• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Titanfall 2 will launch roughly three weeks from Battlefield 1

That Battlefield 1 trailer was amazing. But in the end, I can't remember the last time a Battlefield didn't end up being pretty terrible at launch. I hope it is great, but I'm not holding my breath.

Luckily all 3 have incredibly different play styles

But yeah Gears 4, Battlefield 1, and Titanfall 2 all in October? Its hard to see how one of these doesn't get overwhelmed. Battlefield is a sure fire hit at this point its just a question if the other 2 can take it.

Maybe Titanfall 2 is November though

Different play styles sure but I only have the one (pretty empty) wallet :)

Gears it is then, I think lol

Titanfall 2 is my most wanted game but EA's on crack if they think it's got a chance against 2 x CoDs and Gears and a few weeks after BF1. Early 2017 FFS.

It's being sent to die.

There should really be a bigger gap between them. I don't know why EA insists on releasing them both in the busiest, most hectic part of the year.

I'd imagine it's either

A) They think that the audience for the two games doesn't really overlap enough that they'll cannibalize each other, or

B) They have little to no faith in one of them and are just saying "fuck it" and sending it out to die at the hands of the other (and CoD) rather than waste more time/money than they have to on it

bombshell

I'm thinking this decision might be Respawn's. I bet they're relishing the idea of launching at the same time as the new Infinity Ward game.

Oh, that could indeed be a fun scenario. Around 3 weeks after 21st October is the usual Call of Duty release territory.

sh1fty

Looks like they believe the financial upside will be greater if they release before Black Friday / Christmas as opposed to spacing them out further. Seems fair.

Alienous

I'd imagine it's either

A) They think that the audience for the two games doesn't really overlap enough that they'll cannibalize each other, or

B) They have little to no faith in one of them and are just saying "fuck it" and sending it out to die at the hands of the other (and CoD) rather than waste more time/money than they have to on it

Success to them is taking sales from Call of Duty. That's what will get their investors excited. "Call of Duty sold at an all-time low, whereas Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 broke series sales records".

This is their one-two punch, courtesy of Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2. They're going for Call of Duty's throat.

EA doesn't care about your personal time. EA cares about putting out their biggest games during the Holiday season because that's when they sell the most.

Sales are hardly going to be at their premium if there's an overabundance of first-person shooters released in such a small frame of time.

Compsiox

Banned
Terrible idea. They're both huge shooters. It doesn't matter what the setting is. If both are great, shooter fans will want to play both.

(Myself included)

Chris1

So 8th/11th November then?

I've always said it'd be smart to go against CoD

But a week later?

Not like this.

Still seems odd to me to release it so close to BF1, COD, even if they are different it is competing against those games, some people only buy 1-2 games a year. Not to mention all the marketing that will be going on during the fall.

Sales are hardly going to be at their premium if there's an overabundance of first-person shooters released in such a small frame of time.
We'll see. If that was really an issue we'd see a lot more of the big shooters getting released throughout the year instead of mostly in a clump at the end. My guess is all these big games will do gangbusters.

5taquitos

That Battlefield 1 trailer was amazing. But in the end, I can't remember the last time a Battlefield didn't end up being pretty terrible at launch. I hope it is great, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well Battlefield Hardline (not DICE) and Battlefront (DICE) both had pretty much flawless launches, so my hopes are high for a smooth BF1 launch.

Kill3r7

Not sure about this. September has become the defacto Destiny month. I want Titanfall 2 to be a massive success.

Deadbeat

Banned
Fucking loved Titanfall, but the PC crowd thinned out quick. I can't imagine this will help with the sequel. Fucking stupid.
Thats the devs fault with their lack of server browser. Also the ass kissing of Azure servers and ignoring other requests didnt help either.

Chris1

Call me crazy here but after thinking about it, this might actually work.

BF1 - Oct 21st
Cod IW - Nov 4th
Titanfall - Nov 8th

Titanfall Open Beta 28th October through 6th November, cutting directly right into CoD's marketing campaign and release and I'm betting the word of mouth around that game is going to be amazing if it's anything like the first. This could be another Overwatch vs Battleborn situation
except CoD will actually sell
,but I think that's what they're trying to do here and in a way I think it might work

.. I still think they should get out before CoD but going head to head against them is smart I think.

(To clarify I don't think TF2 will outsell CoD but I do think it's going to steal a huge chunk of their playerbase this year and I believe that's what Respawn/EA's goal is here)

If they include more modes, weapons, content I will probably buy titanfall 2. Titanfall was ok but extremely shallow experience.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
When Battlefield 3 first contended with Call of Duty, Battlefield went up by about 10 million units and Call of Duty went up as well.

EA is gunning for CoD. Don't underestimate them. Consumers are not always loyal. They need a lot of ammo to get that wear and tear in on CoD. They're attacking what it used to be with BF1 and attacking what it is now with Titanfall.

Titanfall is guaranteed to review favorably compared to Infinite Warfare. Respawn is the team in the best position to make the next big thing as well - they've done it once and Titanfall 1 was a nice testing ground.

CoD may still be on top after this year, but it's not coming out of this holiday unscathed. That's the point.

We'll see what happens with the inevitable Titanfall beta.

I think Titanfall 2 would be better served with a release in March when there will be little competition and people are starting to get fatigued of BF1. Guess EA really wants to dethrone CoD this year or EA's market analysts are telling them this is for the best.

0racle

We can all agree TF1 had amazing potential. Its still a ridiculous amount of fun to this day albeit the community is not there any more. Now imagine the improvements they will make on a squeal? it will be remarkable.

I'm actually happy about this in a strange way. More likely to run into people who are into the Ttitanfall style of gameplay and less inexperienced players.

Saturate the market before the release of COD in an attempt to poach some of Activision's customers? Interesting strategy by EA and it just might work.

Top Bottom