• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

Damn--Obsidian just put out a 1 hour New Player Guide video!

NEW PLAYERS: Obsidian is a great YT commentator for Elite. Haven't watched this myself yet, but I'm sure it's top notch.

Well damn, there you go.

I'd also recommend Kornelius Briedis: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_8QbBLzUa9ceFNvEAuO7iw

His content is more showing off new features, ship reviews, speculation, and things of that nature, but he has tutorials he will do for stuff, and months ago he did his own new player tutorial video.

FAS costs 5 times what a Vulture does so I'd hope it's better.

Considering the Vulture had been a better combat ship than ships 10x it's price, there's little reason to hope or assume anything where FDev is concerned.

After all, they're about to add a ship that is the most expensive in the game, yet poorest at its stated role of any big ship.

So.

Hylian7

If you land on a planet with a huge ice canyon, you better have a plan to get out of it. This is a nightmare. Recalling my ship makes it land outside the canyon where I can't reasonably get to in my SRV, so I'm trying to find a steady enough incline to get out, or at least a short enough cliff I can hover up to get out.

Hylian7

I'm free!

1pxOaYv.jpg

Serrato

Considering the Vulture had been a better combat ship than ships 10x it's price, there's little reason to hope or assume anything where FDev is concerned.

After all, they're about to add a ship that is the most expensive in the game, yet poorest at its stated role of any big ship.

So.

You are talking about the Cutter right? Cause I heard that it's basically a super T-9 while the Corvette does it's intended Job. Pew Pewing.

You are talking about the Cutter right? Cause I heard that it's basically a super T-9 while the Corvette does it's intended Job. Pew Pewing.

yes, sadly.

there's no reason to buy it other than for trading or to say you're baller enough to own one. that's it. Nothing the ship offers or does could convince me to farm with it over a Corvette or Anaconda at this point.

Well let me not say "nothing". I need to try one more build on it. A heavy kinetic build with 3 cannons. Its biggest issue isn't even the pitch speed; it's the power distributor. For those who have owned a Python, imagine a Python with 7 hardpoints to fuel instead of 5. You know how awful that sounds? Yea. It may be possible to run a full Pulse build with 4 of those being turrets, but anything with beams is more more or less out of the question unless at least half of the hardpoints are kinetics. That makes it suboptimal for maximum RES farming as you'll have to continue to back to resupply.

The Corvette has no such limitation with superior turning speed and a C8 power plant, allowing for it to drive more powerful weapons and go with quality full energy loadouts. For maximum RES efficiency, just trade the 2x C4's for a pair of C3 beams. You are now an Anaconda with better efficiency. But you of course don't have the huge available in such a build and are weaker in PvP as a result.

The Cutter has a lot of issues and it's going to lead to a lot of "undercover" Imperials ranking up in the Federation to buy the Corvette because it's simply a more entertaining ship.

Oh an the Anaconda is still the best NPC farmer in the game, without question. The King is NOT dead. The new bigs are side grades at best and not worth the time required to farm enough rank to buy them. TBQH, the new bigs feel like novelties; cute ideas that are fun when you feel like being a bit less OP and want a little challenge. I consider that quite the indictment.

So I decided to scrap the exploration oriented Hauler halfway through, and went for an Eagle with some cheap burst lasers and a missile launcher instead, I must say it went much better than I was expecting, got 2 big bounties right off the bat amounting for a near total of 150K CR. Gonna put that money to good use to finish up the Hauler and equip it with the Detailed Surface Scanner to make some serious deep space exploration.

Still mindblown by the game scope and the intimate interaction with the world, most immersed I have been in a game for quite some time, I'm already overwhelmed by what the game has to offer and with the upcoming expansions I can't begin to imagine how big it will get.

owlbeak

So I decided to scrap the exploration oriented Hauler halfway through, and went for an Eagle with some cheap burst lasers and a missile launcher instead, I must say it went much better than I was expecting, got 2 big bounties right off the bat amounting for a near total of 150K CR. Gonna put that money to good use to finish up the Hauler and equip it with the Detailed Surface Scanner to make some serious deep space exploration.

Still mindblown by the game scope and the intimate interaction with the world, most immersed I have been in a game for quite some time, I'm already overwhelmed by what the game has to offer and with the upcoming expansions I can't begin to imagine how big it will get.
If you have the money, make sure you buy the Advanced Discovery Scanner. It will detect all planetary bodies and stars in a system so you don't have to fly around continually scanning for astronomical objects. It's like 1.5m Credits, though.

Jedi2016

With my Asp I plan on selling off one of my AFU's (I have two now) and replacing it with a C2 Hangar. Since I'll be able to restock that one AFU out in deep space by exploring with the SRV I really won't be needing the second AFU anymore. I'd like to put a Class 4 Hangar in but I'd have to either sacrifice my 5D shields or my 6B fuel scoop, and I'm not giving either of those up! So I'll just have to be very careful with my one and only SRV while I'm out in deep space.
That sounds like exactly the setup my Asp has.. lol. I was looking over my modules last night and figured the same thing, that I'll give up my second AFM since it can be refilled. And it looks like the SRV itself can be repaired so long as I can get it back to the ship (I wish the AFM would handle that, to be honest.. that's what it's there for). I was hoping to take a second SRV out with me, but like you, I don't want to give up my shields and I sure as hell ain't giving up that 627/sec fuel scoop. Even though I rarely use shields, especially now (I'm outside the bubble), I think they'll come in handy for low flying on planet surfaces, they'll soak up any slips and impacts, I think.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Okay, this is weird, someone circumvent the AMD Windows 10 slowdown using the Crysis (yes, Crysis 1) CrossFire bits. How odd!

Horizons looks pretty fucking cool though I must say, but I'm gonna have to put in some time with the game once the slowdown issue is fixed, which it by fuck should be soon considering AMD users have begun debuggin the issue themselves because AMD and FD can't get their butts off the ground and work out a solution together :lol.

I mean apart from the Hypercruise thing I get a consistent 100+ FPS on Ultra at 1440p with a 280x, that's sexy as fuck.

Wreav

Banned
Now imagine all that inside VR.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
o_O How? Does he explain how to do it?

It only works if you have two GPUs in crossfire (obviously). Apparently you use the Crysis 2 Crossfire Profile for Elite and hypercruise slowdown is gone, in return you get microstutter, but I'd honestly take that over 5-10 FPS.

Unfortunately I don't know how to set up a crossfire in such a way that it uses the profile for Crysis 2 when you load up Elite, I'd love to figure it out and try for myself but I only have a single 280x

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ah damn... I had some hopes up. Oh well. Maybe someday AMD and FD stars will align and they will fix it.

Well, if you desperately want to play it, you can downgrade your drivers if you're on a 2xx series GPU or below, use the old 14.12 drivers and you can supercruise to your hearts content. I kind of wanna downgrade just to play, but at the same time the new Crimson drivers are so damn good for everything else.
It'd be nice if you could dualboot drivers and select which driver version you wanted to use upon boot, that should be a damn feature.

At the very least, AMD's confirmed they're looking into it still as of the latest hotfix, so it may come sooner than we think, then again it's been 4 months :lol

Unicorn

I got my new video card and RAM today. HOTAS arrived Monday. I have been too afraid to dive in and configure my stick and really, really do this shit right.

What are the best button configs for Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X? I still don't think there's enough buttons for everything
LLShC.gif
I need the Steel Battalion setup to do it right.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I got my new video card and RAM today. HOTAS arrived Monday. I have been too afraid to dive in and configure my stick and really, really do this shit right.

What are the best button configs for Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X? I still don't think there's enough buttons for everything
LLShC.gif

Could always set up hotkeys on your Keyboard? It's not immersion breaking, there's an actual keyboard in the cockpit!
I'd actually like to get a flightstick, 360 controls work (after you switch them around a bit) but it just feels wrong.

If you have the money, make sure you buy the Advanced Discovery Scanner. It will detect all planetary bodies and stars in a system so you don't have to fly around continually scanning for astronomical objects. It's like 1.5m Credits, though.

I was planning on making this my next big acquisition but sadly I'm still just another poor space peasant, gonna take some time to get there.

Financial issues aside, I got a small technical issue with the game, everytime I close the thing it never really exits the client I always have to manually close the application through the task manager, one time it even blocked me from the PC, everything was responding but the window app was on top of everything and wouldn't let me minimize or anything, anyone know of a way to fix this?

Unicorn

Could always set up hotkeys on your Keyboard? It's not immersion breaking, there's an actual keyboard in the cockpit!
I'd actually like to get a flightstick, 360 controls work (after you switch them around a bit) but it just feels wrong.

Yeah, I have 10 hours on the xbox controller. I'm fine with keyboard stuff for the things I rarely use, but I just wanted to know what common set ups were like for the HOTAS X

JambiBum

LLShC.gif

I have a T flight and use voice attack in conjunction with it to cover the controls that can't fit onto the stick. Some of the VA commands I use are just for convience, but for most everything else you should be able to fit them on the stick.

Unicorn

I have a T flight and use voice attack in conjunction with it to cover the controls that can't fit onto the stick. Some of the VA commands I use are just for convience, but for most everything else you should be able to fit them on the stick.

What's your set up like, specifically?

JambiBum

What's your set up like, specifically?

I'll try to structure this the best I can as far as the HOTAS goes.

Throttle: Forward/backward thrust on axis, boost on 5, jump drive on 6, flight assist on 10, silent running on 9, panels focus on 8, heat sink on 7, target next ship on the right U axis thing, subsystems on the left one, pause menu on the start key.

Stick: Primary fire on trigger, secondary on 2, thrust controls on the nub, focus next target ahead on 3, change fire group on 4, yaw on twist, roll on x axis, pitch on y.

Everything else that I need is done through a voice attack command.

Well, if you desperately want to play it, you can downgrade your drivers if you're on a 2xx series GPU or below, use the old 14.12 drivers and you can supercruise to your hearts content. I kind of wanna downgrade just to play, but at the same time the new Crimson drivers are so damn good for everything else.
It'd be nice if you could dualboot drivers and select which driver version you wanted to use upon boot, that should be a damn feature.

At the very least, AMD's confirmed they're looking into it still as of the latest hotfix, so it may come sooner than we think, then again it's been 4 months :lol

So no improvement from the 64 bit client in the beta? I have a friend with an 7970 and win 10 and I'm guessing he'll be experiencing the same issues.

Hylian7

Cross posting this from the Steam controller thread, does anyone have an answer?

I might post about this in the Elite: Dangerous threads, but I've got a little problem here. The Elite: Dangerous expansion, Horizons, came out in beta the other day and it involves planetary landings where you drive a little rover/buggy-like vehicle called an SRV. It basically controls similar to a car.

I use a HOTAS for my ship in Elite, but driving the buggy with the HOTAS sucks, and I want to use my Steam controller for it. If I have an Xbox 360 controller connected, it works just fine: When I'm in my ship, I can use the HOTAS to fly it, and then when I drop on the ground, I can use the Xbox 360 controller to drive the buggy.

The problem comes when I try to do this with the Steam controller. If I start the game with the Steam controller on, the Steam controller completely overrides the HOTAS, making the HOTAS not work and only the Steam controller and keyboard do things in the game. If I turn the controller on after starting the game, then the Steam controller does not work.

I guess my question is, is there any way I can make the Steam controller basically "pretend" to be an Xbox 360 controller? I know there is the gamepad control configs, but that does not work, it still makes the controller override the HOTAS, or the controller does not work at all.

Unicorn

Holy shit. Fuck this mission for illicit cargo. Thought it was giving me clearance to recover these military documents, but I keep getting yanked out of turbo by th feds and the fine is way higher than the payout. Not to mention th fuel and repairs. Idk if I'll even get in to dock....

Wtf

Omg. I docked. I had 4 things of plans. Turns out its not even what the mission wanted. It's still 0/1. An hour hopping around for fucking nothing. Actually negative because now I have a price on my head. Fucking bullshit. Starting this game is harder for me than getting into the "fun" of Dwarf Fortress. I fucking loved the first Elite, so I'm starting to question what the fuck is going on with my time with this game.

I'll try to structure this the best I can as far as the HOTAS goes.

Throttle: Forward/backward thrust on axis, boost on 5, jump drive on 6, flight assist on 10, silent running on 9, panels focus on 8, heat sink on 7, target next ship on the right U axis thing, subsystems on the left one, pause menu on the start key.

Stick: Primary fire on trigger, secondary on 2, thrust controls on the nub, focus next target ahead on 3, change fire group on 4, yaw on twist, roll on x axis, pitch on y.

Everything else that I need is done through a voice attack command.

ooh what voice attack profile are you running? a custom voice? how much can you configure it. like if i wanted to say " computer ... (insert custom command here)" and have it bind to a certain action or binding, could it be done?

Also off topic... Ive missed out on probably 1 mil in bounty credits from the last 4 times I died in high intensity resource sites (died that many times in the span of 3 hours)... I'm in a eagle with 2 shield stripping weapon and 1 hull damaging one. I mostly stick with the fed security and shoot whoever they open fire on to snipe the bounty as I scan with the K-warrant scanner for a credit boost. Thing is eventually one of those ships gets the better of me and turns around mid turn and obliterates me...

what the hell kinda ship and weapons to i need to be competent enough in a 1-on-1, trying to make some bounty money to fund my exploration ship purchase.

Sarcasm

ooh what voice attack profile are you running? a custom voice? how much can you configure it. like if i wanted to say " computer ... (insert custom command here)" and have it bind to a certain action or binding, could it be done?

Also off topic... Ive missed out on probably 1 mil in bounty credits from the last 4 times I died in high intensity resource sites (died that many times in the span of 3 hours)... I'm in a eagle with 2 shield stripping weapon and 1 hull damaging one. I mostly stick with the fed security and shoot whoever they open fire on to snipe the bounty as I scan with the K-warrant scanner for a credit boost. Thing is eventually one of those ships gets the better of me and turns around mid turn and obliterates me...

what the hell kinda ship and weapons to i need to be competent enough in a 1-on-1, trying to make some bounty money to fund my exploration ship purchase.

I use VA and it can even request docking for me (which I had to setup).

Fireblend

Banned
So I've been bounty hunting and am now at 85k credits. I still have the stock Sidewinder with stock parts - should I bother upgrading it or should I continue hunting pirates and save up for something else? What would be the next logical step here?

Hylian7

Many..off the top of my head http://www.x360ce.com/

Thing is I haven't used a steam controller before so I don't know if this will work or limit its capabilities.

Yeah, just tried it. Doesn't work for a Steam controller unfortunately. Although I do have one more idea.

Edit: Nope, that didn't work either. I think I'm just stuck using the 360 controller for this until either a patch for either Elite or the Steam controller comes out to fix this, or someone finds some other solution I couldn't think of.

JambiBum

I useKICS. It uses the default keybinds for the set up and I haven't had to change anything but I have added my own stuff. My old profile I had made on my own but I lost that with a windows upgrade. Didn't feel like making a new one from scratch so I just downloaded KICS. You can add anything you want to the profile and then if you want it to say something back to you you just have to find the appropriate voice sample in the file that comes with it. Some voice packs you can get for VA use famous actors from sci fi shows and there's even one that uses the voice actor that does the voice for the ship. Those ones cost money but KICS is free.

Staab

I have been too afraid to dive in and configure my stick and really, really do this shit right.

LLShC.gif
I was in the same situation as you, new to Elite, got a new T-Flight X and went through the following process :
1) Look-up the mega-thread on the frontier forums (dedicated to custom configurations of this HOTAS model)
2) Get a blank sheet from the OP and open it up in your image editing software
3) Read through the thread a bit, look at other people's configurations to get a feel of what you need
4) Get familiar with the concept of HAT switches, a button that acts as a switch for other buttons
5) Test it out and get a feel for it, making your own configuration
and
6) Print out sheet and enjoy :p

With my last Cutter build, I was able to find the fun.

It's reliant on kinetic weapons, so going to base for refills will continue to be a thing until I have an endless supply of resources to craft more basic ammo with. BUT....it's fun.

Cutter in PvP will be like um...like a lot of effort to just do "okay". Cutter pilots will have to work twice as hard just to get the same results as the Corvette and Conda pilots. I guess once you have Cutter money, you're looking for something that makes you work a little bit rather than something that makes the already easy-mode farming experience that is the Conda easier still. The Cutter will scratch that itch.

Also, the audio team deserves a medal for the work they did on the Cutter. Holy fuckin shit.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I've been bounty hunting and am now at 85k credits. I still have the stock Sidewinder with stock parts - should I bother upgrading it or should I continue hunting pirates and save up for something else? What would be the next logical step here?

I wouldn't bother upgrading the Sidewinder, move on to another ship.

If you want to keep bounty hunting then buy an Eagle and gradually upgrade that. While an upgraded Eagle won't easily take out the larger ships it can shred smaller ships pretty well with some good piloting. In the beginning I bounty hunted from the seat of an Eagle all the way to 1 million credits! It's a very nimble and fun ship to fly, it's downsides are weak weapons and fragile shields, but it's great maneuvering can keep it out of harm's way fairly well.

If you want to trade then I'd buy a Hauler next, and possibly soon afterwards an Adder. Both are pretty good starter traders and actually fun to fly too.

I say if you are into combat you shouldn't miss your chance to use the Eagle because you won't have a chance to fly a ship that controls as tightly as the Eagle until you reach the Vulture. Soon you'll upgrade to a Viper or Diamondback Scout and never look back at it unless you want to mess around.

kvk1

Aside from being a fun nimble little thing, with brilliant visibility from inside the cockpit, the Eagle probably has my favorite "engine" sounds. It's like a spooling V6 space turbo. I love it.

Once your finances are in order, I highly recommend taking on the PVE content with ships like the Eagle to keep some spark in the game.

It shouldn't be all about AFK farming extraction sites in the big daddy ships with their 1-shot hardpoints.

Serrato

The game is about what you wanna do, so yah I mostly alternate between bounty'ing with my Anaconda, Smuggling with my ASP but I also do some cool dogfights with my FAS.

Eagle Dogfights are the best between two players, intense fights!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

You can resell ships for 90% of their value, so there isn't any real reason to hold off on upgrading. Just make sure you have enough cash left over to pay for insurance.

Fireblend

Banned
I wouldn't bother upgrading the Sidewinder, move on to another ship.

If you want to keep bounty hunting then buy an Eagle and gradually upgrade that. While an upgraded Eagle won't easily take out the larger ships it can shred smaller ships pretty well with some good piloting. In the beginning I bounty hunted from the seat of an Eagle all the way to 1 million credits! It's a very nimble and fun ship to fly, it's downsides are weak weapons and fragile shields, but it's great maneuvering can keep it out of harm's way fairly well.

If you want to trade then I'd buy a Hauler next, and possibly soon afterwards an Adder. Both are pretty good starter traders and actually fun to fly too.

I think I want to do bounty hunting. I hear trading is better if what I want is riches, but it doesn't strike me as something as fun as flying around shooting other people :p

I think I'll get an eagle and then move on to a Viper when I can. If I buy something like a Kill Warrant Scanner for an Eagle, can I transfer it over to another ship when I upgrade, or do I have to buy it all over again? How compatible are modules between ships?

Also, what happens to the starter Sidewinder when I upgrade? I cannot sell it since it's loaned, right? Does it just disappear?

I think I want to do bounty hunting. I hear trading is better if what I want is riches, but it doesn't strike me as something as fun as flying around shooting other people :p

I think I'll get an eagle and then move on to a Viper when I can. If I buy something like a Kill Warrant Scanner for an Eagle, can I transfer it over to another ship when I upgrade, or do I have to buy it all over again? How compatible are modules between ships?

Also, what happens to the starter Sidewinder when I upgrade? I cannot sell it since it's loaned, right? Does it just disappear?

Modules are not ship specific. When you are going to sell a ship, sell all of the components that you can first, and also, downgrade all the components that you can, then sell the ship. Components sell for 100% of their value while the ship sells for 90%. If you leave components on the ship you will lose that 10% per component as well. If you sell components and then buy a new ship at the same station right after, the components you sold are available for rebuy and you will lose no money.

Kiyoshi

I echo the championing of the Eagle. Great little ship. It's cheap, and is a brilliant upgrade path from the Sidewinder for bounty hunting. So no real reason to skip it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom