• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulated PS2 Games on PSN INCLUDING GOD HAND, GRIM GRIMOIRE, More...

kassatsu said:
Screw you guys... biggest news is PixelJunk Sidescroller having a date!

qW4iQ.gif

Whatever.

Noxie

Neo Member
Wow, never would have expected this. Looking forward to finally being able to play God Hand! Might even buy Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire again.

I hope people actually buy GrimGrimoire this time.

Gravijah

Noxie said:
I hope people actually buy GrimGrimoire this time.

it's still sitting sealed on my shelf. ;(

Glassboy said:
$11.99. I m calling it. Also, spend $60 get $10 back...HOLY SHIT! Sony is really starting to get their shit together.

$14.99. $19.99 for FFXII~

Glassboy

angelfly said:
Odin Sphere and Grim Grimoire :)

Now we just need prices.

$11.99. I m calling it. Also, spend $60 get $10 back...HOLY SHIT! Sony is really starting to get their shit together.

lobdale said:
Who says emulation is impossible? There is no reason they cannot software emulate just cause they magically took the feature out a while ago.

Ugh, not this again. The 80GB PS3s emulated the CPU only. The 80GB PS3 still featured the PS2's original GPU inside the hardware.

Because the PS3 has a lower level of memory bandwidth and a lower fillrate than the PS2, full software emulation is impossible.

spats said:
They might technically be ports, but I don't think they will sacrifice tons of manpower to up the textures and add trophies for every single game. Only the biggest games will receive that, along with disc releases.

Grayman said:
We can certainly see varying levels of a port though.

I never suggested otherwise. And what HD re-release has actually had any graphical upgrades besides basic work on the HUD? (The only examples that spring to mind are GOW Volume 2 Collection and RE: Code Veronica HD). The rest are all straight ports, running in HD and that's what I expect these to be here.

I just hope that they are being ported by a competent studio and not a garbage team like Backbone...

Grayman

lobdale said:
Who says emulation is impossible? There is no reason they cannot software emulate just cause they magically took the feature out a while ago.
It would take technical magic as graphics synthasizer in the PS2 has almost twice as much bandwidth as the RSX.

fernoca

lobdale said:
Probably like the Xbox 360 "backward compatibility"

Don't know why some act as if it's impossible or the PS3 to do it; when the 360 does. Only they stopped working on it.

More on a "per game basis;" than full emulation.

This will probably be like $14.99 / $19.99; like 'Xbox Originals' on 360. Hopefully less.

Yuripaw

Banned
If this kind of news keeps up, all I'll need is for them to put Persona 4 on the PS3, and I won't ever need my PS2 again.

Luigiv

I approve the selection of PS2 games. I had the opportunity to get God Hand and Grim Grimour many moons ago but for various reasons didn't. This now gives me the chance to correct my errors. Assuming these games reach the PAL shop, of course.

Kuran

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Can't be. The PS3 isn't capable of full PS2 emulation.

They have to be HD ports. The question now is, who is porting them. I doubt that it's Bluepoint considering that they've been busy with the ICO/SOTC and MGS HD collections.

Want to get excited, but can't unless I know who's porting it (could be Backbone for all we know...)
You..

Glassboy

Gravijah said:
$14.99. $19.99 for FFXII~
The sad thing is I would probably pay that, even for games that I already own, just for the ease of use and possible play on the vita. FF12 on vita...words couldn't even describe.

edeo

I hope they fix the horrible slowdown in Odin Sphere.

Just imagine fighting against the Queen of Death without everything chugging to a halt.

Suairyu

Banned
lobdale said:
It's never been a feature. What are you talking about?

The PS3 does not have the horsepower required to emulate a PS2 game. In fact, (if memory serves) in a couple of areas the PS2 has 'superior' hardware.

TP

That's really good news but a little too late for me. I bought a PS2 earlier this year and at this point I might as well keep buying physical and emulate (PCSX2) later on.
Digital versions might even cause some of these games' prices to drop. Yup, good news.

Aru

Will surely buy God Hand, Odin Sphere.

But not Maximo. Fuck that game. It's damn too hard :(
Bought it on PS2 when it was released in Europe. It was great but SO FREAKING HARD.

Aru said:
Will surely buy God Hand, Odin Sphere.

But not Maximo. Fuck that game. It's damn too hard :(
Bought it on PS2 when it was released in Europe. It was great but SO FREAKING HARD.

Maximo was the Demons Souls of the PS2 era.

I'm not even joking.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Suairyu said:
It's never been a feature. What are you talking about?

The PS3 does not have the horsepower required to emulate a PS2 game. In fact, (if memory serves) in a couple of areas the PS2 has 'superior' hardware.

Whoa dudes chill out. I am literally just asking who says it is impossible. Is it just "you guys" or did someone from Sony tell us it was impossible? I wonder how much financial sense it makes for them to pay someone to port these super-niche titles to run on the PS3. They have to be running in some kind of PS2 emulator running on the PS3, I just do not see reason they would port some of the biggest commercial bombs in PS2 history to the PS3 unless they just felt like throwing money away for AwesomeCred.

simtmb

Eh, not excited for this whatsoever. I still play my PS2 and all my other old consoles, but still nice to see.

Foil

Nuclear Muffin said:
Ugh, not this again. The 80GB PS3s emulated the CPU only. The 80GB PS3 still featured the PS2's original GPU inside the hardware.

Because the PS3 has a lower level of memory bandwidth and a lower fillrate than the PS2, full software emulation is impossible.

Yeah, at best I hope the PS4 can emulate PS1 and PS2 software. BWC on the original PS3 was such a great feature. It's a shame they took it out.

fernoca said:
Probably like the Xbox 360 "backward compatibility"

Don't know why some act as if it's impossible or the PS3 to do it; when the 360 does. Only they stopped working on it.

More on a "per game basis;" than full emulation.

This will probably be like $14.99 / $19.99; like 'Xbox Originals' on 360. Hopefully less.

It's too bad MS stopped working on it. They were only a few solid updates away from being close to complete.

lobdale said:
Whoa dudes chill out. I am literally just asking who says it is impossible. Is it just "you guys" or did someone from Sony tell us it was impossible? I wonder how much financial sense it makes for them to pay someone to port these super-niche titles to run on the PS3. They have to be running in some kind of PS2 emulator running on the PS3, I just do not see reason they would port some of the biggest commercial bombs in PS2 history to the PS3 unless they just felt like throwing money away for AwesomeCred.

Odin Sphere and Maximo were commercially successful. Odin Sphere went on to become GH and Maximo got a sequel. Not sure about GrimGrimoire or Ring of Red (which might have done ok given it was a near launch game). God Hand sold poorly, but has since been elevated to cult status.

Though even after typing all that I still agree it's some outta left field shit.

fernoca

lobdale said:
Reminds me of Xbox/Xbox 360 emulation/backward compatibility.

As they described, they basically created one emulator to make sure a game ran as perfect as possible (like Halo 1); and then turned out that other games also worked with that emulator. Is why stuff like that Barbie game ended as backward compatible. It wasn't like the team was looking forward to have Barbie running on Xbox 360; just that it happened to be one of the games that worked.

It wouldn't' surprise me if something similar happened here, if it's not a remaster/remake.

Seeing the collection of "rare/niche games" I doubt that this publishers were looking for ways to emulate/port them (even more after how Capcom stopped making Maximo games because both bombed* -the sequel even more- and went back to the original Ghost & Goblins); and more like someone was working on an emulator for "a bigger game" and this turned out to be some of the others that also worked with it.

We'll see.

*Not actual "bombs". ;p

BKK

If PS2 emulation was impossible on PS3 then Sony wouldn't have wasted time attempting a full software emulator in the first place, yet they did, and it can be used on hacked PS3s. It's clearly unfinished, and many games aren't full speed, but some are, and I see no reason why they can't tailor an emulator to run at full speed with specific titles.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What a selection. I interpret this a direct message to hardcore gamers that this service is legit.

duckroll

I think the most likely price for PS2 titles will be something like $14.99, with premium titles going for up to $19.99.

Anteater

hrrm if this is straight emulation, wouldn't it mean that it would be possible to release a patch (or some sort of launcher) that allows people with the original copy to play it on their ps3?

Top Bottom