• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the things I mentioned earlier would give more incentive to land on certain planets when it comes to exploration. A mechanic to prep a planet that is a candidate for terraforming, something like plant 3 probs a certain distance apart (hundreds or thousands of km to force you to utilize the different flight modes and SRV piloting). They could also add just taking samples of resources on metal rich planets using some kind of scanner that helps locate good sampling locations. Have it enhance the research data greatly, since the time investment is much much more than a simple detailed surface scan. I'm sure things like that wouldn't be simple but not so difficult that they couldn't be worked in to this season of updates.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Thanks for the impressions/thoughts on Horizons, everyone.

Alright, so we all know that a lot of the other big features (walking around, atmospheric planets, etc.) won't come until a year or so later.

What do you think can be done, within the next year, to add more depth to the existing gameplay? I have some ideas of my own, but gotta leave work right now.

One word:

Thargoids.

heringer

Just bought my first shit. A simple Eagle, but better than nothing.

Starting to understand the game a little better, but there's still tons of things I'm clueless about.

Anyway, one thing I don't like about this game are the explosions. I mean, the game looks so beautiful but the explosions just look like 2D sprites from the 90s. Kind of disappointing.

JambiBum

What's the best way to find a system with pristine resource?

Using This

You can search for it in game by using the map, but that imgur link has every known pristine ring to mine so far.

@Serrato, group content is actually a really good idea. For some reason I never really thought about them adding stuff for groups that way.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So no improvement from the 64 bit client in the beta? I have a friend with an 7970 and win 10 and I'm guessing he'll be experiencing the same issues.

Nope, curiously, NVIDIA users have the same issue, you drop from 120 FPS to around 60ish in supercruise, so it's just something in the AMD driver that exaggerates what seems to be a bottleneck in the game's engine more than anything.
That said, I'm gonna downgrade my drivers to get some hours in the game because it's so damn pretty just exploring and watching planets and shit.

JambiBum

Also this happened earlier. That balancing act. Thanks low G.

V81yYmI.jpg

Sort by extraction economy and pray? Not sure if you can really narrow it down more than that.

Using This

You can search for it in game by using the map, but that imgur link has every known pristine ring to mine so far.

@Serrato, group content is actually a really good idea. For some reason I never really thought about them adding stuff for groups that way.

I ran into this list and picked a random system. It worked out, just 100 ly from where I was.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Pristine_Metallic_Rings

Aselith

How do I find out where I can buy prospector limpets? I can't find them in any stations that I go to for outfitting even very basic ones.

How do I find out where I can buy prospector limpets? I can't find them in any stations that I go to for outfitting even very basic ones.

I think you will have more luck on extraction/refinery systems, or maybe try your luck on high tech systems, from my little experience so far, they can be very scarce.

Speaking of which, I finally bought the Cobra and went on to my journey to look after a pristine metallic extraction site, on my way there I made some nice side bucks from exploration alone, around 200K for all my cartographics, the Detailed Surface Scanner definetly seems to be the best purchase you can make early on.

Also, should I even bother checking for "salvageable wreck" spots? The only thing I have found there are occupied escape pods that sell for near nothing and you have the risk of getting scanned before getting into a station, not to mention the moral distraught of trafficking with persons, is there anything more interesting to be found in those or do I just ignore it altogether?

JambiBum

If you mean the module, then just go to a high tech/high population system and they should have it.

Just remember to go into the munitions tab to fill some of your cargo hold with limpets or the module won't work.

Nope, curiously, NVIDIA users have the same issue, you drop from 120 FPS to around 60ish in supercruise, so it's just something in the AMD driver that exaggerates what seems to be a bottleneck in the game's engine more than anything.
That said, I'm gonna downgrade my drivers to get some hours in the game because it's so damn pretty just exploring and watching planets and shit.

You know what in supercruise, I don't have any crush performance issues but it does slowly drop from like 144 -> 90 for no apparent reason. I used to have terrible stuttering when I approached planets but that was fixed from me in 1.4. I have 980ti SLI but I think it's more of CPU related issue. My understanding is that the issue actually exists subtly for everyone but became crippling with Win 10 AMD drivers a few months ago.

HelloMeow

I've got a 980 and my framerate regularly drops to below 30 in supercruise. It seems to happen when other players are in my instance. It never happens in solo.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You know what in supercruise, I don't have any crush performance issues but it does slowly drop from like 144 -> 90 for no apparent reason. I used to have terrible stuttering when I approached planets but that was fixed from me in 1.4. I have 980ti SLI but I think it's more of CPU related issue. My understanding is that the issue actually exists subtly for everyone but became crippling with Win 10 AMD drivers a few months ago.

Yeah that's fairly spot on from what I understand. From what I read the CPU threading is kinda bonkers in supercruise and with the new AMD Drivers + Win10 the game essentially drops to a single thread slowing everything else down to a crawl, which is why the fps drops to 5-15ish FPS with low CPU and GPU utilization

RedSwirl

I'm still working on that Hauler build for exploration but it's taking me a while, mainly because the market in my current system doesn't have all the parts suggested in that build someone posted earlier. I was able to get the Hauler's warp range to around 15ly but for some reason the ship overheats ever easily. Either that or I'm doing something very wrong whenever I try to fuel scoop (the only kind available at that market was like a 1E or something).

I tried to explore a few systems but didn't do very well. I mostly ran into multiple star systems with no planets or ones with only planets of low value. After all that I was only able to get maybe a few thousand credits worth of discoveries. I'm going to try to look for lone F, G, or K-type stars that haven't been exploited in the future, but that's probably going to be tough until I really strike out and decide to leave the Sidewinder behind for the time being. I also still can't afford anything more than a basic discovery scanner. I can almost afford a 2A Frame Shift Drive. Going out to the nav beacon with my basic Sidewinder and grinding some more wanted marks might do it, but another problem is that where I'm currently docked is very far away from the nav beacon. I'm in a binary system, I think the kind thats basically two systems orbiting each other. The nav beacon is situated around one star but the station I'm docked at is orbiting the other. It takes maybe five minutes of FSD for me to get from one to the other, but maybe my FSD is still just really slow. I think I'm going to try to grind enough to get the new FSD and then just go out exploring.

Also, is there any kind of system map view other than the basic one available? I miss the one in Elite II that showed all the systems at realistic scale. It gave me a better sense of how far planets and stations were from each other.

So I went off and made enough in bounties in my Eagle to earn a Viper with the basic loadout. Went back to the RES again with the Viper, stuck with the Feds and sniped about 2 million worth in bounties in 2 hours. How the hell do I make money faster in this game so i can pretty much buy any ship I want so i can start to seriously explore or trade? I remember reading about a trade route that can make millions per run but I cant find it anymore and I dont know if its accurate or what ship I need to do it.

JambiBum

I've got a really funny bug video to publish in a little while this reminds me of.

Mine wasn't a bug. I wanted to see if I could balance that way in a really low g planet. Mining on low g planets kinda sucks though cus the chunks just fly up into the air for a while. You can try to catch them for fun though.

Hylian7

Mine wasn't a bug. I wanted to see if I could balance that way in a really low g planet. Mining on low g planets kinda sucks though cus the chunks just fly up into the air for a while. You can try to catch them for fun though.

I know it wasn't a bug, but it reminded me of it. I kind of like flying under the rocks on low gravity planets trying to catch them.

Anyway, here's the video of the bug, enjoy: https://youtu.be/U_n5wDEBamc

I bought this game during the sale. So far, I've put in eight hours and I've literally achieved nothing.

I've tried hunting down pirates for a mission, couldn't find any pirates and instead got destroyed twice by a small group of lawless, dangerous ships. I wouldn't mind trading, yet I have no idea where the right system is to find the right cargo for such a mission. I won't do piracy since I'd rather not go that form of criminal. Smuggling would be great if I knew how to avoid being scanned all the time. There's also the critical issue: where are the missions? More often than not, ports and stations have maybe one mission available to me, a total newbie, to try out.

I don't want to give up on this game, because I really enjoy the space flight and the combat can be pretty fun too. But I feel like I've been thrown into a prison shower at this point. Where do I properly start to get credits and obtain a better ship? Surely these missions are probably the weakest way to go about it, right? Since there are so few for me to qualify for? The simple cargo transport missions would be great, if I could find them.

You point me to a proper guide that doesn't just give me the broad tips, but actually detailed guides on how to go about becoming a better player, get good credits and jobs, and not waste my time; I'd very much appreciate it. I've become very bothered by the lack of opportunity I feel I'm getting to improve and move up in the game's world.

Hylian7

I bought this game during the sale. So far, I've put in eight hours and I've literally achieved nothing.

I've tried hunting down pirates for a mission, couldn't find any pirates and instead got destroyed twice by a small group of lawless, dangerous ships. I wouldn't mind trading, yet I have no idea where the right system is to find the right cargo for such a mission. I won't do piracy since I'd rather not go that form of criminal. Smuggling would be great if I knew how to avoid being scanned all the time. There's also the critical issue: where are the missions? More often than not, ports and stations have maybe one mission available to me, a total newbie, to try out.

I don't want to give up on this game, because I really enjoy the space flight and the combat can be pretty fun too. But I feel like I've been thrown into a prison shower at this point. Where do I properly start to get credits and obtain a better ship? Surely these missions are probably the weakest way to go about it, right? Since there are so few for me to qualify for? The simple cargo transport missions would be great, if I could find them.

You point me to a proper guide that doesn't just give me the broad tips, but actually detailed guides on how to go about becoming a better player, get good credits and jobs, and not waste my time; I'd very much appreciate it. I've become very bothered by the lack of opportunity I feel I'm getting to improve and move up in the game's world.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiA5S05bmX__NgQvOnDSbJT5xQ61Wn1s- Kornelius Briedis did a series of Elite for beginners that covers a wide range of topics in the game. This series was done within the last two months, so very little to no information in it will be outdated. I also highly recommend his YouTube channel, as the content he posts is great for both beginners and veteran players. He's my favorite Elite YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSKAteZ2y4 - This video was published by ObsidianAnt very recently (like within the last two days). Highly recommend subscribing to his channel if you want specific topics covered too. Similar to Kornelius, he publishes content that's useful to both beginners and veterans.

On a different topic

Any of you cool cats that have Sol permits, is Earth's moon landable? What about any of the planets (obviously Earth, Jupiter, and Uranus aren't landable)? I would check but I have to grind Fed rank and really don't feel like it's worth the effort in the beta.

DrBo42

Haven't been to Sol in months but the Moon is locked off to a permit until they put in the NASA landing sites etc down the road. I think Mercury can be landed on.

Aselith

I found the easiest and safest way to make money early was to do a few smuggling missions as they are "high" value and not too hard to do then buy a refinery and a mining laser and take the mining missions in that area which net like 100-150k, it'll have you hunting very high value minerals and stuff so you need to find a world with metallic rings then you go tap on asteroids until you find one with a good yield on the mineral you need. (Don't mine in asteroid belts as they suck.) I found this guide very helpful for getting started out in mining: https://www.themittani.com/features/elite-dangerous-mining-guide

I was able to pretty quickly get several hundred k which you can use to go deeper into mining or put together a higher class combat or trading ship or whatever strikes your fancy.

Did a couple of missions these past two days. First one was a simple in-system transport of illegal goods, and paid around 15k credits. At the destination station I picked up a 45k bounty in a system a couple of jumps over, but once I arrived I thought better of it. Luckily one of the stations had a job smuggling cargo (slaves, unfortunately) back to LHS 3447. On my way out of the system I almost got interdicted by system police (I was distracted! :b), but managed to escape and deliver the cargo.

Since I'm just a bit shy over 140k credits with just two missions and seeing I'm enjoying trading/smuggling, which ship would you recommend I upgrade to next? I'm divided between the Adder and the Hauler.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiA5S05bmX__NgQvOnDSbJT5xQ61Wn1s- Kornelius Briedis did a series of Elite for beginners that covers a wide range of topics in the game. This series was done within the last two months, so very little to no information in it will be outdated. I also highly recommend his YouTube channel, as the content he posts is great for both beginners and veteran players. He's my favorite Elite YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNSKAteZ2y4 - This video was published by ObsidianAnt very recently (like within the last two days). Highly recommend subscribing to his channel if you want specific topics covered too. Similar to Kornelius, he publishes content that's useful to both beginners and veterans.

Thank you for posting these. I'll give it a watch when I have time.

Mik2121

Hey guys, I wanted to check Horizons but I can't seem to find it. I'm a Premium Beta owner, but for Horizons it tells me to buy it. Am I checking the wrong place?

Edit: Uhh... never mind. I should have tried booting up the game, heh!

Planetary Landings don't add anything particular profitable. I think they did make a smart decision with crafting. Creating additional driving forces other than making credits is important for the game. However, it's obvious that the crafting system needs to be fleshed out, which they have been upfront about. The current iteration is a stop gap for other plans.

Have they said anything about the AI bug where they just sit around and spin? Ruins the fun of bounty hunting.

So I went off and made enough in bounties in my Eagle to earn a Viper with the basic loadout. Went back to the RES again with the Viper, stuck with the Feds and sniped about 2 million worth in bounties in 2 hours. How the hell do I make money faster in this game so i can pretty much buy any ship I want so i can start to seriously explore or trade? I remember reading about a trade route that can make millions per run but I cant find it anymore and I dont know if its accurate or what ship I need to do it.

In larger ships in hazardous stations you can make more, but there's kind of an upper limit to bounty hunting based on spawn rate. Currently the big thing is to go to very distant stations and do smuggling missions, which payout based on distance traveled, so you can get millions and millions per run (100LY+). Grab a few of those missions, head home, avoid cops, make bank.

Have they said anything about the AI bug where they just sit around and spin? Ruins the fun of bounty hunting.

They did say they would fix it in 1.5. I have limited time bounty hunting in the beta but I can say in the time that I did bounty hunt, I did not see the AI sit still and spin and I didn't see AI crashing into asteroids like idiots. But again that was maybe 20-30 min total so I can't be certain.

By the way my starting system is LHS 3447. I don't know if that's a well-known system or anything.

I believe that is the starting system for everyone.

Hylian7

How profitable is the landing stuff compared to normal trading/shooting/mining?
It isn't really. However materials for synthesis can be rewarding because you can craft stuff for your ship to help you with your chosen method to make money. The higher tiers of synthesized ammo add damage, the FSD injection is great for traders and explorers.

I think the base raiding needs some fleshing out, as right now every mission for it is usually less than 100k, and is usually only one thing that can me taken from outside.

So I was trying to free up some space on my drive.

Uninstalled the 32 Bit Ships 1.5 Beta without an issue, went to uninstall the 64 Bit 1.5 Beta and it apparently also removes the Horizon 2.0 Beta.

Further testing show if you have the 64bit 1.5 Ships Beta up to date (it says "Play" instead of "Upgrade") then the Horizon 2.0 Beta will show "Upgrade", then if you update Horizon 2.0 to show "Play" the 64bit 1.5 Beta will go back to "Upgrade".

Seems they are using the same install but can't both be present at the same time.

This is on the STEAM version.

DrBo42

From newsletter:

"We also have some additional changes coming for explorers to integrate some of the new features into their progression a little more. The first addition is an exploration rank increase when finding materials for the first time. Subsequent material finds will provide a small increase to the Commander’s explorer rank value. Searching planets by driving in the SRV will also accrue explorer rank increases and the bonus is scaled depending on how far away from Sol you are."

Good changes. Along with fuel synthesis increasing fuel economy rather than shields.

They did say they would fix it in 1.5. I have limited time bounty hunting in the beta but I can say in the time that I did bounty hunt, I did not see the AI sit still and spin and I didn't see AI crashing into asteroids like idiots. But again that was maybe 20-30 min total so I can't be certain.

Cool, thanks. While it was good for business it really robbed bounty hunting of its challenge--to the point where I just had to put it down until a fix came.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yeah, speaking of AI crashing into asteroids like idiots, last night I went out bounty hunting for the first time in a few months, and I saw more than a few AI targets of mine crashing into and bouncing off of asteroids all over the place. I laughed the first time it happened, snickered the second time, raised up my eyebrow the third time, and by the sixth time it happened I began to wonder WTF?

When did this AI behavior start? I've done my share of hunting and I've never seen anything so hilarious before.

Yeah, speaking of AI crashing into asteroids like idiots, last night I went out bounty hunting for the first time in a few months, and I saw more than a few AI targets of mine crashing into and bouncing off of asteroids all over the place. I laughed the first time it happened, snickered the second time, raised up my eyebrow the third time, and by the sixth time it happened I began to wonder WTF?

When did this AI behavior start? I've done my share of hunting and I've never seen anything so hilarious before.

Started with the last patch before 1.5 beta, I think, or one of the last.

Serrato

Each time they start spinning on themselves I think it's just the pilot is like ''just kill me, it's gonna be faster'' that way.

Wreav

Banned
Minimum VR Spec for Elite Dangerous:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
• Memory: 16 GB RAM
• Graphics: Nvidia GTX 980 with 4GB or better

Source: Elite Dangerous Newsletter #102 - From Frontier Developments

Not quite sure where they are getting these numbers...DK2 ran just fine on a 660ti/8gbr
yes, i know it was a lower res than CV1/Vive

Maybe these are the specs needed for 60fps in Horizons, which wouldn't surprise me.

la_briola

Not quite sure where they are getting these numbers...DK2 ran just fine on a 660ti/8gbr
yes, i know it was a lower res than CV1/Vive

Maybe these are the specs needed for 60fps in Horizons, which wouldn't surprise me.

The new headsets also need 90 FPS (Vive/Rift).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom