• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 4.1 coming to PC via Steam on July 18

Can the full campaign be played online coop?

The online campaign is not the same as the offline campaign. The online campaign is more difficult and has more stages (around 10). Most levels are the same, but there are some levels exclusive to the online mode. This means that your online level progress won't be the same as if you play offline. Your weapons and armor will be the same across both.

Wow I missed this initial announcement. This will be the fifth time I buy (a version of) this game. Just passed 90 hours on the U.S. PS4 version the other day. Can't wait to see it at a (mostly) locked framerate.

Dinjoralo

I'm at mission 5, and I'm already getting some frame rate dips when things get crazy... How's everyone else doing on performance?

(btw, gtx 970 and i5 6600k, both overclocked)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm at mission 5, and I'm already getting some frame rate dips when things get crazy... How's everyone else doing on performance?

(btw, gtx 970 and i5 6600k, both overclocked)

Gotten to mission 10 and have had 0 framerate drops. i7 4770k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce 980.

studyguy

FUCK YEAH THIS GAME IS THE SHIT

EDF!

Ran through as an Air Raider all last night, unlocked walking fortress Balam.
Gives me that robot alchemic drive feel. Fuck sandlot, make another mecha game.
FPS is much smoother than my console experience.

Anyway, nothing like breaking into song after shooting your own teammate with a howitzer

Welcome to the war, PC gamers! Enjoy busting some bugs!

Even though I own it on PS4, once it gets to a slightly more reasonable price point for double dipping I'll be doing it.

Sinatar

Just in case there is anyone on the fence:

insta016.gif

Jonbo298

I'm loving it so far. Just video gaming in its purest form, I'm happy to re-experience this in HD and (mostly) stable frames. A few dips in frames at times when things get really hectic (mostly when I blow up buildings) but even then it'll go from 60 to around 47 so it's negligible for being EDF.

Sinatar

So how do weapon levels work? Is there a way to level them up, or are they always at whatever level you find them at?

Weapon levels are static. You find higher level weapons in later missions and on harder difficulties.

For example if you can survive the first mission on Inferno, you'll get some guns that would let you coast through normal.

Any interest in a GAF EDF discord? Would be an easy way to get GAF groups going, though the voice chat would be a bit redundant.

I can't wait to get back in it. Also, I've had some drops already but I was playing 4 player coop and at 1440p. 3570k, 290 and 16GB of ram, for reference. I'm kind of glad, EDF without the drops just isn't the same.

DooMAGE

The huge flaw is that the multiplayer of this game is region locked, you can't play with friends in another countries.
So there is no one in my lobby ...

Wow this game is nuts, in a good way. I cant imagine what the later missions are like, I thought the first mission was epic in scale.

Is there a run button?

Also do you level up automatically? First mission I gad 200/200 health/armor then in second its 205/205. I was surprised because I didnt see any XP type numbers pop up or a level up prompt.

Sinatar

Wow this game is nuts, in a good way. I cant imagine what the later missions are like, I thought the first mission was epic in scale.

Is there a run button?

Also do you level up automatically? First mission I gad 200/200 health/armor then in second its 205/205. I was surprised because I didnt see any XP type numbers pop up or a level up prompt.

No run button sadly.

No leveling, you gain health by picking up the red Armor boxes that enemies drop. The amount of health you get varies on the character, but it's usually 2 - 3 boxes = 1 health.

OmegaFax

No run button sadly.

No leveling, you gain health by picking up the red Armor boxes that enemies drop.

The amount of health you get varies on the character, but it's usually 2 - 3 boxes = 1 health.

If it's anything like Earth Defense Force 2 (which I picked up on Vita over the weekend) ... the standard infantry guy (or ranger class) ought to have a roll dash.

Risette

A Good Citizen

Is there a run button?

No run button, if you want higher mobility use Wing Diver.

AlanOC91

Getting messed up text in 4k. Anyone else having this issue? All lower half of text is cut off.

Some pic from steam forum:

EDF41_2016_07_19_19_49_56_73.png

EDIT: ugh apparently the only solution is to set widows scaling back to 100%. That's god damn annoying.

Xbudz

Getting messed up text in 4k. Anyone else having this issue? All lower half of text is cut off.

Some pic from steam forum:

EDF41_2016_07_19_19_49_56_73.png

EDIT: ugh apparently the only solution is to set widows scaling back to 100%. That's god damn annoying.

Yup, I had that issue- posted a screen of it on an earlier page. Using 100% scaling in windows is a real pain to my eyes, makes fonts much too small. Not sure why this game is linked to windows font size. They need to fix it. I even checked in the properties for the .exe file, and the "disable text scaling on high resolutions" was already checked. :(

epmode

Does this actually run at 1440p? I know someone was having trouble but was that just due to a bug or something else?

KDR_11k

So how do weapon levels work? Is there a way to level them up, or are they always at whatever level you find them at?

Weapon levels are only used for multiplayer to make people use roughly mission appropriate gear instead of taking something that just obliterates the whole mission in one shot.

These missions suck though. This one in particular is good for early Inferno weapon farming though.

It only sucks for people who stick with the walking fortress instead of dropping a Proteus. That thing has enough firepower to kill the kaijus (and obliterate any ants with its 30x homing missiles). Though it tends to get knocked around by the walking forts since it's only knee high for them.

Sinatar

Does this actually run at 1440p? I know someone was having trouble but was that just due to a bug or something else?

It won't go past your desktop resolution, but beyond that it seems like it'll run at pretty much anything.

Lettuce

Seem to be capped at 60hz sadly...i want 160hz!!

How dso you level up your weapons?, done 5 missions now and there still on Level 0. Also was the audio mixing this bad on the PS4 version

Sinatar

Seem to be capped at 60hz sadly...i want 160hz!!

How dso you level up your weapons?, done 5 missions now and there still on Level 0. Also was the audio mixing this bad on the PS4 version

Weapons don't level, the level is just a quality indicator.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
DOUBLE FALSE ALARM THIS AIN'T NATIVE 4K WHO YOU TRYNA FOOL SANDLOT:

Seems to run fine, at least the first level. But the game is supposed to get ridiculous later on/on harder levels so who knows about that.

i7 4770k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce 980

That's very clearly not running at 4k, it's upscaled from 1080p, hence the jaggies/blurriness.

Internal Resolution is locked to 1080p.

Nah. The first screenshot is native 4K. The second isn't. That's the weird part.

This has very clearly unscaled aliasing on it

This has very clearly scaled aliasing

Compare them both downsampled and see the first one has aliasing cleaned out. The second doesn't.

Edit: Looks like the rest of the thread already figured this out. Glad to see it has downsampling!

Decrease lag.

Does lag really matters on a co-op game? I mean, as long is playable.

I can play PvP on DSIII with fellow gaffers with decent lag, I can't see why I can't do the same on this game which requires not as low ping to be playable.

And I can feel most people would accept their 300 ping co-op experience than rather not being able to play with anyone....

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Is there LAN coop? (to bypass the region-lock, not buying if I can't)

Well according to some folks they've been able to create rooms and be able to play with friends from other countries so I'm not sure if there actually is any region locking tbh. I could be wrong though. No LAN option anyway.

It only sucks for people who stick with the walking fortress instead of dropping a Proteus. That thing has enough firepower to kill the kaijus (and obliterate any ants with its 30x homing missiles). Though it tends to get knocked around by the walking forts since it's only knee high for them.

Wing Diver 4 Life.

Any AMD users having problems? I'm seeing a lot of stuff in the discussions about AMD CPUs and GPUs being wacked (Thanks Japan)

Can anyone confirm? I have FX 8320 and R9 380

me0wish

I was having problems with the online, you can easily change your region by modifying the region in steam settings download section. If you are trying to play with your friends, you can invite them over using the arrow keys.

Top Bottom