• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #305/May - Rime (Also Persona 5 review)

petran79

Banned
Night in the Woods' character interaction may be more minimalistic but they are much better than Persona 4 from what I've experienced. Same for P5 I guess.

LotusHD

Banned
Someone said Edge gave TW3 an 8 and it's my game of the generation so far. Nier is also damn good, and it's an 8. So Persona 5 with an 8 is like... What's the problem?

It's starting to dawn on me that people really have high expectations for P5's MC score.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
It's starting to dawn on me that people really have high expectations for P5's MC score.
Indeed. It's the follow-up to one of the most fan revered games ever. The people who like it usually love it (myself included). It stands to reason that people want to see it stand on top of the Pantheon along the likes of Zelda and co.

PK Gaming

The Witcher 3 got an 8 in Edge and that is one of my favorite games of all time. To me that game captivated me like no game done since Ocarina of Time in 98- I can use my brain and internalize what the game means to me. But I can while having my own opinion about the games world building, content, voice acting, graphics, art direction, channeling of slavic mythology and culture and the moment to moment gameplay, still understand that not everyone was able to get over the quirks of combat, or feeling the world is too big, or not being that into the plot.

To handwave people off with criticism along these lines as having a "cultural disconnect" (as a poster accuses Edge of doing in the case of Persona 5) is weak and timid as fuck. You can word it however you like, but in the end, peoples personal enjoyment and abillity or inabillity to get over things and elements is completely inconsequential with this bullshit belief system of "you just don't get the greatness of this game because you're compromised in some way". fuck. that. shit.

Okay, let's set a few things straight here. I don't have a problem with the score. I could not give less of a shit about the overall metacritic score of Persona 5. But you're calling me out for mentioning cultural disconnect?

Let's fucking go.

To be clear, there is a cultural disconnect going on here.

-->Vague Persona 5 spoilers<--
Your family life is everything in Japan. People who come from broken homes are looked down upon, and it's particularly relevant to a certain character.
Which is probably what caused the reviewer to say that. So the "a creeping subtext about the importance of a stable family life" comment is nonsense. That's reality to people living in Japan. Your home life is everything. Honor and shame is a dumb GAF meme, but there is some element of truth to it. And that's part and parcel of playing a Persona game... an aggressively Japanese game. Does that mean it's completely immune to criticism? Fuck no. There are so many other things to slam P5 for. But criticizing a game for accurately representing its own culture is beyond stupid.

Hype for this game is too much. Some people expected a 10 or a 9, so a 8 is quite dissappinting to them.
At the end of the day, it's an anime style RPG that takes almost 100 hours to beat. I don't think this kind of experience is for everyone. The recent Persona games are great because of the school sim/battle dynamic going for it, but it's quite the long and slow burn.

Also, scores really mean nothing. Just because someone thinks the game is an 8, that shouldn't detract from the enjoyment you are going to get out of it.

It's not a bad score. For normal games. For Nier and Persona 5? It's pretty bad.
Come on lol.

Audioboxer

It's really one of those games though that every Persona fan is going to be weeing their pants in excitement regardless. Like, I can't think of another game where it really doesn't matter if it's an 80/85/90 or 95. All Japanese feedback was great, and Western reviews are probably going to be solid as well.

I know Metacritic is Metacritic and people lose their minds but if there is one franchise that is going to ooze quality, polish and give the fans what they want it's Persona.

Also I had never heard of Night's in the Woods till now and it's on my radar now!

HeavenlyE

At this point if you're not expecting Edge to rate a game you're looking forward to atleast 1 point lower than what you think it should be rated then I don't know what to tell you

LotusHD

Banned
Of course, it's been hyped almost the same way as Zelda, Horizon or Nier have.

interesting video on why this game will be amazing -and better than the already great P4 Golden

Lol, Nier was not the same level of hype. Even in the review thread, fans of the first game were worried that the reviewers wouldn't get the whole "endings" thing, or that it'd be too out there. While a few just straight up said it's MC score would be less than 80.

It's like some were certain it'd be good, but felt that the mainstream audience wouldn't be kind to it.

It's really one of those games though that every Persona fan is going to be weeing their pants in excitement regardless. Like, I can't think of another game where it really doesn't matter if it's an 80/85/90 or 95. All Japanese feedback was great, and Western reviews are probably going to be solid as well.

I know Metacritic is Metacritic and people lose their minds but if there is one franchise that is going to ooze quality, polish and give the fans what they want it's Persona.

Also I had never heard of Night's in the Woods till now and it's on my radar now!

Yea, it's like the weirdest thing to get worked up over. That import thread has been up for the longest time, and they all seemed to love it whenever I'd peep in it.

Scoops

Banned
It's not a bad score. For normal games. For Nier and Persona 5? It's pretty bad.

"Normal games"??? As opposed to what? Hyped games or platform exclusives we should inflate scores for to comfort the fanboys?

Nier has like 15 reviews that are 80 or lower on Meta so I fail to see how an 8/10 from a notoriously strict reviewer is "pretty bad."

Gestahl

Okay, let's set a few things straight. I don't have a problem with the score. I could not give less of a shit about the overall metacritic score of Persona 5. But you're calling me out for mentioning "cultural disconnect?" by saying it's a weak argument?

Let's fucking go.

There is a cultural disconnect going on here.

Your family life is everything in Japan. People who come from broken homes are looked down upon, and it's particularly relevant to a certain character.
Which is probably what caused the reviewer to say that. So the "a creeping subtext about the importance of a stable family life" comment is nonsense. That's reality to people living in Japan. Your home life is everything. Honor and shame is a dumb GAF meme, but there is some element of truth to it. And that's part and parcel of playing a Persona game. Does that mean it's completely immune to criticism? Fuck no. But there are so many other things to slam P5 for. But criticizing a game for accurately representing its own culture is stupid.

Not to mention that there are barely any nuclear families represented period in the game, and most of the ones that are there or even remotely close to the western standard are fucked up in their own ways. So it's pretty lousy propaganda if that's what they were going for.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Lol, Nier was not the same level of hype. Even in the review thread, fans of the first game were worried that the reviewers wouldn't get the whole "endings" thing, or that it'd be too out there. While a few just straight up said it's MC score would be less than 80.

It's like they were certain it'd be good, but felt that the mainstream audience wouldn't be kind to it.

Nah Nier had hype they just simply lacked faith. Bayonetta 1 and 2 both had reached 90+ with a fairly mediocre story and questionable design decisions because the gameplay was that good. With the budget and time 85+ was almost certainly assured.

kewlmyc

Yeah, those P5 and Nier scores are going to cause waves, despite both being good scores.

lmao "normal games" as in non-anime waifu games?

I think the poster meant "games that have been highly anticipated for 8 years or games that by all merit should have existed but by some miracle did".

I personally don't think Nier Automata is all that for example. I can think quite of a bunch of flaws that make me personally rate the game a lot lower than Horizon or Zelda. This is my personal opinion. I know others love the game to death, some even say it made them cry. Who's in the right, who's in the wrong?

Again, it's cool to look at a review to see what someone else thinks of the game, and by that I mean reading the actual piece and the author's thoughts on the game. Looking a mere fucking score tells you next to nothing about what makes the game good (or bad). An 8/10 for those who care about numbers, should be something to celebrate. The fact that people are jumping the gun over a number and saying that "it is a bad score for a Persona game" is just silly. Read the review first, play the game second, and then challenge the number.

LotusHD

Banned
Nah Nier had hype they just simply lacked faith. Bayonetta 1 and 2 both had reached 90+ with a fairly mediocre story and questionable design decisions because the gameplay was that good. With the budget and time 85+ was almost certainly assured.

I didn't say it didn't have hype, just not on the level of something like Zelda, especially due to that recurring "lack of faith".

Like you, I did the "math" and figured it'd score high because it had the story (Yoko Taro), music (Okabe), and gameplay (Platinum). So 85+ was always my guess, yet I got told several times to keep my expectations in check in the thread. So... I did. :(

Except for the ones that predicted less than 80, that was just silly lol

Lynx_7

I'm wondering if some people are specifically calling out posts like "same as For Honor? What a joke" as the supposed outrage going on (which is a dime a dozen posts) or if voicing any sort of disagreement = whining. It's ok to discuss the contents of a review and the validity of their claims as long as it doesn't devolve into some reviewer witch hunt by insecure people.

Zoator

An 8 is not a bad score all things considered, and it's silly to freak out about one person's opinion either way. Given the genre and the franchise, you can't really expect astronomical scores from the western gaming press. If it's anything like Persona 4, it will likely be a lot of people's game of the generation (myself included). However, it is unapologetically Japanese in everything it does, from game mechanics to writing, and naturally that's not going to click the same way with everyone in the gaming press outside of Japan -- and that's okay! Just read the impressions and reviews that comment on the things you care about and are looking for in a game, and make your own judgment based on those.

Okay, let's set a few things straight here. I don't have a problem with the score. I could not give less of a shit about the overall metacritic score of Persona 5. But you're calling me out for mentioning cultural disconnect?

Let's fucking go.

To be clear, there is a cultural disconnect going on here.

Which is probably what caused the reviewer to say that. So the "a creeping subtext about the importance of a stable family life" comment is nonsense. That's reality to people living in Japan. Your home life is everything. Honor and shame is a dumb GAF meme, but there is some element of truth to it. And that's part and parcel of playing a Persona game... an aggressively Japanese game. Does that mean it's completely immune to criticism? Fuck no. There are so many other things to slam P5 for. But criticizing a game for accurately representing its own culture is beyond stupid.

Pointing out to cultural norms in Japan does not convince me that the comment "a creeping subtext about the importance of a stable family life" is in reverance to the ignorance of this. The legitimacy of the topical theme is inconsequential from the criticism or how much you as the audience care. Your argument is essentially: "people who are not into this are just ignorant of the social commentary about the reality" *followed by a bunch of cringe pseudo stereotypical one-dimensional extrapolations about japan in its entirety*.
I've not played the game or read the review. I'm not claiming what is meant one way or the other, but it's clear to me, that you're running away with it and making up your own reality based on a lot of baseless (and rather pathetic) assumptions.

You don't have to understand the culture to the point of the social tendencies to criticize it. I'm not going around shouting down people who didn't enjoy Witcher 3s themes by accusing them of not understanding slavic ethnicity. That you're choosing that sword to die on, has to be one of the most weak arguments I've seen in a long time- And there has been a lot of those over the course of people wetting their pants over "outrage" Edge scores.

Xbro

MRt0A5h.png

The reason for this is because a review is meant to be like a test score. A 6 is not a passing grade(in most cases) and in some cases a 7 is just shy as well.

Kuraudo

Banned
Oh shit, Nier only got 8? I've been playing it all day! Is there any way to scrub it from my trophy list before someone I know sees I was playing this garbage?

At least I managed to cancel my Persona 5 order before anyone saw me playing that shit.

Dear lord, an 8 is a great score. This gen any score above 85 is a pretty damn fine game. Very few games have gotten above a 90 and we've just been thrown out of wack the last couple of months

PK Gaming

Pointing out to cultural norms in Japan does not convince me that the comment "a creeping subtext about the importance of a stable family life" is in reverance to the ignorance of this. The legitimacy of the topical theme is inconsequential from the criticism or how much you as the audience care. Your argument is essentially: "people who are not into this are just ignorant of the social commentary about the reality" *followed by a bunch of cringe pseudo stereotypical one-dimensional extrapolations about japan in its entirety*.
I've not played the game or read the review. I'm not claiming what is meant one way or the other, but it's clear to me, that you're running away with it and making up your own reality based on a lot of baseless (and rather pathetic) assumptions.

You don't have to understand the culture to the point of the social tendencies to criticize it. I'm not going around shouting down people who didn't enjoy Witcher 3s themes by accusing them of not understanding slavic ethnicity. That you're choosing that sword to die on, has to be one of the most weak arguments I've seen in a long time- And there has been a lot of those over the course of people wetting their pants over "outrage" Edge scores.

With all due respect, you completely butchered my argument, wrote it off as "pseudo stereotypical one-dimensional extrapolations" (???), and completely missed the point I was trying to make. How is refuting a complaint with actual arguments even remotely comparable to handwaving criticism? When did I even imply that the reviewer didn't "get the greatness" of the game. How am I being cowardly? Spare me the strawman.

I'm honestly really disappointed right now, because I don't like being this badly misrepresented.

You don't have to understand the culture to the point of the social tendencies to criticize it.

If it's a nuanced subject, then of course you fucking need to understand the culture if you want to criticize it.

EDIT: For posterity. An 8/10 is a perfectly fine score for Persona 5.

People really need to stop putting so much focus on game review score. Nier automata got an 8 and was probably the best game on ps4 since bloodborne for me. So an 8 is fine all things considered.

-Horizon-

But the disparity in quality between the two is huge, huge, huge. P5 builds on P4's dungeon mechanics and makes it a 100x better. It's not really similar experience to #fe at all.
The way I'm reading that post is that persona 5 is a step up in the evolution of hand built dungeons that #fe started.
You're not wrong. But the reviewer is not wrong either.
I would like to read the actual quote to know for sure but that's how I'm reading that paraphrased post.

Skinpop

If it's a nuanced subject, then of course you fucking need to understand the culture if you want to criticize it.
I very much agree with this. I don't know if the edge article really did this, but I think it's very problematic to criticize the quality of a work because it doesn't align with one's ideological convictions - especially so when there's a lack of perspective.

The way I'm reading that post is that persona 5 is a step up in the evolution of hand built dungeons that #fe started.
You're not wrong. But the reviewer is not wrong either.
I would like to read the actual quote to know for sure but that's how I'm reading that paraphrased post.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions did not start hand-built dungeons in Atlus games. There's a long line of them in other SMT titles.

FE has nothing to do with Persona 5 and the reviewer's attempt to tie the two together and take the wind out of P5's sails because FE had them first is questionable at best. Obviously we need to read the actual review to find out what was exactly said though, I don't want to lean too heavily on one GAFer's summary.

MTC100

Banned
Calm down guys, everything will be alright. Nier is an exceptional game with flaws as is Persona 5, only because Edge is rating them very harshly, doesn't mean they are worse games than others that get their 10s handed on a silver plate. Also don't forget that Edge is just providing one of dozens of opinions, the Metascore will most likely be still in the 90-95 range :)

Zemm

I don't think Japanese culture is as hard to understand as much as some think it is, but then I don't even think it matters when you play a game because judging it within the knowledge of your own cultural upbringing is completely fine and expected.

The whole nuclear family thing definitely puts me off a little if that's an angle they're bringing up in the game and it doesn't matter if it's a big part of Japanese culture, it's how it resonates with me. The idea of a nuclear family being the end all be all and what we should aspire to is a bit insulting to me and my own experience with life and how I've been brought up and even with my life goals in the future (me and my GF can't have children even if we wanted to) and to be told that isn't the way to go is a bit...

Anyway I'll still play the game an still enjoy it I'm sure, but that angle that Edge have highlighted is something I don't really like but it'll all depend on how well executed and how on the nose it is as to whether I find it as a negative or not.

flozuki

Who gets the cover? Rime?

P.S.: I also think that a 4 for Ghost Recon is a joke. It's a really fun, entertaining game with some small flaws but many great points. I know that showing a society dominated by a drug cartel is a sensitive topic because it's something really sad and many people in real world is suffering it, but it's a fictional work. But just like thousands of other movies or games where torture, theft, kidnapping, massive amount of people being killed and other bad stuff is involved. But hey, it's Ubisoft and not Rockstar or something else so let's give them a bad score.
For Honor is also a game by Ubi ;)

Vena

I think most of the scores make pretty good sense for the respective games (at least what I've played of the list), not sure I'd peg Wildlands at a 4/10 of all things but then my hands-on with it has been limited to playing at a friend's apartment. What I played of it was pretty good fun but, then, from what I've heard playing it with friends in this capacity is almost a pre-requisite for the fun.

I really enjoyed HW2 but I am an tactics fan so my opinion is definitely erred on bias and at a step-back it probably does sit at a 7/10 even if I'd sooner peg it higher at an 8/10 or so, but it has some flaws that I really shouldn't be overlooking.

/shrug

Calm down guys, everything will be alright. Nier is an exceptional game with flaws as is Persona 5, only because Edge is rating them very harshly, doesn't mean they are worse games than others that get their 10s handed on a silver plate. Also don't forget that Edge is just providing one of dozens of opinions, the Metascore will most likely be still in the 90-95 range :)

These are joke posts right? It's very cringeworthy. Do people really need to be reasoned down from a review score? Then you say they were judged harshly? This can't be serious.

Goldboy

No feelings one way or another towards the 8 for P5, but I do wonder if it'll match Persona 4 Golden's 93. Seems like reviewers in general have been a bit harsher this gen.

Pretty great scores for Nier, Persona 5, and Snipperclips.

For Honor looks really fun too. My friends seem to be enjoying it a lot. Too bad I haven't been able to play it.

Vena

Pretty great scores for Nier, Persona 5, and Snipperclips.

For Honor looks really fun too. My friends seem to be enjoying it a lot. Too bad I haven't been able to play it.

For Honor is a lot of fun but with a clean caveat that it is very weighted and deliberate combat and animation recognition, exploitation, and utilization are key in really making the most of the combat engine. I have some friends who (like me) really like it, and some who deflected off of it as if it were made of steel and they metal balls.

It's real good fun, though some of the modes are, imo, hot garbage.

Top Bottom