• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 coming to PC via Steam on July 18

Lork

Never played any of the EDF games before, but I am really enjoying this one. There's definitely a lot of relatively simple enjoyment to be derived from the basic concept of killing endless waves of bugs and the underlying mechanics aren't very complex, yet I wouldn't necessarily call the game entirely "mindless" or "brainless" since failure isn't uncommon and the increasing difficulty can in fact require a bit of actual skill late into the game.

Similarly, I think the voice acting is quite good at providing the right level of camp to the experience in a way that works with the theme, rather than being an accident or working against it. In other words, these are not bad actors delivering a weak performance but pretty good folks who know exactly what the subject matter demands and they're wiling to go there.

By the way...while I am not personally affected by the whole AMD CPU issue, it's weird that the developers still haven't incorporated the community's fix into an official patch.
Ohara really makes this game. Every word out of that guy's mouth is pure comedy gold.

Cindered

Neo Member
I'm so fucking pissed off right now. Join a lobby of some people farming on Inferno. We finish the mission and I go from 800'ish armor to over 13,000 due to cheater(s). The fun I was having just went straight down the drain. I'm hoping there's a way to undo this because I have no desire to play now.

edit

I did find out I can manually adjust my armor value down but it's only a band-aid to the problem.

There's a cheat engine table that lets you modify max armor directly, probably the best fix for the problem

manfestival

just bought the game and I am downloading it right now. Is there any way to force the game to have random fps drops and poor performance?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So does anyone else get this thing where if you're just moving your mouse for long enough in a certain direction it just suddenly jumps like 45 degrees in the direction you were moving it in?

I have no idea how to fix it.

So I can't start the 8th mission :(

I used the phenom 2 patch.

Weird, because last night I did it in co-op and we did it fine. Right now I just tried to start it in co-op and it locks up on the loading screen ._.

And it locks up in single player ._.

qq

So I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but anyone with a Japanese Wii/U should check out Zangeki if they're eager for more Sandlot shenanigans and...can't play the other EDFs for some reason/already have.

Having played that and no other EDF yet, this game is absolutely amazing. Wing Diver is exactly what I want in terms of everything(a more mobile Freyja), and the coop and lack of single-digit fps gameplay is the best. I managed to clear 100% offline in Zangeki and about ~80% online before WFC died, and I'm definitely going to go for 100% in this game too.

manfestival

been playing the game now and wonder why in the world do they struggle so much to make this game run smoothly on console? lack of talent?

Too many bugs.

Exactly.

Individual elements in isolation might look simple, but the scope of the game is goddamn epic. There's presumably room for improvement (there always is), but nobody else is doing anything like this on consoles. They have really slow CPUs and EDF is throwing a lot of things at them.

mcz117chief

I used to think fencer was too slow and boring.
Then I learned about dash canceling.

The speed is incredible.

he is fast but not very maneuverable and it takes a lot of time to bring his guns to bear. You really need to master a lot of techniques to get the most out of a lancer.

Brannon

Finally the Lysander sniper drops for my Ranger. The Lysander is a game changer. Nothing special, but does decent damage, and takes to fire between each shot. But get two of them and fire - switch - fire - switch - fire - switch etc... nothing can stand up to that in the early game. Hopefully the other classes will get Lysander equivalents.

I am confused... are you referring to actual bugs or the non physical ones?

The game can run fine if there's like 3 ants on the map but when you get to missions where there are like 40 ants and 40 small alien aircraft all at the same time plus drop ships constantly adding more, mixed with you no doubt launching explosions everywhere you go, destroying every building in sight, there's a LOT of things going on even though the game is very basic looking.

So it's more like they just crank everything to 11 and just said fuck it, who cares.

Llyranor

With the fencer, you dash with melee weapon, activate the shield reflect (or use a fast weapon attack like the hand cannon) to cancel the dash cooldown, so you can dash immediately after

So I can't start the 8th mission :(

I used the phenom 2 patch.

Weird, because last night I did it in co-op and we did it fine. Right now I just tried to start it in co-op and it locks up on the loading screen ._.

And it locks up in single player ._.

qq

To quote myself

Starting mission 8, I actually got it to load once, but the sidewalk was rainbow colored(Like a graphics glitch of improperly loaded textures?) and I could play the mission fine, but it crashed after 'Mission Cleared'.

Anyone experience something similar?

manfestival

The game can run fine if there's like 3 ants on the map but when you get to missions where there are like 40 ants and 40 small alien aircraft all at the same time plus drop ships constantly adding more, mixed with you no doubt launching explosions everywhere you go, destroying every building in sight, there's a LOT of things going on even though the game is very basic looking.

So it's more like they just crank everything to 11 and just said fuck it, who cares.

yeah I can see that. the game is hilarious the scale of these motherships is crazy.

Manatox

To quote myself

Starting mission 8, I actually got it to load once, but the sidewalk was rainbow colored(Like a graphics glitch of improperly loaded textures?) and I could play the mission fine, but it crashed after 'Mission Cleared'.

Anyone experience something similar?

I think you should verify the files of the game, as this looks like something is corrupted.

Jinaar

I have been playing on HARD without picking up any armour and got to level 15, only to learn those red armour boxes are important all along. Who knew!!!

I got a Laser Chainsaw and declared before God and Man that I would never use another weapon.

It's phenomenal and I never want to let it from my sight.

I got a Laser Chainsaw and declared before God and Man that I would never use another weapon.

It's phenomenal and I never want to let it from my sight.

It's definitely the best weapon I've used in 28 hours of play. I'm sure when I get to Inferno I'll need something meaner, but for most of the game the Laser Chainsaw is amazingly OP.

That the game gives to the already OP class is even crazier.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
HOLY CRAP I just found out about this coming out for PC this morning. Instantly bought it. Can't wait to get home tonight and play it.

Does anyone know how the game runs on older hardware? I have an i5-3570K with 8GB of RAM and a Radeon HD6870 (1GB VRAM). Do you think it's gonna be okay?

been playing the game now and wonder why in the world do they struggle so much to make this game run smoothly on console? lack of talent?

Have a look at what's going on when it slows down. There's usually a screen full of bugs, blood, explosions, robots, collapsing buildings and projectiles everywhere. EDF is infamous for turning into a slide-show when things pop-off royally! I'm not saying it's well written but shit gets hectic :D

I got the PS4 version off a friend for a fiver but i've yet to plat it. If it's any good i'll double-dip on PC later this year. Love these games and i'm gutted i lost my 360 disk :(

I have been playing on HARD without picking up any armour and got to level 15, only to learn those red armour boxes are important all along. Who knew!!!

What the fuuu....

Since I've only played with the Ranger on Normal so far, I kinda thought the Armor boxes were there for the other classes, so I've been mostly avoiding them.

Anyway, this game is just pure, dumb fun, it constantly keeps making these grand, incredibly awesome moments, even if I've seen a mothership shoot its genocide laser quite a few times now, it still evokes a "holy shit" reaction out of me every time. Really glad it came to PC.

Dinjoralo

Y'know, for being a game about simple, dumb fun, there's a surprising amount of polish in what little the game does. I never would have thought about balancing how classes get up from ragdoll, or when different classes can reload. And I like the menus having voice overs! Not to mention the absurd frickin' weapon variety...

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Just did the first 4 missions on my aging desktop and... IT'S REALLY SMOOTH :DDD

Just in case I lowered the anisotropic filtering to 4x, but my old HD 6870 with 1GB of VRAM has no trouble handling it. It's laggy for the first few seconds of a mission, then smooth all the way... Though obviously I've yet to do a crazy mission with hundreds of monsters on screen at once.

Anyone wanna play right now?

Haunted

Game: "We've encountered some lizards"

Me: "oh well that doesn't sound too bad, I can handle a couple lizards"

OH SHIT THERE ARE FUCKING RATHIANS EVERYWHERE

manfestival

Holy shit game becomes goddamn bananas around mission 12 or so.

hah I was thinking the same thing last night when playing then my friend had me join him for some missions in the 30 range and I was playing the game with a look like a super excited little kid. So many freaking awesome things were happening(I feel like talking about them would be a sin and spoiling the insanity).

I cannot wait for later missions. I am actually super surprised by the sheer amount of missions too

got this off amazon for ps4 for $20 last week, played a few hours of coop today; amazing. wing diver just seems so much more fun than the other classes tho, that maneuverability is just too good, but i'll have to experiment

OmegaFax

got this off amazon for ps4 for $20 last week, played a few hours of coop today; amazing. wing diver just seems so much more fun than the other classes tho, that maneuverability is just too good, but i'll have to experiment

Is the co-op active at all on PS4?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This game got me feeling all:

14990993911_90f9929de5_o.jpg

KingKong

Never played any of the EDF games before, but I am really enjoying this one. There's definitely a lot of relatively simple enjoyment to be derived from the basic concept of killing endless waves of bugs and the underlying mechanics aren't very complex, yet I wouldn't necessarily call the game entirely "mindless" or "brainless" since failure isn't uncommon and the increasing difficulty can in fact require a bit of actual skill late into the game.

Similarly, I think the voice acting is quite good at providing the right level of camp to the experience in a way that works with the theme, rather than being an accident or working against it. In other words, these are not bad actors delivering a weak performance but pretty good folks who know exactly what the subject matter demands and they're wiling to go there.

By the way...while I am not personally affected by the whole AMD CPU issue, it's weird that the developers still haven't incorporated the community's fix into an official patch.

I totally agree. I came in expecting something goofy and simple but there's a lot of really interesting design decisions like how the shield robots work and how different the classes are

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Man I'm starting to feel the weight of the 50 dollar price tag.

I can't convince any of my friends to try the game out in co-op with me. They are all interested but they aren't willing to drop 50.

I just wanna laser chainsaw with my friendsssss

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I can't convince any of my friends to try the game out in co-op with me. They are all interested but they aren't willing to drop 50.

If you've got an Nvidia card, and if the game supports exclusive fullscreen, GeForce Experience beta has a new share feature that basically does a low latency stream to your friend that allows them to do couch co-op with you. It's kinda like a shareplay type thing for PC.

Llyranor

There is a 2 hr demo. Have them try it and decide whether it's worth keeping

Mechazawa

Tell your friends Mechazawa on Neogaf told them they're punk asses, guaranteed sales.

Top Bottom