• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2017 - Hopes. Dreams. Predictions

sn00zer

I just want Sony to bring back one classic franchise in a big way. I don't even care which one, well except colony wars since I didn't play it.

Turkoop

Banned
Nothing will beat the constant rumors and fake leaks about a remake of Final Fantasy VII until it actually happened! Shenmue 3 as well.

Although Agent is getting there.

giphy.gif

Guardians

Banned
1. I hope Retro Studios is working on a new IP for the Nintendo Switch

2. I would like to see a remastered Super Metroid in 2.5D for the Nintendo Switch

3. I would love Killer Instinct 4 in native 4K for XBox Scorpio

E3 leaks have been on the DL this year..
Bit worrying to be honest, either that or the publishers have got their act together and tightened up on potential leaks.
We still have 3 weeks to go. Give it a bit more time. I'm sure we'll get plenty of leaks before the event.
Yakuza announcement & CTR remastered.
Since they've already confirmed the western release of Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza 6, I'm curious as to what sort of Yakuza announcements could we expect to see at E3. Maybe the exact release date for Yakuza 6? Though, they probably wouldn't wanna talk about that before Kiwami is out, so it wouldn't steal the spotlight form that game.

DavidDesu

Might as well get my two pence in..

I absolutely hope we get a Shenmue HD 1 + 2 announced, and hopefully out this year.

As a Switch owner I really hope there's lots of stuff announced. Namely Rocket League and I hope we get surprised by third parties publishing more current gen games than we maybe expect. I just really love this system and want as much choice as possible.

Other than that thought I'm really not all that fussed. I have tons of games I've yet to play like Horizon, still never finished Bloodborne, Zelda is something I play for maybe an hour every couple of days so could take me months to make a dent in... There's too much going on, lol, and not enough time to play all these games.

Hope Mario Odyssey has good hands on impressions, I'm really optimistic. Never been much of a Nintendo fan but the Switch has won me over, I want to see them bring their best modern Mario game just like they've done with MK8 and Zelda, with Arms shaping up to be much better than I ever thought when I saw the initial reveal. Maybe the rumoured Pokemon Stars can be my first ever Pokemon game...

Also, show me some great Spiderman gameplay and maybe, just maybe, an epic TLOU gameplay reveal.. Shit this E3 could be quite good actually!

Psykoboy2

Splinter Cell.

Just....they've milked the Tom Clancy tit dry with the exception of Splinter Cell.

Unless they pull out an EndWar revival.

Please god no.

Lady Gaia

ARMS i can understand but if Splatoon 2's singleplayer happens to be like 10 hours long, would you still not be interested? And we don't know when Xenoblade 2 or that strange Mario/Rabbit game are coming out.

I realize you said you'd stopped reading my original post, which makes this somewhat redundant for everyone else, but I'm generally looking for a strong story with interesting characters. I'll be quite pleasantly surprised if that's what Splatoon 2 delivers, which is why I'm not predicting it. In fact I'd be completely shocked, which is why it never occurred to me to include it in hopes/dreams. If it happens, though? I'm all over it.

As for Xenoblade 2? I covered that in the rest of my original post. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does indeed happen in 2017 as planned. I'm certainly watching for it! Sadly I never got to play the original due to NOA letting GameStop screw everyone over with their inane production plan designed to squeeze out as much used revenue as possible. I refuse to support that particular leech on the industry.

Having a compelling Mario/Rabbid RPG that ships in 2017 falls firmly in the hopes/dreams category. I'd love to see it, but I'm expecting the latter half of 2018 presuming it exists.

Eggiem

I would like to see something like Horizon Zero Dawn. New, fresh IP with special setting and rich lore, beautiful graphics and cool characters.

Or Bloodborne 2.

Blobbers

Cyberpunk gameplay trailer

I think Cyberpunk in general is gonna be an interesting game to follow because it could single handedly decide how CD Projekt is perceived by the general public for the next 4-5 years

As of now, CD Projekt has had one IP and one god tier game. Tomonobu Itagaki also has a god tier game under his belt, and look at where he is now. If Cyberpunk is so-so, that's it, CDPR will have not proven themselves on a new IP and will from that point be known as "those guys that made witcher 3 and own gog", until their next try
If Cyperbunk is a hit, it will probably mark the start of CDPR game launches from then on being huge events on the scale of Bethesda and Rockstar launches. 5+ million day 1 guaranteed.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Hopes and Dreams.

- Scorpio named Xbox Complete
- God of War release date
- At least 4 new characters for MVC Infinite.
- Last of Us 2 Gameplay
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Gameplay
- SNES Classic Mini. Wifi enabled, download games at leisure.
- Sega releases backlog of old IP's revived from the dead
- Demons' Souls remaster
- Shenmue nowhere to be seen
- FFVII release date
- Destiny 2 on Scorpio with Battle.net connection
- Cyberpunk finally shown.
- New Smash Bros for Switch
- New Burnout
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 gameplay
- VR Blowout
- Half Life 3

theecakee

I want to see details/release dates (if there isn't one yet) for...

• Ni No Kuni 2
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Danganronpa V3
  • Cyberpunk

Splinter Cell.

Just....they've milked the Tom Clancy tit dry with the exception of Splinter Cell.

Unless they pull out an EndWar revival.

Please god no.

Yeah I'd be down for another Splinter Cell, I don't think most people would be though. I liked Blacklist a lot, but I don't think it sold well IIRC.

Wamb0wneD

I realize you said you'd stopped reading my original post, which makes this somewhat redundant for everyone else, but I'm generally looking for a strong story with interesting characters. I'll be quite pleasantly surprised if that's what Splatoon 2 delivers, which is why I'm not predicting it. In fact I'd be completely shocked, which is why it never occurred to me to include it in hopes/dreams. If it happens, though? I'm all over it.

As for Xenoblade 2? I covered that in the rest of my original post. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does indeed happen in 2017 as planned. I'm certainly watching for it! Sadly I never got to play the original due to NOA letting GameStop screw everyone over with their inane production plan designed to squeeze out as much used revenue as possible. I refuse to support that particular leech on the industry.

Having a compelling Mario/Rabbid RPG that ships in 2017 falls firmly in the hopes/dreams category. I'd love to see it, but I'm expecting the latter half of 2018 presuming it exists.

Sorry for going the ignorant route and letting you repeat that stuff lol. Appreciate your patience. Yeah I don't think Splatoon is what you want then. I don't think theres much reason to believe Xenoblade gets delayed though. We had one game that released on time and one that got delayed. Don't understand why everyone expects this one to get delayed as well.

Good on your stance on Gamestop.

I don't really believe the Rabbids game is 2017 either, but why do you make the jump to the latter half of 2018 right away? That's the stuff i don't get. Might be January for all we know.

Predictions:

Microsoft- Halo 3 Anniversary, Crackdown 3, Full Scorpio reveal , Fable Reboot, Sea of Thieves.

Sony- Updates and release quarters for Spider-man and God of War. More details on Last of Us 2. Call of duty and Destiny 2 segments. Sucker Punch's new game announcement. Over all it will be a tamer year for Sony, but lots of 3rd party games will be shown.

Nintendo- Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2,Fire Emblem Warriors, online service details, Zelda DLC, One surprise game for 2017, and one small tease for 2018.

Lady Gaia

I don't really believe the Rabbids game is 2017 either, but why do you make the jump to the latter half of 2018 right away?

I've owned every prior Nintendo console, so I'm used to lengthy droughts in first-party content. I expect everything that could reasonably be pulled into Switch's first holiday season will be, and that they'll take their time with anything that can't. That's simply my predication based on prior experience, not an assertion of fact.

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
I would love to see:

Switch:
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 3 / Elite Beat Agents 2
DJ MAX Portable
Rhythm Fever
Advance Wars

PC:
RDR2

That's all I can think of right now.
I predict none of these are going to happen, and that I'll have to hook up my PS4 again to play cowboy.

Seik

Banned
Nintendo: A lot of stuff, they're in a state where they had a great start and are expected to keep momentum, E3 will be a crucial event to show what's coming.

Sony: FFVII:R, Spider-Man and Shenmue 3 gameplay and details and I will be a happy man.

Microsoft: Spencer's latest statement about prioritizing first party/exclusive content leaves me curious if this will take form at E3. And of course, more details about Scorpio. I will closely watch this one.

Rockstar: RDR2, feed me.

Square-Enix: Final Fantasy Dissidia console release date, more details about Project Octopath.

