• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Titanfall 2 will launch roughly three weeks from Battlefield 1

Bad idea. I know people here say "they're absolutely nothing alike!" but like it or not, all three of these games (CoD, BF, TF) compete for a similar enough audience. There will be sales cannibalism.

Gorillaz

Doesnt matter if its not the same era of BF1 that seems like a backfire waiting to happen. Especially since people will drop 80 for the cod legacy to play cod 4. They will have problems

KingV

I honestly think spring would have worked. It certainly did for the first game.. And being away from that time of year helped overwatch too. It gives you more attention. 'm surprised they haven't delayed it to be honest.

Publishers still haven't seemed to fully grasp that.

While lots of people buy games in the winter, there's something to be said for being the only game worth a shit releasing that month too

Gotta love the drama if Titanfall 2 goes up against Call of Duty. EA will be pushing it as what the old Infinity Ward guard are up to now at Respawn compared to new Infinity Ward with Infinite Warfare considering what went down years ago when Vince Zampella and Jason West got sacked from IW.

Whether it's a smart move or not to go up against Call of Duty - and it's not because regardless of how Infinity Ward's games have gone down the drain from MW3 onwards (but especially Ghosts), Call of Duty is still an absolute juggernaut of a series - you gotta love the drama that'll go down at a publisher level between EA and Activision if Titanfall 2 goes up against Infinite Warfare.

LQX

I love Titanfall but it seems to be the weaker of the two so I would think it would be smarter to release weeks if not months before BF1.

Chris1

Gotta love the drama if Titanfall 2 goes up against Call of Duty. EA will be pushing it as what the old Infinity Ward guard are up to now at Respawn compared to new Infinity Ward with Infinite Warfare considering what went down years ago when Vince Zampella and Jason West got sacked from IW.

Whether it's a smart move or not to go up against Call of Duty - and it's not because regardless of how Infinity Ward's games have gone down the drain from MW3 onwards (but especially Ghosts), Call of Duty is still an absolute juggernaut of a series - you gotta love the drama that'll go down at a publisher level between EA and Activision if Titanfall 2 goes up against Infinite Warfare.

This is why I have always said they should go head to head with CoD.

COD going against Titanfall 2 is going to give it a massive boost and I'm almost certain the trailers are going to have something along the lines of "from the people who brought you CoD MW1 & 2" and shit. They're going for the knife to CoD's throat here and IMO there's no better year to try steal the mindshare from CoD than this year against IW (even more so after all the hate against it in the CoD community).

The amount of free advertising Titanfall 2 will get just from people comparing the games and studios will be huge aswell. With the right marketing from EA, good trailers and a strong beta Titanfall 2 could do masssive numbers and actually be a serious threat to CoD going forward.

Just my 2 cents. Still don't really get why BF1 is releasing this year though. Don't think it's smart for Titanfall to come out after CoD, but I can (maybe?) see why they are doing it.

On the same day as Infinite Warfare.

Holy shit. The creators have come home to roost.

IW is 1.5 weeks after BF1, If it was the same day they would say roughly two weeks wouldn't they? Since they said roughly 3 weeks, it's probably in the second week of November (8th & 11th). IW releases on the 4th.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
We know for Sure Titanfall is between October and December 2016.

Can't be December, and October has already Battlefield and Gears of War.

I Say the Second week of November.

My guess: November 12th 2016.

meanspartan

I mean, I know they say it is appealing to two different types of shooter fans, but I am not so sure. Most of my friends are interested in both. This is strange and I suspect Titanfall will be delayed into early 2017.

I mean, I know they say it is appealing to two different types of shooter fans, but I am not so sure. Most of my friends are interested in both. This is strange and I suspect Titanfall will be delayed into early 2017.
The argument that they're nothing alike is fine for criticisms, but I'm not so sure it applies to sales. Surely there's a large shared portion of the audience here.

Early October since this game is not going to sell well after Infinite Warfare. Consumers are getting tired of the futuristic fps, which Titanfall is even more futuristic than Infinite Warfare.

Revas

I won't have time for anything besides Titanfall 2 this fall. Will pickup Battlefield at some point though.

Jinaar

I agree that there is an overall saturation of multiplayer games to choose from. But in my gut, TitanFall 2 is going to get my dollar and time. I needs this game.

I'm interested in both, but unless Respawn puts together one hell of a package, I think I'll be spending most of my time with BF1.

antitrop

With a single-player campaign and a launch on PS4, I don't think it will have any trouble selling better than the first game.

IW is 1.5 weeks after BF1, If it was the same day they would say roughly two weeks wouldn't they? Since they said roughly 3 weeks, it's probably in the second week of November (8th & 11th). IW releases on the 4th.

Your right. I forgot to add another week.

They should be smart about this as there are people like me who'd buy and play cod, bf1 and tf2. Release them all in a matter of weeks and you force us to choose 1 or 2, and without a doubt cod will be that chosen one for me.

NHale

So early October right? They are not insane enough to release Titanfall 2, 2 weeks after COD:IW + COD4 remaster. Forget about that because that would be DOA.

If they manage to release it early September they might avoid cannibalism but with everything so close and considering they want/need the mainstream market for TF2 sales, then you need to add the fact that FIFA 17 and NBA 2K17 also release late September/early October. Mainstream will make choices with their money in the Fall like they always do and they aren't going to "gamble" when the known commodities like Battlefield, COD, FIFA and NBA are available at the same time.

And of course there is sales cannibalism between Gears, Titanfall, Battlefield and Call of Duty no matter how different the setting really is. Remember when Blur, ModNation Racers and Split/Second release in a 2 week period and all games failed to meet expectations? All 3 games were completely different in setting but all appealed to the same market: racing game fans.

Titanfall 2 feels like it would be better served in Q1 2017.

For some reason I feel this will be the time it will be released. Maybe will be poor preorders after they announce the date and show the game, or maybe they decide to delay to allow more time in the oven for polish.

Falchion

This sucks, I'm going to have a hard time getting the most out of both of these when they're out at the same time.

Boke1879

If it's being launched in November it's being sent to die. I think 3 weeks before BF1 is Fifa launch so November makes the most sense.

But it's being sent to die. BF1 and Gears 4 will dominate the marketing and once those are out COD will take the place. No way Titanfall 2 can compete marketing wise with COD. COD again will be the game of choice.

I suspect EA is just expecting TF2 so be a moderate success.

DoomGyver

All i know is that I'm only going to have the time for 2 of those 4. I'm probably going with whichever has the best showing at e3.

I'm really excited about both of these and assuming reviews are good will probably end up purchasing both. On top of Gears 4, Doom, and Overwatch this is shaping up to be a hella good year for shooters.

Elitist1945

Looks like I'm getting TF2 over BF1. BF1 looks great, but after so many Battlefield games, Titanfall 2 will feel much more fresh.

NHale

All i know is that I'm only going to have the time for 2 of those 4. I'm probably going with whichever has the best showing at e3.

Time is a bigger issue than sales. They need to create a big community around this game unlike the first one, releasing early will still make them vulnerable to people jumping ship for Battlefield and COD once they release.

Late November might be worse if BF1 and COD4: Remaster are good since maybe people aren't interested in adding a new multiplayer game.

And "buying it in January" doesn't work because if people start seeing that the community is falling off a cliff, those that wait to buy will move on afraid of buying a game that will not have a healthy multiplayer community for a while. One example: Evolve. (very soon Battleborn)

The more I think, the more I believe this needs to be a March/April release. Make it so people are already tired of BF1 and COD and need a new flavour in the mix. Late May is perfect because of the Summer break and having that market all for themselves as we can see with Overwatch...

But what they must do on all 3 platforms is a totally open beta for everyone. If the game is superb people will come.

Theorry

So stupid. They talk about different audience. But every person i know who is intrested in fps games are looking to play both. And like me only get one game first. Most likely BF1.

Top Bottom