• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthquake in Japan Magnitude 9.0 (Japan ups nuke crisis to lvl7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morn

Banned
sammymoho said:
OK. I am going to take GAFs advice and go far EAST NOW. wish me luck. im hoping the tsunami doesnt swallow me on the way there. I will be listening to the radio vigilantly (if the radio even works in this hell hole) while on the NeoGAF mobile app.

"..."

cdyhybrid said:
http://www.ksskradio.com/main.html

Link for the radio I'm listening to. I was born and raised on Oahu and have tons of family there (currently in Seattle though), so that's why I'm keeping track. Luckily they all live in the middle of the island, far above sea level, so they should be ok. Looks like it could be bad though.

Edit: The height of the wave means almost nothing, although 6 feet is pretty damn significant. It's the ridiculously enormous amounts of water behind the initial wave that causes the destruction.
I wouldn't say I'm in the middle of the island, but I'm far away from the coast where some mountains are nearby.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Does anyone know where can I find out how far inland is considered safe in the SF bay area? I don't want to disturb any of my friends at this hour, but if my apartment is in danger of flooding I want to transport my art and personal possessions.

Sounds like a 1.5 foot wave is expected, up to potentially 3 feet. I assume it won't be nearly that bad inside the actual bay itself.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
sammymoho said:
so i shouldnt be worried? LOOK, I AM REALLY NERVOUS. I already packed all my valubles (diamond bracelet from girlfriend, PS3, laptop, etc.)

One of these is not like the others.

One of these makes me think this post is not serious.

Choc

Banned
The two biggest cruiseliners in the world are right in the path and near the quake zone

queen mary 2 would have been very close to where the quake hit

queen elizabeth

mary 2 is online and semes ok but the elizabeth has lost its live feed, its just off the coast of taiwan

both could be gettin gabsolutely hammered :|

JLG-

Subitai said:
CNBC ticker said there is a nuclear emergency, anyone see more details?
This was posted a while back:
Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant's cooling system not working. Emergency state announced.

besiktas1

I just hope everyone who's effected is ok, I'm just glad Japan is somewhat prepared with a infustructor to prevent an even bigger catostrophy...

Zep

Banned
sammymoho said:
OK. I am going to take GAFs advice and go far EAST NOW. wish me luck. im hoping the tsunami doesnt swallow me on the way there. I will be listening to the radio vigilantly (if the radio even works in this hell hole) while on the NeoGAF mobile app.

lol, while on your gaf mobile app? someone ban this dipshit.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Upsidedown Fuji said:
They do but its mostly a joke. As a matter of fact we just had one at my school campus about a month ago. The kids just pull the cushions off their seats and wrap them on their heads and walk outside single-file to the school filed grounds.

They just forget all their training once the real thing happens... I grew up in southern california so I was drilled to oblivion about what to do... not sure why the people on tv and the ones around me in the office ran about like headless chickens despite their training.

Anyhow forgive me for derailing the thread with my own experience. I just had to get that off my chest.

get it all off your chest, I don't how it feels to go through that, i am lost for words, even though we never met at all and are thousands of miles away. my thoughts are with you,

duk

Banned
sammymoho said:

where are u?

AcridMeat

Banned
sammymoho said:

I hate you.

Mik2121

Upsidedown Fuji said:
They do but its mostly a joke. As a matter of fact we just had one at my school campus about a month ago. The kids just pull the cushions off their seats and wrap them on their heads and walk outside single-file to the school filed grounds.

They just forget all their training once the real thing happens... I grew up in southern california so I was drilled to oblivion about what to do... not sure why the people on tv and the ones around me in the office ran about like headless chickens despite their training.

Anyhow forgive me for derailing the thread with my own experience. I just had to get that off my chest.
Funny enough, they were playing this video right now on TV of the moment the earthquake happened in this school. For a moment all the kids were playing table tennis, then everything starts shaking, the camera moves to some ceiling lights moving like crazy, then pan again to the kids and ALL of them are sitting under the tables. Sounds like they didn't forget their training :p

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
A japanese friend just called, her Family in Yamagata seems to be okay, 6.5 over there, if I understood correctly.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
watching this on aljazeera.

the footage is haunting.

6 meter high tsunami.

damn.

Argyle

Listening to radio from Guam right now and they are saying that no waves have hit Guam or Saipan (yet)...

Warning is still in effect for the next few hours, though...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Last repost. Bed for real now.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/foxtokimekitonight
http://www.justin.tv/hdvideo#/w/952123376/7
http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

I'm going to bed now. Please if someone can screencap some of the recorded images and continue what I am doing I'd appreciate it (and I'm sure people later on will as well).
**edit, some links for me to come back to tomorrow.

nc3Ej.jpg

YdMcI.png

j7Ekj.jpg

4rRmF.jpg

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Real Emergency Alert System warnings are appearing on TV in San Fran

8:08AM local time is when it is expected to hit Golden Gate

ALL WATCHES ON PACIFIC NORTH AMERICAN COASTS UPGRADED TO WARNINGS

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
JohnTinker said:
Real Emergency Alert System warnings are appearing on TV in San Fran

8:08AM local time is when it is expected to hit Golden Gate

ALL WATCHES ON PACIFIC NORTH AMERICAN COASTS UPGRADED TO WARNINGS
I wouldn't worry about any US West Coast waves right now.

Branduil

Ravidrath said:
USGS us 8.9, on the western scale.

Japan's is 8.4, because it's a different scale.

So both are correct.

Could also say "7th largest earthquake in recorded history," if you don't want to be tied to numbers.
Why the heck do they use different scales that are minuscule-ly different?

hitoman

I live on Maui but on the mountain so i'm safe. The scariest part is that because it's in the middle of the night I can't see shit down below so if something bad happens i'll have no idea it's happening.

sammymoho

Banned
Momar said:
OK, I'm in Seattle, I'm not really sure what to expect but...

I'm going up to fill my car on gas. That shit is empty right now and I seriously feel unsafe as a result.

you really shouldnt worry. where in seattle are you?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Morn said:
Six FEET. Big difference.

Aljazeera has just reported 6 meters.

Apparently its the 7th largest earthquake ( not the 5th), ever.

The other 6 happened nowhere near a populated area..

cdyhybrid

Momar said:
OK, I'm in Seattle, I'm not really sure what to expect but...

I'm going up to fill my car on gas. That shit is empty right now and I seriously feel unsafe as a result.

Seattle Times said:
If a tsunami does reach our coast, it should not be higher than a few feet, according to John Vidale, director of the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network, which operates from The University of Washington.

A tsunami of a few feet poses little danger, he said, and, "there certainly wouldn't be any danger in Seattle." The swell would not travel much up the Strait of Juan de Fuca, he said.

Link.

Choc said:
The two biggest cruiseliners in the world are right in the path and near the quake zone

queen mary 2 would have been very close to where the quake hit

queen elizabeth

mary 2 is online and semes ok but the elizabeth has lost its live feed, its just off the coast of taiwan

both could be gettin gabsolutely hammered :|
Boats are generally fine in tsunami conditions, as long as they are in open water, since the wave travels below them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom