• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

I should have just reset my save. What I could have saved in time totally outweighs what I had in stock.

I am going to try another high tech place.

owlbeak

Did they change the hi res screenshot button? I hit alt+F10 and all my pictures are coming out with crushed blacks and look very strange. :[

Edit: Actually it just seems to be the windows 10 photo viewer crushing my pictures color levels. Opened it in photoshop and it looks fine. Weird.

Still not finding any POIs from flying in the ship. I've found some materials on the ground in the SRV and collected them. Found a red box with a drone flying around that I shot down and got a bounty. I don't understand the "Tresspass zones". But still, not seeing anything from the ship. Do you need to be in orbital cruise or below?

owlbeak

I am loving this so much. It's like my dream game now and I am so happy. :D
2c9uq8.jpg

3lyu58.jpg

Found this system with two moons that orbit each other in 0.6 days. Landed just as an eclipse was happening.

5pngrmsrg.png

4pngisskp.png

6b2st7.png

Sarcasm

I am about to go play something else. I can sell or swap out cargo rack to install the hanger module (that took me awhile to find).

It is probably something easy I am missing but the UI/system is pretty obtuse. I don't want to spend an hour trying to install something.

owlbeak

I am about to go play something else. I can sell or swap out cargo rack to install the hanger module (that took me awhile to find).

It is probably something easy I am missing but the UI/system is pretty obtuse. I don't want to spend an hour trying to install something.
You don't have to put it in the cargo module, you just have to have a free module to place it in. So you may have to trade something else out for the hanger bay. For instance, I replaced my Field Maintenance Unit with the Vehicle hanger bay.

Sarcasm

You don't have to put it in the cargo module, you just have to have a free module to place it in. So you may have to trade something else out for the hanger bay. For instance, I replaced my Field Maintenance Unit with the Vehicle hanger bay.

Thing is I can't swap or sell anything to fit it on. Everything is red, no real explaination why I can't sell my 3 cargo racks..I mean FFS!

4 hours for nothing. Haven't even landed on a plane because I can't sell my cargo racks >.>

That is only where I see the hanger in (in red of course). Cause rack is in use!!! Yes I know ffs..how to sell or swap itttttttttt. I can't do that for any of the racks I have -.-

owlbeak

Thing is I can't swap or sell anything to fit it on. Everything is red, no real explaination why I can't sell my 3 cargo racks..I mean FFS!

4 hours for nothing. Haven't even landed on a plane because I can't sell my cargo racks >.>

That is only where I see the hanger in (in red of course). Cause rack is in use!!! Yes I know ffs..how to sell or swap itttttttttt. I can't do that for any of the racks I have -.-
Have you tried to swap out something other than your cargo rack? All of the modules should show the same buy list when you click on them when you are in the "internal" tab.

Edit: was about to say, like Felix said, do you have any current cargo?

Sarcasm

Just before you said that..I realized >.<

I had cargo heh! I probably should sell other rack and get a shield.

Now how do I do this planet thing (I watched the video it was helpful)? Like find missions? Does a circle that is dotted mean its on other side of planet?

owlbeak

Just before you said that..I realized >.<

I had cargo heh! I probably should sell other rack and get a shield.

Now how do I do this planet thing (I watched the video it was helpful)? Like find missions? Does a circle that is dotted mean its on other side of planet?
:]

Yeap! Dotted circle means it's on the opposite side.

RedSwirl

You'll want the farthest jump range to minimize your travel time. Decreasing your ship's mass (all ships' hulls and modules have specified masses) and fitting a higher-rated Frameshift Drive (FSD) are the two ways to boost your jump range. Taking this into account, your best option for an exploration ship right out of the gate is a Hauler. It's one of the lightest and cheapest ships--almost an even swap from your Sidewinder.

Modules come in a number of classes and ratings. The classes are numbered and increase in size/mass as the numbers increase. Each internal slot in your ship is numbered, which denotes the maximum class size module that can be fitted there. The ratings are E through A, though they don't necessarily get "better" throughout the range--it depends on what you want to do. D-rated modules are the lightest in their class, so a well-outfitted exploration ship will be fitted with mostly D-rated modules. You'll want to keep your power plant an A-rated module (thankfully, these are also the second lightest in their class) because they run cooler and will help keep you from overheating during extended fuel scooping, or, heaven forbid, you jump into a close binary system and find yourself a bit too close to one of the stars. You'll also want an A-rated FSD as soon as possible, which will give you the greatest jump range. B-rated modules are the heaviest and aside from the FSD should be avoided entirely for exploration builds.

Coriolis.io is a great site for getting to grips with all the outfitting options, and that link will show you what you'd want for a basic exploration Hauler. The 1.8 million total cost is mostly on account of the advanced discovery scanner, which isn't a necessity, but highly recommended (it will show you all bodies in the system, whereas the basic/intermediate scanners will only reveal bodies within a specific range of your ship). The 200k detailed surface scanner is, however, a necessity, and it will pay for itself quite quickly, as it greatly increases your profits from exploration data sales. To use it, simply target a celestial body and fly close enough to it in supercruise for the scan to begin automatically. Scanning distances depend on size of the object, so stars will scan from much farther away than planets and moons. This type of scan is also how you get your name tagged on first discoveries, though you'll need to travel a good distance away from colonized space to start finding those (roughly 1k light years before you're practically guaranteed to find them). Systems can still be "unexplored" for you despite other commanders discovering them first, but no worries--you'll still be able to sell that exploration data for the normal price. You'll get a 50% bonus in credits for selling data for completely undiscovered objects, and it's only after you sell the data that your name will be tagged to them on the system map. Completely unexplored objects will be shown as such on the system map, but they'll have no "Discovered by" tag.

Don't bother scanning asteroid belts--they're not worth any credits and give you no first discovery bonus.

Fuel scoops are a necessity, since there are no stations out in the uncolonized void at which to refuel--you have to get all your juice from scoopable stars (only O, B, A, F, G, K, and M type stars are fuel-scoopable). The scoops have no weight, so they won't hinder your jump range, and their scooping rates increase per their letter rating per class, as do their prices. Be careful with this--a Class 3 D-rated fuel scoop will gather fuel faster than a Class 2 A-rated scoop, but the latter will be exponentially more expensive on account of its rating. Always shop for fuel scoops by their scooping rate rather than their letter rating.

You won't need weapons outside of the colonized "bubble" of space as it's very lonely out there, but shields may be helpful when you return, just for some defense against interdictions.

There are tons of other considerations, but these are the basics. Good luck out there! Go find a black hole. The Eskimo Nebula would be a good place to start. o7

Okay, so after fighting a few wanted guys near a nav point I was able to earn around 77,000cr. I bought a Hauler which has left me with 25,000. I'm now docked in a station looking at outfitting. So I'm mainly supposed to go for lighter parts right? I don't quite understand all the slots I have for outfitting yet, but it looks like I'll have to give up a cargo bay for the fuel scoop, or am I mistaken? And you say I'll need two scanners? I can understand replacing the basic planet scanner for a more advanced one, but where would the surface scanner go?

I'm probably going to stick with the hauler until I can make enough to afford an Asp.

Hylian7

I like the variation in planetside station designs. I just saw a really cool one with the landing pads all in a circle around some tall buildings in the middle.

Sarcasm

I couldn't find any missions and I went to a random planet. Though I could dock at this place but then they started shooting at me! ha! I booked it away to a nearby place.

Figured out how to land, drove around and it was fun. I just couldn't find any missions...

(Why can't I host the screenshots anywhere!?!?)

