• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: The Following |OT| Still has zombies in swimsuits

Well this is bogus - xbox.com store still showing The Following as $20 even though I've purchased the season pass. Hopefully it's free on the xbox itself.

The website shows as $20 for me too. If I go to Manage Game it's there ready to install, and if I go to The Following on the console storefront, it shows that I own it.

Ledhead

Having fun with this so far. The rural area is quite fun to explore, and the buggy is a blast to cruise around in

Karak

I only have a few basic upgrades, like suspension and turbo. I'm waiting until I can get it decked out with some defensive/offensive gear before going out in it at night

As I said in my review its like someone got their Madmax in my Dying Light

Bahlor

I mean, I bought the main game on US PSN... Can i buy the expansion on other region?

Oh I'm sorry... don't know that. Got both on my US account and playing just fine with my german account. As this game isn't even out over here, it was almost the only way for me.

derFeef

I am just dying in this game... it's so frustrating...
Even lockpicking... suddenly I get attacked by those fast zombies and I am dead in two hits. My weapons do shit damage and I always get swarmed. I really want to like this... but nope :(

Patiently waiting on a DF analysis of this game. I want to know how the XB1 version fares, but the comments in this thread aren't very promising.

Karak

Is the buggy xp grind slower than any of the other skills? One of the other reviews I saw said it felt like it took longer to level up the buggy.

Hmmm. I got skills pretty quick at first. But skills come as you use them so they are tied into actions. I don't feel like they were abnormally slow but there are less than normal skills.

Even lockpicking... suddenly I get attacked by those fast zombies and I am dead in two hits. My weapons do shit damage and I always get swarmed. I really want to like this... but nope :(

Sounds like you need to lower the difficulty. You get rushed by the fast fuckers much more on Hard.

derFeef

Sounds like you need to lower the difficulty. You get rushed by the fast fuckers much more on Hard.

I am already on normal. I now died 4 times at the same safe house I wanted to clean because I get swarmed. Two of those fast fuckers and I am dead, no dice. I hit them like 10 times and it does nothing. Gave up.
Then I wanted to rescue some from a gang (or how those are called), 5 of them, they come 1 by 1 so I say okay let's do this. I hit them like 20 times and nothing happens, two weapons broke and I am out of weapons. ALT-F4. :(

MaKTaiL

I am already on normal. I now died 4 times at the same safe house I wanted to clean because I get swarmed. Two of those fast fuckers and I am dead, no dice. I hit them like 10 times and it does nothing. Gave up.
Then I wanted to rescue some from a gang (or how those are called), 5 of them, they come 1 by 1 so I say okay let's do this. I hit them like 20 times and nothing happens, two weapons broke and I am out of weapons. ALT-F4. :(

This is wierd. Normal wasn't suppose to spawn the Runners until you are higher level. Even so they die pretty fast.

Hope you are right. I remember it runs bad just in some side quest or in particular situations but it was fine most of the time. It sound weird could runs worse if they claimed the opposite. Obviously I'm just talking of the solo campaign, never touched the multiplayer. If the solo it's fine, I'm ok with this.

Alright I came across a situation that made the framerate buckle: downpour rain during the daytime in an open field with tons of zombies while I'm trying to run them over.
Other than that one time (it doesn't seem to rain too often in the countryside), it's pretty solid.

Run from them. I do anyway, only fighting when I have an advantage. You can also keep out of their sight to keep them from going aggro in the first place. In this game even more than others there's no shame in running - its half the fun ;p

At least until you feel you can go toe to toe with them.

derFeef

Run from them. I do anyway, only fighting when I have an advantage. You can also keep out of their sight to keep them from going aggro in the first place. In this game even more than others there's no shame in running - its half the fun ;p

At least until you feel you can go toe to toe with them.

Yeah but I a am not finishing objectives or getting better (earning XP). A figh with 4 humans and 2 fast fuckers is no fun... how in the world should I get the airdrop? Never I guess.

DirtyLarry

So does The Following have a sort of grace period that gives you time to get reaclimated with the game or does it just throw you right into the madness?
I seriously have not played this game in over a half a year and know I need some time to get familiar with it again, so wondering if I should play the normal game for an hour or two or just dive right in. I am almost a Level 16.

Yeah but I a am not finishing objectives or getting better (earning XP). A figh with 4 humans and 2 fast fuckers is no fun... how in the world should I get the airdrop? Never I guess.
You mean the early airdrop you have to get in the campaign? If its guarded by Rais' thugs you shouldn't try to take them on. I was doing that last night - getting my ass kicked again and again before I realized I was supposed to leave them be and go for the second drop instead.

If you mean the normal airdrops that happen in the world, yeah, I always looked to them as the kind of thing you tackle in co-op, like the dungeons and some of the harder lockpicking scenarios. At least in the early going.

Of course, that said I'm sure somebody with hundreds of hours in the game will chime in on how stupid easy it is to solo all of that stuff ;p

Teggy

My performance on xbox one for the expansion is terrrrrrible. I'm hoping I just need a reboot or something.

Teggy

So does The Following have a sort of grace period that gives you time to get reaclimated with the game or does it just throw you right into the madness?
I seriously have not played this game in over a half a year and know I need some time to get familiar with it again, so wondering if I should play the normal game for an hour or two or just dive right in. I am almost a Level 16.

Not a thing. I had to look up the controls in the menu even.

You mean the early airdrop you have to get in the campaign? If its guarded by Rais' thugs you shouldn't try to take them on. I was doing that last night - getting my ass kicked again and again before I realized I was supposed to leave them be and go for the second drop instead.

If you mean the normal airdrops that happen in the world, yeah, I always looked to them as the kind of thing you tackle in co-op, like the dungeons and some of the harder lockpicking scenarios. At least in the early going.

Of course, that said I'm sure somebody with hundreds of hours in the game will chime in on how stupid easy it is to solo all of that stuff ;p

humans are super easy to deal with if you have molotovs

alternatively, you can try leading zombies to them with firecrackers

derFeef

Well then the game is not for me. I loved Dead Island so much :( But after 10 hours or so I just give up... I can't even kill zombies if I need to. Sounds like the DLC is fun but I guess it will have the same spikes for me.

DirtyLarry

Not a thing. I had to look up the controls in the menu even.
Thanks for letting me know. Considering I was pressing X like a mad man wondering why I was not jumping I know at the very least I will be looking at the controls in the menu numerous times, and I might play the original game some as I said.

I get why they did it, but I also feel like they should have kept in mind that a lot of us have not played the game in quite some time.

Super small critique though, and I feel like an ass even pointing it out, as it is so damn awesome that pretty much a year later we have a whole new game to play. That is amazing no doubt.

FLEABttn

Banned
So the game update isn't clear on this. I have to start The Following as a new game? I can't load up my current game and get a quest that sends me off to The Following or something?

jond76

Banned

What's your character's level? I hear they recommend being at least 18-19.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm having fun, but they need to fix my ninja outfit.

J_Viper

Apologies if this was already answered, but are there any benefits to playing on Hard?

I was hoping for an increase of better gear dropping, but I haven't found any weapons better than the ones I've been using since the end of the main game.

If there isn't any, I'll switch back to Normal in a heartbeat, Hard just isn't at all enjoyable.

Korezo

I played yesterday to get ready and was impressed with the graphics, now with the game updated I went straight to the DLC and the graphics are bothering my eyes and giving me motion sickness. I disabled the terrible film grain.

Has anyone tried a new character with the following? ie a new character that just got through enough of the main campaign to finish the prologue?

Game recommends level 12 survivor tree, but I dont know how that correlates to the actual in game scaling in the Following (it is it POSSIBLE with level 3 character, just a bit harder or dont even bother trying since enemies assume a minimum player level of 12...)

Well you lose xp when you die, but you get str and agl points from fighting and jumping and you never lose those. It's like an RPG, you might have to grind a couple of levels. In the beginning I mostly ran and always modded my weapons the best I could even if it broke after only a few hits.

It's important to keep the noise low in the beginning. If you blow something get the hell out and come back.

Later on... I was completely OP and thrashing the night runners 3 at a time with my blazing sword.

Just got the trophy for kicking 100 zombies off the bridge. I tried to kick every single one I met on rooftops during the normal game and the secondary quests and that wasn't near enough.

Still need to rescue more hostages...

If there isn't any, I'll switch back to Normal in a heartbeat, Hard just isn't at all enjoyable.
I was pondering playing on hard until I started fighting some early zombies and it took six or seven head smacks with my wrench to take them down. I don't think I'd like the game any better by adding to that number.

The first humans I ran into - those three thugs from the first air drop campaign mission - I tried fighting them. I beat them and beat them and beat them until my wrenches broke and my pipes broke and they took it all in stride like it was nothing. That's already too much.

So I think I may have to find my difficulty sweet spot in other methods like disabling HUD elements. I'm glad that option exists.

Top Bottom