• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online gameplay leaked

Ashodin

To the layman maybe. Shit like that is what can be easily changed and probably will be changed. It's a beta.

Graphics and a sense of what they're aiming for should be the only thing judged from leaks.

Ahem what? That kind of thing cannot be changed without a full programming rework of combat. The game has been in development for years, and they're just now polishing it up. I seriously doubt they would go back and reprogram an entire part of the game.

Beta is beta is no excuse. Like most people said earlier, usually in beta you're close to what you are getting with the launch game, and if you think ZeniMax is going to "tighten" things up, I have a bridge to sell you.

Secondly, here's the big kicker on the video when I looked at it (not to mention the animation, the graphics, and the piss poor implementation of the combat):

The NPCs can hit you from nearly 10 feet away (OR MORE) with MELEE. FUCKING MELEE.

That should be enough right there to go "nope nope nope"
It is a beta after all.

bounchfx

Yeah, the graphics look a bit generic and bland but not they're that bad for an MMO. Has there been an MMO with graphics worth gawking at because they all seem to have this similar "style"? I still want to try it just because it's Elder Scrolls.

imo wildstar, and to a lesser extent blade & soul just because how high spec everything is... even if the world itself seems bland and repetitive.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
they took it down, lol. I have it on my HDD but I won't upload it. It's closed beta after all.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Ahem what? That kind of thing cannot be changed without a full programming rework of combat. The game has been in development for years, and they're just now polishing it up. I seriously doubt they would go back and reprogram an entire part of the game.

Beta is beta is no excuse. Like most people said earlier, usually in beta you're close to what you are getting with the launch game, and if you think ZeniMax is going to "tighten" things up, I have a bridge to sell you.

The melee thing? Yeah, that can probably be either attributed to latency or easily changed if they wanted to. You can't actually have people be within ACTUAL touching distance of eachother in games like this, latency between you, the server, and other players just won't allow that.

If that's really a dealbreaker then that's some high standards. No MMO I've ever seen has had combat that looked perfect.

Ashodin

Unknown.

We just know they have a whole bunch of studios working on a AAA MMO.

Hnnnh. If it is Ass Creed Online, I can see it being done. Two factions, multi-time based gameplay (your main character is in the real world, but you go to "zones" in different eras, etc). Could see it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Unknown.

We just know they have a whole bunch of studios working on a AAA MMO.

Great to know that Ubisoft most likely thinks that they're the exception and can succeed in making a AAA MMO in this current state of the industry. Amazing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hnnnh. If it is Ass Creed Online, I can see it being done. Two factions, multi-time based gameplay (your main character is in the real world, but you go to "zones" in different eras, etc). Could see it.

It is some kind of RPG to note, but they call it "highly ambitious", so it might not be entirely standard.

Or it could just mean they're spending assloads of money.

Ashodin

ArenaNet Game Director Colin Johanson stresses the steep risk studios face whenever tackling an MMO project.

“You’re basically betting your company any time you decide that the thing you’re going to make is an MMO,” he states. “They take so long and so much money to make that either you’re successful and you’re going to do really well or you’re not and your company’s toast. If you have a really big backer, maybe you can survive that, but it’s a huge risk.”

Worth noting every time a big developer tries this. This comment is on the money. (quite literally)

It is some kind of RPG to note, but they call it "highly ambitious", so it might not be entirely standard.

Assloads of money = not good, potentially

Highly ambitious = what, making an action game into an MMO?

MMOs need one of two things to catch attention off the bat - a big name IP, such as Star Wars and TES, or uniquely made gameplay, such as TERA.

The next MMO I'm looking forward to (and will get revealed on August 1st) is EQ Next. Every whisper and hushed words about the game seems like it's going to be absolutely crazy.

Lombax

Banned
for those who did not get to watch it after it was pulled you can see the footage here

I for one have no interest in playing this game after watching that footage.

kayos90

I believe that there is talent at Ubi. They've done some great stuff over the past decade, and a lot of not so great. However, I am extremely extremely wary of their MMO venture.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Destiny is still probably going to remain the best looking "MMO" and one of the most successful.

Besides ESO, it's the only other one I'm interested in.

Jarnet87

My favorite part about upcoming MMOs is when developers talk about all the great experiences they are trying to create and how their game is going to offer so much to the player, and then they, well, end up putting out this lol.

My favorite part about upcoming MMOs is when developers talk about all the great experiences they are trying to create and how their game is going to offer so much to the player, and then they, well, end up putting out this lol.

To be fair its an invite beta and the person playing is utter garbage

sp3000

I find this great also. I hear every MMO developer say it and all the games turn out to look and play equally awful.

I think the only game that ever lived up to this promise was EVE. Probably because it's not just trying very hard to be reskinned Wow

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Worth noting every time a big developer tries this. This comment is on the money. (quite literally)

Assloads of money = not good, potentially

Highly ambitious = what, making an action game into an MMO?

MMOs need one of two things to catch attention off the bat - a big name IP, such as Star Wars and TES, or uniquely made gameplay, such as TERA.

The next MMO I'm looking forward to (and will get revealed on August 1st) is EQ Next. Every whisper and hushed words about the game seems like it's going to be absolutely crazy.
Yeah personally I'm kind of done with the DIKU/Everquest 1/WoW derived MMO formula at this point unless it has very notable additions and changes.

Everquest 3's new direction should be interesting to see.

I believe that there is talent at Ubi. They've done some great stuff over the past decade, and a lot of not so great. However, I am extremely extremely wary of their MMO venture.

Ubisoft is an incredibly hit or miss company in my experience, but yeah, they definitely still can make a really good hit when they don't miss.

Rootbeer

Banned
Sigh, 2013 and this is still what MMOs look like. Haven't had a nice visual bump in a good ten years and it's getting old. GW2 looks better :/

kayos90

Ubisoft is an incredibly hit or miss company in my experience, but yeah, they definitely still can make a really good hit when they don't miss.

I think the MMO venture is an extremely dangerous market. Considering the average dev time for it is 5 years roughly by the looks of it, the costs are extremely high. Not only that but the size of the teams are also huge which means the money is going to be going out even faster. If there is no long term return on it it's a huge bomb. Take into account that MMOs are expected to have features and innovations that other games have already introduced, it's hard to implement some ideas midway through the development process. Making an MMO is an arduous this I would assume.

I think this is part of the reason why ventures like TOR and FF14 failed. They tried to capitalize on the success of something in the past or present but took too long and thought they were taking a share of the MMO market but in reality they were being further left behind. Guild Wars 2 was in development for a long time and while it did well, I think cases like these don't happen often.

We also have to take into consideration of the profit model. Do they launch F2P or P2P? If it's F2P, are microtransactions built into the design of the game or are they just tacked on. There are so many variables and unknowns, MMO developing is a huge gamble. It's a very dynamic developing niche that I think will be hard to overcome for years and quite possibly never.

RoyalFool

Banned
The single advantage of going up against the behemoth of Wow is that you can learn a lot from it's past mistakes. It's crazy, Blizzard have re-invented the menu system about 4 times now in WoW in order to get it "right" - and yet all too often these new titles think it's OK to launch with a wow 1.0.0 style interface.

I'm hoping the design plan was to get a super crude game up and running and then reiterate over everything, many times. Because that's the only possible explanation as to why everything could look that awful.

9 years later and people are still trying to copy WoW.

Imagine if Motorola tried to compete with the iPhone and GSIV with this in 2013:

motorola-w156-w160.jpg

Did anyone ever actually want an Elder Scrolls MMO?

MMO? No. 2-5 player co-op? Yes. TES has never been about large scale wars (even though Skyrim sort of tried). I just want to explore dungeons and caves and towns with a few friends.

Onemic

I think the only game that ever lived up to this promise was EVE. Probably because it's not just trying very hard to be reskinned Wow

From what I've played I agree with this. EVE(and I guess to some extent FFXIV, but that game sucks) is the only game to actually do its own thing, without looking at WoW as something to base its game off of.

Nokterian

Sigh, 2013 and this is still what MMOs look like. Haven't had a nice visual bump in a good ten years and it's getting old. GW2 looks better :/

Yes but keep Wildstar on your radar also,it has more personality and from what i saw and atmosphere then what this MMO never could have.

Top Bottom