• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edgar Wright Considering Baby Driver Sequel

Looks like both Sony and Wright are keen on the idea.

Baby’s got back: Edgar Wright says he is mulling over a Baby Driver sequel. Sony, pleased by Baby Driver’s critical acclaim and box office return, is interested in another installment. “The studio have asked me to think about writing a sequel and it is one of the ones that I might do a sequel to because I think there’s somewhere more to go with it in terms of the characters,” Wright told Empire’s podcast. “Baby has got to a new place.”

I adored the film, and agree there's still some room to explore Baby's future. If Wright has the right idea, a sequel would be very welcome.

There's literally nowhere to go. Well, I'm sure Wright could think of something, but I don't really want one.

Hot Fuzz 2 on the other hand? I could dig it.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Honestly, I thought there was too much movie as it is. I'd still buy a ticket for a sequel, but I would rather he just make a new thing.

I think Edgar Wright's creative enough to pull it off, even if the movie seemed pretty self contained. I'd like to see more actors get the Hamm/Foxx treatment, and get a bit unleashed.

zsynqx

Nah.

Loved Baby Driver, his best film since Hot Fuzz, but I'd rather he worked on something new.

Wouldn't say no to another movie that incorporated music like Baby Driver did though. Action synced to music is my new favourite thing.

I really hate the idea of that story continuing.

It was a cool unique film, a followup seems wholly unnecessary. But I'm sure he could prove me wrong.

Anyone who has seen the movie knows that not only is just about every loose end tied up by the end, but it would also be a huge disservice to the character to continue the story. Unless its a hour and a half of him just, I dunno, commuting safely to and from a normal job.

I'm being serious, no sequel. At least not with the same characters. Now a spiritual follow up with the same actors a la Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz? I could dig it.

Dram

So how would the plot for a sequel even work? The only decent way I can think of is if a criminal kidnaps
Baby's girlfriend
and forces him to drive for them.

Arttemis

As others are saying, why?

If he does make a sequel, less awkward dancing interactions that involve singing love songs to parental figures. More driving.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just make it like a sequel to the Crank movies and just increase the insanity. Baby gets robotic ears that let him hear all kinds of shit.

Jofamo

Eh, I'm not one of those people that thinks a sequel in any way ruins the original. Sure, if he genuinely wants to make one, go for it.

I could see Jon Bernthal returning as an antagonist.

Jofamo

Also, if he intends to make a sequel, maybe make some include some better female characters this time. Hell, make Lily James the lead.

He's dead

I've seen the film three times now, and unless I'm missing something obvious, we don't see him again after he steps out of the lift after the opening heist.

Yeah, he said 'If you don't see me again - I'm dead', but unless you see a character die on screen

c'mon

xRaizen

Eh, I'm not one of those people that thinks a sequel in any way ruins the original. Sure, if he genuinely wants to make one, go for it.

I could see Jon Bernthal returning as an antagonist.
Well Bernthal's character did say if we didn't see him he'd be..

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Sony is proud to present The Baby Driver Cinematic Universe® with the return of Jamie Foxx as a Cyborg Clone. Joseph gets his own movie that's a thriller set in the nursing home.

kris.

Banned
I mean I'd 100% be more into a new original film but I'll see literally anything he makes so you do you, brobro.

Regarding Griff, AKA Bernthal's character:

Full spoilers:
Edgar Wright's the kind of writer where you take "If you don't see me again, I'm dead" as gospel. Griff looked at Buddy's girl weirdly in the elevator, and later they mention of the people he's killed as 'the guy that looked at her funny'. 99% that was Griff.

Dram

I've seen the film three times now, and unless I'm missing something obvious, we don't see him again after he steps out of the lift after the opening heist.

Yeah, he said 'If you don't see me again - I'm dead', but unless you see a character die on screen

c'mon

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he
insult Buddy's girlfriend in the film?
If he did that could explain why
people think he's dead, since Buddy mentioned he kills people who insult her.

Jofamo

Definitely Wright's biggest weakness.

I'm a huge, huge fan of Wright's stuff, but it took this film to really open my eyes on how bad it's gotten. It's evident to me now that all the best parts of Jessica Stevenson's character in Spaced were either because of her or Pegg's writing.

Other than Spaced you have;

Shaun of the Dead
Hot Fuzz
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
The World's End

Scott Pilgrim is one of my favourite movies, but it's based on source material so Wright doesn't deserve too much credit for the female representation in that story. I couldn't name any memorable or fleshed out female characters in the other three.

Baby Driver has like 3 (7) female characters.

Debora - The most realised, but still lacking in any kind of agency, and does everything Baby tells her
Baby's Mum - Domestic Abuse victim with no lines (EDIT: I didn't realise that Sky Ferreira actually sang the rendition of 'Easy' on Baby's tape, so that's something)
Darling - Some great lines, but typical sexual appeal character (who used to possibly be a stripper?)
Debora's co-worker - non focus
The Post Office clerk - I'd say this one was fine enough
A Mother with a Baby - no comment
An Old Woman - no comment

So yeah, if there's a sequel I'd like to see him try to tackle this.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Hot Fuzz 2 on the other hand? I could dig it.

What if the Baby Driver sequel and Hot Fuzz 2 are the same film?

O6zJfTN.gif

A-V-B

I really want to see Edgar keep moving on to new material. If he wants to do a sequel I guess that's up to him and the studio, but everything Edgar touches is the bee's knees and I'd hate to see him in one place for long.

Top Bottom