• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBo42

After the initial glow of the beta has faded a bit, I see that it's yet another super shallow addition to an extremely shallow game. I realize they have to do new things to gain interest and sell copies in order to actually fund the development but fuck... Wish SOMETHING in this game was fully fleshed out. It's just frustrating at this point.

After the initial glow of the beta has faded a bit, I see that it's yet another super shallow addition to an extremely shallow game. I realize they have to do new things to gain interest and sell copies in order to actually fund the development but fuck... Wish SOMETHING in this game was fully fleshed out. It's just frustrating at this point.

Not having beta access, can you elaborate?

Wreav

Banned
I can kind of see where he's coming from. What little there is to do in the SRV is quite repetitive planet to planet. This is very much a foundation building update in my opinion. Cities are cool the first time you see them but then you realize that they are just empty, lifeless paper husks. We desperately need the ability to get out of our spacecraft, but of course the update that brings that will again be another foundation building exercise. I think the frustration is that after two years we are still commenting on how elite is mostly foundations for bigger and better things in our imaginations.

Things that are really game changing like being able to spacewalk, fly through atmospheres, walk around space stations, crew each others ships, etc will only happen once all the foundations have been fully built. I see at least 2 more years of table setting for this game before it becomes rich, vibrant, and deep.

It absolutely adds depth to exploration that was desperately needed and there seems to be a focus to do more in that direction for now. It does help flesh out that aspect of the game in a very welcoming way.

Wreav

Banned
It absolutely adds depth to exploration that was desperately needed and there seems to be a focus to do more in that direction for now. It does help flesh out that aspect of the game in a very welcoming way.

In a somewhat superficial way, but yes I agree. Nothing will be better than being the first person to land on a planet that you are the first to discover. In many way, landings are a glorified "photo mode" at the moment, but like I said, the foundation for much bigger things in the future.

Side note, Rift 0.8 SDK now functional somehow with mirroring mode!

DrBo42

I can kind of see where he's coming from. What little there is to do in the SRV is quite repetitive planet to planet. This is very much a foundation building update in my opinion. Cities are cool the first time you see them but then you realize that they are just empty, lifeless paper husks. We desperately need the ability to get out of our spacecraft, but of course the update that brings that will again be another foundation building exercise. I think the frustration is that after two years we are still commenting on how elite is mostly foundations for bigger and better things in our imaginations.

Things that are really game changing like being able to spacewalk, fly through atmospheres, walk around space stations, crew each others ships, etc will only happen once all the foundations have been fully built. I see at least 2 more years of table setting for this game before it becomes rich, vibrant, and deep.

Yeah of course it's another foundation update. In a game of foundations. Don't get me wrong, landing on planets is great but really doesn't add much of anything to exploration outside of materials. There's no data to be gained, no real purpose to be down there. Yes, those things will come but I don't think we'll get them before we get ANOTHER foundation update with multi-crews or very basic crafting.

That's my whole problem with Elite, they keep pumping out these very barebones updates with new systems but don't go back in and give the existing ones another pass (outside of mining with limpets etc).

I'm not shitting on Horizons or the game in general but again like I said, it's super frustrating.

Serrato

While I understand it seems (and probably is, I don't have the Beta myself) I think the thing is the way Elite is built they will need to build foundations first.

I would also say that Frontier Dev doesn't seem to have a team of 500 guys churning up things to add to the game (though I might be wrong, I really don't know) and while its not an excuse I think that might be a huge factor.

Basically, we are in for the long ride and it might take time before everything starts to lock in place.

But personally, so far, Horizons even at it's shallow release will give me at least one or two hundred hours of fun easily.

Edit : lol of course it's already all talked about when I post. Oh well.

Menthuss

Yeah of course it's another foundation update. In a game of foundations. Don't get me wrong, landing on planets is great but really doesn't add much of anything to exploration outside of materials. There's no data to be gained, no real purpose to be down there. Yes, those things will come but I don't think we'll get them before we get ANOTHER foundation update with multi-crews or very basic crafting.

That's my whole problem with Elite, they keep pumping out these very barebones updates with new systems but don't go back in and give the existing ones another pass (outside of mining with limpets etc).

I'm not shitting on Horizons or the game in general but again like I said, it's super frustrating.

I was kind of worried that this was the case. Sad to hear it's true :/

DrBo42

While I understand it seems (and probably is, I don't have the Beta myself) I think the thing is the way Elite is built they will need to build foundations first.

I would also say that Frontier Dev doesn't seem to have a team of 500 guys churning up things to add to the game (though I might be wrong, I really don't know) and while its not an excuse I think that might be a huge factor.

Basically, we are in for the long ride and it might take time before everything starts to lock in place.

But personally, so far, Horizons even at it's shallow release will give me at least one or two hundred hours of fun easily.

Edit : lol of course it's already all talked about when I post. Oh well.

I was kind of worried that this was the case. Sad to hear it's true :/

Yeah and that's the whole thing, it'll take years to get to a point where they stop expanding the scope and go back and deepen the systems. I can't recommend the game to friends or try and get them to play because there's no meat to the game. Sure there are those of us that can deal with it to the excess of 500-1000 hours and beyond in the current game but we're such a small minority.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Honestly, as an explorer, I don't care about any of that. Just the fact that I'll now be able to fly my ship through canyons, land my ship in craters, and drive my SRV around huge alien landscapes while looking at the awesome sky at wherever I am in the galaxy, yeah I can't freakin wait. It's like Space Engine with an actual game in it. Sure they could (and will) flesh it out more in time, but for me it's all about exploring. I don't even really care if it pays shit, I love the act of it.

But then I'm the guy who plays hundreds of hours of Minecraft simply exploring landscapes too. Or spends more time walking around in Skyrim than actually doing missions. Or plays GTA just picking up random cars causing mayhem and exploring rather than doing any story stuff at all. So I might just be strange.....

I think being able to touch down on a planet and explore its geography is more than a little thing when the draw to exploration is more or less to do stuff like that. However, yes adding more systems to draw you to the planet surface with a specific purpose would be great. Some system to do preliminary preparation for terraforming on possible candidate planets could be interesting. Maybe take core samples at different points to improve the exploration data. But the key for me, more important than those types of things, is the ability to touch down, and see the planet from such a close perspective.

Serrato

Strange or you don't absolutely seek the logical end to every feature? :p (not that it's a bad thing)

One thing I wanna do with you guys (or any other group) is that we find a cool planet with a nice environment (canyon? cliffs?) and we duke it out in Ships. I'm curious how a dogfight plays with Gravity.

JambiBum

I was thinking about what I would like to see added to Horizons to make it feel more fleshed out and the biggest thing for me is probably having the option to expand settlements.

So as it is now, if a group works for it, you can choose a faction in a system and have them become the controlling faction for that system by building their influence through missions until a civil war or election happens. What I'd like to see is that expand to the settlements. If a system has no large settlements to land at and you manage to build up a faction so that they take over the system and have an economic boom, have that faction build or upgrade a settlement into a city that you can land at. If there is already landable cities, then have that faction take them over (which may already happen, not sure). Also if a system is controlled by a power, have the settlements reflect that through propaganda and decorations.

I really like being able to change the controlling factions in a system (I still make Ho Hsi my home system after taking it over with gaf) and I think that these things would go a long way in expanding that. Imagine choosing a home system and seeing it expand that way over time. It could be great.

Hylian7

I'm loving Horizons so far. Even if there isn't much do "do", driving around on all the varied planets is extremely interesting. I found one the other day that had extremely deep ice canyons. There are some things in it that seem unfinished, and I'm sure will be updated as time goes on. One such example is there is no animation, model, or anything for the cargo scoop on the SRV. You can shoot a rock with resources in it, deploy the scoop, and drive under the floating pieces with them targeted and catch them.

Just noticed the Anaconda radar is fixed. Rejoice.

What was wrong with it? Was it just on planets or what? I need to try out my Anaconda in Horizons.

I'm loving Horizons so far. Even if there isn't much do "do", driving around on all the varied planets is extremely interesting. I found one the other day that had extremely deep ice canyons. There are some things in it that seem unfinished, and I'm sure will be updated as time goes on. One such example is there is no animation, model, or anything for the cargo scoop on the SRV. You can shoot a rock with resources in it, deploy the scoop, and drive under the floating pieces with them targeted and catch them.

That particular thing, I hope they don't change. It's cool that scooping is very physical, manual and requires precision but it also becomes prohibitively tedious. I like being able leap and grab a material without waiting for it to touch the ground and scoop it. Though you're right that it doesn't fit with the rest of the games interactions, which are typically more realistic for lack of a better word.

DrBo42

There was a bug?

What was wrong with it? Was it just on planets or what? I need to try out my Anaconda in Horizons.

The radar wasn't flush with the actual console like in every other ship. The hologram was floating about it a few inches. It's been like that for ages.

attachment.php

Fixed

Hylian7

The radar wasn't flush with the actual console like in every other ship. The hologram was floating about it a few inches. It's been like that for ages.

Fixed

I never actually noticed that.

In this latest Horizons patch, did they remove being able to roll while airborne in the SRV? I noticed moving the steering axis no longer rolls.

DrBo42

In this latest Horizons patch, did they remove being able to roll while airborne in the SRV? I noticed moving the steering axis no longer rolls.

I actually just bugged that. Thought I broke it by hitting something in mid-air.

Roll is now a separate control/input from the steering axis. Should solve issues where it was super easy to tumble when turning.

Wreav

Banned
Yeah and that's the whole thing, it'll take years to get to a point where they stop expanding the scope and go back and deepen the systems. I can't recommend the game to friends or try and get them to play because there's no meat to the game. Sure there are those of us that can deal with it to the excess of 500-1000 hours and beyond in the current game but we're such a small minority.

I think expectations is key. When I backed the Kickstarter, I knew that both Star Citizen and ED would be "full featured" at roughly the same time (late 2017). The difference with the ED model was that they were going to release the base game and add on over time, where SC is going to release a full featured game on day one (I don't consider the alphas that they've release "games").

However, people that weren't involved with ED back then probably didn't know that was the case, and expect a full game for their 60+ dollars. As it stands, Horizons has so little content compared to most DLCs that I truly feel bad for folks that didn't get a lifetime pass in the early days.

JambiBum

I decided to be a bit of a jerk and test out my new FDL loadout on newish players since I'm helping some people learn how to play and am in that area. Eagles and vipers melt to my loadout. Never really noticed how strong it was since I normally fight bigger ships for the money. I'm sorry newbies. I'm so sorry.

Mengy

Eagles and Vipers melt to pretty much any ship above them, honestly.

If you stay in their gunsights, yes, but the strength of the Eagle is it's wonderful maneuverability. On larger ships its not too hard to stay in their blind spot and just whittle them down. One or two good mistakes though can cost you dearly....

If you stay in their gunsights, yes, but the strength of the Eagle is it's wonderful maneuverability. On larger ships its not too hard to stay in their blind spot and just whittle them down. One or two good mistakes though can cost you dearly....

yup ive learned about those one or two small mistakes. never let distance get between your eagle and the other ship. never let them point their nose at you. its all about managing throttle and boost to get and stay behind the bigger ship, and if youre in a resource site, pray that the Feds are on their ass too. (i never attack a larger ship on my own though)

Uthred

Is it possible to pay off Bounties? I'm in the only starport in the system I got the bounty in, I can see the bounty in my Nav panel but under starport options theres no options to pay it off.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is it possible to pay off Bounties? I'm in the only starport in the system I got the bounty in, I can see the bounty in my Nav panel but under starport options theres no options to pay it off.

You can pay off fines, but if you let them sit long enough to turn into bounties then you are stuck with it, for if I remember correctly 7 days.

Mengy

Just a heads up for explorers (or anyone who wants to support me on this).

Although Horizons will be pretty cool for explorers, it also has one huge negative: we'll need to fit one more module on our ships, the SRV Hangar. The Asps and Condas can include them easily but other ships like the DBE for example simply won't have the internal slots to accommodate everything now that a true exploration ship needs. People have been suggesting lots of ways FDev could solve this but I made a post on the suggestion forums with my solution to the issue: make the Detailed Surface Scanner use a utility slot intsead of an internal slot.

My reasons for why this is a great solution:

1) It's the easiest solution for FDev to implement. It doesn't affect ship mass, nor power curves, all FDev has to do is change the module type flag in the game's code for the DSS from "internal" to "utility". It won't impact PvP nor PvE nor combat or trading, it will only provide explorers with more choices when it comes to choosing a ship to explore in.

2) There is precedence in the game for this already. The Kill Scanner for the combat types is already a utility slot, as is the Cargo Scanner for pirates, yet the Detailed Surface Scanner for explorers takes up an internal slot. Even from a continuity point of view the DSS should be a utility component.

3) It fixes the problem with ships like the Diamondback Explorer that simply won't be feasible for exploration after Horizons due to a lack of internals. Moving the DSS over to utility will allow the DBE and other ships to be useful again for real exploring, but still keep them less ideal than the big ships like the Asp and Anaconda.

So if anyone wants to support this idea and make a post in my thread feel free, maybe if it gets enough attention they will consider implementing it:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=206696&p=3190042#post3190042

You can pay off fines, but if you let them sit long enough to turn into bounties then you are stuck with it, for if I remember correctly 7 days.

Bounties are weighted in the beta. The higher the bounty the longer the wait. I just got a 400 cr bounty and it only lasts 9 min. I don't know if that's new or not.

Thanks for the impressions/thoughts on Horizons, everyone.

Alright, so we all know that a lot of the other big features (walking around, atmospheric planets, etc.) won't come until a year or so later.

What do you think can be done, within the next year, to add more depth to the existing gameplay? I have some ideas of my own, but gotta leave work right now.

JambiBum

They changed the way bounties/fines work a while ago. Fines last about 10-20 minutes depending on how much they are. Once the timer runs out they become dormant and you can go to the system that you got it in and pay it off. Bounties last longer and the higher your bounty is the longer it takes before you can pay it off. When a bounty goes dormant you can go back to the system to pay it off, or you can just wait out the timer.

@Anton, I made the post earlier in the day, but if they can expand on settlements the way I want or close to it I'll be pretty happy.

Serrato

Rapidly from my mind :

- NPC Scarabs (duh)

- Conflict Zones/Millitary Strikes/Ressource Extractions zones/etc. on planets. This would change the landscape from the eternals ring bounty farm zones and put Ships in other areas other than the Ports/Settlements

- Wing Missions or ''Raids''. Aka missions that need a Wing to be done and are actually hard to do. (Assault on base, mining huge amounts of whatever, assasinate a guy in a huge fleet, disable a capital ship and it's escort etc. endless ideas)

- I know crafting is gonna be included during Horizons Season, but what is gonna be needed is not only Offensive bonus like the Synthesis thingy but new modules, some with advantages and disadvantages etc.

- Basically new types of Weapons. I wanna see Rapid Fire Rocket Launchers (ala Macross Missile Massacre). Artillery (long range) weapons. Bombs? (Area of attack weapons?) I mean anything that can change from the classic (but effective) lasers and multicannons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom