• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulator Screenshot Thread

bomblord1

Banned
pcsx22015-12-2522-34-mzsoj.png

pcsx22015-12-2522-35-yksuq.png

pcsx22015-12-2522-39-a1sr8.png

Hey, great shots. FFXII is one of those games where I believe they ahd to intend for it to be rendered at a higher resolution there's no way details like those little flecks of blood on his face could have even been visible at 480p

5olid_5nake

Hey, great shots. FFXII is one of those games where I believe they ahd to intend for it to be rendered at a higher resolution there's no way details like those little flecks of blood on his face could have even been visible at 480p

Thx, I agree. Final Fantasy XII is one of those games that you can't believe were made for PlayStation 2. It is also one of those games that one can't believe we still didn't get a remaster.

Such a shame Square.

pcsx22015-12-2522-39-15jfn.png

pcsx22015-12-2522-44-x9khs.png

pcsx22015-12-2522-55-zwkri.png

5olid_5nake

pcsx22015-12-2614-09-dwjd9.png

pcsx22015-12-2614-09-sdj0w.png

pcsx22015-12-2614-13-35keq.png

Strange, can't seem to advance anywhere because of the invisible walls.
I have been searching for the solution of this particular problem and although I have been using the latest pcsx2 build, I just can't get rid of this glitch.

nded

Hey bud, looks like you're stretching. Here it is at 4:3.

If playing a 4:3 game in 16:9, be sure you've got a proper widescreen patch!

I think The Warriors has built in 16:9 support. Rockstar were always very good about that.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, in MAME64UI using an HLSL CRT shader:

j1Db.jpg

The game ran on Capcom's CPS-3 hardware, which was a rather interesting beast. It was designed entirely for 2D graphics at a time when 3D graphics were becoming dominant. It had an extremely elaborate security system - the encrypted game contents were stored on a CD-ROM, which were flashed to a bank of SIMMS on the mainboard at first power-on. The game data was then decrypted via a battery-powered cartridge that was extremely sensitive to any sort of tampering. If it detected any sort of meddling (even things such as touching the connector or removing the cartridge while the machine was running), the encryption key would be get erased, resulting in an unusable arcade machine.

As a result of all this, the CPS-3 was basically a flop, and only a half-dozen games were made for it. But the graphics of games like SF3 still look gorgeous even today, with an incredible fluidity of motion that made other 2D fighting games look jerky and stiff by comparison.
Thanks for the info, I love reading facts about games! Any other games great 2D titles using this hardware?

lazygecko

Is there an efficient way to determine what the native resolution of individual games are? I want to be sure to maintain the correct aspect ratio without stretching things horizontally. Speaking mainly about PS1 games here where the resolution can vary (and yeah, I know that the resolution can vary even in the game itself sometimes like for menus). I know that Symphony of the Night is in 256x224, for example.

I'm struggling right now in ePSXe with what appears to be some kind of sprite tiling issue with Breath of Fire 3. It's greatly aggravated by higher rendering resolutions. I get the gut feeling that it's still there even in 320x240, just not very noticeable. I don't know very much about this, like if it's something innate to the hardware much like the texture/polygon warping that also gets very noticeable at high resolutions.

I made a gif switching between 640x480 and 320x240 (zoomed 2x) to demonstrate the problem.

bof3tilingirp59.gif

Radius4

Is there an efficient way to determine what the native resolution of individual games are? I want to be sure to maintain the correct aspect ratio without stretching things horizontally. Speaking mainly about PS1 games here where the resolution can vary (and yeah, I know that the resolution can vary even in the game itself sometimes like for menus). I know that Symphony of the Night is in 256x224, for example.

I'm struggling right now in ePSXe with what appears to be some kind of sprite tiling issue with Breath of Fire 3. It's greatly aggravated by higher rendering resolutions. I get the gut feeling that it's still there even in 320x240, just not very noticeable. I don't know very much about this, like if it's something innate to the hardware much like the texture/polygon warping that also gets very noticeable at high resolutions.

I made a gif switching between 640x480 and 320x240 (zoomed 2x) to demonstrate the problem.

bof3tilingirp59.gif

For 2d games I'd suggest to use mednafen psx instead, or at least peops soft instead of the plugin you're using.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm glad to see this thread getting a resurgence. Thank you guys for posting so many great shots! For a while I was trying to comment on every post but that's quickly becoming difficult. Still, I love to see your guys shots and I'll still comment at random. Keep up the great work!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
f74d15a84c.jpg

8bfb98ef97.jpg

630b0f43ea.jpg

SETTINGS
Internal Resolution: 4800 x 2720
Window Size: 1920 x 1080
Post Processing: FXAA Anti Aliasing
Render Resolution: x10
Texture Filtering: Auto
Screen Scaling: Linear
Render Mode: Buffered Rendering
Texture Scaling: x5
Upscale Type: Hybrid + Bicubic
Anisotropic Filter: x16

bomblord1

Banned
f74d15a84c.jpg

SETTINGS

I really like that first shot it looks really painterly almost like a watercolor painting. Also thanks for posting your settings!

lazygecko

For 2d games I'd suggest to use mednafen psx instead, or at least peops soft instead of the plugin you're using.

