• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online gameplay leaked

Reikon

Übermatik;53868954 said:
Wow, that looks awful... What have they done to the graphics? Unless this guy is playing on low settings... wow.

Nope. He messes with options early on and you can see he has everything set to high.

Mandoric

Banned
Looks like a lot of other MMOs, i dont see the problem honestly. Graphics are alright for a game like this.

Most games that are on the market either a) launched in the mid-00s and still retain the original engine and many assets or b) launched in the past couple years on a F2P model that discourages hiring artists up front and encourages making base gear look so shitty it makes people buy cash shop clothes.

There needs to be a hook. System is one and action elements are standard at this point. Visuals are another and, eh, not here. License is a third, but that didn't help SWTOR. Reputation is a fourth, but again, see SWTOR.

Unless you've got a truly captive market, pushing ahead with a big-budget MMO right now is lunacy. Even if you do, it's a very risky bet.

Raide

FFS Developers. Just stop trying to reinvent the WoW. No amount of pushing the Elderscrolls name is going to elevate this game beyond the horrific and generic mess that it already is.

Sethos

Banned
Imagine being one of the developers or anyone with anything tied to that game financially, then you stumble on this thread or the YouTube comments.

Shitty day.

Mxrz

I can't help it.

The thought of having all of Tamriel open to explore is incredibly hard to resist. Just imagine expansions set in Akavir or Thras, too. Gah! Hopefully the game will suck so bad nobody will play it and everyone can get onto the next proper ES set in Black Marsh.

Raide

Imagine being one of the developers or anyone with anything tied to that game financially, then you stumble on this thread or the YouTube comments.

Shitty day.

Agreed but at some point you have to sit back and think "We are making a shitty game" or you just think of the money and fire it out regardless. Will be one of those games people will miss from their Resume's.

Sethos

Banned
You know you've got a unique game on your hands when you can make comparisons like that.

1gdxls.png

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, that guy just stumbled around at that starter beach, killing the equivalent of rats and going through options n stuff.

But yeah, it looks boring and uninspired as hell and will probably end up to be TOR all over again. Oh well, GW2 will be there for my MMO fix for a while.

i think you guys are judging it way too harshly. The guy playing fucks about for most of the video.. fiddling with shit, running in circles, autoattacking mudcrabs like a nutcase. When something interesting happens near the end (the quest with the book and the scorpion key) he decides to play around with a bedroll and sleep until the video finishes.

ill wait for better videos to base a judgement off of, thanks.

Yeah, you can't judge an MMO if all you got is some leaked Alpha or early Beta footage of some random guy running around and not actually playing the game, because he obviously doesn't care about it at all or even wants it to look bad for some additional attention.

The visuals look pretty bad, yes, but there is literally nothing gameplay related anyone can learn from this leak alone. And unless you guys are trying to prove Yerli right, that doesn't say a lot about the general quality of the game.

I am not saying this game is going to turn out great. I actually doubt it. But most of the comments in here are so unfair it's outright stupid. Then again, I suspect most of them come from posters who just don't like the genre and would hate it no matter how good it turns out to be.

I guess this is the reason betas are under NDA but man do that look nothing like a Elders Scrolls game, just a ugly looking MMO.

Vorundor

Wow, so lame. I was expecting Skyrim with online support. Keep the same graphical fidelity and just add in some Co-op like elements. Honestly, if I had Skyrim as is with a way to have friends join in, I think the quests and world work just fine for a pseudo MMO.

This game however, I wouldn't pay to play. Buy to play, sure, but not for a monthly fee.

Trickster

Looks like an elaborate fake more than a serious attempt at an elder scrolls mmo.

Though I will say that looking at "leaked" footage of what is probably a very early and rough build is probably not gonna be representitive of the actual game when itt releases.

Midou

I guess this is the reason betas are under NDA but man do that look nothing like a Elders Scrolls game, just a ugly looking MMO.

Even as a beta though, I doubt those awful art assets are likely to change much by launch. Such is the problem with having an MMO I guess.

Vorundor

Looks like an elaborate fake more than a serious attempt at an elder scrolls mmo.

Though I will say that looking at "leaked" footage of what is probably a very early and rough build is probably not gonna be representitive of the actual game when itt releases.

I've been through enough Alpha/Beta builds of games to know that at launch there isnt much change to the overall feel of the game. They might change some mechanics but whatever it is you got to play during Beta/Alpha is pretty much what you get at the end.

MooseKing

Banned
Well SWTOR had its shot and failed to uncrown the king. You're up next Bethesda!

Nobody is trying to uncrown WoW. SWTOR is really the only game that ever tried. ESO openly says they aren't.

WoW itself is dying a slow death, but will never go away. Down over 3 million players and dropping. NA servers outside of a few are all but completely dead.

ESO looks really bad though.

Nokterian

Nobody is trying to uncrown WoW. SWTOR is really the only game that ever tried. ESO openly says they aren't.

WoW itself is dying a slow death, but will never go away. Down over 3 million players and dropping. NA servers outside of a few are all but completely dead.

ESO looks really bad though.

Eh sorry to say but 10 million ish people are still playing WoW to this day.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
tough mudcrab, or toughest mudcrab?

