• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ellie is the main playable character in The Last of Us: Part II

And he
ages 10 years in the game
- so?

I'm not a female, nor am I a teenager - so that makes me not relate to Ellie and makes me uninterested in playing as her. Noctis is a male - which I am also - but I'm not 20. But I love anime, fantasy games and action games, so therefore he's a very relatable, likeable character to me. Ellie is a whiny, stubborn, too-cool-for-school, grungy teenager that has a chip on her shoulder and if I played The Last of Us Part II, I'd be forced to only play as her.

That doesn't seem very interesting, fun, worthwhile or a good way to spend my entertainment time.
some people should only be allowed to play games with huge nerds as the protagonist

AndersK

PSY・S;225988922 said:
This dude just said he can't relate to Ellie because she's female but feels a great connection to Noctis because he loves anime.

I'll let you know anime is about REAL human feelings y'know.

what is happening

I'm cool with this change, per se.

But what is strange, is that it feels more like a forced political statement than a fluid storytelling device, like an executive order to be more PC. This is evident from the DLC of Uncharted. Don't be fooled, they are doing to be more PC, not because they want a female lead. This is bad type of feminism and it works against the females.

Imagine working in a meeting on the draft of the script and even suggesting to not choose a female lead? Is not socially appraisive nowadays. So, there is no arguing against it.

Everyone is using all types of media to manifest political views, more and more. Not that is something wrong with it, but kinda turn off the escapism of the gaming media. To the trained mind, you can easily spot this stances. Feels too forced.

I'll not support this, even being a feminist, because of the sense of a forced political agenda that puts female on a pity zone.

Females are on a HIGHWAAAAY TOOOOO THE PITTTTYYYYYY ZOOONNNNNE!!!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Loved playing as Joel. Smashing dudes heads into brick walls, choking dudes out with your bare hands, taking hostages, heavy ass fist fights when you run out of ammo. As long as Ellie can replicate that, then I don't care who you play as.

Loved playing as Joel. Smashing dudes heads into brick walls, choking dudes out with your bare hands, taking hostages, heavy ass fist fights when you run out of ammo. As long as Ellie can replicate that, then I don't care who you play as.

I expect it to be as brutal but clearly she won't have the same strength. So I expect her knife to be her main weapon close up just like the last game, but as she is stronger now, she will be more brutal. It's gonna be gross.

Plus baseball bats with nails in them will be just as effective swung Ellie.

bidguy

Banned
Wow. You really didn't get this game at all.

The reason Joel tries to pawn Ellie off on his brother is because he could feel himself growing attached and starting to love her. Joel chose not to love anything or anyone else in that world after Sara because he couldn't bear to lose them again.

Ellie is the first person he started to care about as much as his daughter and that made him so afraid that he felt he had to get rid of her. For her sake. He didn't feel fit to watch over her because he believed he is a person that loses what he loves.

God, it blows my mind how simple and ignorant people are about the events of this game (especially the ending). Some people need to take an English class. Learn how to properly digest and analyze a story beyond its surface.

jesus could you be any more condescending ? this shit reads like an elitist blog post about a crappy movie.

Servbot24

Banned
Cool. I need to stay out of these fan fiction threads though..

Also lol at first page acting like a female protagonist is some new thing. People talking about Horizon, but completely forgeting Tomb Raider. How about Mirrors Edge? Metroid? Bayonetta? Bloodrayne? Recore?

Not to mention Ellie being playable for a good bit of TLOU, including her own DLC. Oh yeah Infamous Second Son: First Light you play as Fetch.
You spending less than a paragraph on examples while still needing to bring up spin-off DLC illustrates the problem. Obviously a female protagonist isn't new, but it is inarguably seldom.

She was a stubborn, willful, annoying character that got slightly more likeable as the game progressed - nothing really all that special to me. I'm a 40 year-old male and the notion of playing as a teenage girl seems off-putting and not entertaining whatsoever to me.
ah yes, can't stand those willful disobedient females

Raylan

Banned
And after I take the class you can piss off with the condescension. Some make it very hard to have a decent back and forth on here. I'm not the only who saw it the way I did.