Okay, so after fighting a few wanted guys near a nav point I was able to earn around 77,000cr. I bought a Hauler which has left me with 25,000. I'm now docked in a station looking at outfitting. So I'm mainly supposed to go for lighter parts right? I don't quite understand all the slots I have for outfitting yet, but it looks like I'll have to give up a cargo bay for the fuel scoop, or am I mistaken? And you say I'll need two scanners? I can understand replacing the basic planet scanner for a more advanced one, but where would the surface scanner go?

I'm probably going to stick with the hauler until I can make enough to afford an Asp.
Yeah, you'll need to give up either shields or the cargo bay to fit all the exploration essentials on the Hauler, since it only has 4 internal slots open for various modules (the other slots can only fit the modules for which they're designed). I'd recommend keeping the shields until you're more comfortable in space.

You'll definitely need the two scanners for the biggest return on your exploration data since the surface scanner is totally different than the discovery scanner. The discovery scanners tell you where the objects are, and the surface scanner tells you more about each specific object. Without the detailed surface scanner, you can still do a surface scan (target a celestial body and approach it closely, and the scan will begin automatically when you're in range) to get additional info on the object. However, installing the detailed surface scanner gives you even more info on those scans, and makes the data 30% more valuable when selling to stations.

Since the detailed surface scanner will pay for itself and then some, I'd make it my first priority. I'd make the advanced discovery scanner my next priority, as it will reduce the time you'll spend flying around a system popping off discovery scans to find things. Pick up the lightweight D-rated modules along the way as you can, and round it out with the 2A FSD, at which point you'll be all set for a serious deep space journey.

I'll be real, though--exploration is the slowest way to gain money. You really need to love space to get the most enjoyment out of it. In the beginning, you may want to stick around the bubble in your Hauler and do some cargo-running missions while you explore to help increase your cash flow a little. If you stored your Sidewinder rather than selling it, getting back in it and killing some more baddies will help speed up the Hauler build significantly.

MayMay

Banned
Earned about 100k credits and was faced with my first choice.. do I buy a Hauler or an Adder. I ended up getting the adder, which wasnt a mistake. Made another 500k credits doing bounties and smuggling.

Now.. time to save for something way way bigger :>

Edit: Does anyone know if the discount on Horizons for current Elite owners only applies to pre-orders, or is it gonna stay that way even after its released? Because I'm thinking about getting it.. havent lost interest in Elite yet, after a couple of hours, which is a good sign.

JambiBum

Earned about 100k credits and was faced with my first choice.. do I buy a Hauler or an Adder. I ended up getting the adder, which wasnt a mistake. Made another 500k credits doing bounties and smuggling.

Edit: Does anyone know if the discount on Horizons for current Elite owners only applies to pre-orders, or is it gonna stay that way even after its released? Because I'm thinking about getting it.. havent lost interest in Elite yet, after a couple of hours, which is a good sign.

AFAIK they said that the deal would last for a little bit after it releases, but they didn't say for how long

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What size module does the hangar bay need? My Asp is full up, I need to figure out what I'll need to sacrifice for it.

I think the smallest is 2.

Yep, there are two hangar sizes: Class 2 Hangar which holds one SRV, and Class 4 Hangar which holds two SRV's.

With my Asp I plan on selling off one of my AFU's (I have two now) and replacing it with a C2 Hangar. Since I'll be able to restock that one AFU out in deep space by exploring with the SRV I really won't be needing the second AFU anymore. I'd like to put a Class 4 Hangar in but I'd have to either sacrifice my 5D shields or my 6B fuel scoop, and I'm not giving either of those up! So I'll just have to be very careful with my one and only SRV while I'm out in deep space.

The Adder is a cool ship. My ship history went Sidewinder -> Eagle -> Adder -> Cobra III -> Type 6 -> Asp. I flew a Vyper for a bit too but didn't care for it. Now I also own a Vulture and a Clipper too, but my Asp is still my main ship and the one I fly 90% of the time. Eventually I'll be replacing my Asp with an Anaconda as they also make really good exploration and multipurpose ships, but I need a LOT more credits to do that.

Yep, there are two hangar sizes: Class 2 Hangar which holds one SRV, and Class 4 Hangar which holds two SRV's.

With my Asp I plan on selling off one of my AFU's (I have two now) and replacing it with a C2 Hangar. Since I'll be able to restock that one AFU out in deep space by exploring with the SRV I really won't be needing the second AFU anymore. I'd like to put a Class 4 Hangar in but I'd have to either sacrifice my 5D shields or my 6B fuel scoop, and I'm not giving either of those up! So I'll just have to be very careful with my one and only SRV while I'm out in deep space.

Yeah the combination of landing to find materials and crafting AFUs and the Frameshift boosters makes deep space exploration a more interesting proposition for me. If only I could have 2 active characters, I'd keep a character in deep space to see how long and self sufficient I could last. The problem remains that once you're out there, you are out there.

I'm sure in a situation like that you would feel the gravitational pull of the planet as you rotated on the moon. You'd slightly get heavier and lighter and pulled from side to side all in a noticeable span of time.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yeah the combination of landing to find materials and crafting AFUs and the Frameshift boosters makes deep space exploration a more interesting proposition for me. If only I could have 2 active characters, I'd keep a character in deep space to see how long and self sufficient I could last. The problem remains that once you're out there, you are out there.

That's what I love about exploration!

A bit after Horizons launches I'm heading out for the galaxy core with the Distant Worlds Expedition group, and then proceeding straight for the far rim, 65,000+ light years from Sol. When I return it should hopefully be enough to get me Elite Explorer, seeing as how exploring typically nets about 1-2 million per 1000 LY.

I was trying to decide if I should buy a Corvette during the beta but instead I decided to buy a Cobra (Cobra MKIII, not even the new one), ha. The Cobra remains my favorite looking ship in this game but I haven't flown one since I transitioned to Vulture/ASP then FDL/Python, I figured since I'm screwing around on land more than anything in the beta, why not? I forgot how effective thrusters are on these smaller ships. Feels so good to fly.

I really hope the fact that the SRV can't be refueled from your ship will be addressed before Horizons releases. You depend on the SRV to gather materials, but it drinks fuel and you're not guaranteed to find the materials necessary to synthesize its fuel, so deep space exploration with the SRV can be quite limited at the moment. That's no good. We should definitely be able to scoop fuel with our ships and transfer it to the SRV in the absence of fuel synthesis materials.

I was trying to decide if I should buy a Corvette during the beta but instead I decided to buy a Cobra (Cobra MKIII, not even the new one), ha. The Cobra remains my favorite looking ship in this game but I haven't flown one since I transitioned to Vulture/ASP then FDL/Python, I figured since I'm screwing around on land more than anything in the beta, why not? I forgot how effective thrusters are on these smaller ships. Feels so good to fly.
I'm actually about to park my Asp and do the same! I want a smaller ship for landing convenience, and it's so much faster and more maneuverable, which should be quite a boon with the surface flight mechanics. Quite a while since I've been in a Cobra MkIII. Kind of excited now that I have so much cash to build an even better one than I had before, back in my poor space hobo days.

Burny

Woah! Third evening, n-th attempt. My Launcher finally moved past the "downloading manifest" stage to dowloading the beta files.

And it's only saying 193 days remaining! :p

Damn--Obsidian just put out a 1 hour New Player Guide video!

Main Menu: 0:55
Starting Out - Station Services, Maps etc: 4:27
First Time in Space (Supercruise and Hyperspace): 14:55
Docking: 20:00
Exploration Basics: 24:19
Combat (Bounty Hunting): 31:04
Outfitting: 35:43
Finding Bounty Hunting Grounds (Resource Extraction Sites): 41:59
Combat in Asteroid Fields: 45:30

NEW PLAYERS: Obsidian is a great YT commentator for Elite. Haven't watched this myself yet, but I'm sure it's top notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom