• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #272 - Far Cry 4 cover story, Bayonetta 2 gets a 10

JPKellams

tumblr_mb7pjn18vY1qffe1lo3_500.gif

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Bayo 2 didn't need this ten or any other ten to justify its brilliance. Playing this game in person is absolutely mesmerizing.

Ooops, wrong thread !

Bayonetta 2 will be amazing. I have the First print edition preodered. And I´ll probably get the Special edition too.

Reedirect

First one also got a 10.

Because people love to bitch about lists here's their top 10 games of the generation:

10 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
7 Super Street Fighter IV
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

List redeemed.

kpaadet

Your reasoning makes no sense since they don't have a stash of magical revenue somewhere to develop the games for a multi-platform audience. Platinum seems to be fully reliant on partnerships to survive. So, I'd rather they make a fucking game for an exclusive for each system than make none at all.

Not many companies have a huge stash of magical revenue sitting in the bank, making different business deals is pretty common for most and it seems to be working for Platnium, in fact they are making alot of games I would say.

So why is my reasoning for this to continue so strange?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
First one also got a 10.

Because people love to bitch about lists here's their top 10 games of the generation:

9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

No Halo 3? Didn't they give it 10?

First one also got a 10.

9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

That... Is a nice list actually.

First one also got a 10.

9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

That's a genuinely good list. Dark Souls being #1 is the most accurate choice ever.

popyea

So happy Bayonetta got a 10. Kind of makes up for the 6 they gave W101. Maybe they're back to consulting with Saur.

Jb

9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

I don't think LBP belongs on that list but otherwise it's a pretty solid one for sure.

First one also got a 10.

9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls
Not a bad list at all. Does a good job of summing up the high notes of the previous generation. My list shares 5 of them. LBP is the only one I feel is really out of place on this list.

I know I'm taking the bait, but why is Dark Souls #1 when it scored 9/10, and a number of 10/10 games are beneath it?!

Indivdual's review versus the collective thoughts of all the editors.

Also, opinions change over time. 'Coming out of their shells' was a 10/10 album for me when I was 11, but it wouldn't rank so highly now.

EBreda

Your reasoning makes no sense since they don't have a stash of magical revenue somewhere to develop the games for a multi-platform audience. Platinum seems to be fully reliant on partnerships to survive. So, I'd rather they make a fucking game for an exclusive for each system than make none at all.

They seem to be doing fine as it is. Partnerships with different console makers. Why change that all of a sudden?

Keep doing what they're doing, that's all I ask. And I own a Wii U as well, that's not the point. I want to play Platinum games on my Xbox and on my Ps4 as well.

Bayonetta was GOTY 2009, but the framerate wasn't even locked 60 on the 360 and there was an absolutely insane amount of screen tearing. So you weren't getting a perfect experience even if you avoided the PS3 version.

Let's hope the Wii U is definitive, even if it can't lock down 60fps, at least getting rid of the screen tearing would be a massive step up.

Not quotes about framerate but....

EDGE said:
....looks even better on Wii U. It's not the increased resolution that strikes you but the vibrancy of it all. Load up the first game, even in revamped form, and you'll be struck by how grainy and washed out it looks and begin to wonder if it's inclusion was intended to show how far Platinum has come.

gugeifer

I'm overhyped and really happy for Bayo2. I loved first game so much and excitement for 2 is too much to take. ITS AWESOME AND IM GOING TO PLAY IT!

The phase of enjoying a really well crafted game?
The phase of enjoying an indeed well crafted game with high production values, great visuals for the time and a very engaging non interactive plot. My post wasn't a comentary on the quality of The LAst of Us, because it's perfectly executed for what it is, it has to do with it's critical apraisal of been a "propeller" for story telling in games. The gameplay is solid but pretty safe and the main reason the game gets its praise is for the tale, yet this is presented in a way that doesn't push interactive story telling in any way.

So im not sure if that deserves greatest of all generation status, i think people will get over the game when something similar but with higher production values and great visuals comes around in this cycle. Super Metroid, Link to the Past, Portal, Half Life 2, etc will forever have a place in the greatest ever lists.
Ugh, now I have to buy a Wii U. Fingers crossed for some sick deals on Black Friday.
Don't do this to yourself and buy the Wii U already. Deals pop up all the time to get the thing for lower than suggested price. It has 3 Platinum games (2 exclusives, the other the best version of Bayonetta probably) and Nintendo exclusives.

You'll be playing Wonderful 101 until Bayo releases. Seriously, i adviced many people to wait on the device for many months and now i can safely say the inversion is justified.

kitzkozan

I don't care either way since I decided to pre-order the game months ago anyway. :p I was just happy to discover that both game will be included in the package. To learn that this sequel is shaping up to be excellent is unsurprising to say the least (not only that, but there's a dearth of action game these days with Capcom & Team ninja struggling, not even speaking of quality). God of War is another series that's on the downward path, especially given the layoffs at Santa Monica (and a franchise which has never been considered on par with the top tier japanese games in the genre from a mechanic standpoint).

Gator86

First one also got a 10.

9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

Reasonable list overall. Dark Souls at #1 though? Get the fuck out of here. Not sure I'd put Red Dead up there either. Most importantly, I need Bioshock in there somewhere.

Reasonable list overall. Dark Souls at #1 though? Get the fuck out of here. Not sure I'd put Red Dead up there either. Most importantly, I need Bioshock in there somewhere.
Easily Bioshock instead of The Last of Us.
Yup, just like Resident Evil 4.

Your opinions are terrible.
RE4 contributions to gaming are more important than The Last of Us ones are. RE 4 is a template were Naughty Dog got a lot of inspiration for the set pieces type of gamplay you saw in Unchared and was the last action game that established the blue print for others to follow. Plus it handle the scorting part of the game a lot better than the Last of Us both in practical and logical senses.

Gator86

Easily Bioshock instead of The Last of Us.

So you're saying Last of Us wasn't one of then ten best games from last gen?

scanners4.gif

On topic, I am excited to dust off my Wii U for Bayo. Already have it neatly tucked into my Gamefly queue. Does Bayo 1 come on the same disc or is it a separate one?

Ridley327

scanners4.gif

On topic, I am excited to dust off my Wii U for Bayo. Already have it neatly tucked into my Gamefly queue. Does Bayo 1 come on the same disc or is it a separate one?

It's a separate disc, so I'm not sure how Gamefly will handle that.

First one also got a 10.

9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls
Wow, surprised at how much i agree with this list. Only change i'd make is take out Little Big Planet and replace it with Bioshock.

Of course the Last of Us is one of the best games of last gen, yet there are others that deserve priority in that list. i do think that people give the game too much credit about what is doing for videogame story telling.

jem0208

First one also got a 10.

9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

My opinion really seems to differ from people in this thread.

I wouldn't put a single one of those in my top ten.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So happy Bayonetta got a 10. Kind of makes up for the 6 they gave W101. Maybe they're back to consulting with Saur.

They really should have given W101 more time. "6" my ass...

Good on Bayonetta 2.

Raven77

So what exactly does Far Cry 4 do differently? Has anything been said by the devs prior to this magazine? Seems exactly like Far Cry 3 to me.

Kezen

Banned
My opinion really seems to differ from people in this thread.

I wouldn't put a single one of those in my top ten.

Neither would I aside from Portal. But every list is subjective anyway.

1) STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl
2) Crysis
3) Bioshock
4) Batman Arkham Asylum
5) Deus Ex Human Revolution
6) Mass Effect
7) Mirror's Edge
8) Alan Wake
9) Portal 2
10) Dead Space

First one also got a 10.

9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

Pretty great list, especially the top 4. I should really play RDR.

That top 10 list is extremely solid. I would remove LBP and Mario Galaxy though. Modern Warfare is debatable, but it was certainly one of the most influential games of the gen.

Top Bottom