• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: The Following |OT| Still has zombies in swimsuits

Man, it's good and fun. I'm having so much fun with my buddy hah.

The framerates are.... Iffy, but so far, I haven't encountered super bad low frames. The only bad instance I did receive bad frames was at a certain part of the map and the frames took a huge dip but when I left the frames returned back to normal.

Nightmare difficulty though..... By buddha's belly, this is hair pullingly annoying but I love it. Granted I have been cheesing the tougher enemies with explosive throwing stars.

Also, fuck Virals. Fuck them hard.

Also dat Souls/Borne feeling of losing Legendary points ;_;

Mifec

So I don't look through the whole thread, does the old CA removal tool work on PC? Downloading the game now so I wanna know in advance.

After a few missions, I mostly died from the exploding dudes. When I haven't played for a while I always forget about those until one blows in my face.

GavinUK86

Just made a quick comparison of the old and new PC version.

First row are from the original DL and the second row (without the hud) are from this new one.

Not a lot of difference except being a bit lighter and a few different clothing choices.

I'm getting better performance with it compared to the original though. With everything on max there was noticeable stutter in certain places before but it seems pretty solid now. I have an i7 2600k, 8gb ram and a 970.

02o3eo6d.jpg
04ok2re5.jpg
06omzq9p.jpg

Oh I thought THE FOLLOWING was free if we owned the main game :) It also says I own the enhanced edition but it doesnt say that in steam or when I boot the game up

Patchy

Banned
Just made a quick comparison of the old and new PC version.

First row are from the original DL and the second row (without the hud) are from this new one.

Not a lot of difference except being a bit lighter and a few different clothing choices.

I'm getting better performance with it compared to the original though. With everything on max there was noticeable stutter in certain places before but it seems pretty solid now. I have an i7 2600k, 8gb ram and a 970.

I really wish we could turn off CA in-game...

Holding off on downloading this until my free data kicks in on Sunday. :)

Watched a couple of gameplay videos earlier and really looming forward to it.

I hope it takes over 15 hours to complete, that should last me a while in between dad duty.

ryseing

Oh I thought THE FOLLOWING was free if we owned the main game :) It also says I own the enhanced edition but it doesnt say that in steam or when I boot the game up

... I swear I'm gonna kill whoever at Techland came up with this messaging.

Everyone has the Enhanced Edition. The Enhanced Edition is a patch with the laundry list of improvements mentioned in the OP. The Following is the new expansion that came out along with the patch. You have to pay for that.

God I'm glad you don't need to beat the campaign to play this. I just found out that my old save file didn't load up to the cloud. It was back when they only offered 1gb. And the USB save I had was only half way through the campaign.

abuC

... I swear I'm gonna kill whoever at Techland came up with this messaging.

Everyone has the Enhanced Edition. The Enhanced Edition is a patch with the laundry list of improvements mentioned in the OP. The Following is the new expansion that came out along with the patch. You have to pay for that.

I had the season pass and it was free for me.

Small caveat though is that I have the season pass from that Gamespot deal where the game was $20 total.

Maybe it's just super variable ? But I can tell when it drops big time. Like the game switches to slow motion for a bit. Anyone else seeing this

That's what I'm thinking. On PS4, it seems like it jumps between 30-60 from time to time. When I started earlier today, I definitely felt more responsiveness from my own controls (60 fps possibly). But when I'm around other areas, it jumps all over the place for me.

It's super annoying.

ryseing

Ah cool, I thought it was 19.99 even with the pass.

Season Pass price was actually increased to account for The Following. Originally it was $20 but all you got was the shitty horde mode DLC and preorder bonuses. Techland increased it to $30 once they realized the scope of the expansion.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The new AI behavior is... kind of annoying. They all just charge at you.

And they spawn behind you.

Fucking walking dead ninja zombies now. Booooo!

v0mitg0d

God I'm glad you don't need to beat the campaign to play this. I just found out that my old save file didn't load up to the cloud. It was back when they only offered 1gb. And the USB save I had was only half way through the campaign.

I lost mine too! :(

What happens?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
steam downloaded the update as soon as it started up and it shows "Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition is already in your Steam library" but when i go into dying light and Play i don't have the option to play the following. just campaign / be the zombie / custom map.

pc eu here, I don't think i have the ultimate edition or anything, it's just the normal version in steam, bought soon after release. going to submit a ticket.

edit: I do have a "Legend" level showing when I load my normal save now, and I'm level 1, but that's a new addition that's part of this DLC, right?

The Following itself was only free for those who already owned the Season Pass. You'll notice that the DLC app for The Following isn't highlighted as being in your library -- you need to either buy the DLC separately or buy the Season Pass.

The confusion stems from the fact that Techland elected to use the original Dying Light app for the Enhanced Edition relaunch and changed its store name accordingly. Much the same thing happened when Capcom changed Super Street Fighter 4 to Ultra Street Fighter 4 as it wasn't abundantly clear that you needed to buy the Ultra SF4 upgrade to actually have access to the Ultra SF4 content.

ryseing

The Following itself was only free for those who already owned the Season Pass. You'll notice that the DLC app for The Following isn't highlighted as being in your library -- you need to either buy the DLC separately or buy the Season Pass.