BTW...I write scripts for fun. I've been reviewed and know I can write a competent story with a little depth. Miss me with this crap.

And TetraGenesis is still right, tho
That's the significance of the LIE. The whole second part of the game happened and Joel still lies. Bonds mean something to Ellie....you don't lie to people you care about. It still leaves that seed of doubt.
lmao

tassletine

All this sounds ace. Naughty Dog having a principal theme is...encouraging? I don't know how to describe it.The Last of Us was a game built on vignettes, so writing the script with a theme in mind probably helps with structure.

"Get" dark?

The theme of TLOU was "Trust".

Two characters learning to rely on each other no matter what (even when they know one might be lying).

Is this going to be the new "I can't relate to black thugs" thread that we'll be linking to in the future to show how fucking embarrassing GAF was a few years ago?

Shredderi

Is this going to be the new "I can't relate to black thugs" thread that we'll be linking to in the future to show how fucking embarrassing GAF was a few years ago?

Lol I can already see it. I mean it's definitely getting referenced in the years to come. Naughty Dog is Sony's golden girl at the moment and they have a lot of say in how they operate and what they operate on I imagine. I wonder if there were any pushback from sony to ND's decision to make Ellie the main playable lead? I mean they already greenlighted a female lead in a big new IP which is arguably riskier, but I seem to remember that there was some tredipitation on Sony's part with Horizon at first.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

The reason Joel tries to pawn Ellie off on his brother is because he could feel himself growing attached and starting to love her. Joel chose not to love anything or anyone else in that world after Sara because he couldn't bear to lose them again.

Ellie is the first person he started to care about as much as his daughter and that made him so afraid that he felt he had to get rid of her. For her sake. He didn't feel fit to watch over her because he believed he is a person that loses what he loves.

God, it blows my mind how simple and ignorant people are about the events of this game (especially the ending). Some people need to take an English class. Learn how to properly digest and analyze a story beyond its surface.
I'm sure there was a way to say that without coming off like a complete and utter asshole.

Juraash

To have a female lead character for the follow up of the biggest GOTY in the last generation is pretty balsy by ND.

Is it? Ellie was a huge part of what made it GOTY in the first place. I suppose it could be ballsy when looking at it from the perspective of someone new to the series. But I feel like it's pretty a natural progression to fans.

Ricky_R

And after I take the class you can piss off with the condescension. Some make it very hard to have a decent back and forth on here. I'm not the only who saw it the way I did.

BTW...I write scripts for fun. I've been reviewed and know I can write a competent story with a little depth. Miss me with this crap.

He was unnecessarily asshole about it, but he's right. I mean, it was quite obvious what was happening when Joel decided to part ways with Ellie and it definitely wasn't that he didn't care about her. It was actually the complete opposite.

Jocund

The theme of TLOU was "Trust".

Two characters learning to rely on each other no matter what (even when they know one might be lying).
Oh yeah. Thinking back on the storyline(s) and even some elements of the gameplay, trust is most definitely a pervasive theme.

I wonder how much of an effect a theme like "hate" is going to have on Ellie. Like how it'll inform her interactions with people and the way she handles certain situations, which include, but may not be limited to, killing dudes.

magnetic

I'm cool with this change, per se.

But what is strange, is that it feels more like a forced political statement than a fluid storytelling device, like an executive order to be more PC. This is evident from the DLC of Uncharted. Don't be fooled, they are doing to be more PC, not because they want a female lead. This is bad type of feminism and it works against the females.

Imagine working in a meeting on the draft of the script and even suggesting to not choose a female lead? Is not socially appraisive nowadays. So, there is no arguing against it.

Everyone is using all types of media to manifest political views, more and more. Not that is something wrong with it, but kinda turn off the escapism of the gaming media. To the trained mind, you can easily spot this stances. Feels too forced.

