• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 coming to PC via Steam on July 18

pa22word

Have you read the thread? If not, set your desktop resolution to your downsampling resolution before launching the game.
Yes I have done that. I always do that by default anyways because dsr auto changes my refresh rate down from 144hz down to 60hz for whatever reason.

Dinjoralo

the radio chatter is only one up'd by vicinity chat - "did you tell her you love her?', "why did you get married?", "for some reason"

edit: I think I'm more of a threat then the bugs right now - getting so much satisfaction from leveling the skyscrapers with multiple grenades - the destruction physics is clunky but feels so good!
"Did you eat lunch?" "Don't be stupid."

Yeah, I love the destruction physics, and I love how you can level buildings frickin miles away with grenades! If only it didn't kill the framerate...

Oh yeah, Steam spy says around 15,000 people bough EDF! That's got to be a success, right?

DocSeuss

THIS SHIT IS THE TITS.

THERE WAS THIS GIANT FUCKING CLOUD OF ANTS AND I HAD A GRENADE LAUNCHER AND BY THE TIME I WAS DONE THE CITY WAS FUCKIN' DESTROYED AND SOME GUY WAS LIKE "GIANT INSECTS R 2 STRONG" BUT I PROVED THAT GIANT INSECTS ARE FUCKING NOTHING NEXT TO ME.

HOT DAMN I WANT MORE GAMES LIKE THIS, DEEP WITHIN MY LOINS. I GOTTA GO PESTER EVERYONE I KNOW TO PLAY THIS SHIT.

AdamT

Picked it up last night thanks to the positive comments. Really liking it compared to Insect Armageddon. I wish the flying class weapons weren't tied to the jet pack energy, though.

aravuus

THIS SHIT IS THE TITS.

THERE WAS THIS GIANT FUCKING CLOUD OF ANTS AND I HAD A GRENADE LAUNCHER AND BY THE TIME I WAS DONE THE CITY WAS FUCKIN' DESTROYED AND SOME GUY WAS LIKE "GIANT INSECTS R 2 STRONG" BUT I PROVED THAT GIANT INSECTS ARE FUCKING NOTHING NEXT TO ME.

HOT DAMN I WANT MORE GAMES LIKE THIS, DEEP WITHIN MY LOINS. I GOTTA GO PESTER EVERYONE I KNOW TO PLAY THIS SHIT.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

mcz117chief

Hahaha, I love how everybody loves the game :D

Just a couple of months ago most people were calling the game shit and now that everybody actually gets to play it, thanks to the PC port, everyone agrees that this is one of the most fun games ever.

I always laughed out loud whenever I read Jim Sterling's review where he gives the game 3/10 calling it utter shit :D

Tizoc

Just a couple of months ago most people were calling the game shit and now that everybody actually gets to play it, thanks to the PC port, everyone agrees that this is one of the most fun games ever.

I always laughed out loud whenever I read Jim Sterling's review where he gives the game 3/10 calling it utter shit :D
Jim sterling disliked this?

DocSeuss

I was gonna buy it on PS4 when I had the money, but then they announced the PC version so it was a no-brainer. But then I didn't have any money anyways, and then someone gave it to me, so I love it triply so now.

I don't think Jim Sterling is a good reviewer, to be honest. Like, sure, he can put words in the right places, but I trust him about as much as I trust Jeff Gerstmann, which is to say not at all. They're about as reliable as Angry Joe, and I don't know about you, but Angry Joe is basically the IGN of 'angry youtubers' and is as trustworthy as they are. Plus I just think I know more about good game design than all of them combined into some sort of bad reviewer Voltron.

Tizoc

I was gonna buy it on PS4 when I had the money, but then they announced the PC version so it was a no-brainer. But then I didn't have any money anyways, and then someone gave it to me, so I love it triply so now.

I don't think Jim Sterling is a good reviewer, to be honest. Like, sure, he can put words in the right places, but I trust him about as much as I trust Jeff Gerstmann, which is to say not at all. They're about as reliable as Angry Joe, and I don't know about you, but Angry Joe is basically the IGN of 'angry youtubers' and is as trustworthy as they are. Plus I just think I know more about good game design than all of them combined into some sort of bad reviewer Voltron.
Something tells me total biscui would like this game.

ArchAngel

Always played the Ranger at the EDF series, this time I tried to level the Wing Diver. Holy shit at Level 20 electroshock weapons. Only problem is - if you ignore your boost meter, you're as good as dead :D

Riposte

Putting Gerstmann at the same level of Sterling is unfair. Gies is more Sterling's match.

TB has praised EDF in the past.

Always played the Ranger at the EDF series, this time I tried to level the Wing Diver. Holy shit at Level 20 electroshock weapons. Only problem is - if you ignore your boost meter, you're as good as dead :D

Yep, managing your energy is one of the trade offs for the Wing Diver! It's also one of my favorite aspects because it curbs my habit of going ham on things too much.

