• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Subscription Service for Xbox One ($5/month or $30/year, get game vault)

Sounds great, I will most likely do this. I kinda wish it was for PS4 as well so I could get the best versions (closest to PC i mean) but for 5 a month I'm totally in! I hope that puts pressure on Sony to do something with PS now, cuz right now its a piece of shit.

Orayn

It seems to make sense since EA's games are so iterative that they eventually just do away with releasing new games yearly and just offer subscriptions to their sports and multiplayer properties and move to a "rolling-release" model.

The big question is how long it'll take for new annual games to be added to the vault, and whether or not they'll bump out the previous year's version.

My haphazard guess: 6-7 months, and the old versions will stay in for at least a year.

HBP

So I assume the full games are going to be rotated in and out? To just add more and not take any down seems way too good to be true.

Gestault

And since MS always says they "still believe in the digital future", it doesn't surprise me that something like this would debut on Xbox One first.

Because they aren't ignoring clear market dynamics? Maybe I read your intonation wrong, but I'd say if the value proposition is right, this isn't a bad thing, so long as they keep an eye on more than just that one distribution channel.

They need something seeing as PS+ offers much better value.

Does it? Sure PS+ offers Vita games as well but MS have caught up on that for XB1 and still 360 (even if 360 offerings not quite as good).

Xbox Live always has been a great service for playing online and has the discounts as well, I don't see that now GwG has got going it offers anymore except Vita games

Not to mention theres been lots of deals on subscriptions, $40 or in the UK it can be had for £22 for a year right now instead of £40. Hard to argue with that sort of pricing

This sounds like a potential paradigm shift announcement. Very interesting.

I bet this is timed exclusive on XB1. It will surely show up elsewhere if it's successful.

Allforce

Gotta figure Microsoft has their ace in their sleeve of EA adding TitanFall to this service around the holidays or shortly thereafter.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This is a nice replacement to season ticket which was the biggest waste of time and money.

I guess this appeals to the really casual sports fans who don't care about being up to date on the annual releases.

I'm in for a year, I loved the EA Sports season pass, it saved me money by letting me know which games I should skip for a season (I love all sports but I only buy Madden annually). This for all EA games will be even better, not to mention I have no control and will pay extra to play/see something early...

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Its not a bad deal, hopefully may force Sony's hand in converting PSNow to a subscription service, although I think the only reason why EA can do it is because its only one company, themselves. Sony has to deal with arguing with a bunch of other companies over pricing (which probably explains why the prices are all over the board for PSNow).

Jawmuncher

Not bad I guess if you're REALLY into ea games. But I can't even justify that price considering how little of their games I purchase.

Bioware stuff / mirrors edge is it for me now from them. So ill just buy those. Since I'd have to wait for vault acess anyway going that route.

MavFan619

Banned
So once again EA cater to Microsoft.

You know, not the audience that is the majority of next gen owners.
PS4 gets the better versions of the games MS gets a platform to ensure they can still sell people on these games that are in some cases inferior. EA doing mad scientist work to keep MS in it.

You get (what I assume is an ever growing library of) games, DLC discounts, and early trials for $30?

This is a hell of a deal.

Daffy Duck

Well I'll see what kind if proving the UK gets and if we get Madden too but this seems too good!

Again, what's going on at EA recently?

Strazyplus

Not sure why people so interested in this, it seems like a good deal at first but after paying for a year and a half, you going to notice you have payed 40 bucks +. for some sport games that they barely ever innovate on, some mobile game, and a still buggy battlefield 3.5 game.

If you end the service you lose 40 bucks for games that you can no longer play. (who wants to do that.)

or keep paying 50+ for a small selection of old games... that in total may be worth of 40 bucks.

And I haven't spoke about games in the selection you may not care enough to even play.

In the end the consumer loses their money and to play those games again you are going to need to shell out 20 bucks to play them again.

post-28514-oh-this-is-bad-gif-I-should-no-ABlL.gif

unbias

They talked about this sort of thing as far back as 2012 if I remember... Hopefully this gets pushed to PC as well, seems this would help them compete against Steam.

