• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ellie is the main playable character in The Last of Us: Part II

Bioshocker

I'm really happy about this. I never doubted, but it took ND some time to confirm TLOU2 for us. Happy they did.

I would have preferred new characters in a new world (same outbreak but new people at a new place), however. I'm sure this will be a great story, that's what ND are good at. I hope they take another step in gameplay too.

sphinx

the piano man
I gotta say, I really didn't like very much "Winter" in the first part.... I try not to go saying that in forums cause TLOU fanboys get all worked up.

playing as Ellie dragged the whole experience, just by virtue of her being powerless, just having a bow and arrow for most of time.

I appreciated that episode it as part of the story and its development but gameplaywise, I couldn't wait to have Joel again as the controllable character.

In Left Behind it's even worse, almost no combat.

So I hope she's stronger this time and gets a proper weapong upgrade system like Joel.

drotahorror

I shouldn't even have looked in this thread. I didn't pay attention to the corpse on the ground, didn't know it was Joel and never though about Joel being dead hah.

W/e, blackout til the game comes out.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
*sigh*

I don't like Ellie and playing as her will be unbearable for me.

What about those of us that liked playing as Joel?!?

Hype deflated 100%

:(
thatsbait.gif

I mean for "those of you" there's always... The Last of Us and a zillion other games where you don't play a teenage girl but a 30-40 year old gruff male!

But, I know you're just trolling since it's too obviousl --

She was a stubborn, willful, annoying character that got slightly more likeable as the game progressed - nothing really all that special to me. I'm a 40 year-old male and the notion of playing as a teenage girl seems off-putting and not entertaining whatsoever to me.
Holy shit, you were actually serious. -_-

A main female lead on a AAA game. Oh the comments will be delicious.

EDIT: People seem to be misinterpreting my post.

There will be lots of crying about the fact that its a female lead, is what I meant. I don't get it either, but there will.

I don't see anyone causing all that much of a ruckus tbh. It's fits the story and makes perfect sense.

Good.

She was a stubborn, willful, annoying character that got slightly more likeable as the game progressed - nothing really all that special to me. I'm a 40 year-old male and the notion of playing as a teenage girl seems off-putting and not entertaining whatsoever to me.

You'll live.

I'm looking forward to enjoying the game and story crafted by ND.

Also I'm glad that this is another win for representation within AAA gaming.

I don't see how anyone could have an issue with playing as Ellie.

Audioboxer

I already did - when it first released. I'll play it again if I choose.

This.

Maybe the older adults get the more nofunallowed.jpg

Wait till you are 60. You won't be able to play any other game than MGS4 at this rate.

Man I wouldn't be able to enjoy any games if I cared only about playing characters that are in their early 20 and Black.

theWB27

Yeah he saved her life. Such a villain. She should kill him for that.

But isn't it feasible she valued her purpose more than his decision?

I mean...she knew what she meant to the rest of the world. She could resent him for that and thus causing her to still live in that world.

ghostjoke

Banned
Definitely the only logical way to go if they're continuing with the original characters. Too much risk with Joel as the main's motivations clashing with the player's. For me, the first managed to keep tight enough that I was on board with the terrible things he (we) did to save Ellie, but in reflection... eh, yeah, we made some selfish choices.

Theme of Hate. The most obvious video game standard would be a retread of the intro to the first one with Joel dying at the end, leaving Punished Ellie v Hateful World, but I hope they try and be nuanced, focus in on what the sins of the father(figure) and his choices at the ending of the first + all the other shit Ellie saw can do on a developing teenager now on the cusp of adulthood in a doomed world. Whether such things could carry a game around the same length as the original without wrapping into some boring grander save-the-world narrative is what I'm most worried about. Not saying it can't be there in some form, but if it takes center stage, bleh. Original cut that line very close at times.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm a 40 year-old male and the notion of playing as a teenage girl seems off-putting and not entertaining whatsoever to me.
Fucking lol. You really can't relate to playing as anyone other than a middle aged gruff white male?

Blame male feminism. Its ruined the gaming industry. I don't think I have to mention any names.
WTF is this supposed to be mean?

How do you think teenage girls feel?

If you're a female gamer it's unfortunately a near requirement to get used to roleplaying as a wildly different character than your own, something Deckard Chapel seemingly has never had the "misfortune" of having to do.

He's entitled to his preferences of course and many will feel the same, I just hope those from an under represented demographic and those excited for a different perspective outnumber them.

How do you think teenage girls feel?

thatsbait.gif

I mean for "those of you" there's always... The Last of Us and a zillion other games where you don't play a teenage girl but a 30-40 year old gruff male!

But, I know you're just trolling since it's too obviousl --

Holy shit, you were actually serious. -_-

Maybe the older adults get the more nofunallowed.jpg

Wait till you are 60. You won't be able to play any other game than MGS4 at this rate.

Good.

You'll live.

Man I wouldn't be able to enjoy any games if I cared only about playing characters that are in their early 20 and Black.

Opinions - how do they work?

Zocano

You really understood these characters and their relationship.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The whole point of the last 3 minutes of The Last of Us is that Ellie is uneasy around Joel and finds him untrustworthy. It's honestly the best part of the whole game and one of the best endings to me as far as stories go. Storywriters usually fuck up the ending and The Last of Us nailed it better than most.

Honestly, I'm disappointed if they just have Ellie go through the same character arc as Joel and they're both just like "YOU'RE NOT SO DIFFERENT, YOU AND I". Ugh. I'm tentatively excited for the game but I really hope they don't fall into these typical character arcs.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Peeps are unironically complaining about playing as a woman in an industry dominated by male, specifically several variations of gruff white men or cocky white men. Wow.....

For those who don't wanna give this a click, this is the name of the video:
MILO at Auburn University: "Male Feminists Are Either Virgins, Perverts, or Both"

Yes, THAT Milo. From Breibart. Saying and I quote, that men who are feminists "hate themselves so much and will believe literally anything that some dumpy fat lesbian blogger tells him."
Wow......WOOWWWWWW.

Audioboxer

By being posted and then critiqued! Or agreed with, however not many people are agreeing I guess.

Not saying you can't have your opinion, just find your reasoning a bit daft. Characters in games aren't all suppose to be a creation of yourself. As I said if being 40 and not being able to play a younger girl is such a stumbling block for you wait till you're 60 and need to stick to Old Snake!

Ellie was an integral part of TLoU, it should surprise no one she gets more game time in a sequel.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

I mean...she knew what she meant to the rest of the world. She could resent him for that and thus causing her to still live in that world.

Sure she could resent him for it but kill him for it?

Hubb

I mean the ending pretty much summed up that she was just looking for a reason to die. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the fireflies had a small chance (if any) of success. Joel's brother was doing a better job saving humanity than the fireflies were. So was she mad that she lost that out? Maybe. It is 5 years later and I'm going to guess that she isn't seething and waiting for a chance to kill Joel that whole entire time.

FZZ

Banned
If the theme is hate imma cross post what I want from it

Hope at the end of the game Elle is killed by some other character that has more reason to kill than her or something

they should do that with some NPC where you see their story along the way

need more games where there's a revenge story but the main character still gets fucked in the end

Hope they do something like she gets killed by someone with more hate than her and puts a perspective on revenge killing being a never ending cycle of shit and that it leads to nothing except more emptiness

this only my 3rd grade ass analysis tho, they have a team of writers that can come up with something better that would be more along the lines of what I want

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Peeps are unironically complaining about playing as a woman in an industry dominated by male, specifically several variations of gruff white men or cocky white men. Wow.....
Don't forget unironically linking to videos of a prominent bigoted, misogynistic piece of shit like Milo... xD

I really wonder if Ellie is the one that will kill Joel.

I hope more studios take the decision to provide a diverse protagonists in future AAA. I'm sure someone can find the buzzcut white male image of protagonists from the last generation.

You can have an opinion but that does not mean you cannot be critiqued.

Since this is a forum where people can comment on other's posts.

And I critiqued how ridiculous your opinion sounds.

A-V-B

lol, there's no way in HELL this story has a non-horrific ending

Hate in the time of the apocalypse just leads to more apocalypse

Top Bottom