• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: The Following |OT| Still has zombies in swimsuits

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is it me, or does this game insta spawn zombies behind you while you are fighting. I've checked the area, totally clear, no manholes. Started beating on two zombies then suddenly there were three biting my back.

RavenHawk

Is it me, or does this game insta spawn zombies behind you while you are fighting. I've checked the area, totally clear, no manholes. Started beating on two zombies then suddenly there were three biting my back.

They move a lot quicker now, and I did notice some pop-in of zombies last night while on the bridge of the slums last night, so maybe one of these things could explain it?

M.W.

does anyone know what if I've already owned the original game (disk, PS4) in the past but sold it - if i buy now the full extended version (disk), do my save files from original version will work with extended or simply they won't be visible to the new version (because ps4 will somehow treat them as two separate games)? I really would like to play save files with my character from original, but rebuying original version and then dlc is simply not worth for me...

I'd like to know this as well. Anyone have an idea?

bee

damn feels good to be playing again, still no fuckin CA toggle though even if the mod still works, runs a touch worse on pc than the original but also seems to have more effects and it still runs great overall

Barakov

I was doing some side missions last night after the patch hit and noticed that. It happened before before the patch but it was rare. It seems like it happens more often now.

Salsa

I played the main game with Adnor till the last mission which was single player only and went "wtf" and didnt touch the game again

guess i'll finish it now and play this since I bought the Pass before the price increase

still lookin forward to it tho

omonimo

Banned
What issues? It's running better than it was last week. I've put a few more hours into The Following this morning and I stand by what I said last night: it's a more stable 30fps.
Hope you are right. I remember it runs bad just in some side quest or in particular situations but it was fine most of the time. It sound weird could runs worse if they claimed the opposite. Obviously I'm just talking of the solo campaign, never touched the multiplayer. If the solo it's fine, I'm ok with this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hope you are right. I remember it runs bad just in some side quest or in particular situations but it was fine most of the time. It sound weird could runs worse if they claimed the opposite. Obviously I'm just talking of the solo campaign, never touched the multiplayer. If the solo it's fine, I'm ok with this.
Oh, when it runs poorly, it's due to the fact that the frame-rate EXCEEDS 30fps - it does so in the most awful, jarring spikes one could imagine. It rapidly jumps between full 30 and full 60. It remains my single biggest complaint with the PS4 version and it really really destroys all of the interior areas (or when looking towards the sky).

It was never fixed or addressed by the devs and the fact that it's still broken is insane to me when they've spent so much time polishing the game in other areas.

omonimo

Banned
Yeah. I should be surprised but I'm finding it hard to be. What with it being techland and our current console generation. Getting sick and tired of every PS4 game lately having performance issues.
Uh? Aren't you a bit overdramatic now? What games runs worse that you are talking about now?

omonimo

Banned
Oh, when it runs poorly, it's due to the fact that the frame-rate EXCEEDS 30fps - it does so in the most awful, jarring spikes one could imagine. It rapidly jumps between full 30 and full 60. It remains my single biggest complaint with the PS4 version and it really really destroys all of the interior areas (or when looking towards the sky).

It was never fixed or addressed by the devs and the fact that it's still broken is insane to me when they've spent so much time polishing the game in other areas.
In some side quest vysnc drop off and runs with different slowdown (with tons of zombies). It's very rare but could happens at least with me.

Important question:

Is the buggy as ballz-to-the-wallz awesome as it appeared to be in the trailer? Im at work for another 6 hours before I can go home and mow down zombies myself.

hunchback

Something weird is going on. I'm downloading the patch and I notice I get the "Following" expansion for free. The thing is, I didn't order the season pass.

I looked at the chart that was posted and I thought I had to buy either the season pass or just the Following. Oh well, no complaints from me at all. Hopefully I don't run into a bikini zombie tonight, I might never be the same upon seeing it.

Just an FYI for those that were asking earlier, watching TheSixthAxis review on this game and they said you should be at level 18 or 19 before starting The Following.

I'm playing the main campaign and performance is pretty bad at times on the Xbox One.

I didn't play this at launch, but I'm pretty sure this is running worse than it did prior to the EE patch.

Hope they can fix it. Having a blast when I can look past it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Easy way to compare would be to load up he demo, then load up The Enhanced Edition and see the differences..

I actually have 2 PS4s and the game and he demo. Wasn't going to install it yet because I am playing other titles, but may do so in the interest of science.

Is DF going to do an analysis?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just an FYI for those that were asking earlier, watching TheSixthAxis review on this game and they said you should be at level 18 or 19 before starting The Following.

I've been googling and asking this question since last night, and this is the first time it's been answered.

You would think this piece of information would be somewhat important enough to be mentioned by Techland..

Easy way to compare would be to load up he demo, then load up The Enhanced Edition and see the differences..

I actually have 2 PS4s and the game and he demo. Wasn't going to install it yet because I am playing other titles, but may do so in the interest of science.

Is DF going to do an analysis?

Not sure, but I'd appreciate it if you did a little comparison. :D

I've been googling and asking this question since last night, and this is the first time it's been answered.

You would think this piece of information would be somewhat important enough to be mentioned by Techland..

