• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2010 Nintendo Conference (concluded)

Kunan

thechristoph said:
People are getting graphics whorey about handhelds?
No, people just want to prevent misinformation before it spreads.

Honestly, I'm just happy that the horrendous pixellated look of the 3D is gone. I would be happy with just that.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Sorry I started Morgan Webb hate. I almost didn't post about it.

And I'm so happy with 3DS graphics. They are definitely good enough for me. The games look CLEAN so I'm very happy. I've never really demanded a lot of graphics from handhelds.

Miau

Neo Member
So I was watching some parts of the conference again, and after the Donkey Kong trailer they showed the audience.

content

Yes, it was that good. :lol

Rafaelcsa

Damn, that was great! Is there any doubt left that Wii's the best Nintendo console since the SNES? With these new additions Wii's first-party line-up is outstanding, when taken as a whole! Especially when you consider that the system probably still has a couple of years left at least, so stuff like Pikmin, F-Zero and Star Fox could be showing up eventually!

I loved the 3DS as well. Kid Icarus looks great! But I was left with a question: will it have an its own online store? And did they mention anything about DSiWare games being available on it? Iwata did say it was "DSi compatible", but does that actually include the DSiWare store?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Mr. Snrub said:
People are still saying the 3DS doesn't look as good as the PSP?

If it's any consolation, once this thing is available to the general public, the narrative will be that the 3DS is as powerful as a Wii, because 1) visually the average joe won't be able to tell the difference and 2) the Wii is the only other Nintendo machine that is relevant to the mainstream, so it's a natural point of comparison.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
farnham said:
vitality sensor was not shown because they said it doesnt suit e3

they will reveal it soon i guess

Source please.

I'm actually interested in the Vitality Sensor.

ggnoobIGN said:
Very surprised. Metroid's in August ,Zelda and Mario Sports are next year...they're basically banking on solely this and a not heard of in ten years franchise with DKC to carry the first party holiday.

They also have Kirby, Flingsmash, Pokepark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure, and are publishing Samurai Warrior 3.

jrricky said:
Goddamit!! Why the hell is the OP not updated with info like it was last year?

Should be a bannable offense to create an Official Thread if you're not going to update it.

Soule said:
New penny-arcade been posted? I love their panel for the Nintendo conference :lol

It had a dedicated thread. I love that panel too :lol

volmer

E3 2010 Iwata Asks clips:

Step 1: Download rtmpdump. Get the Windows build if you're running Windows.
Step 2: Open a command prompt, change directory to where you put rtmpdump, and paste in the following lines:

Code:
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/iwataasks_miyamoto_3DS -o iwataasks_miyamoto_3DS.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/iwataasks_aonuma_miyamoto -o iwataasks_aonuma_miyamoto.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/iwataasks_spector -o iwataasks_spector.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/iwataasks_sakurai -o iwataasks_sakurai.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/iwataasks_konno_3DS -o iwataasks_konno_3DS.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/iwataasks_konno_nintendogs -o iwataasks_konno_nintendogs.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/iwataasks_tanabe -o iwataasks_tanabe.flv

AppleBlade

Nintendo's conference was so good that it made me want to play my Wii again. I was playing nonstop last night. I'm making list of all the games I need to pick up (since I haven't purchased anything new for it in the last 6 months or so).

Cygnus X-1

Twig said:
Three posts above you, bro. O:

Holy crap. Thank you.

volmer said:

Step 2: Open a command prompt, change directory to where you put rtmpdump, and paste in the following lines:

Code:
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/iwataasks_miyamoto_3DS -o iwataasks_miyamoto_3DS.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/iwataasks_aonuma_miyamoto -o iwataasks_aonuma_miyamoto.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/iwataasks_spector -o iwataasks_spector.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/iwataasks_sakurai -o iwataasks_sakurai.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/iwataasks_konno_3DS -o iwataasks_konno_3DS.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/iwataasks_konno_nintendogs -o iwataasks_konno_nintendogs.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/iwataasks_tanabe -o iwataasks_tanabe.flv

Tried to compile it, but does not work. Can you help me please? I'm using snow leopard.

volmer

Cygnus X-1 said:
Tried to compile it, but does not work. Can you help me please? I'm using snow leopard.
I'm not familiar with OS X, but there seems to be plenty of people offering their own OS X builds -- see "rtmpdump os x" on Google. :)

Davey Cakes

Willy105 said:
I guess canceled until further notice.
Well, I don't know about that. Remember, E3 isn't Nintendo's only place to show off. They have media summits and other sorts of conferences later in the year. Maybe then is when we'll hear more about the Vitality Sensor. I think for E3 they just didn't want to throw it in amongst all of the game announcements and the 3DS reveal.

Nintendo came out and focused mostly on software, but also dedicated quite a bit of time to tech as well. It was, like, 70% games and 30% tech, which works. Even though they botched the Zelda demo, there was a focus on MotionPlus there for the show's beginning, and then a focus on 3DS for the show's end. Can't think of a better way to have done it. The Vitality Sensor could've maybe made an appearance in the middle of the show to break things up, but I think that's just a bit too much, y'know?

Varjet

It's really fun to read this threads again after the conference is over and relieve all the over-the-top reactions. Especially all the "Waggle ruined Zelda" posts, heh.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I highly doubt the Vitality Sensor is cancelled.

Yeah. The fact that they showed it off last year at all means they had some meaningful projects for them.

It seems Nintendo finally had a sit down and reviewed their previous year performances and realized that despite the fact that the mainstream press is at E3, the focus cant be toward them, which the vitality sensor felt like.

That, or the games they had in development since the disastrous 08 where finally ready to show thus the hardcore nature of the show.

I'm rewatching the conference right now, and I love the different reactions to the companies developing for the 3DS.

Activision(Dj Hero): *crickets*
Level 5(Prof. Layton): Medium level applause.
Square-Enix(FF,KH,DQ): Large applause.
THQ(Saints Row): Slight applause with a lot of laughing :lol
EA(Madden): Applause and laughing stops almost immediately.
KT: Crowd was like, Who?
Capcom(Resident Evil): Large applause
WB games(Batman):Slight applause.
Ubisoft(Assassins Creed): Very slight applause
Namco-Bandai(Ridge Racer): Slight applause.
Konami(Metal Gear Solid): Huge applause.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Yeah. The fact that they showed it off last year at all means they had some meaningful projects for them.

It seems Nintendo finally had a sit down and reviewed their previous year performances and realized that despite the fact that the mainstream press is at E3, the focus cant be toward them, which the vitality sensor felt like.

That, or the games they had in development since the disastrous 08 where finally ready to show thus the hardcore nature of the show.

Not only that but the Vitality Sensor would take a big chunk of the show to really explain as it seems complex and they had all those games to show.

Cygnus X-1

volmer said:

Code:

Tried with windows.......and it worked!

You are THE man. Thanks you!!

2Dcube

That software will be used to help Wii owners relax, making it perhaps the tonally wrong kind of software to showcase at an exuberant circus of an event like E3. At least, that's what a Nintendo spokesperson told us, explaining its absence at this show.
From here.

I think there's great potential for games (outside of relaxation) so I look forward to news. People saying it's a "decoy" are out of their minds. They may be joking but this is GAF so I don't know.

Boney

Banned
2Dcube said:
From here.

I think there's great potential for games (outside of relaxation) so I look forward to news. People saying it's a "decoy" are out of their minds. They may be joking but this is GAF so I don't know.
Yeah I was joking when I said it. Still pretty amazing Nintendo decided not to show it, it seems the really listened to all the nerd whining.

Some dates for Europe:

3DS on 25/03/2011 in Europe?

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/3ds/paper_mario_18231.html

Professor Layton and the unwound future (DS) - October 2010

FINAL FANTASY THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT (DS) - 08.10.2010

Art academy learn painting and drawing techniques with step by step training (Developer: Headstrong Games) (DS) - 06.08.2010

Golden Sun DS (DS) - 2010

Kirbys Epic Yarn (Wii) - Q4 2010

Wii Party (Wii) - Q4 2010

A Shadow's Tale (Wii) - 08.10.2010

Penguin

Has Nintendo ever gone this far out for post-e3 stuff?

I mean video interviews, roundtables, recaps, impressions.

PRetty cool.

dsister44

Penguin said:

PRetty cool.

i'm pretty sure that do this ever year, right down to the announcing games through a press pack

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Don't Miyamoto and Aonuma still have something to officially announce (probably OoT 3D?). Are they doing that on the E3 Nintendo site?

ombz

I think it's funny how Nintendo is considering a 3D Wii when the 3D hdtv penetration rate
reaches 30%(which will be who knows when) but they see no need to support HD at all given how many household have hdtvs now. Even nintendo's own commercial feature families with hdtvs.

ombz said:
I think it's funny how Nintendo is considering a 3D Wii when the 3D hdtv penetration rate
reaches 30%(which will be who knows when) but they see no need to support HD at all given how many household have hdtvs now. Even nintendo's own commercial feature families with hdtvs.

It might be that Nintendo considers HD as a superficial enhancement that doesn't affect gameplay, while 3D supposedly allows for improved accuracy or whatever. In other words, in Nintendo's eyes, 3D is a "good cause", HD isn't.

bh7812

Banned
I think it was in this thread a few pages back...at least I hope it was this one where someone said something along the lines of "What's next? Super Mario All-Stars 2 in 3D?". I wanted to comment on that by saying that I'm actually very very surprised that didn't pop up during this E3. As a lot of you probably know, last summer in Japan Nintendo re-filed the trademark for Super Mario Collection which is what Mario All-Stars is known as over there. Anyway, I figured sure it would show up at this E3 as either a DS or Wii game and was kind of hoping that would happen. I wouldn't be surprised if it still pops up eventually. If it does it's either a Wii or 3DS game. With all the 3DS announcements I'd be betting on it being 3DS and there's actually a lot they can do with it on 3DS if they do it right. If it's for the Wii they may be hanging onto it for one of the Wii's final hurrah games next year.

Overall I was very very happy with Nintendo's showing this year. Yes I do want some of the games/things Sony and Microsoft showed off but for the first time in many years a large majority of the games/gaming related things I'm buying this fall are either from or for Nintendo systems.

Busaiku

dsister44 said:
i'm pretty sure that do this ever year, right down to the announcing games through a press pack
They've got the press site with trailers/screens, but I think this is the first time they've done a general site along with stuff like their conference, interviews, as well as general show highlights.

Busaiku said:
They've got the press site with trailers/screens, but I think this is the first time they've done a general site along with stuff like their conference, interviews, as well as general show highlights.

It's obviously being done by the Nintendo Week team. They've never had this kind of video and developer coverage before. It's really very well done!

Wizpig

Penguin said:

PRetty cool.
No, usually they had a website, but not with Iwata Asks, recaps... e3.nintendo.com is absolutely amazing imo.

edit. I forgot the user/pwd for Press.Nintendo.com, anyone knows?

Wizpig said:
No, usually they had a website, but not with Iwata Asks, recaps... e3.nintendo.com is absolutely amazing imo.

edit. I forgot the user/pwd for Press.Nintendo.com, anyone knows?

User: E32010
Password: Nintendo (Capital letter must be used)

ombz said:
Nintendo does see the need to support HD and have said their next system will support it. The Wii is technically unable to output HD because of low video RAM or something.

When they created the Wii, the penetration rate of HDTVs wasn't as much as it is now.