That and bunny boosting away on very little energy is intense fun.

It sounds like Sterling can't move past the premise of giant insects being your enemy. Perhaps he has never experienced the fear of insects himself, but surely he at least knows someone for whom encountering giant flies would be a terrifying prospect.

Sorry Jim. This game is utterly amazing!!!! I can't wait to get home to play it and grind in local co-op.

EDF 4.1 is an amazing game, glad more people can play this. I wish to get the PC version but my PC is crap. At least the PS4 version will suffice, also I need my giant controllable robot. :p

Quantum

I figured out another reason I like this version versus AI

the loot/drop system reminds me more of 2017.

I like the RNG system;

- where you get excited seeing the green crate drops,
- pick up the reds to slowly grind armor
- remember where you left the heal crates in case you get in trouble.

mcz117chief

Been playing up to the mid-20's stages. They're really starting to get intense!

Mate, you have no idea.

What I love about the game is how the tone completely changes during the 2nd half. 1st half it's all like "wohoo, EDF forever, let's roll, baby!" and second half is
"It's game over, man, game over! There is no hope, we are all going to die a terrible death! We lost everything, humanity is doomed!"
Especially the last 30 missions or so when the
Earth eaters
start to appear.

TB was gushing about it on this week's podcast.

Jim wrote about his trouble with EDF.

I hate, HATE, how he keeps saying that EDF is in the camp of games that "are so bad that they are good"! It fucking is not! EDF is not some janky ass bullshit that plays like crap, has terrible sound and graphics and is generally tedious or monotonous. Deadly Premonition is "so bad it's good" but not EDF. EDF plays like a dream, the controls are super slick and responsive (I actually like the fell of the controls more than pretty much any other action game on PS4), the enemies are varied and the gameplay is just 100% orgasmic. Unlike Dynasty Warriors in EDF even common enemies can easily murder you and bosses can brutalise you in seconds if you let them. I would never, EVER, call this game "it's so bad it's good", no, because it's so fucking good that it's so fucking good and there is no other way to say it.

"comparable to Deadly Premonition, another game I absolutely adore and to which EDF could be compared in several pertinent ways." N.O.NO! He obviously has a completely distorted view of the game if he honestly thinks that.

He really isn't. Even though this board seems to gobble his nuts. He has "I'm taking a stand against this!" vids though so apparently his opinion is worth more or something.

I think most people like him for the entertainment value of his persona. I never thought his opinions were particularly insightful.

Tizoc

Game has around 20K owners on Steam atm. Hope it'll reach 100K by a year's time :p

I think most people like him for the entertainment value of his persona. I never thought his opinions were particularly insightful.

That sadly has been my view of him for some time now, reason I stopped watching Jimquisition :/

I hate, HATE, how he keeps saying that EDF is in the camp of games that "are so bad that they are good"! It fucking is not! EDF is not some janky ass bullshit that plays like crap, has terrible sound and graphics and is generally tedious or monotonous. Deadly Premonition is "so bad it's good" but not EDF. EDF plays like a dream, the controls are super slick and responsive (I actually like the fell of the controls more than pretty much any other action game on PS4), the enemies are varied and the gameplay is just 100% orgasmic. Unlike Dynasty Warriors in EDF even common enemies can easily murder you and bosses can brutalise you in seconds if you let them. I would never, EVER, call this game "it's so bad it's good", no, because it's so fucking good that it's so fucking good and there is no other way to say it.

"comparable to Deadly Premonition, another game I absolutely adore and to which EDF could be compared in several pertinent ways." N.O.NO! He obviously has a completely distorted view of the game if he honestly thinks that.

Sure. The big difference between Deadly Premonition and EDF (or Dynasty Warriors, for that matter) is that the gameplay in Deadly Premonition is something that people tolerate for the sake of a quirky Twin Peaks-esque story. The combat in Deadly Premonition is just poorly designed on a fundamental level. Whereas with EDF and Dynasty Warriors, the main reason anyone plays is because of the feel of the combat. The story in those games is so trivial, that I sure hope no one is just tolerating the gameplay to get to the next story bit!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

I absolutely agree with this. You can ding EDF for many things, especially related to presentation and even repetitiveness, but it's such a damn joy to play. I've never agreed with it being a 'so bad it's good' game. Just like I would never call the Dynasty Warriors games bad games either. They do what they do damn well.

Eila

Game has around 20K owners on Steam atm. Hope it'll reach 100K by a year's time :p

That sadly has been my view of him for some time now, reason I stopped watching Jimquisition :/

Great number I think. Already beat Onechanbara by a lot. I guess for these ports positive word of mouth is most important.
I'd jump on it at a lower price.

Mrbob

Don't know why it matters if Jim likes EDF. I disagree with him on the topic of the game but it doesn't bother me that he doesn't like the series. It is an acquired taste like Dynasty Warriors (both franchises I enjoy).

