• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE | November 2011 | Scores & Content [Skyrim Cover]

Derrick01

Banned
DennisK4 said:
To all of the people hating on Dead Island: thanks for ruining gaming.

Its no fucking wonder we get so many anemic fps games when delicate flowers get upset that a game is a little janky.

I play enough western rpgs to be very familiar with jank. Jank isn't what's wrong with Dead Island, it's just a very shitty game. There's nothing special about it for you to say we're ruining gaming. It's just another giant empty world that throws some co-op in so you can bro it up with friends. There's 0 depth to it.

Concept17 said:
As for Space Marine... I've only played the demo, which was awesome. The OT makes the full game sound even better. Guess they just didn't like it?

I'm on chapter 7 or 8 and I can see it getting that score. It really brings nothing new to the table except for the health gaining executions. Certain parts are more fun than others but it seems to really funnel you and it doesn't take any time pretending that it's not a corridor.

Not the games fault as I think this is what they wanted from it, but I can see how some would think it's average. I'm enjoying it and will probably finish it this weekend.

Kusagari

Derrick01 said:
I play enough western rpgs to be very familiar with jank. Jank isn't what's wrong with Dead Island, it's just a very shitty game. There's nothing special about it for you to say we're ruining gaming. It's just another giant empty world that throws some co-op in so you can bro it up with friends. There's 0 depth to it.

Dead Island has the best combat system I've ever used in a game like it. So, yes there is something special about it.

Derrick01

Banned
Kusagari said:
Dead Island has the best combat system I've ever used in a game like it. So, yes there is something special about it.

Too bad the combat is ruined by the awful character movement, it's like they don't know how to move around like a normal human. Condemned and Dark Messiah did the first person melee thing better.

MidnightCowboy said:
I haven't even played Dead Island and I know that 3 isn't a legitimate score. Reviews should be partly subjective, partly objective. Again I haven't played the game, so I don't know for sure, but objectively speaking, I'm sure it merits at least more than a 3.

I agree with you on this. While nowhere near perfect, still very deserving of a slightly better score. Hard Reset score is pretty damn accurate though.

AkuMifune

Banned
I read enough GAF to be very familiar with trolls. Trolls aren't what's wrong with GAF they're just very shitty people. There's nothing special about them, and they're ruining the gaming forums. They're just giant empty people that throw some comments in so you can bro it up with friends. There's 0 depth to them.

MidnightCowboy said:
I haven't even played Dead Island and I know that 3 isn't a legitimate score. Reviews should be partly subjective, partly objective. Again I haven't played the game, so I don't know for sure, but objectively speaking, I'm sure it merits at least more than a 3.

LOL objective review.

urge26

Kusagari said:

Amen..... just beat the game on PC last night, 100% level 45. Aside from the day one issues, the game was a blast from start to finish. Certainly rough around the edges, but the combat was so much more satisfying (for me) then Fallout, Borderlands and other games in that same genre. Edge can have their opinions, but a 3/10 is so far off base that it may sway some people from trying the game out which I think is a shame.

Dyno

DennisK4 said:

Its no fucking wonder we get so many anemic fps games when delicate flowers get upset that a game is a little janky.

The games' jank is not the issue. The game is simply incompetent.

I've played Dead Island for the past three Tuesdays at our gaming night. The review and people's reactions are spot on.

The character advancement and xp is garbage and unnecessary. Levelling up zombies is also fucking stupid. THAT is the anemia you should be talking about. The inventory sucks. The quests are beyond vanilla. One button weapon combat with no blocking was a huge mistake. In short they fucked up things that have been givens in the industry for years.

The only thing the game got right was the feeling of braining a zombie, complete with limb damage. It feels right and it is the most important part of the game but that one thing has to carry the entire title. Three session in and I'm here to tell you: it doesn't!

Nail a 3 onto this corpse of a game, set in on fire, and move on.

Mooreberg

I'm not sure review scores matter for Dead Island. It it supposedly selling well despite a thoroughly mediocre review average for the 360 version on GameRankings and Metacritic. Dead girl in trailer + trending topic on Twitter = sales. Marketing, bruh.

Raziel

DennisK4 said:

dead island includes nearly every tired and production-line standard feature that puts gaming in said ruined state.

first person, mission-based, open world, zombies, online co-op focused.

all it needed was dialogue trees and a heavier focus on guns, and i think the game disc/box would actually lose all corporeal form.

Dennis

Banned
raziel said:
dead island includes nearly every tired and production-line standard feature that puts gaming in said ruined state.

first person, mission-based, open world, zombies, online co-op focused.

all it needed was dialogue trees and a heavier focus on guns, and i think it would actually lose all corporeal form.

It did the bolded very well. Very, very well. Not someones cup of tea, fair enough. But 3/10, even from EDGE, is ridiculous.

OldJadedGamer said:

To me the text reads like they knew about the patch, but it was scheduled for after the review went up.

DennisK4 said:

Again, Edge bashes all open world games with janky gameplay mechanics. It gives the impression that they hate WRPGs, when in reality they simply hate bugs. If a game deleted my save in the first week, I'd give it a 3 as well.

DennisK4 said:

I'm so sick of the same ol' same ol' FPS. Glad they did something fresh and new with Dead Island by adding Zombies.......

Sho_Nuff82 said:
To me the text reads like they knew about the patch, but it was scheduled for after the review went up.

They said though that none of the patch fixes affected their complaints.

Dyno

DennisK4 said:
It did the bolded very well. Very, very well. Not someones cup of tea, fair enough. But 3/10, even from EDGE, is ridiculous.

Dead Island was a great concept that was handled like shit. I would have loved just to be on the island trying to survive every step of the way. Instead there are a whole fucking boatload of living people standing around, doing nothing, saying "I want gas. I want my perscription filled. I need to get my laundry into the dryer."

What zombie outbreatk have you ever seen where the zombies aren't piled ten deep around the places where the living people are? They should be tearing their way in. Those fucking quest bots are snug and safe in their little bases and it's painfully obvious that the zombies aren't going to get them.

Just kills the whole thing.

3rdman

MidnightCowboy said:
Do you realize how crazy you sound...let me rephrase it for you...

"I don't know if a Yugo is a good car or not but 3 is not a legitimate score. Of course, I haven't actually driven the car so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about but I'm sure that it's better than a 3!"

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Definitely think Resistance 3 deserved more love, should've gotten an 8 atleast but rightfully a 9 along with Gears

Glix

Darklord said:
Get the fuck out of here.

Yeah, every single thing I've read about this game, both from users and journalists say it is a MUCH better game than a 5.

Of course Gears gets a 9 though. My favorite thing with game journalisim is how they selectively apply the "I feel like I've played this before" to various games but not to others.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
I've been following these Edge threads for 2 years or so. Why is it so difficult to simply accept that a magazine has posted a score you disagree with and deal with it?

I enjoy Edge's reviews. One of the few gaming publications that has very solid writing. I really appreciate the insights.

somesplace

Neo Member
thelurkinghorror said:
Yes, I swear.

Seriously guys, you accept the same amount of bugs from a game made by a famous software houses and a game made by a small one... is like complaints about the minecraft's graphics.

and why shouldn't we complain about minecraft's graphics? minecraft isn't popular because the whole world is having a pity party for a small development team, it's popular because it offers something people enjoy despite the problems it has, such as its graphics.

no the budget of a game isn't taken into account by good critics. nor is the price. compare the game to those which have come before it, and if it fares favorably enough, then I will decide whether I think it is worth my money and time. i don't need the reviewer to decide whether the game is worth my money for me; i only need him to tell me how he feels about it in comparison to other games.

and if a low score destroys a small studio, who cares? do you rate everything in life on some invisible, imagined "potential," or do you rate according to what you can see? you mention daggerfall as an example. again, daggerfall was, despite it's flaws, a good game. its flaws weren't excused by the "potential" of the studio "despite budget limitations"; its flaws were excused by its merits.

you apparently disagree with the edge reviewer with regard to dead island's merits, so argue on account of the game's strengths, not on account of the developer's weaknesses.

zoukka

ramine said:
I've been following these Edge threads for 2 years or so. Why is it so difficult to simply accept that a magazine has posted a score you disagree with and deal with it?

Because some people have to justify a lot of things to themselves.

Smellycat

So, we should expect a Skyward Sword review in the next issue? Around this time next month?

The game will be out by then, and I will be faaaaaaaar away from Neogaf.

1-D_FTW

thelurkinghorror said:
Dead Island [3]

This is lack of respect. Hundreds of peoples invest their life in a big project and a "respected" magazine suddenly decides to kill all hopes. There's no excuse.

Never confuse activity for achievement. If it sucks, it sucks.

It's not like they're giving it away for free. They want people to pay 50 dollars for it. Fair game.

Dresden

Dead Island is a 3, I agree with that. You guys are getting twisted up over nothing.

I fucking liked Dead Island but it's a janky, cluttered piece of shit.

DSN2K

I haven't played the game but dead Island is a full price game, its not a budget release from an indie developer. It should be reviewed and rated the same way every other full price title should be.

If corners were cut and its buggy those short comings shouldn't be looked over.

Really enjoying Dead Island so far. It has some technical issues and isn't the best game out there, but I find it to be pretty immersive and generally well made. Good atmosphere, lots of content.

So yeah. That score is total bullshit. I can understand giving it a 6 or something due to technical problems and a lack of polish, but a 3 should be given out to something truly terrible. I've played truly terrible games and Dead Island is not one of them at all.

StevePharma said:
Dead Island [3]

4u8j6s.jpg

Vamphuntr

With EDGE you have to give a greater importance to the text itself than the score. The review itself find many flaws but most of the text is dedicated to failure of the concept more than game braking breakin flaws. Didn't seem like a 3 to me by reading it but it certainly didn't feel like the reviewer had a good time. The online seems terrible to play with a close friend and I hate the level scaling of enemies.

Also wow at someone pulling the "If you didn't like this game you are contributing to the death of original games". This is such a broad and empty statement.Hope you guys never buy sequels or spin offs.

overcast

DennisK4 said:

The game is selling well enough.

JDSN

Banned
DennisK4 said:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197999432956/

Please pay special attention to the amount of playtime placed on Red Orchestra 2, which is a new FPS done by relative small studio and is doing things in terms of gameplay, sound and level design that most games cant dream of having, its also had a bad launch full of lag, stat tracking and in general a shitty community, yet the game does more good than bad which is where Dead Island fails. Its not that EDGE cant see past the flaws of the game, they can, its just that the good things that Dead Island does arent good enough.

Also, the game has shipped like two million copies, and thats a damn shame, thanks for ruining gaming by settling for less.

Glix said:
Yeah, every single thing I've read about this game, both from users and journalists say it is a MUCH better game than a 5.

Of course Gears gets a 9 though. My favorite thing with game journalisim is how they selectively apply the "I feel like I've played this before" to various games but not to others.

My favorite thing with forum members like you is how you selectively apply the "I think this game sucks" to various games but not other, shit, your post implied that you havent even touched Dead Island.

Edge are so funny sometimes, they can give out spot on score like 3/10 for Dead Island, but get on the funny train with a 9/10 for a game like From Dust.

Hey look, EDGE trying to be controversial again...

One of the best games this year and they give it a 3. Not a 6 or a 5, but a 3. What a joke.

StevePharma said:
They state that 40K fans will eat this up and that Relic did a very good job translating the 40K universe to an action game. They call the game casually enjoyable but never vivid, memorable or involving due to the linearity and sameness of corridors. I can relate to that even if I am a true Games Workshop nut.

That's it! I'm calling in the Inquisition. I brand you heretic!

Yoshichan said:
Wow, never seen EDGE so accurate with their numbers before.

Haven't played Gears 3 but based on the previous titles, it was given the correct score. Resistance 3 deserves exactly a 7 and Dead Island is a piece of shit so a 3 is accurate.

this is how gaming "journalists" work ladies and gents

The_Monk

Ouch at Dead Island.

=/

No way it's that bad, it's a bit low from them giving such score.

I hope Dead Island to sell well and hope they patch everything that needs to improve.

Gattsu25

Banned
I don't really care about review scores one way or the other but..
thelurkinghorror said:
Dead Island [3]

This is lack of respect. Hundreds of peoples invest their life in a big project and a "respected" magazine suddenly decides to kill all hopes. There's no excuse.
Get the hell out of here with that stuff. If someone dislikes a game that badly they can give it a 0/10 and be perfectly justified. Lack of respect? Their customers are their readers and it is their job to write in their readers' best interests.

So you don't agree with the score? Then just say that. No need to accuse them of an outlandish claim, as you did.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ken Masters said:
this is how gaming "journalists" work ladies and gents
Yes, I'm part of the problem. LOOK AT ME, LADIES AND GENTS.

No, I didn't say something wrong. It was an assumption, based on previous games in the series. The game might as well suck but until I actually play it, I'm gonna say it looks pretty damn awesome and almost identically as fun as the original and 2.

mujun

Dead Island is definitely going to be in my top 10 for the year. I can't understand how it gets a 3. I can see a 5 or something.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Dead Island isn't nearly that bad.

Buggy as fuck - Yes, but never unplayable.
Repetitive at times - Yes, not enough variety in the zombie types IMO, leveling system can be annoying too.
Janky controls - Hell no. They're weighty and very satisfying. They're really perfect for the type of game it is. I'd say they're even better than Condemned, maybe not as fast but impacts and cuts are definitely heavier and more satisfying.

Also, someone didn't tell them to play with analog controls, although this is partially the dev's fault for making the weaker control scheme default.

Top Bottom