• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulated PS2 Games on PSN INCLUDING GOD HAND, GRIM GRIMOIRE, More...

Absoludacrous said:
I'm betting straight emulation. No way these are HD with trophies and we don't get word about them except for a throw away line in a press release.

Can't be. The PS3 isn't capable of full PS2 emulation.

They have to be HD ports. The question now is, who is porting them. I doubt that it's Bluepoint considering that they've been busy with the ICO/SOTC and MGS HD collections.

Want to get excited, but can't unless I know who's porting it (could be Backbone for all we know...)

Whogie

Odin's Sphere!? Freaking cool.
Please be HD.

Edit: Ring of Red!? I forgot about that game entirely, but it was a lot of fun.

Noshino

"Consumers who are PlayStation Plus subscribers will receive a 20% discount during the launch week of each “Only On PSN” game. On top of that, if you spend $60 or more out of your PlayStation Network/Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) Wallet throughout the month of October, you'll be able to receive a $10 store credit towards purchases in November. This promotion isn't limited to just games - spending can be on add-ons, PlayStation Home micro-transactions, TV shows, movies, Music Unlimited subscriptions, etc.

“‘Only On PlayStation Network’ is our line of great exclusive games that users can count on to deliver exciting game experiences that can’t be found anywhere else,” said Susan Panico, senior director of PlayStation Network, SCEA. “This strong initial content offering, combined with the day one discounts for PlayStation Plus subscribers and the ‘Spend $60, Get $10 Back’ promotion, makes PlayStation Network the premier destination for digital content.”"

PSN+ REDEEMED

THIS IS JUST TOO MUCH

I CAN'T TAKE IT ALL AT ONCE

"And the program will also feature a selection of "rare classic games" added to the store on October 4, including God Hand, GrimGrimoire, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Odin Sphere and Ring of Red. "

Bold this shit OP!

Megaton we need mods to change the title

Glassboy

This is incredible. 20% every new title for the first week (plus subscribers :p) is pretty fucking awesome too. I'll probably buy most of those titles tomorrow

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Would they seriously announce FIVE HD PORTS of these games a day or so before release then drop them all on the same day? No way did they re-do all the beautiful 2D art for GG and Odin Sphere to make it HD either. It'll be upscaled at absolute best, but I'd expect a similar situation as PS1 classics.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Can't be. The PS3 isn't capable of full PS2 emulation.

They have to be HD ports. The question now is, who is porting them. I doubt that it's Bluepoint considering that they've been busy with the ICO/SOTC and MGS HD collections.

Want to get excited, but can't unless I know who's porting it (could be Backbone for all we know...)

So someone has been porting ridiculously niche PS2 games to the PS3? Just as some kind of "we're sorry" present? This keeps getting crazier and crazier.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
What the hell...I've got a pristine copy of Ring of Red sitting right here. That was gonna pay for my kids' collective college funds!

*shakes fist*

spats

Kagari said:
I don't think they're HD ports... just the PS2 games as is...

My thoughts too. I'm fine with that though.

edit:

Nuclear Muffin said:
What you're suggesting (emulation) is impossible. They HAVE to be ports.

They might technically be ports, but I don't think they will sacrifice tons of manpower to up the textures and add trophies for every single game. Only the biggest games will receive that, along with disc releases.

Flambe

Wow, I've always wanted to play Odin's Sphere but my launch PS2 can be finicky to say the least lol.

Haven't played God Hand either, I'm assuming by the reaction that it's also quality heh

bishoptl said:
What the hell...I've got a pristine copy of Ring of Red sitting right here. That was gonna pay for my kids' collective college funds!

*shakes fist*

Hah. Was it sealed? I sold my opened, barely played copy for like $10 a couple years ago.

duffyside said:
Heh, I had never seen that before. Over 2 million views too. What was everyone's best guess as to what it was going to be?

I think most of us just thought it was a teaser for their holiday marketing campaign.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Who says emulation is impossible? There is no reason they cannot software emulate just cause they magically took the feature out a while ago.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I hope these PS2 games aren't more than $15. $10 would be perfect, but probably not gonna happen.

$10 is day 1, $15 is "ehhhh... I'll wait for a sale"

duffyside said:
Heh, I had never seen that before. Over 2 million views too. What was everyone's best guess as to what it was going to be?
HOME stuff was my guess.

Maybe it is for a greater PSN push from Sony.

The teaser only seems to be a SCEA thing though so not sure how company wide the reveal is gonna be if its some kind of new PSN thing like a push for more ps2 classic's and the "only on PSN" banner.

a new PSN store was rumored to be in testing so maybe that could be launching plus some kind of new PSN marketing push will happen?

Grayman

Flambe said:
Wow, I've always wanted to play Odin's Sphere but my launch PS2 can be finicky to say the least lol.

Haven't played God Hand either, I'm assuming by the reaction that it's also quality heh
Well you may have heard the theme song posted "God Hand its the greatest game." The song does not lie.

Top Bottom