• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 coming to PC via Steam on July 18

I doubt the online mode is region locked purposefully. It seems that it's a Steamworks thing that many games use though. Change your download region to your friend's region and you should be able to connect without using any VPN. I did that for Umbrella Corps and it worked well.

Ozium

Any AMD users having problems? I'm seeing a lot of stuff in the discussions about AMD CPUs and GPUs being wacked (Thanks Japan)

Can anyone confirm? I have FX 8320 and R9 380

I think it's mostly to do with AMD CPUs, I have an R9 390 and it runs great, but I also have an i7-6700k..

I think a lot of performance in this game is cpu dependent

Jackpot

Banned
One of the early missions focuses on the Air Strike guy. I kept hearing repeated chatter about an airborne fortress ready to fire and artillery ready to be dropped in but I had nothing but my standard weapons. Did I miss something?

One of the early missions focuses on the Air Strike guy. I kept hearing repeated chatter about an airborne fortress ready to fire and artillery ready to be dropped in but I had nothing but my standard weapons. Did I miss something?

No, air strikes/vehicle drops will happen as scripted events in a level, you're never required to use a specific weapon or class in any mission (although certain missions may become very difficult if you don't have a good long-range weapon).

I just want to back up all the recommendations for Wing Diver. The other classes are fun too, but Wing Diver with her mobility really makes the gameplay shine.

Unless they changed something with .1 I think that's just bad dialogue scripting. The early class introduction missions in general are pretty bad with that.

mcz117chief

I just want to back up all the recommendations for Wing Diver. The other classes are fun too, but Wing Diver with her mobility really makes the gameplay shine.

Once you learn the way of the fencer you never look back, but it does take a lot of practice to actually pull off some lean mean combos with him. Wing diver is great for her mobility so picking up boxes is super easy BUT she is lacking in heavy firepower except for Raijin and some other super high level weapons. Without the Raijin it would take me forever to beat the final levels, with the ranger it was really easy since he has about 75% of Fencer's firepower while having a constant movement speed and aiming speed. Ranger is also great because he heals everyone when he picks up a health pack and can react much faster than the fencer who is cumbersome unless you are on the offensive. Air raider is great too but you can only really use his abilities to their full potential when you are playing coop.

Theonik

Does lag really matters on a co-op game? I mean, as long is playable.

I can play PvP on DSIII with fellow gaffers with decent lag, I can't see why I can't do the same on this game which requires not as low ping to be playable.

And I can feel most people would accept their 300 ping co-op experience than rather not being able to play with anyone....
I mean this is the main reason to do it. Not that it's necessary. There is a number of solutions in matchmaking. Another advantage is spreading the load of players but that's not that helpful since players are not evenly distributed by region.

But experience depends on the netcode and the type of game which dictates what solutions can be implemented to provide a good user experience. Local filters help reduce base latency which makes reducing perceived latency easier.

You are right that in this kind of game for many people playing with friends outweighs having a better experience in terms of play which means that should be a priority.

Mrbob

I'm running with the Wing Diver right now, how does the energy bar work exactly. Does it stay static or can you upgrade it to be larger.

I might need a mod for infinite energy so I can fly without ever hitting the ground.

mcz117chief

I'm running with the Wing Diver right now, how does the energy bar work exactly. Does it stay static or can you upgrade it to be larger.

I might need a mod for infinite energy so I can fly without ever hitting the ground.

Only the air raider can give you a booster that will make you recharge faster but if you play solo or without an air raider with the booster then it will stay the same for the duration of the whole campaign. If you ration your energy well and use the right weapons you don't hit the ground often.

epmode

It won't go past your desktop resolution, but beyond that it seems like it'll run at pretty much anything.

I bought the game and.. well.. it doesn't run at 1440p for me. It technically allows me to choose 1440p but the game only appears in 1080p in the upper left corner of my screen.

Good times.

edit: Of course it corrected itself after I relaunched. HOORAY

Theonik

I bought the game and.. well.. it doesn't run at 1440p for me. It technically allows me to choose 1440p but the game only appears in 1080p in the upper left corner of my screen.

Good times.

edit: Of course it corrected itself after I relaunched. HOORAY
Since it's fixed for you I'll just post this for future reference.
1. The game will run as a maximum at your desktop res. If you wish to downsample you must increase it.
2. You must make sure that the mode is set to fullscreen and not letterbox.
3. Restart the game after you have made sure to have made all the necessary settings including desktop resolution.

The game should run. AA at the moment only affects the menu so an AA injector is needed.

BONKERS

Nah. The first screenshot is native 4K. The second isn't. That's the weird part.

This has very clearly unscaled aliasing on it

This has very clearly scaled aliasing

Compare them both downsampled and see the first one has aliasing cleaned out. The second doesn't.

Edit: Looks like the rest of the thread already figured this out. Glad to see it has downsampling!
Yeah, you gotta set your desktop res first and turn off letterboxing.

I figured this out fairly easily. There was a thread on the Steam forums as well.

Also, the in game AA seems to be broken at the moment with comparison I made earlier
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/179024

Even if it wasn't broken, i'd recommend forcing FXAA/SMAA on top and downsampling in conjunction with it :p

Is the Chat Wheel broken for anyone else in Solo play? Using it does nothing, and also causes hitches/stuttering randomly.

Performance is great! I can only get it to slow down by blowing up multiple buildings. I don't know if my old first gen i7 is the cause for that or not though. (GTX 980)

Llyranor

Did the first 9 missions coop online. Really fun game! So many bugs! Framerate seemed rocksteady at 60, did not notice any significant drop.

Wing Diver is a lot of fun to handle. Fencer with the multiple weapons with different utilities also seems pretty nice.

Lork

So if I'm not going to be doing any downsampling should I leave that letterbox option on or off? I'm playing in 16:9 if that matters.

BONKERS

So if I'm not going to be doing any downsampling should I leave that letterbox option on or off? I'm playing in 16:9 if that matters.

It shouldnt' matter at 16:9. Unless the game isn't properly rendering at your selected resolution. Then the actual render resolution will be scaled 1:1 to the upper left.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Very pleased with the port overall so far after playing a bunch tonight. Absolutely rock solid though admittedly I'm not passed mission 15 yet so I'm nowhere near the crazier missions. 4 player coop has been rock solid as well, no disconnects and running well. Some quirks they need to sort out like the Phenom CPU issue and region locking but if they sort those out it would be even better.

OmegaDL50

Yup, I had that issue- posted a screen of it on an earlier page. Using 100% scaling in windows is a real pain to my eyes, makes fonts much too small. Not sure why this game is linked to windows font size. They need to fix it. I even checked in the properties for the .exe file, and the "disable text scaling on high resolutions" was already checked. :(

Yeah this is a problem. No other PC game I own has this problem.

I have a slight vision impairment which requires me to have text options on my PC at 150%

I don't feel like changing my settings to 100% needing to log out and then log back in for it to take effect just to properly play this game.

Hopefully they fix this in a patch.

Zafir

Played a good amount of missions with some friends online and have been pleasantly surprised by how fun it is and also how well it runs. I mean the graphics are nothing to write home about, but the sheer amount of destruction, and how it manages to stay at 60fps through it all is super impressive.

Definitely need to inject some AA though, the jaggies are a bit off putting.

Lork

Yeah this is a problem. No other PC game I own has this problem.

I have a slight vision impairment which requires me to have text options on my PC at 150%

I don't feel like changing my settings to 100% needing to log out and then log back in for it to take effect just to properly play this game.

Hopefully they fix this in a patch.
Not making excuses for the game or anything but if the issue is just with the text you're not missing a whole lot. I played the PSP version of EDF 2 in Japanese before they put out the english version on Vita and got by just fine, and this game is no different.

Karak

Did my review for ACG. Game is really good. A couple issues here and there but for the price. Well worth it.

The Orz

Gave the four-player co-op a spin last night with a bunch of strangers and it went really well (especially since they were all on mics and I wasn't).

The in-game emotes and pre-made text messages are absurd and hilarious. At one point all hell is breaking loose--giant ants are raining down from a half dozen alien ships--and one of my teammates asks, using the in-game system, "Can we talk about this later?"

I don't know why, but this absolutely killed me. I wanted to respond with "I'm just going through some things. I'll text you." but all I could find was WULARG! which, honestly, was even better because it was a vocal emote. WULARG! became my battle cry.

I'd also like to say that whoever came up with the songs the soldiers sing is brilliant. This game is so great. Now to fix the font scaling issue :p

Dinjoralo

I just realized, this game is seriously beating I Am Setsuna in sales on Steam. DAMN. Double impressive if the top sellers is actually based on money made rather than units sold, like I think it does.

Tried some co-op with a Gaffer and two rando's. Pretty fun! Too bad there's no good mic stuff like muting and push to talk...

BONKERS

I just realized, this game is seriously beating I Am Setsuna in sales on Steam. DAMN. Double impressive if the top sellers is actually based on money made rather than units sold, like I think it does.

Tried some co-op with a Gaffer and two rando's. Pretty fun! Too bad there's no good mic stuff like muting and push to talk...

Game needs mute button so hard. Or Push to talk and a separate voice volume control.

eastx

How is this for solo play? I don't care about co-op or multiplayer.

Probably not the game for you, since co-op is where much of the fun comes from. Air Raider, the support class, would be much less useful without other people to support.

Single-player is fine, but sometimes you'll hit a level that you might be unable to beat without grinding or getting better gear from multiplayer. On the plus side, you can hear the NPC radio conversations (which is essentially all the story you get) much better in the absence of multiplayer voice chat.

Mohasus

Weapon levels are static. You find higher level weapons in later missions and on harder difficulties.

For example if you can survive the first mission on Inferno, you'll get some guns that would let you coast through normal.

I just found out that you can't disable the weapon level limit on online until you reach a certain point in the game. :(

My friend was frustrated that he died 3 times for nothing.

low-G

How is this for solo play? I don't care about co-op or multiplayer.

I've played through more than one EDF title only playing the single player. I think it's fantastic. Any grinding is relatively minimal. I think in a previous title I had to play a single level maybe 10 times to get powered up (out of >60 levels), but I had fun doing so.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Probably not the game for you, since co-op is where much of the fun comes from. Air Raider, the support class, would be much less useful without other people to support.

Single-player is fine, but sometimes you'll hit a level that you might be unable to beat without grinding or getting better gear from multiplayer. On the plus side, you can hear the NPC radio conversations (which is essentially all the story you get) much better in the absence of multiplayer voice chat.

Don't think I'd agree with that. Most of my time with EDF over the years has been solo and it's always a blast. Of course any game is more fun with friends but there's plenty of fun to be had in single player.

One thing to note is that single player and multiplayer progression are two different things in 4.1 So if you play up to say mission 15 in multiplayer and haven't touched the single player then you'll need to start from mission one in single player. What does carry over though are your weapons, armour etc so you'll always be making character progress :)

Top Bottom