• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online gameplay leaked

MooseKing

Banned
Blizzard has said those addons are not entirely accurate in the past.

Regardless of what they said. Anyone can log into the game, at least in North America, and see it virtually empty. Outside of servers like Tich, Illidan, Kil'jaiden and one or two others, it really is empty compared to WOTLK.

Then again, it's not really World of Warcraft anymore. It's World of Menu's. Everything is Menu based now, everything. There is no social interaction in the game, there is no need to explore the world anymore. You sit around, and use menu's to get into content with strangers. You can literally line up the first drop in subscribers to the exact same quarter they released the LFG tool. Since then, they have only added more menu's.

I just dropped by subscription two days ago. My server is top 10 in PVE progression, top 10 with arena ratings, and according to the server info, top 10 in population. There are no Horde, none at all, and Alliance it self feels just dead. Most other people I know who play, if they don't play on one of the big 5, feel the exact same way.

LowerLevel

I frequently listen to ESO Off the Record. According to their interviews, the game has NO cookie cutter classes or builds. If you enjoy fire magic, the more you use it successfully, the better the actual skill will be. Same with any magic or weapon. Any "class" can wear different armors and weapons, so you are not locked into tedium. Although I don't think one will try to use a lower skilled 2-hander in the mid 30's levels. Also, from what I gathered, skills are mostly tied to factions (Mage's guild, Dark Brotherhood, etc) and NOT starting class or race.

http://elderscrollsotr.mymiddleearth.com/

Between the podcast they produce with actual Zenimax employees as guests, or the forum posts, I believe there will be a lot more to the game than some guy who just "jumped in". If anything, I'm more concerned with the massive single server they plan. That, and the factions only play with same faction til 50 is giving me slight pause.

Syril

I like the part where he was ten feet away from all the enemies who were attacking him, but their attacks hit him anyway. Also the part where blocking was useless because it didn't stagger the enemy.

Valnen

Regardless of what they said. Anyone can log into the game, at least in North America, and see it virtually empty. Outside of servers like Tich, Illidan, Kil'jaiden and one or two others, it really is empty compared to WOTLK.

Then again, it's not really World of Warcraft anymore. It's World of Menu's. Everything is Menu based now, everything. There is no social interaction in the game, there is no need to explore the world anymore. You sit around, and use menu's to get into content with strangers. You can literally line up the first drop in subscribers to the exact same quarter they released the LFG tool. Since then, they have only added more menu's.

I just dropped by subscription two days ago. My server is top 10 in PVE progression, top 10 with arena ratings, and according to the server info, top 10 in population. There are no Horde, none at all, and Alliance it self feels just dead. Most other people I know who play, if they don't play on one of the big 5, feel the exact same way.
Yeah okay, people have been posting this sort of thing for years now and I'm not seeing it when I play. People have been saying the game's doomed since it was released.

MooseKing

Banned
Yeah okay, people have been posting this sort of thing for years now and I'm not seeing it when I play. People have been saying the game's doomed since it was released.

WoW has lost, according to Activision-Blizzard's conference call 1/4 it's subscribers. I don't have to say anything.

I wish every mmo could look as good as The Secret World does. If they overhaul the animation system as planned it'll be one of the best looking games on the market, mmo or not.

This looks super generic but I'll give it the alpha/starter area benefit of the doubt for now. Certainly doesn't relieve any of my worries though.

Vorundor

In my eyes, games like EverQuest and Ultima are the quintessential examples of MMO design. They're worlds first, where the player creates a story for him or herself to follow, as opposed to games first, where the developer gives you your story.

THANK YOU!!! No game has recreated this yet, none. Let us wander the world and see what we find, let us live in it and decide what adventures should we have. I don't think this will ever happen again however, now all MMOs have a leach you are always attached to. There is no sense of local communities in MMOs anymore, there is no "Tunnel" like in Bristlebane server for EQ, where people would congregate to trade and hang out, now you have auction houses, there is no sense of player driven economy aside from selling wares, I remember making money porting people to places or as a Bard you could be a taxi service that would run people through zones faster. Heck, if you were able to cast Clarity 3, you could make a pretty plat off of that too. Different ways to make the world your own, now everything is automated.