Yeah, I'm using Mednafen now and it looks a lot better. I tried using the soft renderer but that didn't really make any difference with the sprites which still behaved like a messy jigsaw puzzle or something. Even in native resolution I can see how they jiggle around like crazy when there is movement (I know that the sprites inherently move a bit jerky in the game, but this wasn't that problem).

MediEvil (ePSXe, CRT Shader, Original Internal Resolution)

Are you playing in windowed or full screen mode? ePSXe doesn't let me run 240p in full screen. Is the CRT shader an external overlay like SweetFX or are you using some special kind of rendering plugin?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
589d2399b0.jpg

6653be2ae5.jpg

074db4dfc2.jpg

SETTINGS

Seeing the PS1 version reminded me I had some pics of the PSP version.

Radius4

Playing this on my Shield Portable so resolution is a bit low (720p screen) it looks great on the small screen.
I'm not using a shader since the low resolution is likely to produce uneven scanlines with non-integer scaling, not really a problem with a dark game like Super Metroid but I don't feel like complicating my setup so I'm using a scanline mask overlay at 20% oppacity

RetroArch-1227-181221.bmp

RetroArch-1228-184314.bmp

RetroArch-1213-011441.bmp

bomblord1

Banned
Playing this on my Shield Portable so resolution is a bit low (720p screen) it looks great on the small screen.
I'm not using a shader since the low resolution is likely to produce uneven scanlines with non-integer scaling, not really a problem with a dark game like Super Metroid but I don't feel like complicating my setup so I'm using a scanline mask overlay at 20% oppacity

RetroArch-1227-181221.bmp

RetroArch-1228-184314.bmp

Hey it's a portable it looks good enough for that to me.

If you're using ePSXe or another plugin-based emulator with OGL2 plugin, you can use the shaders to add anti-aliasing to get rid of the aliasing btw.

Nice shots though :)

Those are great I have a similar setup on my tablet with SNES9x and SNESoid (at 2560x1440 though lol), good stuff.

ySsybne.png

and one without SSAO or DOF:

xdNNzT3.png

Amazing shots bruv.
I always hated those low-poly models lol!

Yakuza 2. It's here i realize my mistake in playing in 4:3 in Yakuza 1
36ejv7.png

Holy shit son.

bomblord1

Banned
I will be looking at screenshots for the featured screenshots section of the OP probably by the end of the week just a heads up.

Can anyone recommend how to keep the feedback smooth in snesx? I'm trying to record footage of me losing to the Axem Rangers, but it lags a lot after the first few minutes and this is when I'm viewing the file in Movie Maker.

bomblord1

Banned
I've Updated The Featured Shots in the OP

Congratulations Wootkins, Omega, and Bayonetta

Some information about my thought process for the OP shots.
1. They had to follow the rules (no shots without listed settings etc).
2. I only chose 3 as the thread rules are 3 per post.
3. I did not put more than 1 shot from the same platform or game. I want the op to reflect the diversity of the systems and games present in this thread it would be boring to see all SMG shots or all Wii shots.
4. No more than 1 shot from the same user
5. I won't be posting my own shots in the OP.

This month was really tough because we had so many great shots posted back to back but I was able to narrow it down to 3. A few shots I was seriously considering were disqualified for not having their settings posted I know I sound like a broken record by now but come on guys pretty please xP?

I also chose a shot that was posted by me but was not my shot. Long story but a friend in another forum has yet to have his GAF account approved so he asked me to post the shots on his behalf.

These are the shots chosen this month:

Omega
Platform: GameCube
Game: Metroid Prime
Settings: Dolphin Ishiiruka build, 4x IR, FXAA, Widescreen hack, per-pixel lighting. Ishiiruka settings MATSDOF, Tone mapping color correction, Pixel vibrance. Reshade Settings, Lens Dirt, Bloom

irHFilT.png

Wootkins
Platform: Wii
Game: Sonic and the Secret Rings
Settings: Dolphin, 1080p, 4xSSAA, SSAO, DOF

ySsybne.png

Bayonetta
Platform: PSP
Game: Nayuta Endless Trails
Settings: PPSSPP, Internal Resolution: 4800 x 2720, Window Size: 1920 x 1080, Post Processing: FXAA Anti Aliasing, Texture Filtering: Auto, Screen Scaling: Linear, Render Mode: Buffered Rendering, Texture Scaling: x5, Upscale Type: Hybrid + Bicubic, Anisotropic Filter: x16

f74d15a84c.jpg

Top Bottom