• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
RobertaCBS5 Roberta Gonzales
Tsunami Watch for Caifornia coast. Higher waves expected in San Francisco Bay Area near 7:46 PST. That's 10 hours after 8.8 Japan 'quake.

The hell. I don't want to go to sleep if that's the case

Goddamn massive fuck WHAT?! 8.9?!! You stay safe my Japanese brethren. To all those that lost their lives, my deepest condolences to their loved ones.

Lionel Mandrake said:
That guy actually lives in Japan. But yeah, I thought it seemed kind of distasteful too.
Yeah, but it does feel somewhat odd if you've watched them (granted I'm talking about my own experiences I don't know what this guy said), so I can understand the comparision.

Thankfully I just heard from my sister in law, still good, no tsunami threat where she is.

Does anyone have a feed for NHK English?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
OVxfs.png

KSsNw.png

eso76

just heard on the radio that north and south america will have their share of waves from this soon-ish, no idea how reliable though

ezekial45

Banned
Wario64 said:
RobertaCBS5 Roberta Gonzales
Tsunami Watch for Caifornia coast. Higher waves expected in San Francisco Bay Area near 7:46 PST. That's 10 hours after 8.8 Japan 'quake.

The hell. I don't want to go to sleep if that's the case

Fuck...

Someone just tweeted to CNN their grandfather was a tsunami victim. So horrible, and probably one of the many that will come as a result of this.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
los angeles is supposedly ready for any incoming waves..anyone by westchester, santa monica or close to LAX/coast..be safe

not sure if posted, but two days ago there was a 7.2 quake in virtually the same area:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2011/usb0001r57/
The 03/09/2011 earthquake near the east coast of Honshu, Japan, occurred as a result of thrust faulting on or near the subduction zone interface plate boundary between the Pacific and North America plates. At the latitude of this earthquake, the Pacific plate moves approximately westwards with respect to the North America plate at a velocity of 83 mm/yr.

and here's the summary of today's quake:

The 03/11/2011 earthquake (preliminary magnitude 8.9) near the east coast of Honshu, Japan, occurred as a result of thrust faulting on or near the subduction zone interface plate boundary between the Pacific and North America plates. At the latitude of this earthquake, the Pacific plate moves approximately westwards with respect to the North America plate at a velocity of 83 mm/yr.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2011/usc0001xgp/#details

Garcia

That tsunami is a fucking monster. I feel so anxious watching the ocean take entire farms, houses and cars away... People dying right in fron of our eyes.

Stay strong Japan. Damn....

jman2050

This is insane. To think that even after going to so many measures to prevent a disaster like this that somehow it just isn't enough.

Sometimes you're just at the mercy of nature.

Terrible footage...seeing that wave sweeping all that debris along with it is unreal.

and...

I live literally a block from the beach in Santa Monica...should I be worried?

Fuck.

Snake

I'm in San Francisco right now (technically Daly City). Right on the coast.

I'm checking all the news sources I can, but I'm not seeing anything about our side of the Pacific.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This CNN woman omg

"those people in their windows, desperate to get in contact with loved ones" wtf how about desperate to survive?

Fuck man it's making me angry

Blablurn

holy shit, this is really bad. take care of yourself, japan GAF!!!! damn it, i just see the live feed on CCTV News. terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom