• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #305/May - Rime (Also Persona 5 review)

It's reasonable if you think a game can't get a 9 or 10 without being groundbreaking and massively innovative. But I don't agree with that kind of metric. For instance, I'd probably give Yakuza 0 a 9 or 10 for all the things it does so pitch-perfectly, even though you could certainly levy the claim that Yakuza is formulaic. (note: I don't really care about scores, look forward to reading the actual review)

I think that's one of those things that is really going to be subjective at the end of the day, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is one of the main points of contention regarding the game compared to other entries.

It's a double-edged sword really. It's been so long since 3 and 4 that some may welcome the sense of familiarity, as refined as it is. But at the same time I think it's completely fine if the "it's great, but I've seen it before" aspect isn't your cup of tea. I'm not thinking every single game in a series has to reinvent the wheel in order to be a great game at all, not by any means. But I think it's completely understandable for someone to have reservations on that front. Like, I'm not even talking about purely from the gameplay side of things. Something like ditching the school setting and/or featuring a mature cast (something Eternal Punishment actually tried, but they went back on) could be a great potential avenue for taking the storytelling and character development new places. That's what it is really. About looking at a foundation and examining how it has the potential to go in totally foreign territory while remaining true to itself. I had zero problem with the Zelda formula, for example, but I'm totally blown away by how BOTW manifests itself as part of the series. That all probably comes down to my own personal taste and how I love when games take risks that pay off in ways I'd never expect, and I totally get how the "one more rodeo" angle can be equally appealing.

Maybe that's the kind of thing you should leave for Persona 6 though. It makes me wonder where the series will go from here. If they'll keep going with the school setting or try a totally different direction.

Is it? Who wrote each? (Having trouble finding it.)

There are quite a few headlines stating: "EDGE Reviews Persona 5, scores it lower than Persona 4 Golden" though.
This doesn’t necessarily mean much in the grand scheme of things since both games were reviewed by different person.

Read more at: http://gearnuke.com/persona-5-reviewed-edge-magazine-scores-lower-persona-4-golden/
http://gearnuke.com/persona-5-reviewed-edge-magazine-scores-lower-persona-4-golden/

PK Gaming

In Persona 5's case, It's following up on a 93/100 Metacritic game that Edge itself gave a 9.

It's natural for people to be confused, IMO.

I disagree. Edge didn't give P4G a 9, a specific reviewer did. And they could have gotten a different person to do P5. Or heck, even if that same reviewer did P5, they weren't obligated to give P5 a 9.

I don't think Persona 5 needs to match P4G. It's coming out in a different environment from P4G.

I disagree. Edge didn't give P4G a 9, a specific reviewer did. And they could have gotten a different person to do P5. Or heck, even if that same reviewer did P5, they weren't obligated to give P5 a 9.

I don't think Persona 5 needs to match P4G. It's coming out in a different environment from P4G.

I agree with your points about Edge and the reviewer differences.

I disagree on your second point, however.

Like it or not, for better or worse, many base the success of a sequel on the game/media that came before it - people will be expecting something as good or better than Persona 4 Golden on that basis alone, regardless of what the environment is like.

Spman2099

didn't even know what Night in the Woods was, checking it now

Some of the games that are slipping through the cracks right now will be better than the best games other months will have to offer later this year. Night in the Woods is proof of that.

How the fuck is an 8 a low score? Are people serious when they say that?

I think people are forgetting how games get rated these days. Nothing is going to pull in BotW numbers, no matter what. Unless, that is, it is another Zelda game.

What's so hard to get about it? In my opinion an 8 for either of those games isn't doing them justice(while I sadly can only judge Persona 5 from previews and the common sentiment that it's better than one of my favorite games of all times: P4 Golden). Of course the two were judged harshly for their flaws but no game is perfect anyway, it would be interesting to read the reviews to understand the reasoning of those scores.

Atlus worked almost a decade on this game, put in so much effort and little details, that's not a game you see everyday. I know that the very strong Q1 of 2017 has spoiled gamers and reviewers with a lot of great games, yet Persona 5 is a game that can bravely stand besides even a high caliber like Breath of the Wild, even with the handicap of being a niche title, that not everyone can relate to. This of course also holds true to some extent for Nier Automata.

LMAO

You should just... Stop posting.

Guys: you're given one review too much importance, the game is great, relax, it will get good scores. All impressions are pretty favorable, they have been since the release of the game last September.

Like it or not, many base the success of a sequel on the game/media that came before it - people will be expecting something as good or better than Persona 4 Golden on that basis alone, regardless of what the environment is like.
Idk what it is but I think this 8/10 from Edge, before the release embargo is what has people second guessing this game's quality compared to P4G because there's no other scores around.

I'm 250% confident this game will score very high overall as high as P4G. I personally cannot see why that's not the case and this isn't honeymoon speak, I've had the game for six months now. My PS4 is literally on standby right now fighting the final boss. There's nothing about P4G that I miss and P4G was my favorite game of all time. Plenty of people were saying this 6 months ago.

Goldboy

Agreed. I think we'd all like it to match P4G, but review scores have been getting lower across the board over the past few years. The two highest rated non-Nintendo games this gen, Uncharted 4 and MGSV, only have MC scores of 93, same as P4G.

Two of this console generation's most beloved games, Bloodborne and The Witcher 3, both sit at 92.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Persona 5 scores in the 90-92 range. Which is still excellent. Again, I'm hoping it scores higher, and it definitely could, but I'm not convinced it'll happen.

ckaneo

A game can be better and still score lower. This is an extreme example but there are plenty of remakes/remasters that are 100% objectively better and still score lower than the original .

PK Gaming

A game can be better and still score lower. This is an extreme example but there are plenty of remakes/remasters that are 100% objectively better and still score lower than the original .

Besides, Metacritic scores aren't the end all be all when it comes to determining game quality.

Lynx_7

I think people are forgetting how games get rated these days. Nothing is going to pull in BotW numbers, no matter what. Unless, that is, it is another Zelda game.

RDR 2 and Mario Odyssey can. Perhaps not 97, but they have a pretty good shot at 95-96. Even 97 isn't completely out of the table if Odyssey manages to equal the Galaxy duology and RDR 2 improves on GTA V.
Still, I think BOTW inflated some people's expectations. 90-92 for P5 would be a tremendous result already.

Agreed. I think we'd all like it to match P4G, but review scores have been getting lower across the board over the past few years.

Definitely not saying this is fake, but I'm interested in your source for this. The two highest rated non-Nintendo games this gen, Uncharted 4 and MGSV, only have MC scores of 93, same as P4G.

Two of this console generation's most beloved games, Bloodborne and The Witcher 3, both sit at 92.

Unfortunately, like I've stated, people will compare it to its predecessor regardless. It's just what happens with sequels.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Persona 5 scores in the 90-92 range. Which is still excellent. Again, I'm hoping it scores higher, and it definitely could, but I'm not convinced it'll happen.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

True enough, but often that's due to different console generations, time, and - as you've stated - remasters that objectively improve on the original.

Regardless, if Persona 5 ends up with a Metacritic score lower than P4G, there will be people unimpressed, disappointed, saddened, and turned off by that. If it receives a score exactly the same, many of those people will suddenly be fine with it. If it receives a score of 94 or better, some will expect it, while some will be very happy about it.

Much like a remaster isn't scored exactly like the "The Original, but better" - a sequel is also held to different qualifications, especially in the case of non-connected, numbered entries.

It will always be compared to the last.

LordPusha

Well people are dumb and they need a score in front of a review. The score system is retarded and makes no sense whatsoever, on what basis are the scores even given for these games ?! Fuck all these "respectable and totally not backwards "publications who still give scores instead of putting the review in front and then suggesting if the game is worth playing or not.

Thank god that at least Eurogamer and Kotaku have dropped down the scores.

People need to stop tearing themselves up over a single subjective review.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands [4]

Ahahaha, wow, that's harsh. It's uninspired but it's not exactly a terribly made game. I wonder what could've caused this low score.

Maxinas

If people are this salty about a 8/10 score, i can't wait to see the rage when the inevitable 5-6/10 review comes on by.

I was going to say that, hahaha.

