• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EastEnders |OT| Get Outta My Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
3kgA8Yy.png

dXoEcBZ.png

EastEnders is a UK soap opera airing on BBC One. The show began airing on 19th February 1985, and tells the story of residents in and around the London Borough of Walford, primarily living on Albert Square. Over the course of its 30 years on air the show has tackled a whole range of storylines; from murders to assisted suicides, fires to car crashes, baby swaps to faked deaths, and even a whole episode dedicated to finding a condom (don't ask).

But above it all, the show is about families, and typically the strong women behind them. While the show is recognisable thanks to the burly Mitchell brothers, or its sinister 'bad boys' like Den Watts and Archie Mitchell, arguably the most notable characters from the show's history have been the female matriarchs, trying to keep their families together while also trying to pull off leopard print and leather mini skirts.

uv8lkVN.png

EastEnders is currently shown on BBC One and BBC One HD on:

- Mondays @ 8 pm
- Tuesdays @ 7.30 pm
- Thurdsays @ 7.30 pm
- Fridays @ 8 pm

Episodes are repeated on BBC Three and available on iPlayer. The Ominbus edition for each week is usually shown at midnight on Fridays, but will cease come April 2015.

wqw2NgI.png

Like most ongoing soap operas there is no definitive place to start watching EastEnders. Unless you have a pressing desire to start from the beginning and go through all 5000+ episodes, your best bet is to just pick a week and give it a go.

No doubt you won't have a clue what these people are all crying and shouting about, but don't be afraid to ask the most benign of questions in this thread if you're feeling lost. Everyone's been there, and learning the labyrinthine back story of all the characters is near impossible so don't worry!

Kox9Oli.png

Current families and characters on the Square include:

mAiJuqK.png

gyOt5Ps.png

7s4dhC0.png

IxUcX5C.png

OWsTU7N.png

BgKRkEm.png

pDsNSMS.png

FpQloM9.png

2tFxvOE.png

hOcdP7C.png

rkDvyVi.png

DASa1hU.png

e0C1HOb.png

N5WU4GK.png

pm63F6q.png

IdEzqWa.png

nQOqiMr.png

damn, i haven't watched Eastenders in a decade.

Did they recast Martin.

lol Sonia.

Does anywhere in the US show it? Hulu has Coranoranation Street.

Why is Dot in jail?

infi

As someone who hasn't watched since the 90s I can't believe some of those characters are still around. Dot, the Mitchells, Beales, Fowlers and Jacksons were all around when I last watched.
Is that Richard Blackwood??? I've not seen anything of him since the paedophile Brass Eye thing.

Why is Dot in jail?

Probably stealing peoples underwear from the laundrette.

Man

Has the intro changed much? Remember this running on TV just when coming home from elementary school in the early nineties.

dalin80

Banned
I haven't watched since the days of Grant Mitchell and his bromance with Nigel. Didn't realise it then but Grant was an awesome character and one of the first main TV stars to play an ex-army chap with what we would now see as PTSD.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Wondered why EE never had an OT, watched it regularly when I was younger, then in recent months come back to it in and really got into the Lucy stuff. It's some good shit.

I hated that actor who played Ben.

that was amazing, what was that kid doing?

Think he put a spoon in boiling hot water, and was then going to put the spoon on the girl. IIRC, his step-mum/dad's partner did it to him.

Is that Richard Blackwood???

Yeah, he just arrived in the Square this week.

Did they recast Martin.

Why is Dot in jail?

1. Yup. With James Alexandrou's blessing.
2. She watched her son Nick take drugs, saw he was having an attack of sorts and didn't phone an ambulance or anything. Technically killed him/allowed him to die, but as ever, it's a little bit more complicated than that.

Has the intro changed much? Remember this running on TV just when coming home from elementary school in the early nineties.

Not really, just updated with real footage of the setting.

Edit: Dead at the devil horns.

Edit 2: Fuck it I'll try and answer most questions.

That milk box for Denny, lol

Looking forward to Monday to see how they handle the live scenes in the pre-recorded stuff now.

Gutted the who killed Lucy storyline is over as it was gripping these past few months but equally looking forward to how they plan to bring back Kathy and how Ian will react to her return.

Volotaire

Is Ben Hardy really leaving the show for good (i.e. a new Peter will come back in a few months/years)?

And what on earth happened to Dean.

Broken Joystick

Is Ben Hardy really leaving the show for good (i.e. a new Peter will come back in a few months/years)?

Friday was his last episode, but whether that meant last as in filmed last, because, technically it was live and therefore there might be episodes later that have already been filmed, or not, who knows.

He's apparently being eyed up for an X-Men role, and with the shape he's in, plus naturally good looking, he might take to film/Hollywood.

He's finished his contract though, so while the possibility that he might come back in a few years is possibly, they'll probably recast/not bother.

I reckon Dean died, but it was kept pretty ambiguous.

Yay!

Absolutely loved the live episode last night - fantastic acting all round.

Pleased that they've gone the way they have tbh, as it provides the basis for a very interesting storyline in the future if necessary.

Demain

Good work with the OT! I hope the next few weeks aren't bland and ignoring what happened this week until the filming catches up with who killed Lucy.

Peter is in the next few episodes but Friday was his last episode to record, so he was given his leaving presents.

We should see him next week where I suspect he leaves with Lauren to go to New Zealand.

Flintty

You ain't my muvvah!

Lol I used to watch EE all the time in the 90's and occasionally watch to see what's going on.

I'd be interested to know what the Americans think as it's so opposite to the typical British stereotype.

GRW810

When was Richard Blackwood's character officially named Vincent? His name seems to have been kept secret officially but I noticed it casually mentioned on Digital Spy the other day, and now here.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Gave up on Eastenders years ago just after Peggy left because it seemed the writers were making silly choices. The baby swapping death bullshit, and ruining Alfie and Cat... ugh.

But watching it last week to prepare for this was entertaining and this live week was fantastic especially the Friday episode.

Why is Lucy there?

She's dead, ya fuckin' mug.

I'll get rid of her soon enough. She's just enough of a current 'thing' that I thought people might wonder who she is.

I really can't think of another character that died and then got to come back a whole year later. Even Den had to hibernate underwater for a few more years.

Nakazato

Does anywhere in the US show it? Hulu has Coranoranation Street.

Dish network 10 a month as a pay per view. 2 hours every Sunday. 4 times a month.

I'd be interested to know what the Americans think as it's so opposite to the typical British stereotype.

I love it. I've watched it since middle school on and off. Been 8 years since I've really watched since I have no way to watch it in america now

No one knows who killed Lucy!
We wrote 100 different endings!
It's a secret for the whole cast!

People who have believed this shite all week are worse than people who think WWE is real.

They have the next 6 weeks of episodes in the can, but none of it deals with that major story. Nope. The whole storyline will be forgotten about now.
Idiots.

Broken Joystick

MikeMyers

Excellent OP dude! Subscribed!

I wish the Nick Cotton storyline lasted longer, and am disappointed with the Lucy killer, but EE has been in top form recently. Looking forward to how they handle Kathe Beale now that she has returned from the dead.

Also, watching some old videos, is it me, or did they used to use more locations? Like the school and stuff.

GRW810

No one knows who killed Lucy!
We wrote 100 different endings!
It's a secret for the whole cast!

People who have believed this shite all week are worse than people who think WWE is real.

They have the next 6 weeks of episodes in the can, but none of it deals with that major story. Nope. The whole storyline will be forgotten about now.
Idiots.
Someone's more miserable than Tamwar...

Broken Joystick

Excellent OP dude! Subscribed!

I wish the Nick Cotton storyline lasted longer, and am disappointed with the Lucy killer, but EE has been in top form recently. Looking forward to how they handle Kathe Beale now that she has returned from the dead.

Also, watching some old videos, is it me, or did they used to use more locations? Like the school and stuff.

They use different stuff every now and then, but I think with the story lines recently, it's either been the Vic or the Beale's house like 90% of the time. Need more launderette in my life.

Also, Gif for future bad opinions
:p
:

zjE7MQ9.gif

MikeMyers

Also, doing some trivia about myself to let fellow EastEndersGAF people know me better:

The first episode I watched is where Sonia gave birth to her kid, which was around 2000? I've been a watcher since, but sometimes I zoned out because the quality varied, but 2014 has been top form and I've been watching steady since. My all-time favorite storyline is the Kat/Zoe one, and Kat is probably my favorite character. I also like Lucy and Lauren, but Lucy has been killed off (for now) and Lauren is on a hiatus. Most interesting storyline for me right now is the Carter one. I see people not liking how much screentime the Carters are getting, but I've been really enjoying them. Oh, and Stan is my favorite Carter.

Proud to have my subtitle used. I've only just recently got back into watching it, after being hooked during the Christmas storyline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom