• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Banned
UFRA said:
Foreshocks could be just as strong as aftershocks from what I've read.

According to the Japan quake map someone posted above, there were 3 foreshocks prior to the 9.0M mainshock. They were 5.2, 4.7, and 4.9.

Yeah but these are probably farily recent in the area. I mean logically, massive earthquakes happen because energy has built up a fucking lot and is suddenly released. So if there's fairly strong and frequent earthquakes, that should prevent this. Well, I guess.

The Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan released a preliminary calculation Monday saying that the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant had been releasing up to 10,000 terabecquerels of radioactive materials per hour at some point after a massive quake and tsunami hit northeastern Japan on March 11.

Bolded the important bits. They are most likely referring to the highest recorded spike in an attempt to sensationalize.
Other reported numbers have been nowhere near this high.

In any case, it's all "old news". Everything is back to normal at the plant following the most recent quake.

Last I heard, they are working on rerouting some of that 'spent' cooling water to their scrubbers (instead of just running off like it has been). This is good news not only for the environment, but the fact that they are focusing on this indicates that they do not have any larger looming threats at this time.

jcm

FlashFlooder said:
Bolded the important bits. They are most likely referring to the highest recorded spike in an attempt to sensationalize.
Other reported numbers have been nowhere near this high.

In any case, it's all "old news". Everything is back to normal at the plant following the most recent quake.

Last I heard, they are working on rerouting some of that 'spent' cooling water to their scrubbers (instead of just running off like it has been). This is good news not only for the environment, but the fact that they are focusing on this indicates that they do not have any larger looming threats at this time.
No, you didn't bold the important bits.

Haruki Madarame, chairman of the [Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan], which is a government panel, said it has estimated that the release of 10,000 terabecquerels of radioactive materials per hour continued for several hours.

If the story is accurate it's a big deal. Claiming it's old news is kind of silly, considering they're finding levels of Cs-137 of 590,000 and 2.19 million becquerels per cubic meter outside of the 30km evacuation zone.

And if you consider the situation at the plant to be "back to normal" you have a very different defintion of normal than I do.

jcm said:
Haruki Madarame, chairman of the [Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan], which is a government panel, said it has estimated that the release of 10,000 terabecquerels of radioactive materials per hour continued for several hours.
When was this said? if it was any conference, wouldn't it have been part of the iaea's report? If it was said publicly, why isnt it being reported by more sources (like any)?

jcm

Jack Random said:
When was this said? if it was any conference, wouldn't it have been part of the iaea's report? If it was said publicly, why isnt it being reported by more sources (like any)?

According to NHK, they are announcing it in a news conference Tuesday morning:

The Japanese government's nuclear safety agency has decided to raise the crisis level of the Fukushima Daiichi power plant accident from 5 to 7, the worst on the international scale.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency made the decision on Monday. It says the damaged facilities have been releasing a massive amount of radioactive substances, which are posing a threat to human health and the environment over a wide area.

Shirokun

Here's another perspective of the tsunami in Minami Sanriku put up yesterday. Really shocking. I'm pretty sure it shows a couple people being swept away to their deaths at the end, so just a warning.

Aruarian Reflection said:
Yet another big earthquake to wake up Japan. 6.3 apparently

Woah, Tokyo subways have stopped.

All train lines stop after any slight tremor. They gotta send out rail crews to make sure none of the tracks got misaligned. Pretty common stuff but it really sucks it happened during the morning commute.

My cell phone alerted me to this quake about 5 seconds before it hit this morning. I wonder why my phone never alerted me yesterday to the much bigger one around 4. My warnings are so inconsistent.

jcm

Shirokun said:
Here's another perspective of the tsunami in Minami Sanriku put up yesterday. Really shocking. I'm pretty sure it shows a couple people being swept away to their deaths at the end, so just a warning.

Jesus. I've seen a lot of tsunami video, and that's the most horrifying by a lot. Those poor people. What an awful, awful thing.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Shouta said:
Man, so many quakes. I haven't felt one here since last night though, thankfully.

Fukushima has like a 4 every 20 mins

Shirokun said:

What the fuck at those people just meandering towards higher ground with water and debris lapping at their heels and then that one woman dragging a bag of stuff out of the water and the poor man going to her aid risking his life.

That video just made me angry.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Shirokun said:
That's gotta be the most horrifying video of the tsunami that I've seen yet. The stuff of nightmares.

Shirokun

Garcia said:
I still see no official reports of moving from Level 5 to 7 on IAEA's site.

They just had an official talking about it on NHK. I couldn't make out too much before he got cut off due to the earthquake alert.

SimleuqiR

Shirokun said:

WOW Just WOW!...Yes at the very end, I think there was a lady that got pinned down by the water.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/12/world/asia/12japan.html?hp
Japan’s current assessment of the accident puts it at level 5 on the scale, the same level as the Three Mile Island accident in the United States in 1979. The level 7 assessment has been applied only to the disaster at Chernobyl in the former Soviet Union.

The scale, which was developed by the International Atomic Energy Agency and countries that use nuclear energy, requires that the nuclear agency of the country where the accident occurs calculate a rating based on complicated criteria.

Japan’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said at a news conference Tuesday morning that the rating resulted from new estimates by Japan’s Nuclear Safety Commission that suggest some 10,000 terabecquerels of radiation per hour was released from the plant into the environment for several hours in the aftermath of the March 11 earthquake and tsunami. (The measurement refers to how much radioactive material was emitted, not the dose absorbed by living things. )

The scale of the radiation leak has since dropped to under 1 terabecquerel per hour, the Kyodo news agency said, citing the commission. Commission officials in Tokyo said they could not immediately comment.

Michael Friedlander, a former senior nuclear power plant operator for 13 years in the United States, said that the biggest surprise in the Japanese reassessment was that it took a month for public confirmation that so much radiation had been released.

Some in the nuclear industry have been saying for weeks that the nuclear accident released large amounts of radiation, but Japanese officials had consistently played down this possibility.

The announcement came as Japan is preparing to urge more residents around a crippled nuclear power plant to evacuate, because of concerns over long-term exposure to radiation.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
VelvetMouth said:
What the fuck at those people just meandering towards higher ground with water and debris lapping at their heels and then that one woman dragging a bag of stuff out of the water and the poor man going to her aid risking his life.

That video just made me angry.

It was pointed out to me that the "bag of stuff" is actually an elder in a wheelchair. I didn't see it at first either. And the guy in black who ran to help the guy in red was trying to help another wheelchair bound person. I don't think either the guy in black or the 2nd wheelchair person made it.

oneHeero

Shirokun said:
I never ever thought that the water would reach the camera man. Wtf!!!!

Amir0x

Banned
theignoramus said:

This article has changed, because Japan Nuclear Crisis has just upped it to a level 7.

TOKYO — Japan has decided to raise its assessment of the accident at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant from 5 to the worst rating of 7 on an international scale, putting the disaster on par with the 1986 Chernobyl meltdown, the Japanese nuclear regulatory agency said on Tuesday.

According to the International Nuclear Event Scale, a level 7 nuclear accident involves “widespread health and environmental effects” and the “external release of a significant fraction of the reactor core inventory.”

Japan’s previous assessment of the accident puts it at level 5 on the scale, the same level as the Three Mile Island accident in the United States in 1979. The level 7 assessment has been applied only to the disaster at Chernobyl in the former Soviet Union.

Alternative AP Link: Nuclear Crisis to Level 7

luoapp

Aruarian Reflection said:
It was pointed out to me that the "bag of stuff" is actually an elder in a wheelchair. I didn't see it at first either. And the guy in black who ran to help the guy in red was trying to help another wheelchair bound person. I don't think either the guy in black or the 2nd wheelchair person made it.

I think the man in black still had chance to save himself. ( I hope!)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I wonder how much of the radiation will go around the world.

ameratsu

Shirokun said:

Incredible video. From all the tsunami videos I've watched, it still amazes me how fast coastal areas become inundated. Those poor people at the end :(

hteng

Banned
shit man, it's like they are delayin the inevitable shitstorm. So how much longer are they going to be cooling the reactors? 1month? 2months? a year?

Shirokun said:

Terrible........just terrible.

RIP to all those who died.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Wait, i thought they had controlled the nuke plant? So are we saying now the worst has happened and everything is fucked? I dont get it, news hasnt been harping on this lately.

I love how the Japanese government went from the story of "very low risk" and "minimal effect" to Chernobyl levels.

Someone has to hold them accountable for their lies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
well crap :(

This will certainly dull Nuclear enthusiasm for a long time.

Oh well, let's start pushing Thorium.

Hear that Obama? You have my vote and another donation if you start pushing for Thorium.

pestul

Yeah, unfortunately that means a shitload of radiation has gotten out into the environment. The nuclear industry is fucked financially due to this.

AVclub

Tricky I Shadow said:
Terrible........just terrible.

RIP to all those who died.
I'm trying to console myself by imagining that most of the people in that city were on the hill with the cameraman, but the logic in my brain won't allow it. This is the saddest thing I've ever seen...and I was at ground zero on 9/11.

luoapp

TekkenMaster said:
I love how the Japanese government went from the story of "very low risk" and "minimal effect" to Chernobyl levels.

It's still very low effect compared to "Chernobyl level", which by itself is a too broad term - it's the maximum level of INES, and basically says whatever bigger that level 6.

pestul

TekkenMaster said:

I think the Japanese government has been pretty forward about the assessments with the PM even saying the situation is grave. The IAEA and Tepco are the ones who have been saying that everything is fine and under control (damage control).

Blackace

TekkenMaster said:

I never heard the Japanese Government say that Fukushima was a very low risk. Also the lasting damage of this will be Chernobyl levels but what exactly does that mean it is hard say..

qcf x2

TekkenMaster said:

I mean, the nuclear physicists here were wrong too. Anyway, first priority should be to fix the problem, then the blame game can happen.

2012 :(

threenote

Banned
I have no idea what to think right now. This is just terrible--I'm not sure if CNN was being sensationalist (probably were), but they said this nuclear disaster could be as devastating as Chernobyl. Any truth to this?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
threenote said:
I have no idea what to think right now. This is just devastating--I'm not sure if CNN was being sensationalist (probably were), but they said this nuclear disaster could be as devastating as Chernobyl. Any truth to this?

I don't think anyone knows yet..

It sucks as it was starting to look like things might turn out "OK".
With a strong argument to be made for continuing the tech... now I'm not so sure.

Blackace

threenote said:
I have no idea what to think right now. This is just devastating--I'm not sure if CNN was being sensationalist (probably were), but they said this nuclear disaster could be as devastating as Chernobyl. Any truth to this?

could be sure.... It's already really bad..

Shouta

threenote said:
I have no idea what to think right now. This is just terrible--I'm not sure if CNN was being sensationalist (probably were), but they said this nuclear disaster could be as devastating as Chernobyl. Any truth to this?

Despite it being the same level as Chernobyl, this is probably nothing even close in terms of damage thus far. Of course, it somehow could get worse but it I highly doubt it considering there's no risk of an explosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom