• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edgar Wright Considering Baby Driver Sequel

jayu26

Sony are so thirsty to turn basically anything they can into a franchise

Sony is proud to present The Baby Driver Cinematic Universe® with the return of Jamie Foxx as a Cyborg Clone. Joseph gets his own movie that's a thriller set in the nursing home.

Any studio (including Disney) would have asked Edgar to think of the sequel after the reception Baby Driver has gotten. It just film business 101.

Aeonin

I'd want it to be a trilogy.

Baby Driver
Driving Miss Baby
Drive Baby

Corney as all hell. But id enjoy it.

Tookay

In some ways, a sequel would rectify my problem with the movie's ending, which was all a little too neat and clean for my taste. (Assuming the sequel is Baby's past coming back to haunt him, showing that it isn't so easy for him to escape from it.)

But I would rather see Wright do something else.

I think the movie is fine as-is, but I trust Edgar Wright's judgement. If getting a paycheck is all that mattered, he wouldn't have dropped out of Ant Man. I doubt he'd crank out a sequel to Baby Driver purely for the cash either.

LakeEarth

Another "action/musical" hybrid movie would be great IMO, but I'm not sure making it a direct sequel would be the best plan.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Ugh cool another movie I'll never see that I desperately need in my life. THANKS.

tumblr_nht1tvy9l91thrylno1_500.gif

Edgar Wright should know better than to actually do this.

But, the movie did end with a cliffhanger that I'm not sure most people noticed.
The last car in the movie had a red interior.
Knowing that, read this.

I love watching original movies break out to such success.

Baby Driver is fantastic. I wouldn't change a frame.

I don't need a sequel. Against my better judgment, I would be overjoyed with one, but it's so long as it's not in production, so long as Wright isn't totally committed, I don't want one.

Sony, cut the man a check and let him do another original project.

If that's where Edgar Wright's creative impulse takes him, then that makes it a necessary creation for him. Doesn't mean it'll be good of course. I'd definitely see it.

hydruxo

Loved Baby Driver, but I don't really know how I'd feel about a sequel.

I feel like Wright is getting really caught up in the critical praise for the film and in his excitement thinking he should do a sequel, and I hope that isn't a mistake. He's a smart guy though and I trust whatever he ends up doing will be what he wants to do.

Arkeband

Banned
I actually came away from this thinking a sequel would work, but he's not one to do sequels and the movie had a natural end.

Palmer_v1

Spoilers, obviously. Only loose ends I can think of:

Spacey's family? The savant-nephew and whoever his parents are. Could maybe see some weird revenge plot where that kid is now in his teens.

Jon Bernthal? The guy from the first crew. He has no particular reason to be antagonistic to Baby, but he's a character that could be included easily.

The asian guy's family, maybe? An outsider wouldn't know that Baby had nothing to do with that death. Speaking of...

The other guy that was in the second crew. He could reappear for similar reasons to Bernthal, and would be involved if they went with that asian connecton.

Any amount of prison stuff as well.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Loved Baby Driver, but I don't really know how I'd feel about a sequel.

I feel like Wright is getting really caught up in the critical praise for the film and in his excitement thinking he should do a sequel, and I hope that isn't a mistake. He's a smart guy though and I trust whatever he ends up doing will be what he wants to do.

He's had this idea in his head twenty years.

I guarantee you he had ideas for more films starring Baby before he had any idea this'd make box office bank.

Ominym

Banned

Jon Bernthal? The guy from the first crew. He has no particular reason to be antagonistic to Baby, but he's a character that could be included easily.

My take away from this is that
given the fact he said "If you don't see me again... I'm dead" is that he got whacked.
Total speculation though.

That said, I hope they don't. The movie works best as a one-off.

Theecliff

Banned

it's implied that he's killed by buddy and darling.

Kalor

I really enjoyed the movie but I have no idea where they could. but I'd be interested to see what they do.

Metal-Geo

Yes, because I’d like to see more movies with such lovely synchronisation to the music.

No, because I find the stories of characters in Edgar Wright’s movies always ending with enough told and enough developed. Edgar Wright himself explained it better in one of his interviews.

Chairhome

I'm sure he has entertained the idea already, before Sony approached him.
I remember hearing him say (I think in the Soundtracking podcast for which he was a guest),

Interviewer: "I did hear Ansel say the words, 'when we do the next one...' and it made me really hope there is another one"
Edgar: "well that's up to the audience now, isn't it? So if you want to see a second one, go out and see it"

So I have some faith it's not something he would just cobble out of nothing.

Skeeter49

I'd love a sequel. Edgar Wright hasn't done a sequel to any of his stuff. I'd love to see him explore a movie even further and I think Baby Driver is great for that.

Falchion

Need to see it but by most accounts it's a very good movie so another by Wright wouldn't be a bad thing.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I kinda like that he does a brand new thing each time, but I've loved every single of his films, so there being a 2 next to the title probably won't stop it from being great.

Top Bottom