• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

I managed to grind my agility to max yesterday with the April Fools kick buff, kicking fools off the big bridge got me 100xp each, now I need to finish this last survivor rank and I'll be max level on all 3 catagories. Wish I could find me a Gold tier rare weapon though, haven't seen one yet.

Ricker

I managed to grind my agility to max yesterday with the April Fools kick buff, kicking fools off the big bridge got me 100xp each, now I need to finish this last survivor rank and I'll be max level on all 3 catagories. Wish I could find me a Gold tier rare weapon though, haven't seen one yet.

Whats the max level anyway...I am up to 21 on all 3...I have the last quest I figure ready to go(I am at 92% story wise it says) and I have 2 sidequests only left and one is a minor fetch quest(stuff for Torgyar in the Slums) plus the lights on the bridge.

Whats the max level anyway...I am up to 21 on all 3...I have the last quest I figure ready to go(I am at 92% story wise it says) and I have 2 sidequests only left and one is a minor fetch quest(stuff for Torgyar in the Slums) plus the lights on the bridge.

25 for survivor, 24 for the other 2 I believe

I guess just run around at night to grind out the remaining xp?

I believe 24 for agility and strength/combat and survivor is 25.

Megatron

Many of you may already know, but as a heads up, you can redeem some codes on their site and get some free weapons dockets.

https://dockets.dyinglightgame.com/

redemption code for 3 dockets: N0A-8DF-09TB

redemption code for 1 docket: GRE-31SV-NBOH-FUDQH

redemption code fore 3 dockets ALIENWARE

redemption code for 1 docket 8NF5DKTBV3

These do expire. So make sure you log in/create an account, link your system of choice, and enter in these codes before they expire. You pick up the dockets in game from the quartermaster.

Megatron

Here is a better list of the free docket codes.

RAZER
DE8746TYSU8
DF6KUB798UN
DFBUIK7KLIU
8NF5DKTBV3
GRE31SVNBOHFUDQH
N0A8DF09TB
R9ADFNHSGX
ALIENWARE
NQ4THDFBUH

By the way, why isn't this thread in community?

Anyone want to do the Polyamory achievement on Xbox One right now? I've got a group of 3 and we need 1 more. Gonna run through 5 quarantine zones.

edit: eh, we ended up quitting and didn't get to it.

Ricker

Fuck this awful parkour section in the end sequence,I will try again tomorrow.

EDIT; finally made it,damn that was a lot of fall to your death lol...and that final fight,should of guessed it, but it wasn't so bad...

Awesome game in general though,I wonder what they will do for the sequel,if there is one.It sold pretty well though and Zombie's are still a thing so I'm pretty sure they will.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally beat this. Everything except for the last 30 seconds of interactivity was honestly great. Had a blast the whole way through, and there's plenty of side junk left for whenever I feel like a bout of parkour zombie murder.

Denton

I am playing FarCry 4 now and it is pretty hard after Dying Light. The Ubisoft's quest design is terrible in comparison, not to mention the lack of movement freedom. I still like it, but techland definitely showed Ubisoft here.

SomTervo

Finally beat this. Everything except for the last 30 seconds of interactivity was honestly great. Had a blast the whole way through, and there's plenty of side junk left for whenever I feel like a bout of parkour zombie murder.

It really is a great game, imo. One of those great game's that's great because it so purely captures a sense of fun, playfulness and atmosphere, rather than any high-brow immersion or consistency.

I am playing FarCry 4 now and it is pretty hard after Dying Light. The Ubisoft's quest design is terrible in comparison, not to mention the lack of movement freedom. I still like it, but techland definitely showed Ubisoft here.

Yeah, Far Cry 4 felt very....soulless, for lack of a better term. I loved FC3 but FC4 just never clicked for me.

I loved just about every minute of Dying Light though, they really nailed the FPS parkour and its just fun to goof off in the world. The story is terrible though.

SomTervo

I loved just about every minute of Dying Light though, they really nailed the FPS parkour and its just fun to goof off in the world. The story is terrible though.

I wouldn't call the story terrible. The first half of it is remarkably decent. The tension between you-as-double-agent as well as actual survivor was really well done, and it has some really well written characters in there, for example the only female character. I think it has one of the most convincing and well-developed apocalyptic worlds too. It feels like a fairly lived in, dynamic place.

The last hour or so of main story campaign content absolutely drops the ball though. Shit and clichés everywhere. I think the rest of the story and a lot of the side quests make up for this.

Denton

Yeah, Far Cry 4 felt very....soulless, for lack of a better term. I loved FC3 but FC4 just never clicked for me.

Yeah soulless is a good word. Such a carbon copy.

I disagree about story being terrible in DL. It was not amazing on the whole, but serviceable. Some of the pieces of writing were genuinely great though, especially in Old Town. And Crane was a good protagonist.

I wouldn't call the story terrible. The first half of it is remarkably decent. The tension between you-as-double-agent as well as actual survivor was really well done, and it has some really well written characters in there, for example the only female character. I think it has one of the most convincing and well-developed apocalyptic worlds too. It feels like a fairly lived in, dynamic place.

The last hour or so of main story campaign content absolutely drops the ball though. Shit and clichés everywhere. I think the rest of the story and a lot of the side quests make up for this.

Having just finished the game, I have to agree with this. There are so many missed opportunities in this game.

Game spoilers:
1. You've been carrying a vial of antizin from the very first drop that you (for whatever stupid reason) destroy. Yet you have to let Jade die because you can't give her a shot...

2. Let's touch on that: why destroy the antizin? Why not just hide it somewhere?

3. "The bombs will drop in two days!" Don't do this shit in a game that ACTUALLY HAS A TIME SYSTEM. I think it was about a month between "TWO DAYS!" and me actually getting to that point instead of clearing quarantine zones, amusing some dude who wants to see me climb a tower and just fucking around helping kids and shit.

4. That was possibly the least satisfying ending sequence in recent memory, for me. I had been carrying Rais's pistol since I got it, just to shoot him in the fucking face with it. Instead, QTE...

I have 54 hours played, almost all of which was done in co-op. I had a ton of fun, right up until the end, when I just stared at my screen like "what the fucking fucksticks".

SomTervo

Having just finished the game, I have to agree with this. There are so many missed opportunities in this game.

Game spoilers:
1. You've been carrying a vial of antizin from the very first drop that you (for whatever stupid reason) destroy. Yet you have to let Jade die because you can't give her a shot...

2. Let's touch on that: why destroy the antizin? Why not just hide it somewhere?

3. "The bombs will drop in two days!" Don't do this shit in a game that ACTUALLY HAS A TIME SYSTEM. I think it was about a month between "TWO DAYS!" and me actually getting to that point instead of clearing quarantine zones, amusing some dude who wants to see me climb a tower and just fucking around helping kids and shit.

4. That was possibly the least satisfying ending sequence in recent memory, for me. I had been carrying Rais's pistol since I got it, just to shoot him in the fucking face with it. Instead, QTE...

I have 54 hours played, almost all of which was done in co-op. I had a ton of fun, right up until the end, when I just stared at my screen like "what the fucking fucksticks".

Ha!

Yes, it's a pity. Maybe it was a budget thing that the ending was such a cop-out. Felt very rushed in comparison to the well paced opening hours.

Let's hope it shows a turn for the better for Techland. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger was really good, too, and that was them, right? That was even pretty well written. I used to despise Techland and everything they stood for but now they're turning in my mind into a company I'd almost call myself a fan of.

Denton

I used to despise Techland and everything they stood for but now they're turning in my mind into a company I'd almost call myself a fan of.

What the hell?
Why is that.
They have been making great games since Chrome and especially Call of Juarez.

SomTervo

What the hell?
Why is that.
They have been making great games since Chrome and especially Call of Juarez.

I never enjoyed Chrome that much, pretty janky even for the time, and the Call of Juarez series always seemed well intentioned but unfortunately a bit mediocre.

It was actually Dead Island which really soured them for me. I felt insulted by it and I fully agreed with Edge Magazine's 4/10. They designed an amazing world then put dull zombies in the same places every time. The combat made no sense for hours until you levelled up and weapons started behaving realistically. Driving was a nice inclusion but a little clunky and quite unnecessary - and they smartly removed it in Dying Light, which is a far bigger game. Co-op didn't really add anything because the mechanics were so... mechanical. It felt like a box-tick, trying to arbitrarily out-do Left 4 Dead. The writing and voice acting was insultingly bad. It felt like basically a badly managed, middle-budget zombie game which got huge rep because they lucked out on a trailer made by a third party media company. Riptide seemed like more of the same.

Literally all of the problems above, the issues I had with DI, were fixed in Dying Light. It even went further by adding amazing parkour into the mix. Plus Call of Juarez Gunslinger is possibly one of the best western games ever made.

I suppose it would be simpler to say they've obviously matured a lot as a company and are making better management and development decisions as time goes on. I really look forward to their future output.

skybald

That Mount Everest trophy is definitely a bitch. So close to a platinum but might give up on it because of that.

Does your climb height statistics carry over to another play through?

SomTervo

That Mount Everest trophy is definitely a bitch. So close to a platinum but might give up on it because of that.

Probably carries over to NG+, so maybe push through to finish the story and start NG+ so you have something to do?

Also: I've forgotten, does NG+ scale enemies to be harder in Dying Light? Or is it like standard shitty Western developer practice where everything's the same you just keep levelling your character.

Stanng243

The glitched trophies are driving me crazy. Still haven't gotten the sidequest one, or the safe zone one. And I've done all the safe zones twice.

skybald

The glitched trophies are driving me crazy. Still haven't gotten the sidequest one, or the safe zone one. And I've done all the safe zones twice.

I didn't get the safe zone ones either. Got the side quests one though. Did you try any work arounds posted on the trophy sites?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

I was told it's totaled across all your saves. Which, if true, is pretty cool. Easy enough to test.

Stanng243

I didn't get the safe zone ones either. Got the side quests one though. Did you try any work arounds posted on the trophy sites?

Yeah, that's why I did the safezones twice. The workaround for side quests I found is do a newgame plus and start doing quests all over again,. I think the safezone thing may be related to a specific safezone with one of the exploders. He exploded, killing me and the last zombie, so when i respawned elsewhere, it informed me the safe zone was unlocked. I'm thinking it may not have registered right.

Denton

I never enjoyed Chrome that much, pretty janky even for the time, and the Call of Juarez series always seemed well intentioned but unfortunately a bit mediocre.

It was actually Dead Island which really soured them for me. I felt insulted by it and I fully agreed with Edge Magazine's 4/10. They designed an amazing world then put dull zombies in the same places every time. The combat made no sense for hours until you levelled up and weapons started behaving realistically. Driving was a nice inclusion but a little clunky and quite unnecessary - and they smartly removed it in Dying Light, which is a far bigger game. Co-op didn't really add anything because the mechanics were so... mechanical. It felt like a box-tick, trying to arbitrarily out-do Left 4 Dead. The writing and voice acting was insultingly bad. It felt like basically a badly managed, middle-budget zombie game which got huge rep because they lucked out on a trailer made by a third party media company. Riptide seemed like more of the same.

Literally all of the problems above, the issues I had with DI, were fixed in Dying Light. It even went further by adding amazing parkour into the mix. Plus Call of Juarez Gunslinger is possibly one of the best western games ever made.

I suppose it would be simpler to say they've obviously matured a lot as a company and are making better management and development decisions as time goes on. I really look forward to their future output.

I disagree hard, Dead Island had great atmosphere and melee combat, I encountered no bugs. Enjoyed it a lot more than Left 4 Dead, which is just linear fastpaced shooter, not slow deliberate atmospheric game.
Writing was pretty bad though, yeah.

Glad to see you enjoyed Dying Light though, they knocked it out of the part. I am still impressed by how incredibly good the game looks, runs and feels while playing.

Call of Juarez was never mediocre, until Cartel that is. That one was indeed very mediocre.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Encountered no bugs in Dead Island?

Jesus christ... stop what you are doing right now and go buy a lottery ticket. You near-supernaturally lucky person.

Denton

Encountered no bugs in Dead Island?

Jesus christ... stop what you are doing right now and go buy a lottery ticket. You near-supernaturally lucky person.

Well maybe there was some enemy levitating once or twice or something silly like that, but nothing I would take bigger notice of.
If there was one thing that pissed me off about DI from tech standpoint, it was pretty bad LoD, switching models of objects just few meters away. That was annoying and I was very happy to see this completely fixed in DL, which has almost perfect LoD system.

JoeNut

So ive just got to the bit where
you blow up the high rise with c4 and that guy dies whose name i don't remember because the character development is awful
and i have kinda realised that
unlike the dead island games, it doesn't feel like im going to unlock a new map area at all during this game
without spoiling it for me, can someone confirm im right? because that would be a disappointment

Denton

you blow up the high rise with c4 and that guy dies whose name i don't remember because the character development is awful
unlike the dead island games, it doesn't feel like im going to unlock a new map area at all during this game
without spoiling it for me, can someone confirm im right? because that would be a disappointment

There are two maps, Slums and Old Town, and Old Town is even better part of the game.

You´re wrong. You´re also very near that point.

I am thinking of picking this game up today. Is it worth the 35 euro's? I have always been a huge fan of the Dead Island series but the wonky combat always left me with a sour taste.

goonergaz

So I picked this up thanks to the release day mix-up, however other than trying (and frankly hating) the training bit I decided to put it down until I had finished Far Cry 4 (I struggle playing 2 'big' games at one time due to forgetting which buttons do what).

Anyway, so I finsihed FC4 a couple weeks ago (which I loved, but then I never played FC3) - oh, it's also worth pointing out I never get the whole skill tree thing - does my head in having to learn so much stuff, but having played FC4 (and having help from my kids lol) that has helped me now fully understand how these things work!

So I've been busy with DIY so no gaming really - I played the training bit again and this time it just 'clicked' for me, I've played a couple of hours worth and I know it's early days but being a zombie fan I can see me loving this game...I'm so glad I waited (and TBH probably having the break helped too) and having played FC4 now I have a grip on the skill trees (and I have my kids to help me get going) I can see me getting loads out of this game.

My daughter has got to the last level, does anyone know - can you continue to play after the last level?

ezekial45

Banned
Just finished the game. I had a blast, this was way better than Dead Island. Techland was right to make this game instead of Dead Island 2. Anyway, I'm just clearing up some unfinished business. I finished all the Quarantine Zones, and I'm looking for more stuff to get involved with. Got some questions, though.

- What exactly is the is the strongest weapon in the game? I'm mostly using some modded weapons I found in the shop and in chests. Is there any secret gear I can find (exception to EXPcalibur and the machete from the lock box).

- How can I get back to Old Town from the Slums?

- What the hell are Dark Zones? I came across some, and I never understood what they were about.

This game is an absolute blast to play and the parkour system is miles better than Mirror's Edge. It is more refined, more subtle and easier to handle. Not to crap upon ME, though. That game basically introduced the entire mechanic.

I also love the lite-RPG mechanics so there is a never a dull moment and the game gives you the feeling that you are doing everything for a reason, instead of it just 'being there'

OuterLimits

Despite the mixed reviews, I bought the game yesterday. Since I somewhat liked Dead Island, I figured I would enjoy this as well.

Is the game pretty stable?(ps4) Dead Island was fun but a bug fest at times.

Ricker

Despite the mixed reviews, I bought the game yesterday. Since I somewhat liked Dead Island, I figured I would enjoy this as well.

Is the game pretty stable?(ps4) Dead Island was fun but a bug fest at times.

No problems whatsoever and I played close to 50 hours,if not more...

I am thinking of picking this game up today. Is it worth the 35 euro's? I have always been a huge fan of the Dead Island series but the wonky combat always left me with a sour taste.

Yes.(EDIT: Saw you got it and enjoying it,cool ;) )

Yes.(EDIT: Saw you got it and enjoying it,cool ;) )

Watched some gameplay videos on youtube and I thought; what the heck.

Glad I did because this game captures an abandoned, zombie filled city perfectly and the vertical gameplay is something I have never witnessed before in a FPS.

It isn't just there for the sake of being present, but it enhances the gameplay on so many levels that there is a never a dull moment in each scenario.

jond76

Banned
Watched some gameplay videos on youtube and I thought; what the heck.

Glad I did because this game captures an abandoned, zombie filled city perfectly and the vertical gameplay is something I have never witnessed before in a FPS.

It isn't just there for the sake of being present, but it enhances the gameplay on so many levels that there is a never a dull moment in each scenario.

It's a super good game. I need to go back in and wrap up some loose ends.

Denton

This will most likely by in my TOP 3 this year, behind only Witcher 3 and GTA V.
I just wish Techland would announce some expansion already.

What a great game. Just beat it,
ending was lame af. Like a qte? Seriously? And then literally nothing happens afterwards. Prep for dlc(?)and sequel I guess

danowat

Banned
LTTP with this, but the recent PSN sale pushed me over the edge.

I loved Dead Island and Dead Island riptide, but am a little bit disappointing in this, I know the focus is on parkour and running, but the combat is no where near as good as DI, also, the zombies appear to be much less detailed than DI, even though that was on last gen.

Anyway, a couple of questions if I may.

1) How does the save system work?, saves every time the saving icon comes up?, what about quitting, do quests have a checkpoint system?

2) The penalty for dying during a mission appears to be survivor points?, is there any way to get these back?, I notice the amounts are different, what determines how many you lose?, do they get taken off the pool you've accrued in that quest?, just basically how this mechanic works

Top Bottom