• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Subscription Service for Xbox One ($5/month or $30/year, get game vault)

THat doesn't sound that good... 30 a year for 4 games... PS+ is twice that but it's 2 games (for PS4) per month...

They will be adding more games and expect older ones to be rolled in over time. Also you get 10% off new purchases.

Also GWG gives you two games a month as well so the PS+ comparison doesn't add much here.

Valnen

Shame its not on Playstation, would buy in a heartbeat.
I would too if it wasn't mostly sports stuff. I want to see other publishers offer this on PS4 when their libraries get bigger. I want one that will give me lots of RPG's.

theDeeDubs

Not bad for those that like sports games I guess. BioWare and Mirror's Edge are about the only thing I can think of from EA that I buy so this wouldn't be worth it to me at all though.

Cat Party

Pretty good deal. Reasonable terms thus far. At $5 a month, your investment is minimal just to try some games.

Obviously, this is the hook to get you to buy more DLC for games in the vault, but it may balance out pretty well.

Sounds really interesting, though as with any subscription service it's success mostly depends on if they have some decent content or not.

Chobel

if they add some new games then it is definitely an amazing deal.
i have buddies that buy the new fifa/madden/nhl/nba every year.
they could save 100s of dollars depending on quickly those games get added to the vault.

10% less for new releases alone makes this subscription worth it.

I haven't bought an EA game since Mirrors Edge but my brother buys FIFA and a lot of EA games every year.

Yet he owns a PS4.

Great job, EA.

if they add some new games then it is definitely an amazing deal.
i have buddies that buy the new fifa/madden/nhl/nba every year.
they could save 100s of dollars depending on quickly those games get added to the vault.

"Vault"

It's all in the title; it's not trying to sell itself as a services that offers new games, yet still some are managing to interpret it that way. Amazing.

But with the 10% discount if you buy 5 EA games a year it pays for itself, plus you get 10% off any DLC you buy plus you get access to the vault plus you get early access to new games. It's not for everyone but I'm seriously considering it.
10% off the normal retail price. You could get bigger discounts buying physical on sale plus you could resell or trade it.

Ok. I'm in. For $30 to be able to play through some of EAs more recent titles on my XBONE sounds about right.

One assumes they're relying upon the dlc to make lots of money.

Let's see how much game you really get, I hope they aren't broken up into DLC city.

Right now, it sounds way too good to be true....to play a bunch of EA games for a year for half of what it costs to buy one game....

And the age of library subscriptions has begun.

I wonder why it's Xbox exclusive - I imagine MS must be providing a pretty penny for an arrangement of this sort. But why not offer the EA subscription through Origin? Only reason I can come up with is it's not financially viable without MS' kickback. Or EA isn't confident it will boost their revenue.

Curious. Possible that EA is just testing the water to see if the market is willing to entertain subscription-based access.

VanWinkle

I wonder if the available games will rotate. I wonder if they stream or if you download them. I wonder how often they will add new games.

Still a lot of questions, but this is a big deal I think in the console industry.

Do you get to still keep FIFA 14 even after FIFA 16 is out? Will it work like PSN + that no matter how old your free game is, you always get to play it with an active subscription or will they just be forcing everyone over to each year's new release to maximize DLC and micro-transactions? Will you get to play titles day of release? Pre-loading? If EA and XB1 partnership ends, do you still get to keep your games? Can you play offline?

It will likely be structured such that the game will be downloaded to your console and you will have access to it for a period of time. Once a month the console will ping the EA server to confirm that you still have access. If you cancel then you no longer have access to the game.

It doesn't sound profitable for me imho..
I already have BF4 and not a sports game fan, but i can see great value for sport game fans.

Strazyplus

Same as Netflix...

not exactly since EA focuses on multiplayer, movies and show you just watch once and done. and actually have a selection while EA's selection is limited.

This service will be worth while to those who want to try out BF4 and not pay for it completely. basicly a $5 month demo for BF4... I can see as worth it. but only one month.

link1201

This may be what makes me bite:

Play First – Membership in EA Access lets you experience trials of new EA games up to five days before the release date.* It starts with Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA LIVE 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition, but more are on the way. If you decide to buy the game, your progress will carry over so you can pick up right where you left off.

MavFan619

Banned
all the sports game runs at the same res and fps and look exactly the same
I was thinking the non sports games like BF4 I figure this seems silly for just sports games because you'd be playing them as the audience is already ready to move on to the next.

This is hilarious. EA gets their console subscription service without needing its own console. Who better to pay up and play ball than Microsoft?

This is why the console war is not even close to being settled. Microsoft is just too aggressive.

God I'd kill to hear the details of the deal between MS and EA.

It's virtually completely settled actually. Unless you have a way where MS can build up a major lead in NA since the rest of the world is pretty much out of grasp.

Wait a sec...

So I can sign up for this for 1 month and pay $5, then buy Madden 15 or Dragon Age and save 10% ($6), so the service essentially becomes free? Am I missing something here?

besada

Banned
Might be more interesting for me if I didn't already own BF4 and Peggle 2. Not a big Sports player. If they keep adding interesting stuff, it might be a reasonable option.

I like the idea of having a game long enough that if i end up cancelling the subscription to that certain game it would probably be on sale for cheap if i ever decided to return to it in physical copy form.

This is just a very impressive improvement over their Season Ticket access they had for sports games last gen. I paid $20 a year to to get free access to all of their sports games from Friday through midnight on Monday before they drooped. They were nearly full versions, and your save files transferred if you bought the full game. You got the same DLC discounts, too.

$30 a year to do the same with all games, PLUS access to their vault of games makes this a very easy buy. It helps that I play nearly all of EA's sports games. Getting the games early for $30 is cheaper than renting.

FZW

im sorry, am i missing something? pay $30 a year for 10% off EA games/content? doesnt sound like much to me... unless there is some other incentive im missing out on

Not sure why people so interested in this, it seems like a good deal at first but after paying for a year and a half, you going to notice you have payed 40 bucks +. for some sport games that they barely ever innovate on, some mobile game, and a still buggy battlefield 3.5 game.

If you end the service you lose 40 bucks for games that you can no longer play. (who wants to do that.)

or keep paying 50+ for a small selection of old games... that in total may be worth of 40 bucks.

And I haven't spoke about games in the selection you may not care enough to even play.

In the end the consumer loses their money and to play those games again you are going to need to shell out 20 bucks to play them again.

post-28514-oh-this-is-bad-gif-I-should-no-ABlL.gif
Maybe people...*gasp* enjoy sports games??? Who would have thought?? It's not like they ever sell well or anything.

ISee

Hey why don't they make it 6$/month and you get to play all your overpriced digital EA games two days before the normal 5$/month scrub.

Or maybe 10$/month and you get premium beta invites (a.k.a demos) to your favorite games + 2 weeks early access before anybody else. Real value here.

I bet things like this are in the making. But I am a bad person and I do not trust EA.

Because they aren't ignoring clear market dynamics? Maybe I read your intonation wrong, but I'd say if the value proposition is right, this isn't a bad thing, so long as they keep an eye on more than just that one distribution channel.

I was just saying that to show that they're likely to be pretty aggressive about pursuing ideas like this with publishers, since they obviously think those types of ideas are gonna become more and more prevalent (like you said, partially based on market dynamics). Sure, most people think they overreached with their initial plans, but obviously they still think the general concepts of a "digital future" are sound (which I personally agree with also)

I was also being slightly snarky and poking fun at people who think that because MS says "they still believe in the digital future", that automatically means "secret 24hr check-ins on all physical discs reintroduced without your knowledge gaming is doomed" instead of plans like this.

Top Bottom