• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: The Following |OT| Still has zombies in swimsuits

ironcreed

Banned
I love Dying Light and this looks fun, but I can definitely wait. Too much on the plate and even more about to release.

Is the worse performance on the PS4 due to the EE patch or is it specific to the expansion pack?

Details seem a bit sketchy from people claiming performance downgrade.

Like, those who are saying that the update messed up the frame rate, when was the last time you played the game before the patch? Just curious to see if its people that remember a better frame rate or really played it back to back.

Details seem a bit sketchy from people claiming performance downgrade.

Like, those who are saying that the update messed up the frame rate, when was the last time you played the game before the patch? Just curious to see if its people that remember a better frame rate or really played it back to back.

Didn't play the expansion last night but I did mess around in the main game. I didn't notice a downgrade at all. It felt a bit smoother TBH.

If you download The Following, do you still need to download the new patch for the main game? (I'm assuming so, as it's about 4 times the size...)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow, the update did some magic to the framerate, it wasn't bad per say, but disabling Vsync now gets me between 50-110 FPS, usually around the 60 range with a lot of zombies around.

This is on an FX6300 at that. Marvelous. GPU is a 280X. Also didn't realise turning vsync off would make the game feel that much better, the stuttery feeling is gone.

I really want to like this game. Played the demo on Steam of the base game and it just didn't grab me. But on paper I was so sure it would be something I'd really enjoy.

So am I missing out? Is the demo a fair reflection of the game or should I give it another crack (either the original or this expansion)?

ryseing

I really want to like this game. Played the demo on Steam of the base game and it just didn't grab me. But on paper I was so sure it would be something I'd really enjoy.

So am I missing out? Is the demo a fair reflection of the game or should I give it another crack (either the original or this expansion)?

From what others have said the demo is not representative. FWIW the parkour abilities open up much more after you start leveling up and gaining new abilities. And the expansion isn't standalone (really regret using that wording in the OP) so you'd have to buy the $60 package.

From what others have said the demo is not representative. FWIW the parkour abilities open up much more after you start leveling up and gaining new abilities. And the expansion isn't standalone (really regret using that wording in the OP) so you'd have to buy the $60 package.

Thanks for the info. I may give it another try.

Wil348

Performance seems better for me on PS4, especially when fighting a lot of zombies. Lighting looks better too.

mileS

Wut? Techland said to improve performance with the enhanced edition... the fuck.

Yeah. I should be surprised but I'm finding it hard to be. What with it being techland and our current console generation. Getting sick and tired of every PS4 game lately having performance issues.

Luck

does anyone know what if I've already owned the original game (disk, PS4) in the past but sold it - if i buy now the full extended version (disk), do my save files from original version will work with extended or simply they won't be visible to the new version (because ps4 will somehow treat them as two separate games)? I really would like to play save files with my character from original, but rebuying original version and then dlc is simply not worth for me...

Are the performance issues on the PS4 due to the EE patch or is it specific to the expansion pack?
What issues? It's running better than it was last week. I've put a few more hours into The Following this morning and I stand by what I said last night: it's a more stable 30fps.

legacyzero

Banned
So tell me, GAF...

This eas my number 3 GOTY for 2015. Should I buy this new version right now? I oen the vanilla PC Version, but it eats up my 670. So Im considering getting the PS4 version of this new edition.

NeoRaider

Worked better for me than original game on exact same rig.

Wow, the update did some magic to the framerate, it wasn't bad per say, but disabling Vsync now gets me between 50-110 FPS, usually around the 60 range with a lot of zombies around.

This is on an FX6300 at that. Marvelous. GPU is a 280X. Also didn't realise turning vsync off would make the game feel that much better, the stuttery feeling is gone.

Glad to read this, PC version of this game was always better looking and it worked better than consoles. It's great that they optimized it even more.

SomTervo

We've answered your exact question in a different thread but you never came back :/

The demo is honestly not even the tip of the iceberg. It's the molecule on the tip of the iceberg. You get so much more in the full game and the skill tree gives you so many play options.

Not to mention you didn't get to experience any of the really hard missions or night-time trysts.

SomTervo

Is it me or the game is considerably harder?
playing on hard normal campaign

Someone a couple of pages back said zombies seemed super tough on Hard.

Gets me excited. The game was still too easy on Hard.

And now there's nightmare to boot... *rubs hands*

Yeah. I should be surprised but I'm finding it hard to be. What with it being techland and our current console generation. Getting sick and tired of every PS4 game lately having performance issues.

I don't mind performance issues as long as a game is playable (massively enjoyed AC Unity despite issues) but the fact that PS4 is the more powerful of the main consoles doesn't exactly instil one with confidence.

Hmm I got the whole $20 gamestop bug back when this first came out. . . shouldn't this be free for me? as I'm seeing it for $19.99

My guess is that it'll be fixed by the time the store does its normal mid-day update. I'm seeing the same thing.

Load the game and go to the store in-game (Press Square on PS4). You'll have to download the patch first to be able to access the store.

So do I need to start a new play through or can my original character in new game + hard mode access the following?

Your character + progress will be imported into The Following.

I can't seem to find how to start up the following. Main menu I just have continue (to my ng+ story) or play (new game, load game, play custom map).
Could someone help me? :(

Once you install the patch, install The Following DLC by going to the store from the in-game menu (press Square to access the store), and then it'll be under Play.

Anyone know if a save from the vanilla game will work with the new retail disc?

It should transform your save into a new save.

We've answered your exact question in a different thread but you never came back :/

I thought it seemed familiar to me. The perils of posting too much on GAF! Thanks for the info though, it always seemed like there had to be more to it, given how well regarded it is on GAF and elsewhere.

One of those strange incidences where a demo is actually a hindrance to selling a game!?

MaKTaiL

I'm continuing with original save, was a walk in the park and now I'm dying left and right :O

Yes, they made Hard even harder now. You have to aim more at the head to kill as opposed to before. Nightmare mode is even more insane, my weapons feel like plastic spoons.

SomTervo

I thought it seemed familiar to me. The perils of posting too much on GAF! Thanks for the info though, it always seemed like there had to be more to it, given how well regarded it is on GAF and elsewhere.

One of those strange incidences where a demo is actually a hindrance to selling a game!?

Could well be, man!

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did if you dive in :]

DarkFlame

Banned
Ok,i'm convinced to buy this game in the next couple of days.As i get it there are 2 standalone campaigns now with the expansion and you use the same character between the 2?

For a total newcome to the game,is it intended to play the main campaign first,then hop into the expansion?

ryseing

Ok,i'm convinced to buy this game in the next couple of days.As i get it there are 2 standalone campaigns now with the expansion and you use the same character between the 2?

For a total newcome to the game,is it intended to play the main campaign first,then hop into the expansion?

Yes and yes. The expansion is intended to be endgame content essentially.

RavenHawk

Is it me or the game is considerably harder?
playing on hard normal campaign

I'm continuing with original save, was a walk in the park and now I'm dying left and right :O

Yes, they made Hard even harder now. You have to aim more at the head to kill as opposed to before. Nightmare mode is even more insane, my weapons feel like plastic spoons.

I (briefly) tested the difficulty levels last night (X1), and even on "normal", the zombies are tougher than before. Now they will swarm more quickly and are a bit more difficult to take down.

It also appears that they nerfed the explosion on the trap bombs :(

SomTervo

I (briefly) tested the difficulty levels last night (X1), and even on "normal", the zombies are tougher than before. Now they will swarm more quickly and are a bit more difficult to take down.

It also appears that they nerfed the explosion on the trap bombs :(

Perhaps that's what they meant by AI improvements?

I am very pleased, if so. It's all the game needed to fulfil it's promise as a really intense, realistic zombie city simulator.

Edit: my patch download has 17 mins on the clock... hnnnnggg

zatara

played briefly so far and am loving it. especially the music, one of the first missions where you
get the buggy
has a song similar to the school mission in the main game, which is my ringtone.

Top Bottom