• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that surprises the hell out of me as I watch the live feeds from OTA tv at my parent in law's house is how bad regular people seem to react to earthquakes here. Nobody in the studio offices or other places that showed interior footage of teh earthquake ducked for cover under any desks or doorways. They just ran around yelling and standing in place or running about the room like idiots.... I was like the only person in my office that ducked under a fucking desk...

iavi

Toki767 said:
1.5 feet? Guess I can get some sleep afterall then. I was really worried for a moment there. Still kind of am seeing as San Francisco is on a fault line too. It's literally like a ticking time bomb.

I'm more concerned about all these random ass quakes people are mentioning, honestly.

InsertNameHere said:
Get some sleep, you've got some time. Wake up and be prepared. Could be nothing, could be a big deal, better safe than sorry.

Being from the UK, my knowledge is severly limited but this seems really sensible. I really hope that everyone is going to be alright.

Glad to hear that Upsidedown Fuji is okay.

The title needs to be changed to 8.8. The .4 might not seem like much of a difference, but the difference is by over .8 of an EJ (exa joule). For those who don't know, exa is 1000^6.

This is depressing.

cdyhybrid

According to Hawaii radio, the latest speculation by the "experts" is a 6 foot wave arriving at the islands at the speed of a plane. Crazy shit.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
WATCH upgraded! Tsunami WARNING for San Francisco Bay. Which means a Tsunami is imminent. The initial surge expected at 8;08am under 3 feet.

plasmasd

I wonder if this earthquake made the earth wobble on its axis like the 2004 9.0 quake.
Not that it would matter, just amazing the amount of energy involved.

AcridMeat

Banned
SleepyJohn11 said:
Being on Oahu now, that's not something I'd like to hear.

But right now it's all the coastal areas in real shit.

My friend is fortunately at 3600ft at the moment, still I can't imagine knowing what's to come there. :(

Vincent Alexander said:
According to one of the seismologists, as long as you are more than 15 miles inland, should be fine.
Crap. I'm only two miles inland on the first floor of my building. Debating whether to try and move as many valuables as possibly to the highest shelves in my place or wake a friend and try to get a few carloads of stuff further inland.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Upsidedown Fuji said:
One thing that surprises the hell out of me as I watch the live feeds from OTA tv at my parent in law's house is how bad regular people seem to react to earthquakes here. Nobody in the studio offices or other places that showed interior footage of teh earthquake ducked for cover under any desks or doorways. They just ran around yelling and standing in place or running about the room like idiots.... I was like the only person in my office that ducked under a fucking desk...
Don't kids grow up doing earthquake drills in Japan? :x Doorways and desks, and all that jazz?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Wario64 said:
From twitter
Tsunami wave at 8:08am at the mouth of San Francisco Bay expected to be 1.5 feet,
Blows my mind that an event like this can span across the Pacific Ocean.

SleepyJohn11 said:
Being on Oahu now, that's not something I'd like to hear.

But right now it's all the coastal areas in real shit.
I hope to see your ass somewhere on here tomorrow when I wake up.
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Crap. I'm only two miles inland on the first floor of my building. Debating whether to try and move as many valuables as possibly to the highest shelves in my place or wake a friend and try to get a few carloads of stuff further inland.
Sounds like it won't be near that bad. The guy was just playing it safe anyways. If the wave really is just 1.5, you should be fine.

JLG-

cdyhybrid said:
According to Hawaii radio, the latest speculation by the "experts" is a 6 foot wave arriving at the islands at the speed of a plane. Crazy shit.
are you serious? damn stay safe Hawaii gaf

Ellis Kim

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Rather than on the highest shelves, I'd suggest putting them in a safety box, preferably water-proof.

sammymoho

Banned
opticalmace said:
The tsunami that would hit the US coast would be a couple of feet at the most... you'll be fine.

dude are you serious? i know gaf likes to pull peoples legs, especially juniors, but now is not the time!!!

cdyhybrid said:
Oh my god... I don't even know what to make of this anymore.

clav

perfectchaos007 said:
CNN still says it was a magnitude 8.9

why thread title downgrade to 8.4?
I believe the Japanese prime minister said 8.4 even though it may not be the correct number.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Megalodactyl said:
Ok, so this is the areas that will be affected? Halp, im in SF!
The default view of that site is at 7 meters increase from present. I think we're mostly safe, what with the current warning at 3 feet.

2Crisis said:
good on Google for putting the info front and center on www.google.com

"Tsunami Alert for New Zealand, the Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Hawaii, and others. Waves expected over the next few hours, caused by 8.9 earthquake in Japan."

oh fuck! waking up to this isn't cool.

stay safe guys

Morn

Banned
1.5 foot or even 3 foot wave isn't that bad.

Hawaii is screwed with the 6 foot wave. But you probably won't even notice a 1.5 or 3 foot wave.

stilgar

tOsHy.png

Wow. There is a ship in that pic o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom