• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online gameplay leaked

MooseKing

Banned
Indeed. I was on a medium server since vanilla that slowly got dominated by the horde. Alliance has pretty much been dead on it since the final months of WOTLK, which IMO is when the game died. Expansions always revive interest and bring old faces back, but within a few months it always returns to a slow funeral procession. I haven't played in months. The game is dying, and introducing new environments isn't going to change that.

I wish Blizzard would just either merge smaller servers or give new and old players an incentive to join small servers. It sucked being on a small/medium 70% horde server as alliance.

Anyway ESO...looks bad but most MMOs do at this stage so it has plenty of time to improve. Still I don't see it making much of an impact or selling well regardless. It'll be f2p within a few months.

Yup. Everyone has moved to one of the large servers. I say there are five, but there are more like 7 including Area 52 and Dark Spear. Outside of those 7 of so, all other servers are damn near dead.

Considering there are dozens upon dozens upon dozens of servers, using evidence that one of 7 servers has a ton of players is pretty hilarious.

North America needs to be merged down to about 14 servers.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Realms_list - server list. You haven't heard of 99 percent of these servers and they are mostly empty.

Zeroth

An Elder Scrolls MMO ought to be a sandbox. While Skyrim has introduced elements of WoW's design into its game, that is not the right direction for an Elder Scrolls game, in either single player or mmo variants.

In my eyes, games like EverQuest and Ultima are the quintessential examples of MMO design. They're worlds first, where the player creates a story for him or herself to follow, as opposed to games first, where the developer gives you your story.

So disappointing to see the Elder Scrolls name attached to this game. As soon as I saw the player shoot a fireball at the npc, and it do NOTHING, I didn't need to see anything else. More locked down, sterile, by-the-numbers bullshit, the sort that we've been fed for years now since WoW championed it.

3 months and its dead.

I really wish more MMOs aimed at creating a world and let players shape it rather than creating their own world and letting players play it, but most are seeking that WoW cash, and the others never risk that much.

RobertM

That looks like Two Worlds from the graphics down to combat. Thats a pretty piss poor attempt at an MMO. They should have really tried to make it FP.

BigDug13

On the plus side, it looks a hell of a lot better than Oblivion. I'll take a generic fantasy MMO that's competently made over a generic fantasy RPG that's not.

But Oblivion is amazing with some of the player mods. This game won't have that.

Comandr

Am I really one of the only ones that are genuinely excited for this game? I love Elder Scrolls as much as the next guy, and this game looks to combine a lot of the fun elements of Elder Scrolls into a genre I already love. Skyrim would have been infinitely more fun multiplayer. Well now you have it; so why is everyone crying?

I'm also getting a distinct Classic EverQuest feel from this. Something about the way that the description read upon finding that body for the quest.

We have all played plenty of ugly games, and we've loved them for ages. I personally appreciate the more plain aesthetic. Real people are plain looking. I think toning down the "high fantasy" elements is great. (Again, going back to Classic EverQuest. You were lucky to be able to cobble together a full set of Leather armor by the time you were level 16. It was brown, heavy, had no stats, and you were happy.)

Countless games have tried to emulate WoW to various degrees of success. Unfortunately, it seems like WoW can't even emulate itself properly, its been reduced to this grotesque chimera of ideas and gameplay. Vanilla WoW was a wildly different beast than what is sold to us today.

I am personally looking forward to a game that isn't afraid to be a bit different, critics be damned. Who's to say what the game will look like when its released? Who's to say what it'll look like two years from now?

We already know that some mods will be available, to what extent is impossible to say right now, because everything is subject to change.

Grinchy

Banned
lol graphics aside, I think it looks kinda cool

Maybe not $15/month and a $60 upfront fee cool, but I'd still like to try it very much.

I am personally looking forward to a game that isn't afraid to be a bit different, critics be damned. Who's to say what the game will look like when its released? Who's to say what it'll look like two years from now?

We already know that some mods will be available, to what extent is impossible to say right now, because everything is subject to change.

What's different about this game from WoW?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Am I really one of the only ones that are genuinely excited for this game?

Yes.

Countless games have tried to emulate WoW to various degrees of success. Unfortunately, it seems like WoW can't even emulate itself properly, its been reduced to this grotesque chimera of ideas and gameplay. Vanilla WoW was a wildly different beast than what is sold to us today.

WoW today is not trying to "emulate" vanilla WoW.

WoW evolved in response to player tastes and development pressures. Quite frankly it would be impossible for a game under constant development over the past 9 years to not change.

I don't see how this game is different. By being more like classic EQ? I guess there are some hardcore MMO fans that want a game like that. Not enough to support a game like this.

There's no way I am going to play this game, and I admit I am confused as to why it exists. A lot of high profile MMO games have failed miserably the past few years. These games are hugely expensive to make.

The market is moving away from a model that supports these enormous games with tons of content and ongoing development. WoW is such a juggernaut that it essentially sucked all the air out of the genre - even today it has like 5 or 6 times more players than the biggest MMO at its peak.

