• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: The Following |OT| Still has zombies in swimsuits

skynidas

Banned
damn it, i was looking forward to picking this up. i played the demo on pc recently and really enjoyed it so said to myself i'd wait for the EE and now it seems that's got a load of bugs/issues? what the hell? this is supposed to be an enhanced edition.

not sure if i should still get it. on steam there is the "dying light the following enhanced edition" for £39.99 but i can't see if this includes "the following" dlc and the season pass. i thought it was supposed to but i'm not dropping £40 to find out i need to pay another £40!

the enhanced edition includes everything

thenexus6

Just updated, gonna check it out now. Sucks we have to wait until Friday for the DLC.

This update isn't the enhanced one then?

EDIT: Nice one!! The update just completely wiped out my entire backpack, no items, weapons anything..

Luckily my stash seems to be untouched.

WTF Techland

Cross posting from review thread.

So my review isn't published yet, but while I enjoyed this, I had some conflicting feelings. The focus on driving is huge and thus getting around the map in a timely manner requires it. Which means expect to drive around A LOT. It's fun, but you won't get close to even making a dent in the skill tree for it by the time you finish. Also the parkour seems like way less of a focus now, which was half the fun in the original. It's still here but more segmented. I enjoyed the expansion, it's a great epilogue to the game with lots of new additions and enhancements to the core game. Just if you folks don't like the driving, they could end up feeling a bit dissapointed with how much it's a focus.

A few hours into this now and I have a stinking headache from playing, seriously this frame rate is bad. It struggles in almost every section, even indoors. I'm playing the XB1 version installed onto an external drive. I'd hazard a guess that this struggles to hit a steady 25fps for the majority of play. I've already warned my friends who were tempted to pick it up.

I don't recall the base game being anywhere near this poor. I'm half tempted to see if Microsoft will refund me for it as I'm seriously struggling to play without feeling ill

ManeKast

Yeh wow i gotta do most of the the sidequests again?! I'm also up to a main story quest I have already done?

PS4. Just applied the 7gb update. Oh wells... Not too bad but annoying.

Liamc723

I can understand the Enhaced Edition releasing on Friday here in the UK because it has a retail version, but it makes no sense to hold back the actual Following DLC until then.

I want to play it now, why are we made to wait?

Good DLC.
Me and my brother goofed around in the buggies for a solid hour before continuing on with the story.

Still... I hope Techland clear up any bugs thats been introduced in a patch and finally move back on to finishing Hellraid.

Ledhead

Just downloading the patch now. Unfortunately, I have class in an hour or so, which means I'll have to put this off for a little bit. Sucks to hear about the performance on XB1. How does it handle on PS4?

DirtyLarry

Hmm I got the whole $20 gamestop bug back when this first came out. . . shouldn't this be free for me? as I'm seeing it for $19.99

Are you logged in? When I clicked add to cart it made me log in then it was free.

Was showing as $19.99 for me as well, added to cart and it was free. So giancarlo123 is indeed right on this. Just add to cart if you think you should get it for free. I am downloading to my PS4 now while at work.

SomTervo

Mainly interested to see exactly what new AI behaviours and animations there are. I played the Vanilla game so much I'm sure I'll pick up on it. Anybody else noticed anything yet?

I imagine humans might get quite a few more behaviours considering how much they worked on human encounters for The Following.

jesu

UK Xbox One season pass holders you can change your console's location to the US and download the Following now.

It will show up as $19.99 in the store but if you click on it it says you all ready own it, do you want to install it.

Downloading now!

Sevenfold

I can understand the Enhaced Edition releasing on Friday here in the UK because it has a retail version, but it makes no sense to hold back the actual Following DLC until then.

I want to play it now, why are we made to wait?

I've been playing the PC version of the DLC all aft. Not sure what you mean.

EDIT: v Ah ok.

thatJohann

There's a PS4 version on the PS Store for $19.99.

If I just want to play The Following - can I buy that one for $20 or do I need to have the full game to buy that one?

Quikies83

I can't seem to find how to start up the following. Main menu I just have continue (to my ng+ story) or play (new game, load game, play custom map).
Could someone help me? :(

MaKTaiL

I'm loving this DLC already. The new missions are much more varied and I just found my first world boss encounter. It was INTENSE, specially because the boss had new macanics and specific spots to take damage.

So has the PS4 performance improved any?

I played a bit of it post-patch last night (I played Dying Light:The Ride custom map). The performance didnt seem any better and it probably didnt help that this map adds so many zombies to small areas that it tanks the framerate a lot.

nym

Neo Member
I played a little on the main game area post patch, and I didn't really notice any difference. I didn't have any performance issues, but I didn't really see a ton pre-patch either. Edit: On PS4

Developer: Techland

Publisher: WB Games

Price: $19.99 standalone DLC/$29.99 as part of the Season Pass/$59.99 as part of the Enhanced Edition

Release: February 9, 2016/February 12 (EU consoles)/April 21 (JP)

Platforms: PC/PS4/XB1

What is Dying Light: The Following?

The Following is the expansion to Techland's 2015 open world zombie game Dying Light. Leave the quarantine zone and investigate a mysterious faith that has asserted itself in the seemingly serene countryside – a region bigger than all areas of Dying Light combined! The expansion is a massive story-based expansion that brings mysterious characters, deadly new weapons, unexpected quests, and fully customizable and drivable dirt buggies.

All-terrain dirt buggies are going to be your key tool to survival and getting around this hazardous countryside. Level up your new Driver Rank skill tree and upgrade your ride to create your most deadly and effective weapon yet. Fully customizable with specialized weapons, attachments, decals and paint jobs, your buggy is going to be your one-way ticket to zombie smashing mayhem.

To get close to the cult and unravel their secrets, players will need to earn the trust of the locals. Through various missions and tasks, players will be able to choose their own path for infiltrating the inner circles of the cultists. As you earn more trust, you’ll be granted more imperative tasks along with access to dark cult secrets which will help unravel the mystery that has taken hold of this once serene land.

What is the Enhanced Edition?
The Enhanced Edition is a package that includes the base game and all of the content included thus far for $59.99. All players will receive a patch that has the following improvements:
  • Legend System
  • Nightmare Difficulty
  • Bounties System
  • New Parkour Moves
  • New Enemy Attacks & Behaviors
  • #DrinkForDLC Content
  • New NPC Models
  • Enhanced Facial Expressions
  • Improved Human Enemy AI
  • Improved Volatile AI
  • Greater Firearm Variety
  • HUD and Video Filter Customizations
  • Audio Upgrades
  • Gameplay Quality Improvements
  • Console Performance Upgrades
  • Overall Game Look and Feel Improvements
Wait, so if I just own the vanilla game, I don't have to buy anything to get access to all of this additional content not included in The Following?

Correct. In fact, this infograph explains everything.

GAF Co-op

Like the original game, The Following includes full four-player online co-op. Quote this post for the spreadsheet and play The Following with some fellow Gaffers!
Spreadsheet
There also is a PSN community. Search for my PSN username (bmc811) to request and post in this thread so I know who you are.

Reviews
Coming soon

Launch trailer

FAQ

So if I don't own Dying Light, what should I buy? What if I only own the vanilla game?
Buy the Enhanced Edition. As for vanilla owners, the Season Pass content value is questionable if you don't want some extra outfits and missions. You're probably better off just getting the expansion.

Other questions as needed will fill this space.

Awesome. Subbed. I bought this game last year and the season pass when it went on sale. I'm glad I waited. I'm playing through Bloodborne atm but might move on to this when I'm finished. I'd be down for some co-op. Feel free to add me. My PSN ID is BigBear4x4

Top Bottom