Just imagine living in a fantasy world, in a what seems to be well built, huge, prospering city at the beach, with those things living just a few feet away from you. You can't kill them with less than 10 freaking fireballs, let alone just step on them, they attack you as soon as they feel annoyed by you, they will hunt you and only one of them can kill you easily. And it's not only one, it's droves of them killer maneating mudcrabs. Right beside your beautiful city.
Which you can't build anywhere else since animals everywhere else are even MORE dangerous.

MMO lands are fucking insane.

MooseKing

Banned
I've been through enough Alpha/Beta builds of games to know that at launch there isnt much change to the overall feel of the game. They might change some mechanics but whatever it is you got to play during Beta/Alpha is pretty much what you get at the end.

I have been getting into beta's and alphas for the past 8-10 years or so. Any MMO released in the past 4-5 years, never had a true alpha/beta like back in the day. They are glorified demo's which is why nothing changes.

Recently this has been changing though, and developers are going back to actual alpha and beta stages.

Planetside 2 for example, was almost a completely different game from alpha to launch. Outside of the shooting (which also changed), everything about the game was altered including the map.

WildStar, which just let 1000 people in the beta, is also a true beta. Complete with unfinished models, and the whole deal. They go out of there way to say this is an old-school beta and they need testers.

MooseKing

Banned
Eh sorry to say but 10 million ish people are still playing WoW to this day.

No they aren't. During Activisions share holder call it was down to 9 million, including people in Asia who do not pay to play the game. They said the number is still dropping, but they have a new strategy of releasing content faster to keep players into the game. Of those 9 million (probbly un the 8 million now), many of those people pay but don't play the game, or pay but play twice a month or so.

WoW will never die, ever, but it is nowhere near the game it used to be. Half as many raid guilds 1/4 as many raid teams, nobody runs RBG's outside of two servers, and on most servers 1 faction is almost completely dead according to server data.

Alienous

There's some nice features, like the first-person camera and your character putting his hands to his mouth when shouting in the chat-box.

Nobody found it cool when that other player helped defeat the wolves?

Valnen

Is Blizzard really the only company competent enough to make an MMO with mass western appeal? It really seems like it.

Half as many raid guilds 1/4 as many raid teams, nobody runs RBG's outside of two servers, and on most servers 1 faction is almost completely dead according to server data.
Data released by Blizzard or collected by players? Data not released by Blizzard means nothing.

SJRB

Gold Member

Shitty day.

I was just thinking about this. I mean, the game has been in development for, what, 7 years now? Surely by now most of the team must realise this game is not shaping up the way they would've liked?

Or could they have lost all objectivity after working on a game for 7 years? Because working on any single project for 7 years is just insane.

spirity

An Elder Scrolls MMO ought to be a sandbox. While Skyrim has introduced elements of WoW's design into its game, that is not the right direction for an Elder Scrolls game, in either single player or mmo variants.

In my eyes, games like EverQuest and Ultima are the quintessential examples of MMO design. They're worlds first, where the player creates a story for him or herself to follow, as opposed to games first, where the developer gives you your story.

So disappointing to see the Elder Scrolls name attached to this game. As soon as I saw the player shoot a fireball at the npc, and it do NOTHING, I didn't need to see anything else. More locked down, sterile, by-the-numbers bullshit, the sort that we've been fed for years now since WoW championed it.

3 months and its dead.

MooseKing

Banned
Is Blizzard really the only company competent enough to make an MMO with mass western appeal? It really seems like it.

Data released by Blizzard or collected by players? Data not released by Blizzard means nothing.

Subscriber numbers all released by BLizzard.

Server numbers were obtained by putting two people (one per faction) with a custom addon on every single server in the game. Then collecting data over the course of two months. If you did not log in, in two months, you did not count towards the server data. It is very accurate.

Blizzards World of Warcraft API gives up to date and accurate information on guilds and PVP teams. So all that info is from Blizzard.

Aaron

Maybe they don't have higher quality assets in that build and the options mean nothing, but it's certainly not that guy's fault.
The final release will probably have higher resolution textures to keep the size of the beta down, but the lighting and geometry, which are terrible, won't change.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I know why MMOs have to look and animate the way they do, but dear god. First company to fix that shit will get my money.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
That looks pretty horrible, but I think most MMOs look boring as fuck to watch, so I'll reserve judgement until I'm playing it.

Vorundor

I have been getting into beta's and alphas for the past 8-10 years or so. Any MMO released in the past 4-5 years, never had a true alpha/beta like back in the day. They are glorified demo's which is why nothing changes.

Recently this has been changing though, and developers are going back to actual alpha and beta stages.

Planetside 2 for example, was almost a completely different game from alpha to launch. Outside of the shooting (which also changed), everything about the game was altered including the map.

WildStar, which just let 1000 people in the beta, is also a true beta. Complete with unfinished models, and the whole deal. They go out of there way to say this is an old-school beta and they need testers.

Agreed.

Valnen

Server numbers were obtained by putting two people (one per faction) with a custom addon on every single server in the game. Then collecting data over the course of two months. If you did not log in, in two months, you did not count towards the server data. It is very accurate.

Blizzard has said those addons are not entirely accurate in the past.

I know why MMOs have to look and animate the way they do, but dear god. First company to fix that shit will get my money.

Animation is one reason why WoW is still pleasing on the eyes. Everything animates smoothly and fluidly for the most part, even at relatively low framerates. Something other devs seem to have trouble accomplishing in this genre. Why is that?

Top Bottom