Enosh

I didn't watch all of the video, just a bit (and can't find it now again, even looked through shady russian sites :p) but I really don't see how this looks like WoW

the art style is different and the gampleay seems completely different, aim abilities instead of tab targeting, cursor on screen for aiming, I think it works ala skyrim where right click and left click are attacks didn't see an action bar?

so yeah looked like skyrim gameplay in an mmo with worse graphics to me

edit: duh thanks for the above, knew it had to be somewhere it's the internet after all ^^

I'm really interested in the social aspects of this game. I want it to be more social than WoW and ToR, but given the IP it might not be. :/

Luminous_Reaver

Neo Member
I think if the team developing this is receiving and listening to good feedback there might be a good game in the works here. Also when I mean good feedback, I mean college level essays addressing areas which feels unsatisfying and provide explanations and suggestions citing other games which do those things successfully and what makes those examples succeed and so forth. ...You should have to write an essay to get accepted into a closed beta. I mean, if you're scouting free help, at least scout good free help.

"Elder Scrolls Online is going to suck" isn't going to change anything. :(

Somnia

I'm a MMO junky and will try it no matter what at launch, but I miss the days of the large sandbox make your own story MMO like EQ1 and UO. We will never get that again exactly, but somewhere closer to that with modern advances would be nice.

I have hope for EQ Next as they are trying something new hopefully based off all the talk. I already like how they canned their original 2 versions due to being too similar to current MMOs and they want to make it more of a sandbox... I can't wait till its unveiled.

poisonelf

I really dislike MMOs, having tried to get in WoW, Age of Conan, and Guild Wars 2 so far and having been bored to tears.

I do however look at them for hours on end each day, being in an internet cafe all the time, and this video didn't look half as bad as most of them.

Yes it's not exciting, but that's how MMOs look. I liked the action-aim combat very much for MMO standards. Perhaps most of the people saying it looks disgusting compare it to action games and haven't tried MMOs?

On the other hand what I do find sad and almost criminal is the fact that it looked generic and didn't seem to draw from the Elder Scrolls style of lands. But that would be unfair to say from a leaked video, perhaps it's just a small, non-important area.

It would just be too insane to not use such a recognizable and varied (not to mention ready made) concept art and styles.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel I should note this game has been in development since 2007, and has had a team in the ~250-300 person range for at least a few years now.

Can they top SWTOR's budget? Who knows!

someone in another forum works on the Alpha and said that the game was not worth mentioning. I wrote it off then.

Are there anymore mirrors up?

Sad this is happening to Elder Scrolls.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
New trailer link anyone?

RoKKeR

I feel I should note this game has been in development since 2007, and has had a team in the ~250-300 person range for at least a few years now.

Can they top SWTOR's budget? Who knows!
Depends if Zenimax can match the marketing push EA made with SWTOR, which is doubtful.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Depends if Zenimax can match the marketing push EA made with SWTOR, which is doubtful.
EA didn't spend a super huge amount given the type of game it is, and ZeniMax advertised Skyrim to the 9's, so I would be surprised if they're not spending in a similar range.

3phemeral

I was excited for this until I saw the WoWifying of the artwork. None of the video links work, so I don't know how much it's progressed since the very first shots were released. Doesn't sound like it has, but I guess if this has been in development for as long as other posters have said, they can't do anything drastic anyway.

Hmm, looks less WoWified. Still kinda meh, but that's expected, I guess, when you're aiming to be an MMO.

BlazinAm

EA didn't spend a super huge amount given the type of game it is, and ZeniMax advertised Skyrim to the 9's, so I would be surprised if they're not spending in a similar range.
What are the possibilities that these MMO games end up on the next generation of consoles? Is that an investment on top of building the game worth having? I'd assume that the game would have to be built and sustained on each platform as there would not be any crossplay.

RoKKeR

Huh, I didn't know they spent so much for Skyrim. Really interested to see how this game is received commercially, and whether or not the name alone will save it. It didn't work for Star Wars.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What are the possibilities that these MMO games end up on the next generation of consoles? Is that an investment on top of building the game worth having? I'd assume that the game would have to be built and sustained on each platform as there would not be any crossplay.

It depends on the policies of the console holder and the difficulty of the port.

I mean FFXIV is heading to PS3 so that's an example of a third party launching one there.

However, they did make decisions during development to help enable this.

Horrifyingly generic and uninteresting. Also does not even take any cues from the Elder Scrolls games in terms of mechanics or world design. There is no reason for this to exist.

Going with the man on top with this one. What a piece of shit game.

I can't believe companies still fund this generic, uninspiring slop.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Didn't know they spent so much for Skyrim. Really interested to see how this game is received, and whether or not the name alone will save it. It didn't work for Star Wars.

A name can get you subscribers/buyers up front, but it can't keep them there.

This is the problem most MMOs face.

I think it's funny that they have 6 must follow rules for name creation, that's more rules then my bank password. Hahaha. Someone on the dev team has a stick up their butt.

D66F4Y9.jpg
haha, shitty interface with grindy achievements in an attempt to increase replayability

Goldmund

I'm not sure this is looking very good. Do we know how old this footage is and how representative of the release build?

EDIT: The mudcrab battle is intense, though.

Top Bottom