Again, the messaging about this whole thing has been a damn mess. I appreciate Techland's efforts like the chart in the OP, but the common player doesn't know what the hell is going on and that's entirely on Techland.

Does this DLC benefit from having a high level character? Or can I start from scratch?

most definitely cannot start from scratch, at a minimum you have to complete the intro/prologue of the campaign, and they recommend survivor level 12

I had to start a new playthrough (I thought I had a save from playing the original game, but it wasnt to be found) so played up to the first night mission so I had only level 6 agility and power, and I think 3 or so for survivor

your very first mission you get is to
steal a car and its impossible with a low level character without powerful ranged options, using my best melee weapon I couldnt even kill a single soldier and if you try to just jump into the vehicle and drive off, the soldiers kill you since the car doesnt absorb the bullets

I am finding the original game a chore to play through, so maybe I'll see if I can find a save file on the internet since the original game is too boring for me to get to level 12. its a shame because I really like the concept of driving around and prefer the open setting of the following.

ah well back to dragons dogma PC, at least that game delivered

J_Viper

The lack of any new melee weapons is disappointing.

I'm about two hours into The Following and I'm still rolling with the weapons I had at the end of the main game. Am I missing something?

I also have no idea what that 8 gig patch did, because this looks and plays exactly as it did last January.

Regardless, I'm having a good time with The Following so far. I just wish Techland could've added some more abilities or weapons to go with the new land mass.

On a side note, fuck lock-picking.

N0rbi san

Neo Member
If you encounter bad framerates all the time, then wipe the game from your console and reinstall it completely. It fixed all the problems for me, it's super smooth now.

The only things that bothers me are sneaky zombies that spawns behind you during fights.

Grisby

Oh god. I suck at Dying Light. Haven't played it since completing it a few weeks after launch.

I no know how to make parkour now. Use many med kits.

Seriously though, chirst, I'm rusty. Everything on my old save seems fine, although I have some sidequests that I don't remember getting.

I'm not gonna start The Following until I get a better handle on the game (wonder how my lvl23/24 dude will do). Is that Bozzon or whatever stadium DLC hard? And it seems like I've got two new DLC quarantine deals to check out?

Game is so much fun though, and the nighttime!

M.W.

My fiancé bought the following thinking it was just another $20 zombie game. I don't own DL. Fook.

Rocketz

If you encounter bad framerates all the time, then wipe the game from your console and reinstall it completely. It fixed all the problems for me, it's super smooth now.

The only things that bothers me are sneaky zombies that spawns behind you during fights.

hmmmmmmmmmm I'll give this a shot.

You're fine with just The Following, I'd say.

yeah, i just looked at the other season pass stuff and it all seems pretty skippable

also: is the following a unique character, or does it carry over skills from the base game? i originally finished the game on the PS4, but if i play the following i would do it on the pc but i'm not sure i want to play through the campaign again first (though i totally do want to play through it again eventually)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The new AI behavior is... kind of annoying. They all just charge at you.

And they spawn behind you.

Fucking walking dead ninja zombies now. Booooo!

Yeah zombies spawning out of thin air 2 feet behind you when you're fighting is the fucking worst. What in the hell were they thinking?

Seriously, one of the most rage inducing no-fun things that can happen to you in any FPS game is being hit in the back. So Techland said "hey, let's make the player get hit in the back constantly no matter what they do! This Is Design!"

uggh, that's an 8 hour download on my connection, but the framerate sort of sucks in a lot of spots.

N0rbi san

Neo Member
uggh, that's an 8 hour download on my connection, but the framerate sort of sucks in a lot of spots.

Yes, the download time sucks with my 16Mbit/s connection too, so I did it last night and tested out today morning before work. It definitely better now.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For PS4, is the base game, the Following and all other DLC on the disc or is there a redeem code for some stuff? Thanks.

Robbit_80

Gonna buy this later on Steam, do I just need to buy the base game and the season pass to get everything including 'The Following'?

I am just dying in this game... it's so frustrating...
Even lockpicking... suddenly I get attacked by those fast zombies and I am dead in two hits. My weapons do shit damage and I always get swarmed. I really want to like this... but nope :(

I am not 100% sure, but I think weapon strength scale based on your power/agility level.

I farmed zombies for xp on the bridge at night for a while and the I would find progressively better weapons in the police vans there as I leveled up. I think zombie scaling is either tied to your survivor level or story progression.

It got to a point because my power/agilty level was much higher than my survivor level the game got super easy, even at night because I could kill volatiles with no problem. Also doing the quarantine zones was a waste of time because the bridge police vans dropped way better loot.

I think I have a game breaking bug on the XB1 version. I can't seem to harvest herbs anymore. There is a mission early on that requires you do so and I am not getting the prompt to harvest them following the update.

On a brighter note doing a hard reset seems to have sorted some of the worst of the frame rate issues I was having. Still tanks at times when driving but its definitely better than it was yesterday when any movement made the frame rate dip drastically

Top Bottom