Eh, not as good as it seemed at first. No new games (like PSN+ most of the time) plus only EA games for the same price as PSN+. At least they are giving the option for it.

The big question is how long it'll take for new annual games to be added to the vault, and whether or not they'll bump out the previous year's version.

My haphazard guess: 6-7 months, and the old versions will stay in for at least a year.

Agreed. If Games with Gold is comparable then this will blow.

Solidsoul

Banned
If it keeps the gaming industry alive and healthy, I won't complain. There was a time where I would buy so many DVDs and Blu-rays for movies and tv shows because I loved the idea of owning them to watch when I wanted or to lend to people, but now I just watch everything on Netflix or some other digital service and I save so much money. I don't remember the last time I bought a disc honestly. If I get a lot of content at a good price, I'm happy.

I guess I'm happy for the lot of you that want it. I'm not saying it's a rip-off by any means, I'll just never support this model.

I'm sure this will be the only mode some day in the future though. At that point I'll rely on my gigantic library of older software.

So pretty much EA gets your $30 a year and you get access to games that may be a little older, but you still want to try. On top of that you get to buy current releases at 10% off.

Sounds like a win win for all, as EA gets some of the trade in value.

BWJinxing

i agree, this makes sense for sports titles. Now if you can get new releases of non sports games, it would be a killer deal. It sounds like if they go that route, sounds like the hook will be DLC, imo. Need more details.

waiting for Sony to announce PS Now! streams unlimited back catalog for 29.99 a year in a few days, just like the 3d playback... joking

How many EA games will we be getting per month with this service?

No idea but the value is already unprecedented. And not haha "unprecedented". Actually unprecedented. I'm paying 5 dollars for access to four games? I'm about to become a Battlefield fan.

AND I get a trial for Dragon Age Inq?

19810-Wtf-Deandre-jordan-gif-Dafuq-g-yfoO.gif

Pikma

Banned
Doesn't sound bad, even though we meed more details. Too bad I'm not paying EA for a fucking service, if I ever want one of their games, I rather pay for that separately

Prezhulio

I take it that means EA games won't be coming to GwG on Xbone then.

Seems like a good value for $30 if it's similar to ps+ or GwG where you keep the game as long as you're a subscriber, though I don't really trust EA with that sort of thing.

Not sure why people so interested in this, it seems like a good deal at first but after paying for a year and a half, you going to notice you have payed 40 bucks +. for some sport games that they barely ever innovate on, some mobile game, and a still buggy battlefield 3.5 game.

If you end the service you lose 40 bucks for a game that you can no longer play.

or keep paying 50+ for a small selection of old games...

In the end the consumer loses their money and to play those games again you are going to need to shell out 20 bucks to play them again.

post-28514-oh-this-is-bad-gif-I-should-no-ABlL.gif

Same as Netflix...

eznark

Banned
How much for all together?

$35 right now on ebay for Madden and BF together. No idea on Peggle. End of August that'll be at least $10 cheaper.

The other thing is Battlefield is kind of useless in vanilla right now on PC. Maybe it's better on Xbox One? Dunno, seemed hard to find vanilla matches on PC.

I like the idea, but I'm not sure there's as much value here as people believe.

If you have any interest in Fifa/Madden/Battlefield these are generally day 1 purchases - picking it up 9 months later when the next iteration is about to come out seems a bit weird.

It's basically just a repackaged season pass (early access) while trying to pull in some extra users at the back end who don't buy EA games year in year out.

Not for me.

Orayn

I guess I'm happy for the lot of you that want it. I'm not saying it's a rip-off by any means, I'll just never support this model.

I'm sure this will be the only model comes the future though. At that point I'll really on my gigantic library of older software.

Sucks that there isn't some sort of open platform where people will be selling games that cater to every imaginable niche and business model for the foreseeable future.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I wonder if this includes the DLC deal they talked about years ago. If I buy a golf course I dont want to be buying the same one a year later for the updated game for example.

Regardless its a fantastic deal and I will take them up on it even though I already own Fifa and Peggle.

Top Bottom