• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #272 - Far Cry 4 cover story, Bayonetta 2 gets a 10

Easily Bioshock instead of The Last of Us.

RE4 contributions to gaming are more important than The Last of Us ones are. RE 4 is a template were Naughty Dog got a lot of inspiration for the set pieces type of gamplay you saw in Unchared and was the last action game that established the blue print for others to follow. Plus it handle the scorting part of the game a lot better than the Last of Us both in practical and logical senses.

I totally agree with this. RE4 was revolutionary (or evolutionary) while The Last of Us didn't innovate or offered something new. The Last of Us is a good game, but sorry to say this, it's overrated and it will not pass the test of time unlike RE4.

jem0208

Interesting, what's your proposition?

imageshack-fry.gif

How is that...what? I need your list.

Quick list, probably forgetting something and I'm not sure about the order. Top three are for definite though. Probably my 3 favourite games ever.

10. Fable 2
9. The Walking Dead Season 1
8. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
7. Forza Horizon
6. Halo 4
5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
3. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2. Minecraft
1. Halo 3

danmaku

That list is pretty good, but I think Minecraft should take the place of LBP. They're both focused on user generated content, but Minecraft was far more successful and influential.

Gator86

Quick list, probably forgetting something and I'm not sure about the order. Top three are for definite though. Probably my 3 favourite games ever.

10. Fable 2
7. Forza Horizon
6. Halo 4

2. Minecraft
1. Halo 3

Respect on those.

I think my list with only the top 3 locked in:

1. Last of Us
2. Bioshock
3. Portal
4. Uncharted 2
5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
6. COD 4
7. Dead Space
8. Rock Band
9. Skyrim
10. Mass Effect 2

I'm definitely going to be thinking about this during class today.

Alienous

Ubisoft is taking WAAAAY too long talking about FC4's Multiplayer/Map Editor combo.

FC3's combo fucking SUCKED. It's really no fun Spending a full week making an awesome map only for it to not get any visibility because you can't share the damn thing with anybody.

This is what decides a pre-order from me or not.

Woah there, modest Pete.

lol, that's actually quite impressive. I recognize the areas, despite different assets.

But yeah, I'm just hoping that there will be an improved multiplayer mode. It would make FC4 a very compelling package. Hopefully have maps transfer cross-platform, too.

Raven77

I'm a huge fan of map / track editors, etc. in games.

If you can't share your map with friends, etc. etc. then what the hell is the point? I really hope they add this into FC4.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Very excited to see Bayo 2's score... I think Bayo 1 and Vanquish are absolute masterpieces and some of the best games of last gen, but I just couldn't come to grips with MGR and Wonderful 101. So here's hoping Bayo 2 returns Platinum to absolute greatness in my eyes.

Good top 10, but the list needs less LittleBigPlanet and Cawdoody and more Xenoblade.

10. Fable 2
7. Forza Horizon
6. Halo 4
2. Minecraft
1. Halo 3
Thanks for sharing your list.

Think that Edge picks are a better representation of a best of generation list than your picks. Fable 2 or Walking Deads are the type of picks that lean out to more subjective territory because they connected with you on a personal level. The Halo's well after the master piece the first game was and how the sequel refined the formula im not sure if they deserve to be as GOTG, Halo 4 over Reach is a very daring pick. Same with Oblivion when the previous 2 entries were far more impressive. Forza Horizon is a racing game that doesn't chart any new territroty, deserves a place in best racers of the gen surely.

Never the less, including stuff like Human Revolution and MIne Craft are very asserted. Human Revolution specially since the game doesn't get enough praise (at least not as much as it should).

Personally, i would take Bad Company before Modern Warfare no problems XD

Shogun1337

Hope you are wrong in terms of sales

He isn't wrong, but the problem (mostly) isn't with the Wii U. It's with the fact that games like Bayonetta simply don't sell, to kids, to where the money is (the gorillas that buy CoD, Fifa and Madden every single year), hell not even to Japan (seems they've long given up on console gaming)

jem0208

Thanks for sharing your list.

Think that Edge picks are a better representation of a best of generation list than your picks. Fable 2 or Walking Deads are the type of picks that lean out to more subjective territory because they connected with you on a personal level. The Halo's well after the master piece the first game was and how the sequel refined the formula im not sure if they deserve to be as GOTG, Halo 4 over Reach is a very daring pick. Same with Oblivion when the previous 2 entries were far more impressive. Forza Horizon is a racing game that doesn't chart any new territroty, deserves a place in best racers of the gen surely.

Never the less, including stuff like Human Revolution and MIne Craft are very asserted. Human Revolution specially since the game doesn't get enough praise (at least not as much as it should).

Personally, i would take Bad Company before Modern Warfare no problems XD

Well, these lists are all completely subjective so it's pretty much impossible to have a best representation. You'd also have had to play ever single game to get a proper list. Something I obviously haven't done.

Regarding what you said about the games. Fable 2 probably isn't tenth. It's a game I really enjoyed and I chucked it on there because I couldn't really think of a number 10. With some more thought I'd probably put a different game, possibly GTA V however I had tonnes of problems with that game so maybe not.

Halo 3 is definitely number 1, it's a game I have played many, many hours of and it's by far my favourite of the series. Which is also my favourite series of all time. I actually originally had Reach up there but then I realised that I just find 4 more fun. Regardless of the crap they poured on top. Oblivion on the other hand is possibly due to nostalgia however it's one of my favourite game worlds ever. I have explored for countless hours in that game. Every nook and cranny has something cool, or a little story. I know so much about that world yet each time I delve back in I find something new and interesting. Skyrim was great, however I never really connected with it as much.

I agree Horizon didn't really tread much new ground however it was almost flawless in what it was attempting to do. I also adore just cruising around listening to the music.

I definitely agree HR didn't receive the praise it deserved, however there were some pretty big flaws with the game. The controls were a bit finicky, it could have done with some more polish and the graphics were pretty poor. However overall I felt it was excellent.

legacyzero

Banned
Woah there, modest Pete.

lol, that's actually quite impressive. I recognize the areas, despite different assets.

But yeah, I'm just hoping that there will be an improved multiplayer mode. It would make FC4 a very compelling package. Hopefully have maps transfer cross-platform, too.

I love making maps. My MGS4 Shadow Moses map on Far Cry 2 took A LOT of work, and referencing MGS4 the whole time for accuracy. It got a SHIT TON of downloads (I think over 1000) on Xbox 360. It didn't play as well as I wanted to primarily because it was very linear, and tug-o-war-ish. Great for Capture the Diamond, though.

This was my complaint with Far Cry 3 and it's multiplayer lobby system. I broke map sharing horribly, so awesome maps that people made couldn't bubble to the top.

XD

That introductory sequence in Human Revolution was so well done, one of the best along side Bioshock. What Bioshock did with the opening is Smithsonian type of human patrimonial for arts and media. Seems that the Edge crew memories were a bit hazy.

Lernaean

Banned
It already sold half of what Bayonetta 1 sold on Xbox 360 in Japan :(

Edit: Talking about launch week sales.

That doesn't say much. We are talking about different usebases anyway, and even then, if this is an indication that it might sell half of Bayo 1's units, then that's actually good news.
Also, i'm pretty sure that the majority of PGs fanbase is actually in the west. I think we'll have to wait a month to see Bayo 2's launch numbers.

First one also got a 10.

Because people love to bitch about lists here's their top 10 games of the generation:

10 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
7 Super Street Fighter IV
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls
Good list, no my personal pics, but good choices.

Wildean

Great to see Bayonetta 2's score. I was actually a bit disappointed by W101 so hope this is classic Platinum.

With regards their list, Mario Galaxy 2 is better than 1. A lot of lists go with counting them as one, "both need to be there" type approaches, but I played them back-to-back, and later revisited them in reverse order, and I just couldn't get back into 1 after 2 - the sequel is just so good.

Playing Demon's Souls at the minute, after a failed attempt to get into Dark - reserving judgment until I'm finished but thus far as good as I've always heard, so interesting that DS always makes these lists but not Demon's.

I feel like I am the only one who clicked this thread because I went "huh, more farcry 4 info"

Bayo 2 still the only game that makes me want a wiiU

Did it really?
Sadly it did. Sold even less than the 360 version when the Wii U has a bigger install base than Xbox at this stage.

My advice would be to pick the game at it's release to help it as much as we can, seen Bayo been a bargain bin queen like it happened to Wonderful 101 would be an injustice.

Lernaean

Banned
I don't see why it wouldn't. Wii U exclusive action game, just like W101. Doesn't really matter if its great when nobody is buying a system for it.

Well it is depressing when good games don't sell platforms while powerfull playforms can sell any game. Brand loyalty is the cancer of our hobby.

sjay1994

I don't see why it wouldn't. Wii U exclusive action game, just like W101. Doesn't really matter if its great when nobody is buying a system for it.

Sadly it did. Sold even less than the 360 version when the Wii U has a bigger install base than Xbox at this stage.

My advice would be to pick the game at it's release to help it as much as we can, seen Bayo been a bargain bin queen like it happened to Wonderful 101 would be an injustice.

Well thats depressing. Fuck it. I will buy a copy of the game day 1 and a wii U later.

yurinka

First one also got a 10.

Because people love to bitch about lists here's their top 10 games of the generation:

10 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
9 LittleBigPlanet
8 Bayonetta
7 Super Street Fighter IV
6 Red Dead Redemption
5 Grand Theft Auto V
4 Portal
3 The Last of Us
2 Super Mario Galaxy
1 Dark Souls

Didn't play CoD4 but well deserved 10/10 for the others. Even in the case if Bayonetta 2 is just more of the same, I'm pretty sure it will deserve it.

sjay1994

Well it is depressing when good games don't sell platforms while powerfull playforms can sell any game. Brand loyalty is the cancer of our hobby.

I can't entirely say that is true. A lot of PS3's were sold due to the response the last of us got. Maybe when more reviews come out, more people will be interested in Bayo. All of edges 10/10 games usually have 90+ metacritics.

It should be able to capture interest from people.

Lernaean

Banned
Well thats depressing. Fuck it. I will buy a copy of the game day 1 and a wii U later.

I would urge everyone to do that. Everyone who cares for the game that is. I already know people without WiiU's having the game on preorder. It is all about supporting a hard working and unique developer.

I'm sure Bayonetta 2 will be great, but Edge is one of the most inconsistent reviewers I've found. People like to praise them because they aren't afraid to give out low scores, but from what I've seen they seem to be one of the most inconsistent reviewers out there. You never know if they will give a game a 5 or a 10.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
My copy didn't arrive yet but the Bayonetta 2 review and the Binary Domain: Time Extend should both be a good read.

I'm sure Bayonetta 2 will be great, but Edge is one of the most inconsistent reviewers I've found. People like to praise them because they aren't afraid to give out low scores, but from what I've seen they seem to be one of the most inconsistent reviewers out there. You never know if they will give a game a 5 or a 10.
How are reviews being unpredictable a bad thing?

Lernaean

Banned
I can't entirely say that is true. A lot of PS3's were sold due to the response the last of us got. Maybe when more reviews come out, more people will be interested in Bayo. All of edges 10/10 games usually have 90+ metacritics.

It should be able to capture interest from people.

Oh, that's certainly truth, but you can't deny that a lot of mediocre games have great sales just because they are on a very popular platform.

I think I found a pattern, though. It's mostly based on observation, but this is what I think:

If a reviewer likes a game, it will get a high score. If they don't like a game, it will get a low score.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It's almost like they have differing opinions and shit.

imae

Bayonetta 2 [10]

ibuE318IgvUh9Q.gif

EDGE have a pretty good list of 10's:
http://www.edge-online.com/features/edge-tens-the-greatest-videogames-of-the-last-twenty-years/
and http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-ten-amendments-we-crown-seven-games-from-the-last-20-years-of-edge-with-a-retrospective-10/ (games that didn't originally score 10, but later amended with a 10 score)

Too bad Bayonetta 2 bombed in Japan...

It is a shame, but doesn't change how good the game is.
Sales don't correlate well with Quality, unfortunately. It's not only the games industry that suffers from this problem.
Even if initial sales are low, I feel it could still sustain a consistent sell through rate and maybe do 'OK' in the end with all territories considered, and respective of the platform install base.

Top Bottom