Nuclear Muffin said:
User: E32010
Password: Nintendo (Capital letter must be used)
Nintendo's press site has never worked for me, even now. :(

celebi23

volmer said:

Code:

Thank you for finding the url format :D These are the interviews. Just downloaded the Sakamoto interview so, the other urls should work fine.

Code:
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/interview_sakamoto_metroid -o interview_sakamoto_metroid.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/interview_hayashi -o interview_hayashi.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/interview_cazzaro -o interview_cazzaro.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/interview_hino -o interview_hino.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/interview_stradling -o interview_stradling.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/interview_kojima -o interview_kojima.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/interview_inafune -o interview_inafune.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/interview_bala -o interview_bala.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/interview_slaczka -o interview_slaczka.flv

These are the other E3 coverage videos

Code:
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/open_day1 -o open_day1.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/hands_on_day1 -o hands_on_day1.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/day1_recap -o day1_recap.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/ats_dkcr -o ats_dkcr.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/nbajam -o nbajam.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/ats_scribblenauts -o ats_scribblenauts.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/ats_justdance -o ats_justdance.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/ats_epicmickey -o ats_epicmickey.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/day2_recap -o day2_recap.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/ats_roundtable -o ats_roundtable.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/ats_capcom -o ats_capcom.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/ats_squareenix -o ats_squareenix.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/ats_taketwo -o ats_taketwo.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/ats_sega -o ats_sega.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/ats_konami -o ats_konami.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/day3_recap -o day3_recap.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/ats_zelda_guide -o ats_zelda_guide.flv
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/e3_wrapup -o e3_wrapup.flv

And then the conference itself (probably around 700-900MB, still downloading it :lol )
Code:
rtmpdump -r rtmp://cp98016.edgefcs.net/ondemand/e3_presentation -o e3_presentation.flv

Let me know if any of the urls don't work and I'll go back & double check them. volmer, thanks again for finding the basic url structure to being with :D

Wizpig

IGN: The Nikkei newspaper revealed this morning that the 3DS system has some sort of software installation option. I'm wondering if you can comment further on what was announced.

Miyamoto: I'm not familiar with the article that you're referencing, but of course even with Nintendo DSi we introduced DSiWare and we introduced applications that were built into the system menu. So I wonder if maybe they were talking about something along those lines?

IGN: They're actually not. They're saying that there's an option you can use to install software so that you don't have to bring your cartridges with you. It was something separate from DSiWare.

Miyamoto: I'm not familiar with that.

IGN: No problem. Now that you've established the next handheld generation, where do you see the Wii in, say, two years?

Miyamoto: I'm sure we'll continue to see the Wii platform evolve, as it has over the years. Obviously our focus right now is on the Wii MotionPlus, and how we're able to create gameplay with it that is very intuitive. So I think that we'll continue to do that over the next couple of years. But that's really all I can say about what's coming.

IGN: What are your impressions of the PlayStation Move and Microsoft's Kinect?

Miyamoto:
8ca7fb7036f21f61b2c5e72bd3499ae6.jpg

Full interview with Miyamoto here: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/110/1100039p1.html

CubeRevolution said:
Some dates for Europe:

3DS on 25/03/2011 in Europe?

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/3ds/paper_mario_18231.html

Professor Layton and the unwound future (DS) - October 2010

FINAL FANTASY THE 4 HEROES OF LIGHT (DS) - 08.10.2010

Art academy learn painting and drawing techniques with step by step training (Developer: Headstrong Games) (DS) - 06.08.2010

Golden Sun DS (DS) - 2010

Kirbys Epic Yarn (Wii) - Q4 2010

Wii Party (Wii) - Q4 2010

A Shadow's Tale (Wii) - 08.10.2010
Release date is to be determined. A technical error previously stated an inaccurate release date. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

How can a technical error post a release date? :lol It was some (now) ex-employee of Nintendo

Top Bottom