Capcom: For the love of everything that's good in this god forsaken world give us more details on REmake 2! D:

Zukkoyaki

Latest prediction: Bandai Namco is going to quietly have one of the strongest line-ups of the show with games like Ace Combat, Ni No Kuni and Project Cars. I'm also thinking there's a decent chance of a new Soul Caliber getting announced since Tekken 7 will have shipped by then. Though that could very well be a TGS game (assuming it exists).

Laplasakos

Latest prediction: Bandai Namco is going to quietly have one of the strongest line-ups of the show with games like Ace Combat, Ni No Kuni and Project Cars. I'm also thinking there's a decent chance of a new Soul Caliber getting announced since Tekken 7 will have shipped by then. Though that could very well be a TGS game (assuming it exists).

Yep. There is also a high chance for Code Vein, God Eater 3 and a new Tales game. There is a tales festival in Japan early next month, so if they announce something there, maybe we will get localization confirmation at E3.

Prediction: Sony shows off another peripheral for PSVR.

Hope: Nintendo unveils another big, new IP (not the Rabbids crossover).

Dream: I hate to do this, but... TWEWY 2 for Switch.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Since they've already confirmed the western release of Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza 6, I'm curious as to what sort of Yakuza announcements could we expect to see at E3. Maybe the exact release date for Yakuza 6? Though, they probably wouldn't wanna talk about that before Kiwami is out, so it wouldn't steal the spotlight form that game.

Since Sega did a Steam port of Bayonetta, with a Steam port of Vanquish coming next month, maybe Sega will port some Yakuza games to Steam?

Safe prediction:

Nintendo: has more third party support than we think. Will show a few titles coming in 2017. Mario Odessy is everything people expect it to be.

Sony: Ps4 price dropped to $199 or $229, Spiderman, and last of us 2 blow peoples minds.

Xbox: Scorpio is truly the next Xbox, not an Xbox one at all. Full BC with Xbone.

Dreams:

Nintendo: online service is surprisingly great. it is simple and just works. Both esports and casual friendly. Cross game chat, party chat, game appointments by the App. Remove free games and give dedicated servers for esport titles. $30/yr

Sony: psp3 or trinity is real. Coming this fall. Focus going forward will be on mobile gaming that connects to TV. Boxes like ps4, Xbone are an antiquated idea. Many games shift to be played on both portable and console.

Xbox: MS goes all out and Xbox 4 ( Scorpio) is really a Windows 10 machine that plays games too. Will be able to play apps and win 10 games available on Windows 10 store.

The dream is to get a successor to the PSP and Vita and also, Bloodborne 2 or a new Soulsborne type game from Fromsoft.

Predictions: Scorpio will be thoroughly unexciting, Sony will probably not be very thrilling either and Nintendo MIGHT give a decent surprise. So all in all, I don't expect this year to be very exciting, just more of what we've already seen and maybe a small Nintendo surprise.

I am very unhyped, I hope that changes though.

God of War
I think this will be the most important game for Sony at this event. The game has changed too much and fans would die to see more details from Kratos's new journey. A cinematic, epic trailer with some gameplay (no boss battle, please!) would be the dream.

Spider-Man
I'm not a big fan of Spider-Man, but this is Insomniac product. It will be great. The first trailer was gorgeous. I hope they will show us a long gameplay footage.

Days Gone
Honestly, I haven't a special feeling about this. Not yet. It has the potential to be a great new IP. I wanna see a different aspect of this game at E3. Killing zombies with lots of diffrent ways was so cool, but not enough. Hope they force us to love DG.

Death Stranding
The most mysterious game of all times! 2 sick trailers and no gameplay. I really have no idea about that. I think Kojima said that it's like Uncharted in terms of gameplay? And ROPE is the main element in the game? God, I really wanna see the gameplay!

Detroit: Become Human
Heavy Rain was one of my best PS3 game. As a big fan of his works, I would love to see a different trailer from a different studio. Although I don't need it. I know I would love the game at the end.

Bloodborne 2
Another masterpiece from Miyazaki. I know, it's beyond dreaming, but let me dream...

Sucker Punch's new IP
I think this will the opening of event. They were in silence for a long time. It's time to reveal what they're cooking. I hope we meet them.

So where the hell are the "Wizards"?

Uncharted: Lost Legacy. Well, we saw enough of that, I think. I don't want to see that what happened to Uncharted 4, happens to Lost Legacy. They showed us the best part of U4!

The Last of Us: Part II is the most anticipated game for me, but I think it isn't necessary for this E3. Sony has tons of bombs for blowing people's mind. I didn't mention some of them. Shenmue III, Dreams, GTS, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Red Dead Redemption 2. They could be there. Besides that, there is no doubt that Days Gone is TLoU reminder. I think a trailer of TLoU: PII would kill Days Gone's hype. So yeah, I think it's better to save Naughty Dog for PSX.

Raitaro

Ahhh, E3, that elusive event that still feels like Christmas coming early to me but which at the same time keeps eluding me in terms of being able to watch most of it live. This year's main cause (apart from the generally terrible time slots for EU folks again)? An unexpected workshop for my wife's academic work that takes place on those exact days in Bristol, meaning I have to travel with her from Germany along with our 1,5 yo daughter to help take care of things.

So my biggest wish is simply to be able to actually watch the press conferences shortly after their broadcast times while not being spoiled by Gaf and the rest of the internet. (Please tell me there will be a spoiler free E3 thread where I can just click on links to the presentation videos and avoid looking for them on Youtube and see spoilers in the process?)

More on-topic:

HOPES
- Super Mario Maker Deluxe / 2 for Switch.
- Animal Crossing for Switch, but without the rolling log type world design.
- FROM's new game(s) being unveiled (one of which ideally would fill the Dark Souls void).
- Dark Souls Collection for Switch.
- New Platinum's game(s) being unveiled, ideally the one for Switch as well (and one of them being a Nier Remake - as mentioned below).
- FFVII Remake footage that won't dissapoint.
- Shenmue 1 + 2 Remake being real.
- Super Mario Sunshine HD for Switch released this summer (or the next).
- A new Wave Race for Switch.
- A new Wii Sports (Resort) type game for Switch.
- Splatoon 2 to feature most of the content from Splatoon 1 (to help preserve it when Wii U servers go offline).
- Sega's 3D Classics that are stuck in Japan coming to the West (i.e. Turbo Outrun!).
- Seiken Densetsu Collection coming West.
- Scorpio to be called Xbox Scorpio.

DREAMS
- Outrun 3 to be announced as an arcade release and current gen console/PC game, made under the supervision of Yu Suzuki.
- A new current gen port of Outrun 2006 in HD with all tracks.
- Something from Sega akin to Sonic Mania, like Streets of Rage Remake or new 2D Shinobi made by fans under official supervision.
- Something from Sega relating to Jet Set Radio, Panzer Dragoon or Skies of Arcadia (remakes or sequels).
- Sega 3D Classics coming to Switch (without the 3D of course).
- Virtua Fighter 6 for arcades and current gen.

- A new Castlevania of some sorts, preferably a new 3D game that plays like a gothic, darker Breath of the Wild.
- A Digital Eclipse / M2 2D Castlevania collection for all current platforms.
- A new Mega Man (X) that takes the old formula in bold new directions (perhaps in 3D using ARMS's camera to create third-person action game with platforming elements?).
- Ghost Trick 2.
- A Street Fighter III Collection for current gen (along with optional Fourth Strike mode with new balancing and a few new characters like Juri).
- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure HD coming back to current gen (since I missed my chance to buy it before I fell in love with Jojo).
- The Arika 3D fighter being made in collaboration with Capcom.
- That new Darkstalkers, as once promised.
- Garou 2 being completed with actual sprites.

- A new Switch 3D Metroid.
- An officially sanctioned release of AM2R.
- A new Switch F-Zero or Switch ports for X and GX.
- A 3D Donkey Kong platformer.
- Kid Icarus coming back once more, now to Switch.
- Legend of Zelda Maker that applies that new 2D Zelda 1 engine used for BOTW prototyping as shown in GDC talk.
- BOTW getting a big Dark World type expansion after first wave of DLC.

- Nier Remake by Yoko Taro and Platinum that integrates all cut planned content.
- Platnum working on that "Formless, Shapeless" Bruce Lee or general martial arts focused game.
- Ridge Racer Type 4 Remake being announced, because of that earlier fan poll.
- Scorpio to be called XXLbox One (just for how dumb that would look).

PREDICTIONS
- Many big AAA Western games I rarely care about, most if not all skipping the Switch.
- Lots of 3DS games being announced that will make me feel frustrated again, just like in the Wii U days.
- No Beyond Good & Evil 2.
- No Agent.
- No Deep Down.
- Smash Bros. for Switch being real and what we thought it would be (accompanied by the dream annoucement of Simon Belmont + Castlevania stage).
- Pikmin 4 for Switch.
- Pac-Man Maker being real.
- Newly announced Kirby game(s) being shown.
- Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite's further showcased roster disappointing many fans.
- More Street Fighter V DLC being announced / shown (including, hopefully, a second season of the cinematic story mode that leds into SFIII).
- Breath of the Wild DLC detailed, which will make people (like me) angry that they already completed (most of) the game.
- Not many of any of the abovementioned hopes and dreams being real...
- Scorpio to be called Xbox One L.

...Wow, I spent WAY too much time on that (only to be very disappointed again after the E3 dust settles quite possibly...)!

iFirez

What I want/think we'll see:
EA: Battlefront 2 and some other Star Wars game reveal/footage. Maybe a look at Bioware's new game?
Microsoft: Crackdown... I literally can't think of anything else I want to see from them, the Halo reveal won't be Halo 3 Anniversary though, it'l be something else.
Sony: Last of Us 2 Gameplay, Spider-Man Gameplay, New Sucker Punch Game; probably not Infamous.
Ubisoft: Big Assassins Creed Gameplay, 2 Big new IP reveals.
Nintendo: Big gameplay highlight on Mario. Hopefully some more big reveals to tease us for next year.
Bethesda: I have no clue.

AerialAir

Banned
Predictions:

Sony: Third party showreel with games from companies like Atlus/Sega & Squenx, Destiny 2 marketing, Days Gone, Final Fantasy VII Remake, God of War, Knack 2, Spider-Man.

Nintendo: Arms, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, new Intelligent Systems game for switch, Fire Emblem musou, a LOT of 3rd party support from Ubi, FIFA 18, a lot of JRPGS in development

Microsoft: Tekken 7(yes) and CODWWII marketing, 3rd party showreel with the usual suspects, half the show for Scorpio hype, something Halo on Scorpio, Assassin's Creed

Dreams:

Sony (PS4): Type-moon Fate VN, 13 Sentinels 2017, Project Re Fantasy, SMT V HD, FMA adventure/ActRPG, Persona 1 remake, new Devil Summoner, DQ XI localization

Nintendo: Devil Survivor 3, EO Untold 3, 95's SMT:DS remake, SMT HD project, Persona 5 Q, Nintendo*Squenx crossover JRPG, pokemon SRPG, Gintama by SpikeChun

Microsoft: Your Name. videogame, Mistwalker's Cry On, Platinum's Scalebound revived, Persona 5 Arena, new FF Fables, FIFA Street 5, Uchikoshi's Project Psync, real Quake 5

I mostly hope for stuff that is overdue.

Cyberpunk 2077 - This should be well into development by now. I fear it will slip out of people's interest if showing material is postponed further.
FF7:RE - Nothing less than a proper trailer and release date for Episode 1 is welcome at this point.
KH3 - A proper trailer at the very least, showing off the revealed worlds + 1 new one.

EDIT:

Also, Elder Scroll VI.

le.phat

Dreams:

- Monsterhunter finds a way to stay relvant.
- Death stranding blowout
- A new 2d-vania is announced for the switch.
- Sony announces emulation for PS4
- From software teams up with Yoko taro for it's next project.
- Scorpio makes Xbox relevant again somehow. Not hardware related.

Numb

Hit me with that new Platinum joint
What's Riot doing with fighting game after taking in Rising Thunder folk

That's it

LAM09

We're supposed to hear more about the next title this month IIRC, so possibly some footage of it. However, you might be right about them not wanting anything to overshadow Kiwami's release.

Blindy

I hope (it's not out of the question) that some sort of Sly Cooper game is announced. Maybe a reboot a la Ratchet and Clank. If not I'll settle for another Ratchet and Clank game.
I agree with this, I kinda want Sucker Punch's next title to be a Sly Cooper game even if that is over an new IP.

If it a new IP, I hope they still go with the Sly Cooper formula of making it open world but also making it linear enough that the game doesn't drag itself with unnecessary side content.

Top Bottom