Agreed. The only reason why I wasnt too worried about it is because my character is maxed out right now.

J_Viper

Is there a way to use NG+ in hard mode from normal? I finished the game on normal way back when.

Also, are drops better in the alternate difficulties?

jeemer

If you have the PC version and can't access The Following, it's because Techland forgot to add the common and Linux data depots to several subs. The DLC app itself is in 25 subs but the data depots are only in 11 and judging from the list it seems Ultimate Edition owners are stuck waiting.

steam downloaded the update as soon as it started up and it shows "Dying Light: The Following - Enhanced Edition is already in your Steam library" but when i go into dying light and Play i don't have the option to play the following. just campaign / be the zombie / custom map.

pc eu here, I don't think i have the ultimate edition or anything, it's just the normal version in steam, bought soon after release. going to submit a ticket.

edit: I do have a "Legend" level showing when I load my normal save now, and I'm level 1, but that's a new addition that's part of this DLC, right?

SomTervo

It doesnt seem too hard on PS4 on nightmare, disappointingly had levelled up to 14 on Hard.

I think i'm going to start again fresh on Nightmare. Should be much more intense.

Oh but YOU CAN TURN OFF THE MAP NOW! Think that happened later last year. Makes the game infinitely better. You can still hold X/A to see where you're going, but now you have to use all your senses to keep track of sprinters and volatiles. So intense. Night time atmosphere is amazing.

Oh but YOU CAN TURN OFF THE MAP NOW! Think that happened later last year. Makes the game infinitely better. You can still hold X/A to see where you're going, but now you have to use all your senses to keep track of sprinters and volatiles. So intense. Night time atmosphere is amazing.
Oooohh. So you can still see your next objective if you need to by using survivor vision? I might be up for that.

I think my game has updated, but not sure. The Xbox One used to show an icon on the games and apps list to say when something has updated, but not anymore.

My main issue at the moment is the Demolisher boss fight. I've been trying to do it on hard mode, but couldn't do much... way too hard for me! Tried again this evening (presumably after update) and went back to normal mode. Can't take hardly any damage off him. It's like the game is glitched. Even on hard mode I could chuck a gas canister and take a chunk of health off, but now the bar goes down by a millimetre!

Unsure if this is due to the update or something else. Anyone else had something similar?

Karak

played briefly so far and am loving it. especially the music, one of the first missions where you
get the buggy
has a song similar to the school mission in the main game, which is my ringtone.

As i noted in my review. I do find that the John Carpenter style soundtrack is excellent but sometimes hard to tell if your listening to the original or new tracks. That being said thats a hilariously good problem to have.

I absolutely had to remind people of that in my video. Turning everything off is an insanely different way to play. In fact the landscape and such looks like a pretty State of Decay now. So damned fun with everything off. You have to use the game menu's, ears, eyes, and sixth sense in a whole new way. I found myself plotting along mountainsides and using a far larger number of landmarks than I ever have.

Quick question about co-op: When a player joins your game do the enemies get any tougher like you'd see in a Diablo or Borderlands?

This expansion really does seem like Dying Light's Reaper of Souls, what with the daily bounties and legendary levels (paragon) and the whole new area.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So, I just met a vendor in vanilla... selling a recurve bow.

Arkanius

For someone that wants to buy it for the first time, where can I find the best promo for the game?

Greenmangaming doesnt have the Game + Expansion :(

Evolved1

Were there bows in the original game before the patch? I only played about 6 hours
I've never seen one, and I owned bozak.

Pretty happy right now. You can retrieve your arrows, and R3 goes into precision aim. Animation is solid too, on par with Farcry. Running with the bow animation is better than Farcry even, imo.

derFeef

As i noted in my review. I do find that the John Carpenter style soundtrack is excellent but sometimes hard to tell if your listening to the original or new tracks. That being said thats a hilariously good problem to have.

I absolutely had to remind people of that in my video. Turning everything off is an insanely different way to play. In fact the landscape and such looks like a pretty State of Decay now. So damned fun with everything off. You have to use the game menu's, ears, eyes, and sixth sense in a whole new way. I found myself plotting along mountainsides and using a far larger number of landmarks than I ever have.

Hey when will your video go up? That State of Decay quote.. hngh!

So are people finding the base game looks noticeably different/improved? (eg Definitive edition of TR and sleeping dogs DE both had noticeable improvements like more foliage with more movement, environmental effects like fog etc)

Grisby

Reading about some of these bugs. Picked up the PS4 disc with The Following on it, so I hope when I load it up my original save is fine.

Evolved1

The really, significantly, improved climbing on natural rocks. That used to be so bad, now it's a given you'll grab them. Nice.

Wil348

So are people finding the base game looks noticeably different/improved? (eg Definitive edition of TR and sleeping dogs DE both had noticeable improvements like more foliage with more movement, environmental effects like fog etc)

Not huge differences but the refinements are appreciated. So far I've noticed better lighting, a lot less texture pop-in and I think slightly better foliage. Also, character models are refined as well as animations.

TR and Sleeping Dogs were improved ports from previous generations...the differences arent going to be that big on Dying Light.

Top Bottom