Granted, it'll be much less of an issue with Persona 5. The main issue will be the reactions for scores lower than 9/P4G.
Persona 5 will have more reviews than P4G since it's not a re-release and it's on PS4 instead of Vita, so it's almost assuredly going to review lower than P4G. Doesn't make the game lower quality, just means more eyes are on it, and fresh takes on the series.

Persona 5 will have more reviews than P4G since it's not a re-release and it's on PS4 instead of Vita, so it's almost assuredly going to review lower than P4G. Doesn't make the game lower quality, just means more eyes are on it, and fresh takes on the series.

True enough, it's definitely a catch 22.

If it can match or outdo P4G with the same number of reviews, it'll be a successful sequel in my opinion. Once it's past that number of reviews, however, it'll be in its own category.

I can see people forgiving a point or so difference if it has many more reviews than P4G. Especially since many will come from reviewers that wouldn't have played a Persona game if it wasn't this big and on PS4.

MTC100

Banned

Hearing the term "masterpiece" again so soon is music to my ears, the last time it was used so commonly we got a revolutionary open world game, it's about time for a "classic" JRPG to reach those limits.

How can you tell from marketing material how good a game is?

You can't, however I am quite certain as well that it deserves a higher score, when everyone and their mother that played P4G states clearly that P5 is even better and P4G was. The game was already close to perfection and the main thing people criticized was the dungeon design and gameplay, which Atlus revamped completely with P5.

I'm glad we have a 10 now in the mix, when meta adds the Edge Reviews it will already be a 90 and I think it will only go up from here :D

How the fuck is an 8 a low score? Are people serious when they say that?

You will understand, once meta hits the 93-95 range. It will be quite low compared to the overall score, having an 8 being low or bad speaks volumes for the quality of the game itself ;)

LMAO

You should just... Stop posting.

Thanks for your opinion and very elaborate posting ;)

Squire

Banned

Like it or not, for better or worse, many base the success of a sequel on the game/media that came before it - people will be expecting something as good or better than Persona 4 Golden on that basis alone, regardless of what the environment is like.

Then that's rather close-minded on their part. I'm not trying to be rude, but people ignore the context in which a work of art releases at their own fault.

LordKano

I think a lot of you are underestimating how niche Persona is. There will be a bunch of 7s and maybe 6 in the lot, no matter how great the game is, because of a lot of Persona mechanics that won't please the common western gamer.

Squire

Banned
I think a lot of you are underestimating how niche Persona is. There will be a bunch of 7s and maybe 6 in the lot, no matter how great the game is, because of a lot of Persona mechanics that won't please the common western gamer.

This isn't being reviewed by common western gamers, it's being reviewed by a generally young press, with decently varied taste and a good will for Persona that's been bubbling ever since P4G came out in the west.

You're not going to see a lot of 7s or 6s. I've played the game myself, too.

Anoxida

True enough, it's definitely a catch 22.

If it can match or outdo P4G with the same number of reviews, it'll be a successful sequel in my opinion. Once it's past that number of reviews, however, it'll be in its own category.

I can see people forgiving a point or so difference if it has many more reviews than P4G. Especially since many will come from reviewers that wouldn't have played a Persona game if it wasn't this big and on PS4.

Who are these people you keep talking about? Die hard fans? Wouldnt they know scores are lower in general these days? Casual fans? Do they care? Sounds to me like you're the one who's going to be massively dissapointed if it scores lower than p4g.

Well tough shit it most likely will score lower. Different climate, bigger number of reviews and lack of innovations will do that.
I mean, we need to realize that there's been three 100+ hr games over a span of many years and the only major innovation is handcrafted dungeons. There's gonna be docked points for that reason for sure.

LordKano

P4Golden didn't have 6s or 7s though. -But it was also not reviewed by Jim Sterling, so I give you that.

I'd say that, because of it being a handled game, the pacing was given a pass. That's the major thing I expect reviews to freak about.

This isn't being reviewed by common western gamers, it's being reviewed by a generally young press, with decently varied taste and a good will for Persona that's been bubbling ever since P4G came out in the west.

You're not going to see a lot of 7s or 6s. I've played the game myself, too.

I haven't played the game yet, so maybe what I'm thinking about is handled differently, but if it's anything like Persona 3 or 4, the pacing will definitely be one of the game's major problem. It's okay when you play it portably, but on the big screen, having to blaze through 5-10 hours of dungeons before you are allowed to see the next story event, is definitely something harder to stomach. Mind you, I have no problem with that, but I'm a JRPG veteran and used to that.

Also, the fact that it is a PS3 game on PS4 may play a small role too.

LotusHD

Banned
I'd say that, because of it being a handled game, the pacing was given a pass. That's the major thing I expect reviews to freak about.

I haven't played the game yet, so maybe what I'm thinking about is handled differently, but if it's anything like Persona 3 or 4, the pacing will definitely be one of the game's major problem. It's okay when you play it portably, but on the big screen, having to blaze through 5-10 hours of dungeons before you are allowed to see the next story event, is definitely something harder to stomach. Mind you, I have no problem with that, but I'm a JRPG veteran and used to that.

I won't be surprised if that is an issue. A game like this being portable would certainly make it more "digestible" imo. Even if I end up loving it, it'll be on my mind nonetheless.

Squire

Banned

I think enthusiasts make a bigger issue out of portability than critical press ever does, but I haven't played enough of the game to speak the other potential (I guess?) issues you mention.

Honestly, I just get a general sense of defeatism in terms of how fans of these games expect them to review; This everlasting fear that critics don't/won't "get it". I kind of understood it before, but we're experiencing a bit of a rennaisssnce this year for Japanese games and JRPGs in particular. I think this is gonna do really well.

And again, the context really is important. If P4G has a 94, but this has a 92 with 30 more reviews, what's the difference at that point? I'll be honest, I think it's silly to even care about scores and averages this much, but if you're going to do that, you may as well appreciate the mechanics at play and yeah, the actual environment the game is being reviewed in.

Edit: Just to note, Atlus games in general are very long but not typically knocked for pacing in reviews.

MTC100

Banned

Well this is interesting:

Let's look at the 7 P4 on the PS2 got:
"We hope Atlus takes its time to deliver a more compelling and intelligent game with the next Persona, as the series has some remarkable potential. [Jan 2009, p.126]" -GamesTM

The very same publication gave P4G a 9:
"Broadly speaking, this is the same game we've played before on PS2, but the addition of fresh personae and social links, and the sheer range of activities available at any one time did much to dissipate our expected fatigue."

Play UK gave P4 on PS2 a 6.8:
"As a swan song to the PS2 Persona 4 isn't the highest note and all the bizarre characters, storylines and Personas you unlock can't change that. But if you don't mind grinding too much then there is some enjoyment to be had."

They also gave P4G a higher score:
"One of the best RPGs around, with great characterisation, a gripping story and smart combat mechanics that greatly improve on the formula found in past Persona games." 9,4/10

And what were the improvements? Better pacing, a new social link and a few new personae. I don't see a mention about the game being better because it's on a handheld, P4 was a console game to start with and was praised there as well. Perhaps there were different reviewers involved but a "better P4G" what the Consensus seems to be by people who have played both, might result in higher scores than P4G.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Well tough shit it most likely will score lower. Different climate, bigger number of reviews and lack of innovations will do that.
I mean, we need to realize that there's been three 100+ hr games over a span of many years and the only major innovation is handcrafted dungeons. There's gonna be docked points for that reason for sure.

P5's innovations on P4 are miles more than P4's innovations on P3. Yes, the most major innovation is in the dungeons, but the dungeons haven't just gone from being abysmal to being serviceable -- they've gone to being outstanding and are legitimately the best designed dungeons I've played in a JRPG in the last decade at least. The dungeons are also far from a small aspect of the game, so to imply that the overhaul they get makes minimal difference is silly; the game's story revolves around these dungeons, and the story unfolds within them just as much as it does outside them. You're not going to be rushing through them to make it to the next piece of story content, and you're going to be spending a shit tonne of time in them in general, much more than in P3 or P4.
The day-to-day formula is made a lot less blatant in P5 too due to having unique story content on almost every day, and the story pacing never leaves you in a lull like the other games so often did. Despite this being the longest Persona game in the series, it feels far less padded and the pacing of the story is perfect.

Nightbird

This game lost 90% of appeal to me when it lose its exclusivity, it doesn't lose it for nothing.

youre_serious_futurama.gif

If exclusivity plays an important role on whatever you should buy a game or not, you've got questionable tastes.

I'm not even gonna bother with the whole P5 thing.

The Game is most likely to be my GOTY or even GOTG, and that's while assuming that it's as good as P4G.

If someone decides that an 8 is an more appropriate score for the game, then so be it. That's not gonna impact my enjoyment in any way.

13 Days left!

MTC100

Banned
What exclusivity did persona 5 lose exactly? I don't get this post that is quoted on every page of this thread at all. Is it because it's no longer a PS3 exclusive and is also coming to PS4? If anything that would be a big plus instead of a reason to not play the game?

Or did I miss something and P5 is coming to steam? o_O (but then again, why would that be a reason to not play the game?!)

Or perhaps the poster meant it's the first Persona that opens up to the masses by being released on:

a.) a plattform that is in it's prime and not almost dead(like PS2 with P4G) or
b.) a niche Handheld like the Vita.

Squire

Banned
Well this is interesting:

Let's look at the 7 P4 on the PS2 got:
"We hope Atlus takes its time to deliver a more compelling and intelligent game with the next Persona, as the series has some remarkable potential. [Jan 2009, p.126]" -GamesTM

The very same publication gave P4G a 9:
"Broadly speaking, this is the same game we've played before on PS2, but the addition of fresh personae and social links, and the sheer range of activities available at any one time did much to dissipate our expected fatigue."

Play UK gave P4 on PS2 a 6.8:
"As a swan song to the PS2 Persona 4 isn’t the highest note and all the bizarre characters, storylines and Personas you unlock can’t change that. But if you don’t mind grinding too much then there is some enjoyment to be had."

They also gave P4G a higher score:
"One of the best RPGs around, with great characterisation, a gripping story and smart combat mechanics that greatly improve on the formula found in past Persona games." 9,4/10

And what were the improvements? Better pacing, a new social link and a few new personae. I don't see a mention about the game being better because it's on a handheld, P4 was a console game to start with and was praised there as well. Perhaps there were different reviewers involved but a "better P4G" what the Consensus seems to be by people who have played both, might result in higher scores than P4G.

Yeah, the portability thing is really something I just never hear outside of GAF or from people I don't know from GAF/similar communities. People will generally play a fun, well-paced game on whatever hardware they have to run it.

Even with suspend/resume being an option on the PS4? Or do you mean something else?

What exclusivity did persona 5 lose exactly? I don't get this post that is quoted on every page of this thread at all. Is it because it's no longer a PS3 exclusive and is also coming to PS4? If anything that would be a big plus instead of a reason to not play the game?

Or did I miss something and P5 is coming to steam? o_O

Or perhaps the poster meant it's the first Persona that opens up to the masses by being released on:

I'm pretty sure that comment was in regards to Rime, and a lot of people in the thread took it entirely the wrong way. I believe the poster's point was that they're less interested in the game because they're assuming it's not very good if Sony was willing to drop the exclusivity deal (if that is indeed what happened). The troubled development was a cause for concern, certainly.

P5's a game that's been out since September and many people have played to completion and given comprehensive impressions of. You probably already know if you'll want to play it or not and I doubt an 8 from Edge (which is still a good score anyway) is going to sway anyone either way.

Essentially, it's more Persona.

I don't understand anyone claiming the sky is falling because one outlet gave it one point less than P4G and still a good score. Why does that matter in any way?

Nightbird

Or did I miss something and P5 is coming to steam? o_O (but then again, why would that be a reason to not play the game?!)

I think the poster was talking about Rime since it was an PS exclusive when it was first announced, but is now also coming to Switch

edit: beaten.

Rime don't stand a chance against that P5 hype ! The thread title should have been "Edge #305/May - Persona 5 shocking review (Also some other things people won't talk about)" ;-)

Skinpop

I'd be interested in knowing what games those are.

Top Bottom