• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Subscription Service for Xbox One ($5/month or $30/year, get game vault)

Terrible deal for me, going from 0 to 30 a year for EA games.

But yeah, jokes aside, that sounds like a game changer and I'm curious to see what Ubi or Acti will do.

This is hilarious. EA gets their console subscription service without needing its own console. Who better to pay up and play ball than Microsoft?

This is why the console war is not even close to being settled. Microsoft is just too aggressive.

God I'd kill to hear the details of the deal between MS and EA.

http://majornelson.com/2014/06/13/xbox-one-july-update-preview/

July update said:
Future Digital Bundles and Compilation Discs. We’re doing some work now so that publishers will have options for great digital bundle and disc compilation offerings in the future. As we test this feature, we’ll be seeing more flexible combinations of game titles and game content.

And since MS always says they "still believe in the digital future", it doesn't surprise me that something like this would debut on Xbox One first (as said earlier, they probably had a lot of code lying around from last year to help this work, haha)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
In theory it sounds good, but there's not much from EA I want to play these days. Still, pretty neat service.

Tenki

EA should launch this on PS4 too. I wouldn't mind paying ~22€ on my US account to play FIFA with my friends at home, with our EU account.

rjinaz

The beginning of the end. One day, games will only be a service. Can't say I'm to thrilled about this model.

If it keeps the gaming industry alive and healthy, I won't complain. There was a time where I would buy so many DVDs and Blu-rays for movies and tv shows because I loved the idea of owning them to watch when I wanted or to lend to people, but now I just watch everything on Netflix or some other digital service and I save so much money. I don't remember the last time I bought a disc honestly. If I get a lot of content at a good price, I'm happy.

It doesn't sound like new games will be added to this vault very quickly. The 5 day early access is pretty damn awesome (although EA's been doing that for their sports games for a few years now) for something like Dragon Age.

I'm curious on the limitations of this, will we get complete access to these games or limited access, will they eventually be removed and replaced with newer games, ect. A lot of questions still need answers but this is certainly a step in the right direction and a much better way of selling digital to people.

We shall see if this stays exclusive, if they would've had something like this at launch last year for the XB1 I could have seen digital really taking off since a large about of XB1 launch games were published by EA.

FDC1

This makes Best Buy's gamer club look like absolute shit. Not to mention being significantly cheaper than ps+, xblg, etc

It's cheaper but I doubt you'll get 72+ games a year. The interest of this new service will greatly depend of EA capacity to add new content. That's a big question mark for the moment.

This is essentially an attempt to neuter the pre-owned market - obviously it doesn't hold much value at the moment for those who intend to buy EA Sports games within their first 10 months on the market. It's not bad value for that, though obviously the 10% discount only serves to make EA digital purchases slightly less extortionate,

Damaniel

Banned
The pricing is actually reasonable. Even if 'the vault' only has 3 to 4 games in it at a time, maintaining a subscription is cheaper than buying even one of those games outright.

The people who want to own physical games at all costs probably won't care for it much, but for people who just want to play the games, it might not be a bad deal. The discount for buying games is nice too (though most people probably don't buy enough EA games a year to justify $30 based just on a 10% discount).

(Now on the other hand, this is EA, so I'm sure there's gotta be some downside. Right? Right?
please don't be right. I want to believe...
)

EDIT: Hopefully they roll this out to PS4 at some point too. I'd sign up for the beta, but I don't have an Xbox One...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Huh, interesting. Though it seems better to wait it out for now until the vault grows bigger.

While this sounds like a neat idea, it would never appeal to me. If I'm interested in a sport, I'll buy the game (such as FIFA, Madden, or NHL) right when it releases. So the old games a couple months before each new one releases isn't too exciting. I also already own BF4, and it could be purchased for super cheap right now anyway. So if those are the only games of this year, there's no way it's worth $30 to me (and I would think it's the same for many others).

It seems to make sense since EA's games are so iterative that they eventually just do away with releasing new games yearly and just offer subscriptions to their sports and multiplayer properties and move to a "rolling-release" model.

I guess this is them getting their toes wet.

"Additionally, EA Access will also net subscribers 10 percent discounts on all EA digital content, which includes full games and DLC, as well as access to trials of new EA games nearly a week before they come out (with saves that copy over to the final game, should you choose to purchase it later). Games that will be eligible for early access and save copy-over are Madden NFL 15, NHL 15, FIFA 15, NBA Live 15, and Dragon Age: Inquisition."

This tells me that new release games will take quite a while to be included and that the games will not include the many DLC packs that EA loves to sell us. If you don't need to play day one or want anything other than the vanilla versions, it might be okay.

I read the official EA blog but nowhere does it mention $30/ year. It just says "Starting at $4.99/ month"

Did I miss another post?

failgubbe

This is hilarious. EA gets their console subscription service without needing its own console. Who better to pay up and play ball than Microsoft?

This is why the console war is not even close to being settled. Microsoft is just too aggressive.

God I'd kill to hear the details of the deal between MS and EA.

??? They already had a similar thing on the old consoles, EA Sports Season Ticket

Human_me

Wow.... this seems a bit too good to be true.

I don't have an Xbox One yet, but I will defiantly be checking this out when I do!

I'm sure that they won't be giving out brand new games in the vault, but considering that those games that are available right now are less than a year old this is looking like it might be a good value. I'll definitely look into it. $30 a year is nothing for something like this.

EA, I honestly can't believe you're giving out such a good value.

No Titanfall.....?

903.gif

So once again EA cater to Microsoft.

You know, not the audience that is the majority of next gen owners.
The console with the more people still has those people buying they games in greater amounts than the other, and now they get money from the other console to make up the gap of people otherwise only buying their games on PS4. It actually makes sense lol.

Top Bottom