Some people have posted about TB and EDF, here is where you talked about it on the podcast. Warning language if at work or have some kids around:

https://youtu.be/H_Z8jM6-A0c?t=1h31m30s

Mohasus

I'm trying really hard to like this game but it is just an average game to me (30 missions done). Maybe I should try new weapons or classes, but my rocket launcher and sniper are so damn good.

I wish I were as happy as Mark (from CGR) is when he plays EDF.

mcz117chief

Jim Sterling gave Vanquish a 5/10.

Do I need to say anything else?

Is his opinion anyway, stop being angry at someone else opinion

I don't mind opinions, but the way he worded the review is just wrong on so many levels. It seems like he has a huge beef with the game and can't seem to find any positives in it at all despite the fact that the game has many objectively good perks. His entire review reads "hurr durr, this game sucks 3/10", giving a game 3/10 means it is pretty bad on a fundamental level and since the game actually runs and controls well then for that alone the game deserves a better score even if you got little enjoyment from it, but technically it is a sound game.

I picked up this game 2 days ago. Really like it. I don't know how anyone can say it controls or plays poorly also. Even though the story is basically blowing up as much shit as possible, this game is really charming, especially with everyone chanting,

"EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!"

This game also has a lot of weapons, a lot of the fun is going into a new stage and giving them a test run.

I don't mind opinions, but the way he worded the review is just wrong on so many levels. It seems like he has a huge beef with the game and can't seem to find any positives in it at all despite the fact that the game has many objectively good perks. His entire review reads "hurr durr, this game sucks 3/10", giving a game 3/10 means it is pretty bad on a fundamental level and since the game actually runs and controls well then for that alone the game deserves a better score even if you got little enjoyment from it, but technically it is a sound game.

I understand, I get what you are coming from, but not everyone gets the same experience with a game, not everyone applies the same standards when he plays a game, not everyone have the same value metrics when they apply a score into a game.

We can discuss his review on this and his Vanquish one, for days (which I consider utterly disastrous). But at the end of the day, is just an opinion.

Is not really worth that much energy.

Quantum

I picked up this game 2 days ago. Really like it. I don't know how anyone can say it controls or plays poorly also. Even though the story is basically blowing up as much shit as possible, this game is really charming, especially with everyone chanting,

"EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!"

This game also has a lot of weapons, a lot of the fun is going into a new stage and giving them a test run.

If I had to complain - which I tend to do more than needed:

I am using a controller (360) and re-mapped the buttons

- I don't like that the jump function and the dodge are the same button/action key.
- I don't like that for some reason when I panic I push the left stick and bring up the conversation wheel and die instead of rolling in the direction I had intended.

other than that I'm like a McDonalds tag line.

If I had to complain - which I tend to do more than needed:

I am using a controller (360) and re-mapped the buttons

- I don't like that the jump function and the dodge are the same button/action key.
- I don't like that for some reason when I panic I push the left stick and bring up the conversation wheel and die instead of rolling in the direction I had intended.

other than that I'm like a McDonalds tag line.

I could see that being an issue. I'm using KBM, so I don't know how it's mapped on controllers. I do hate if anything that is not crouch or run is mapped to the left thumbstick press, it's just a really easy way to screw someone up in a rough moment.

Jonbo298

Had a constant odd bug while playing online. Trying to play level 28 on Hardest. Every single time it would be stuck loading and then disconnect all of us and finish loading, solo only. Only time it ever loaded properly was my brother and another guy.

mcz117chief

do the commands actually even do anything in this game? does it actually make the troops behave differently?

It makes them sing, shout or do the same emote you do, what more do you want?

Seriously though, I haven't seen any type of behavioural change when you tell them something.

Quantum

"Here's the headline for the aliens newspaper...those earth aliens were savage!"

- this game makes me crack up - worth the price of entry for that line alone - the way its acted is gritty and over the top.

kudos.

JCG

Never played any of the EDF games before, but I am really enjoying this one. There's definitely a lot of relatively simple enjoyment to be derived from the basic concept of killing endless waves of bugs and the underlying mechanics aren't very complex, yet I wouldn't necessarily call the game entirely "mindless" or "brainless" since failure isn't uncommon and the increasing difficulty can in fact require a bit of actual skill late into the game.

Similarly, I think the voice acting is quite good at providing the right level of camp to the experience in a way that works with the theme, rather than being an accident or working against it. In other words, these are not bad actors delivering a weak performance but pretty good folks who know exactly what the subject matter demands and they're wiling to go there.

By the way...while I am not personally affected by the whole AMD CPU issue, it's weird that the developers still haven't incorporated the community's fix into an official patch.

Jonbo298

I'm so fucking pissed off right now. Join a lobby of some people farming on Inferno. We finish the mission and I go from 800'ish armor to over 13,000 due to cheater(s). The fun I was having just went straight down the drain. I'm hoping there's a way to undo this because I have no desire to play now.

edit

I did find out I can manually adjust my armor value down but it's only a band-aid to the problem.

Top Bottom