I'll not support this, even being a feminist, because of the sense of a forced political agenda that puts female on a pity zone.

Hold on everyone, this guy is an feminist, we should hear him out! Oh wait, he actually isn't at all.

theWB27

He was unnecessarily asshole about it, but he's right. I mean, it was quite obvious what was happening when Joel decided to part ways with Ellie and it definitely wasn't that he didn't care about her. It was actually the complete opposite.

I think joel's intentions were selfishly motivated. I wish people would stop telling me I'm wrong when their argument is based off how they interpreted his actions also.

To me....to me the ending changed how I viewed their relationship. He chose to protect himself instead of tell ellie the truth. I also think, since hate is the theme in the second, his decision will have ramifications.

Despite whatever he felt about ellie, he made decisions that benefited himself over her numerous times. That goes for when he tried to dump her. That goes for the ending.

I'll stick with this thought until the second shows me their relationship is just fine.

yeah.... not possible. Fall 2018 would be the earliest. And with knowing the way Sony is operating now, Spring 2019 is most likely.
Why is everyone putting this so far out? If they started motion capturing for the game 1 1/2 years ago to make the trailer they would have waited to E3 2017 for. I'd be shocked if it came out after February of 2018 at the latest

Dreez

Same, hopefully she doesn't feel like Lara Croft instead of Joel.

Why is everyone putting this so far out? If they started motion capturing for the game 1 1/2 years ago to make the trailer they would have waited to E3 2017 for. I'd be shocked if it came out after February of 2018 at the latest

It's mainly because Shawn emphasized that it was very early before it was unveiled. But who knows. In Neil's blog post he said we'll find out more in the coming months. So, they don't seem to be planning to go dark like we've seen with games like God of War, Spider-Man or Days Gone.

Jocund

ND have said that the game is a ways off. Considering games that aren't a ways off (by industry standards) are announced two years before they're shipped out, a 2019 date seems pretty realistic, I think.

Tess?

I'd suggest taking a screen writing class. There's a lot more to Joel's actions then him just caring for Ellie and being too scared to take care of her. The whole ending validates Ellie not trusting Joel because he lies to her and she knows it. He can't be honest with her even after she saved him plenty of times. It blows MY mind that people can't see there's more than an ending of Joel saving her life. His actions have consequences with the Fireflies AND Ellie.

ND have said that the game is a ways off. Considering games that aren't a ways off (by industry standards) are announced two years before they're shipped out, a 2019 date seems pretty realistic, I think.
They also said they weren't making the mistake of saying when til they are sure. That scene was made when it was truly way off 1 1/2 years ago when they got the story 2 years ago. To me that sounds like preproduction started right after the Remaster launched (remastered was only to get TLoU team exercising on ps4). Production started 1 1/2 years ago, full production started 1 year ago or January this year.
Gives them most of next year to finish and the last bit of the year to bug fix

Darksol

^ Church

Simple, the entire team at ND was working on UC4. So at most they've been working on this game 6 months.

In new Age development games take 3 years to make. So 2016 + 3 = 2019. Plus, I think you are seeing a Strategy of Sony not releasing big exclusives during the holiday season since they are so crowded and there is already so much to play. So A. I think it would be dumb to release last of us during christmas season as it doesn't have the mass appeal of an Uncharted. B. It won't be done by Xmas of 2018 anyways.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The reason Joel tries to pawn Ellie off on his brother is because he could feel himself growing attached and starting to love her.

LMAO. If that's the case, the writers COMPLETELY failed at conveying that. Because Joel was a complete asshole to her until his 180 after she runs away. Yes, she reminded him of his daughter, sure, I'll give you that. But he treated her like she was nothing but a job WAY after those feelings came in and showed no signs of getting attached to her until said running away point.

Simple, the entire team at ND was working on UC4. So at most they've been working on this game 6 months.

In new Age development games take 3 years to make. So 2016 + 3 = 2019. Plus, I think you are seeing a Strategy of Sony not releasing big exclusives during the holiday season since they are so crowded and there is already so much to play. So A. I think it would be dumb to release last of us during christmas season as it doesn't have the mass appeal of an Uncharted. B. It won't be done by Xmas of 2018 anyways.
They were still 2 teams when this would have entered preproduction. Part break, part help finish uc4. Towards the crunch of UC4 you don't need all of the extra people from team 2 to help uc4 so they switch to art of and motion capture starts.

I just doubt how late full production started when you got the story framework's, it's a sequel so makes everything just a little bit faster to do because you don't have to build from scratch just refine how you do the most intensive stuff I.e. the new mo-cap work flow. Plus farm teams/anything at their disposal

What's this in reference to?
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=23132&postcount=145

LMAO. If that's the case, the writers COMPLETELY failed at conveying that. Because Joel was a complete asshole to her until his 180 after she runs away. Yes, she reminded him of his daughter, sure, I'll give you that. But he treated her like she was nothing but a job WAY after those feelings came in and showed no signs of getting attached to her until said running away point.

The writers did an excellent job getting this across. You might need gears of war level of subtlety but that doesn't mean failure on their part.

jaaz

Clearly understood it better than you guys.

The ending is interesting because it completes Joel's transformation into the villain. The quest is really Ellie's, Joel is just getting her there. If it were a film, Ellie would have been considered the protagonist. But gameplay requires action, so they have you control Joel to protect Ellie. There's a reason added on the front on the box, and why the DLC is about her.

For you guys, villains apparently have to be blatant and obvious. David is a villain to you guys because he's a cannibal.

But what Joel does is arguably worse. After all they have been through, Joel decides to rob Ellie of her agency, much like everyone you consider to be a villain in the game. What makes Joel different? That you controlled him at some point? Who cares?

If nothing else, the railroaded ending proves that they wanted Joel to go full villain at the end.

By the end, Joel doesn't view Ellie as her own person that can make their own choices, or as an adult. He doesn't respect her at all. Instead, he violently and selfishly takes away her choice, then lies to her face about it. And she knows it. She's stuck with yet another person who won't let her make her own choices. She's stuck with a man who will murder innocent people to ensure she doesn't get that choice.

So what game were you guys playing?

Could not disagree more. Ellie was a child, not an adult. Joel was a father figure who took her in as her adopted daughter, reluctantly at first, because he did not want to loose her like he lost his blood daughter. His actions at the end were nowhere near selfish or evil, Joel was trying to protect his child. It's no different than how sometimes a parent needs to lie to their children to protect them, because they are at an age that they simply cannot understand or comprehend the truth. As a Father, I will protect my children at any cost and thus would have done the same thing as Joel every day and twice on Sundays.

farmerboy

Oh I loved Ellie in the first game. Her optimism and youthful candour juxtaposed nicely against the dire circumstances they were in. Her playfulness in the Left Behind DLC.

Its going to be real hard (especially as a father of two girls) to watch her youthful innocence descend into a hateful, death dealing spiral of despair. And I mean that. I am dreading it going that way. It will tough to watch and partake in.

Woodchipper

I can't fucking wait. It hurts that they teased it so early.

The Last of Us is my all time favorite game, so if this is even half as good it's amazing still.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
They didn't fail at all, you were the one who failed to grasp it.

He was an asshole/distant to her because he didn't want to become attached to her, because he was afraid that doing that would make him more vulnerable to grief and loss once again if something happened to Ellie. Eventually he decides to open up for real, because deep down he cared for her.

The writers did an excellent job getting this across. You might need gears of war level of subtlety but that doesn't mean failure on their part.
Hahahahah savage

forrest

formerly nacire
This thread is delivering on so many levels.

40 year old male chiming in. Fucking loved playing as Ellie in the first game and dlc and can't wait to play as grown ass Ellie in part two.

Can't relate...fuck outta here with that bullshit.

I just hope she keeps the guitar so I can kick some tasty acoustic jams between murder escapades!

Top Bottom