• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE | November 2011 | Scores & Content [Skyrim Cover]

Yoshichan said:
Yes, I'm part of the problem. LOOK AT ME, LADIES AND GENTS.

No, I didn't say something wrong. It was an assumption, based on previous games in the series. The game might as well suck but until I actually play it, I'm gonna say it looks pretty damn awesome and almost identically as fun as the original and 2.

I didn't say you said anything wrong, I just pointed you out because you summed up in that post and this post I'm quoting how gaming "journalism" works. Most reviewers already have a set score in mind for a game they're reviewing before ever playing, and unless something dramatic happens, that's the score they go by. Example? see every AAA released

My God, the Dead Island defenders are out in force here. Edge is one publication entitled to its own view. Was Dead Island a below average game? I'd say average, but I can understand why Edge would consider it below average.

With an average of 5, a 3 is below average, something I can easily understand for the mess that Dead Island was.

It's sad what being a gamer is today. Dead Island was great. People have shit opnions on what is good and what isn't. 95 percent of classic gaming is shit, but it doesn't nearly get as much flack as games today. 21+ years gaming and some shit never changes.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ken Masters said:
I didn't say you said anything wrong, I just pointed you out because you summed up in that post and this post I'm quoting how gaming "journalism" works. Most reviewers already have a set score in mind for a game they're reviewing before ever playing, and unless something dramatic happens, that's the score they go by. Example? see every AAA released
This I agree on.

syoaran

thelurkinghorror said:
Dead Island [3]

This is lack of respect. Hundreds of peoples invest their life in a big project and a "respected" magazine suddenly decides to kill all hopes. There's no excuse.

I've read all your posts, but this is the one I'll quote.

I understand that its disappointing for a game to receive a poor score after people have invested a lot of time in it, I get it. But effort only gets you so far. A teacher is not going to give you a pass based on effort alone, your marked on the final product. Under your logic, everyone who at least tried a bit at university deserves a degree at the end of it. It's not how it works, you have to push forward to the final product.

I doubt it was the artists fault, or even the programmers. But at some point during Dead Islands development, a decision was made to get the game out before it was ready. The review build was buggy as hell, and journalists don't have to give an allowance for it. Post launch patches to make the game function properly is now considered normal, but it doesn't mean it excuses the poor state of the game when its left QA.Edge generally don't like lazy gameplay and lazy decisions, i.e a ton of repetition. A 3 is fine considering the source.

In all fairness, I don't think the game was terrible, but it wasn't amazing either. I guess I'm just tired of zombie games, as they generally have poor AI to go with them. Mowing down fields of AI creatures got boring after L4D for me, but I know a lot of people love it and thats fine, but don't look at a magazine at Edge and expect them to review a game you like positively just because a lot of people worked hard on it. Otherwise you'd expect "Insert Movie Game here" to get 8 just because it had a staff of over 400 at one point to get it out the door.

AkuMifune

Banned
People keep excusing the Dead Island review because it was a "buggy mess", but they reviewed the 360 version, which I played for over 30 hours pre-patch and only had issues with matchmaking that I was able to easily workaround.

I'm not too upset because there's usually at least one game Edge likes to troll a month for no good reason other than publicity, but in this case it just seems egregious. All I can say is hey, if you're going to be that unfair at least I know I never need to pay for your opinion.

Yanksfan

AkuMifune said:
People keep excusing the Dead Island review because it was a "buggy mess", but they reviewed the 360 version, which I played for over 30 hours pre-patch and only had issues with matchmaking that I was able to easily workaround.

I'm not too upset because there's usually at least one game Edge likes to troll a month for no good reason other than publicity, but in this case it just seems egregious. All I can say is hey, if you're going to be that unfair at least I know I never need to pay for your opinion.

That hardly means that the 360 build was perfect pre-patch. Good that it all worked fine for you, but that doesn't mean it indicates everyone's experience.

I also do not know if they reviewed the final pre-patched 360 release, or if they received an even earlier one than the final product that went to press.

It really makes me sad that when big publishers score games not common with the big fray they get dogpiled on. In a market where bribes of good scores and fear of lost sales due to backlash is common, it pains me to see GAF on the bandwagon.

tea_and_crumpets said:
4u8j6s.jpg

Someone needs to make this game.

Wallach

It's funny because while I'm playing DI and am often laughing out loud, I don't know if I'd disagree with that review (up to Act II). From a design standpoint it's fucking hilariously bad, has no sense of pace whatsoever and had one of the worst launches in years. But playing it like a really long episode of MST3K is still a great time. If it did not have that quality going for it, it wouldn't be worth installing.

Pachimari

Talking about EDGE, you can now download a back number for free through EDGE on iPad, as celebration of the Newsstand launch. Got the whole "PlayStation Vita" issue for free.

Top Bottom