No more do you need to interact with people unless you are going to a predetermined dungeon run and even then you only interact enough to ask for a heal or to tell someone to go "there". Single player Elder Scrolls games had that still, minus the communal aspects but the sense of wonder was there. Now I just pop open the in-game version of the internet and see what to do. Alas, attention spans now a day aren't what they used to be.

spirity

THANK YOU!!! No game has recreated this yet, none. Let us wander the world and see what we find, let us live in it and decide what adventures should we have. I don't think this will ever happen again however, now all MMOs have a leach you are always attached to. There is no sense of local communities in MMOs anymore, there is no "Tunnel" like in Bristlebane server for EQ, where people would congregate to trade and hang out, now you have auction houses, there is no sense of player driven economy aside from selling wares, I remember making money porting people to places or as a Bard you could be a taxi service that would run people through zones faster. Heck, if you were able to cast Clarity 3, you could make a pretty plat off of that too. Different ways to make the world your own, now everything is automated.

No more do you need to interact with people unless you are going to a predetermined dungeon run and even then you only interact enough to ask for a heal or to tell someone to go "there". Single player Elder Scrolls games had that still, minus the communal aspects but the sense of wonder was there. Now I just pop open the in-game version of the internet and see what to do. Alas, attention spans now a day aren't what they used to be.

Small world, I was on Bristlebane too.

derder

I frequently listen to ESO Off the Record. According to their interviews, the game has NO cookie cutter classes or builds. If you enjoy fire magic, the more you use it successfully, the better the actual skill will be. Same with any magic or weapon. Any "class" can wear different armors and weapons, so you are not locked into tedium. Although I don't think one will try to use a lower skilled 2-hander in the mid 30's levels. Also, from what I gathered, skills are mostly tied to factions (Mage's guild, Dark Brotherhood, etc) and NOT starting class or race.

http://elderscrollsotr.mymiddleearth.com/

Between the podcast they produce with actual Zenimax employees as guests, or the forum posts, I believe there will be a lot more to the game than some guy who just "jumped in". If anything, I'm more concerned with the massive single server they plan. That, and the factions only play with same faction til 50 is giving me slight pause.
omg

Madouu

Meh, if I'm exploring ruins I don't expect them to be cleaner than a hotel room. The walls and structures should feel as though they've been there for an eternity, there should be markings on the walls from previous scavengers, sand should block even the most obvious passageways... Sure the game looks fine enough for me but it also feels soulless. These things I could forgive these kind of games a few years ago but I think we've come to expect more from an MMO's visual design now. It's a pretty general complaint too. One of the rare games that does this right is The secret world.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
That doesn't look very interesting, not at all, and really quite uninspired. When every MMO but WoW is moving to F2P or is already there these days, are they actually expecting a lot of people to subscribe to this just on its name?

Sounds interesting in a bad way. Is it going to be 10,000 people fighting for one quest mob, huge-ass massive zones with lots of pointless running, or just everything instanced/channeled off?

I don't doubt everything will be instanced otherwise it would end up just being a cluster fuck of people not being able to do anything. STO for instance is just one server but everything is instanced off, I really wouldn't worry about it being one server and I don't see it hitting WoW numbers.

spirity

Meh, if I'm exploring ruins I don't expect them to be cleaner than a hotel room. The walls and structures should feel as though they've been there for an eternity, there should be markings on the walls from previous scavengers, sand should block even the most obvious passageways... Sure the game looks fine enough for me but it also feels soulless. These things I could forgive these kind of games a few years ago but I think we've come to expect more from an MMO's visual design now. It's a pretty general complaint too. One of the rare games that does this right is The secret world.

That was one of my complaints about Vanguard. A lot of cities and areas looked like they were built yesterday. Art assets and architecture had no sense of history, everything had a fresh coat of paint on it.

spirity

Is Jeremy Soule composing the OST?

http://elderscrollsotr.mymiddleeart...confirmed-to-be-involved-with-eso-soundtrack/

But if you look at one of the comments:

John March 27, 2013 at 8:09 am #

From Jeremy Soule’s Private Facebook:

For those that have written me asking if I am working on any games right now, or if I have written scores for any upcoming games, the answer is no. Other than a marketing trailer theme for an upcoming project (and I am not composing for the game itself), Guild Wars 2 and (some of) World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria are my most recent work. The next music you’ll hear from me will be The Northerner… As far as games, it is a bit of a quiet period which made for a perfect time to pursue the symphony.

And then in the comments he wrote this:
I will say that I am working on several feature films. These are all theatrical releases so stay tuned…

ZiZ

I had high hopes for this game.
I'll probably play it if it goes f2p.

For now I have my sights on Final Fantasy 14 and Wildstar.
protip: you can tell how much effort was put in an MMO from viewing the dance animations.

Buft

Neo Member
Its the early level grindfest/learn to play zone, of course it looks boring especially when the video author did everything in his power to make the gameplay look uninteresting, I'll admit that the graphics look awful and voice acting is sub par but until I see some later game content I won't be making any decisions on the final quality of the game.

Bedlam

Well, at least it doesn't look like another WoW-wannabe. That alone makes it more interesting to me than most other mmo's that are coming out these days. Of course I wouldn't actually play any of them. I cherish my real life a little too much.

What? I've been lvling an alt on storm rage this past week and it is anything but empty. Even had a 25 min queue last night.

Sophia

What? I've been lvling an alt on storm rage this past week and it is anything but empty. Even had a 25 min queue last night.

Yeah it's not empty, but you can certainly notice the hit the population took on some servers. Cenarion Circle has only a fraction of the players it had in Wrath/BC, for example.

Yeah it's not empty, but you can certainly notice the hit the population took on some servers. Cenarion Circle has only a fraction of the players it had in Wrath/BC, for example.
Oh I've no doubt pops have gone down. This game is nearly a decade old. I find it amazing it still has what 10m subs? No recent mmo has ever gotten close to that number

The guy playing really seemed to have too much red bull in his veins.
I would have liked to see some sword and board aside from staves to see if the combat was any better than the rock em sock em robots every TES game has. Seriously, how can they not fix the combat to a game like this in 20 fucking 13 when games like dark messiah did it years ago.

Sophia

Oh I've no doubt pops have gone down. This game is nearly a decade old. I find it amazing it still has what 10m subs? No recent mmo has ever gotten close to that number

I can believe that some servers are outright dead. The lowest 30 or so probably have few or no players.

To give you an idea of how bad... Azshara-US has around 300 active raiders. Whopping total of two guilds, only one of which has made it past the first boss in the current tier of content.

As for the Elder Scroll Footage.... I'd like to see better actual gameplay. The guy in the video is making it look far worse than it actually is. It looks janky, no doubt, but it's not outright bad and it's trying something different from being a WoW or Guild Wars clone.

Looks no where near as bad as people are saying (GAF!~) but it does look horribly bland, and void of what makes the Elder Scrolls games so magnificent.

Just a cash in fed on how popular Oblivion and Skyrim have made the series this generation.

C'mon guys this is also a video we werent supposed to see played by a guy named Worst You Tube that didnt know how to play and it seemed his purpose was to bash the game and get attention, and thats what he got. Im not saying this game will end up being awesome, but let's give it a chance and play a more polished beta before bashing it... remember DmC, Tomb Raider and so on...

Graphics and visuals will probably improve a lot. It's weird because some previews actually said the visuals were great. One of the things the majority of the press complained, and maybe was showed on this video, is that you dont have a lot of spells and combat options on the first few levels. If he really only had one spell - the small fireball - then this is really a major fault. Anyway I wanted to see a melee class to see how it works and if you actually have to block/dodge.

Give the game some more time and dont jump to conclusions because of one video that shouldn't even exist. Thats why publishers made it a close beta, since there are a lot of problems and hey dont want anyone from the general public commenting on it and getting this kind of negative press that will stick to the game until its released.

Indeed. I was on a medium server since vanilla that slowly got dominated by the horde. Alliance has pretty much been dead on it since the final months of WOTLK, which IMO is when the game died. Expansions always revive interest and bring old faces back, but within a few months it always returns to a slow funeral procession. I haven't played in months. The game is dying, and introducing new environments isn't going to change that.

I wish Blizzard would just either merge smaller servers or give new and old players an incentive to join small servers. It sucked being on a small/medium 70% horde server as alliance.

Anyway ESO...looks bad but most MMOs do at this stage so it has plenty of time to improve. Still I don't see it making much of an impact or selling well regardless. It'll be f2p within a few months.

Top Bottom