• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Issue 192 (September)

TheGreatDave said:
I've got the magazine, so if you guys want to know anything I can write some notes.

Braid:

Plays upon conventions of Mario, but closer to Portal
Designed just as well as Portal (!!!)
Each level has a new mechanic: act 3's is brilliant - steps to the right advances time, steps to the left reverses it.
Fails somewhat with it's storytelling - "trite in it's self-conscious obscurity"
Story's themes aren't reflected well in-game until the final level.
One of the finest original titles on Xbox Live Arcade.

Awesome! Thanks!

Any new wrinkles about the new Dash and Avatars would be cool. (Like that !!!GUITAR!!! on the back cover!!)

:D

Monkaii

Dabanton said:
And that is the appeal of them.

You can create a pretty good likeness of yourself quite quickly. My GF invited a work colleague round for dinner with his wife at the weekend. And the conversation got onto the Wii which they had never played.

So we set it up for them to play. They were fascinated with the Mii's, three hours later after some Wii sports, and i think Nintendo have just got another confirmed sale.

That would be the seventh person who me and the GF have gotten to buy a Wii :lol

This always makes me wonder why there isn't a backlash against the Home avatars. These are far more realistic and enter the uncanny valley area due to this. It is far more difficult to identify yourself with characters with such art-style. Let alone, create an avatar with the characteristics of yourself/family. They will most likely look like some random guy/girl who looks slightly like the person you want it to be.

While the Rare-vatars aren't most impressing in screenshots, they seem to allow for better connection between user and avatar with their cartoony approach, although they might also be too detailed. Imo, you can't really tell how they will be received without trying the avatar creator itself; duplication yourself and friends. The avatars shown next to the demonstrations at E3 looked funny and truthful enough to the speakers; and that is the most important part of it :)

The Mii's however are on another level; due to the simplicity one is able to exaggerate all facial features. Effectively creation a caricature of yourself. Due to the lack of realistic faces with pronounced features, one is always able to recognize the person in question; which is always fun for everyone.

The ms effort is closer to this than sony imo :)

TheGreatDave said:
I've got the magazine, so if you guys want to know anything I can write some notes.

Braid:

Plays upon conventions of Mario, but closer to Portal
Designed just as well as Portal (!!!)
Each level has a new mechanic: act 3's is brilliant - steps to the right advances time, steps to the left reverses it.
Fails somewhat with it's storytelling - "trite in it's self-conscious obscurity"
Story's themes aren't reflected well in-game until the final level.
One of the finest original titles on Xbox Live Arcade.

Sounds great! ;D

Man, I wonder if Harmonix threw them some MoCap of someone tuning their guitar. How awesome would that be for a Live Party animation? Just chilling with your Fender. Oh that'd be so sweet.

Xbox Live Shiza:

12 million gold/silver subscribers.
One Vs One Hundred's prizes will include avatar clothing, not so much "big" stuff.
One Vs One Hundred will indicate which friends are playing, the prizes available and allow people to invite friends and set reminders to play.
Launching in North America, UK, France, Germany.

"eventually thousands of items will be available", from guitars to clothes to skateboards, plus attendant animation routines.
"Home is uncanny valley, too realistic. Miis and Avatar's are just right" - some Microsoft dude.
Avatars can wear clothes decorated with your old gamerpics.
"Gamerpics aren't going away, they're now a badge of your identity!"
Lacks the features of Miis when it comes to face editing, makes up for it with everything else.
COMPOSED OF 102 VIRTUAL BONES.

TheGreatDave said:

"eventually thousands of items will be available", from guitars to clothes to skateboards, plus attendant animation routines.
"Home is uncanny valley, too realistic. Miis and Avatar's are just right" - some Microsoft dude.
Lacks the features of Miis when it comes to face editing, makes up for it with everything else.

They read my mind!

Don't get why it should lack the features of a pretty simple editing interface that the friggin' Simpsons Movie website didn't seem to have a problem replicating.

Are the faces in 3D? I suppose that might be the reason...

lost all respect for edge when they gave alone in the dark a 7. worst game ever in recent years. they didnt have much respect from me before giving ridiculous ratings to ridiculous games, but this took the cake.

XNA:

Creators will price their own games; as little as 200 MS points for games under 50mb, and either 200, 400 or 800 for games under 150MB

Microsoft take 30%. If they market your game, they take an extra 10-15%

Microsoft ain't screening the games.

"Games won't be rated on quality" by the user base. At least that's how I read it.

Lips

It looks a lot like Singstar.

Includes a version of STAR POWER, tilt that mic at some point and you'll get extra points!

You can cue up songs, listen and/or watch them, and shake the mic when you decide it's time to play.

40 songs on disc.

Can use MP3s on network, hard drive, Zune, iPod - these songs won't have access to the game's competitive game modes due to lack of game data, Inis says Lips will offer some form of operability with player's home music it isn't revealing.

That's pretty much all the interesting stuff from the Xbox Live stuff.

buffi

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
XNA:

Creators will price their own games; as little as 200 MS points for games under 50mb, and either 200, 400 or 800 for games under 150MB

Microsoft take 30%. If they market your game, they take an extra 10-15%

Microsoft ain't screening the games.

"Games won't be rated on quality" by the user base. At least that's how I read it.

This is awesome.
Microsoft only taking 30% is actually a really good deal and good indie publishers should be able to make quite a load of cash this way.

The fact that they aren't screening the games is awesome, and something I never thought would happen. This will lead to loads of games to select from.

Finally a reason to keep my 360.

Hunahan

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
There's an interview with Don Mattrick. There's a wonderful picture of him with his hands on his hips with a huge shit eating grin on his face.

"A recent study showed that 18-26 year olds are spending 75 hours a week with our box".

:eek:
:lol

What?

That can't be right.

10.5 hours per day? Are these all unemployed 18-26 year olds or what?

Probably was supposed to be 75 a month. Even then it's pretty high.

goomba

Banned
TheGreatDave said:

Wtf , the whole point and success of Mii's was the fact you could edit the face..

Gino

Gizmo_Monkey said:
lost all respect for edge when they gave alone in the dark a 7. worst game ever in recent years. they didnt have much respect from me before giving ridiculous ratings to ridiculous games, but this took the cake.

... Oxymoron and Hyperbole.

MechDX

TheGreatDave said:
Xbox Live Shiza:

12 million gold/silver subscribers.
One Vs One Hundred's prizes will include avatar clothing, not so much "big" stuff.
One Vs One Hundred will indicate which friends are playing, the prizes available and allow people to invite friends and set reminders to play.
Launching in North America, UK, France, Germany.

Well now I am not into the whole "Avatar" thing but this seems kind of cool.

100_3831a.jpg

tell me this is real XD they say they Inverted the colours and look what u can see

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
dabookerman's photo does show that when you invert the colours, but I think dabookerman's got some explainin' to do! :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
jump_button said:
100_3831a.jpg

tell me this is real XD they say they Inverted the colours and look what u can see
Dude... :lol

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
dabookerman said:
Features

- A Look at the entire Oddworld series, and the making of the games

man I wish they was making games like the PSone versions, those were sooooo damn good :(

what happen to them?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I doubt it's Shemue 3. Wasn't it already confirmed that it wasn't in production by Sega. Also, If this game is being made and Edge magazine has the big reveal, that shit would have leaked. If Shenmue 3 is coming out, its a huge deal, it would have definitely leaked. We would have seen screen shots already. :D

Hmm..
The next issue is coincidentally a few days after Leipzig (where some games will undoubtedly be revealed)

Alan Wake is a writer..so I assume he would take notes of some kind, during the game.
I'm going to go with an Alan Wake cover story on this one (even if the game is not at Leipzig).

Symytry

There isn't ever going to be a Shenmue III. You guys that want the game so bad might as well start making it yourselves, it'll get made faster that way.

Sick of the avatar hype, I could fucking care less. The mii's, avatars, and homatars all look shitty compared to the in game models I'm used to on next-gen systems so I can't really be bothered with any of them. I'm shocked that MS and the gaming media are hyping these things up as game-changing.

More interested in actual dashboard features.

rhino4evr

why is it that every thread that involves any sort of hint at a new game, some jack ass yells Shemune 3!!!. It ain't happenin folks. Let it go.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Liara T'Soni said:
Sick of the avatar hype, I could fucking care less. The mii's, avatars, and homatars all look shitty compared to the in game models I'm used to on next-gen systems so I can't really be bothered with any of them. I'm shocked that MS and the gaming media are hyping these things up as game-changing.

More interested in actual dashboard features.

Someone break out the continuum of caring pic please.

Rufus

dallow_bg said:
I'm confused now. so is the faint text in the NOTES shopped in as a joke?
Yes. It originated in this very thread for fuck's sake.
I can't believe you people sometimes...

Top Bottom