• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey all encompassing info thread. First direct feed shots, London event.

tigger_pooh_sleuth_fleece.jpg

HUELEN10

AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, Mickey is still big. My kid would take Spongebob or Superwhy over any Disney character, but that's mostly because I've blocked the Disney channels. After seeing Winnie the Pooh dress up as a super-hero and go super-sleuthing with his super-friends and some girl, that was quite enough.
Darby, her name's Darby.
1424ief.jpg

I've seen a lot of kindergarten and 1st grade girls at my mom's school with Darby stuff. They've never even heard of Christopher Robin.

Pity them, for they know not what they missed. :(

pulga

Banned
GrotesqueBeauty said:
Oh Disney, what hast thou wrought? These are the perils of pursuing a "mature" fanbase.

You're so repressed. You're as curious as the rest of us, pal.

kZM719zYEmm7y1wdPl80LzLfo1_400.jpg

Mickey's on a whole other level from whatever's hot at the moment. He's everywhere, and in North America, where Disney World is regarded as some kind of Super Nirvana Heaven Place of Awesome, Mickey sits on the throne of ultimate happiness for kids.

Certain characters just get to a point where it doesn't matter what kind of daily material is around for people to consume. Mickey's as inexorably tied to American culture as Coca Cola is.

jrricky

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Yeah, Mickey is still big. My kid would take Spongebob or Superwhy over any Disney character, but that's mostly because I've blocked the Disney channels. After seeing Winnie the Pooh dress up as a super-hero and go super-sleuthing with his super-friends and some girl, that was quite enough.
:lol

Segata Sanshiro said:
Mickey's on a whole other level from whatever's hot at the moment. He's everywhere, and in North America, where Disney World is regarded as some kind of Super Nirvana Heaven Place of Awesome, Mickey sits on the throne of ultimate happiness for kids.

Certain characters just get to a point where it doesn't matter what kind of daily material is around for people to consume. Mickey's as inexorably tied to American culture as Coca Cola is.
That made me feel a little better.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Looks awesome, any ideas who the developer is?

And can you dweebs stop back-seat modding and get on with the thread

Truant

I guess it's totally different in America, because the vibe I'm getting from Europe is not so good. Anyway, I'm still glad he's big over the pond.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yoboman said:

I believe they're called Junction Point.

Warren Spector is the project lead, so, you know, get excited.

laserbeam

Banned
Yoboman said:

There is actually nothing we can really discuss since what we do know was banned from being discussed

Firestorm

laserbeam said:
There is actually nothing we can really discuss since what we do know was banned from being discussed
Nothing about Warren Spector leading this project has been banned from discussion.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Segata Sanshiro said:
If he *just* joined, I'd say it's really unlikely. Epic Mickey's been in the works for a while. This is definitely Warren Spector's baby.

well disney bought wideload games too (seropians company) it wasn't a joining like "hey, here's my resume" and we don't know what they've been working on

laserbeam said:
Well we could talk about Spector for a few hundred pages I suppose.
The only thing we aren't allowed to talk about is what system it might be for. Oh no, we have to actually talk about the game! How terrible and refreshing!

Annnnnyway,

I'm hoping it's some kind of quirky platformer. From the sounds of it, it very well might be. I'm not sure we need another Disney RPG, and I think a platformer could really let you enjoy all of that nice art without too much compromise.

Rez said:
Warren Spector is the project lead, so, you know, get excited.

Keeping in mind, of course, that Spector once had the choice between murdering Harvey Smith and burying him in the desert, and letting Harvey Smith take the lead on the sequel to Deus Ex.

DopeyFish said:
well disney bought wideload games too (seropians company) it wasn't a joining like "hey, here's my resume" and we don't know what they've been working on

Hopefully not this.

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm hoping it's some kind of quirky platformer. From the sounds of it, it very well might be. I'm not sure we need another Disney RPG, and I think a platformer could really let you enjoy all of that nice art without too much compromise.

I'm not too keen overall on 3D platformers. Personally, I'm hoping for an action-adventure game.

EdgecrusherLSU

Neo Member
Man, I really want this to be "Epic" but the cynic in me just won't let me have any hope. I think Sega has forever hardened my once open and hopeful heart.

Does anyone know what the word "beetleworx" means? I assume its what they are calling the automatons since they list that elephant one as a Wall Maintenance BWX. But I wonder if there is any significance to the word beetle. The only Disney characters I know that could be associated with it are Herbie and Bootle Beetle, but I don't think either of those characters would be villians that create evil robots. Maybe I'm giving it too much thought.

Jonnyram

I wish this were coming out for confirmed platform instead.
I wasn't planning to buy unconfirmed platform until they sort out the issues with the unconfirmed thingamajig.

imail

Can Epic Mickey refers to Epic's engine ==> "Unreal" ? If so then can the Unreal engine function correctly without blood ? then can we kill Goofy "with blood" ? am I thinking too much ?!

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
DevilWillcry said:
I need to see it NAO! The suspense is killing me. Fuck GI and their cock teasing.
The leaks about the game probably fucked up their plans, and they hoped we would be absolutely fucking baffled right now.

HUELEN10 said:
Going back on topic, has any new concept art been found since our initial digging and discoveries? Serious question here people. I would love to see new art!
I'm guessing after the story got so big, people realized that they probably shouldn't put up anything, or Disney tracked down every possible hole to fill it.

DopeyFish said:
could this be alex seropians game? he just joined disney
Nope, that's an original IP.

imail said:
Can Epic Mickey refers to Epic's engine ==> "Unreal" ? If so then can the Unreal engine function correctly without blood ? then can we kill Goofy "with blood" ? am I thinking too much ?!
No, "epic" as in "super-duper massive fantasy adventure type thing." No way Epic would let Disney use a trademark like that.

Also, given the caliber of the IP, I think Disney should attach trailers of it to Alice in Wonderland or Prince of Persia or whatever to increase awareness to non-hardcore folks.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Can anybody post the concept art we all found last time that hasn't been shown yet? With mice plugging up sludge monsters with pipework and the like?

One of those images was titled "phantom_blot" so it's pretty significant to the game I'd say. Too bad I never saved any of them myself or I would do it.

Also, that Donald/Goofy/Jafar/Crocodile/Parrot hybrid monster should be shown again just for how sick it makes me feel.

mein gott in himmel

Truant said:
I wonder if Mickey is even a part of normal kids lives anymore. Haven't seen a new TV-show or film with him in ages, at least not something that has garnered public attention. Not much of a problem, but a dark take on Mickey will not have the same effect if all you relate him to is the Disney logo and not much else.

This is why I have faith that Spector is making a genuinely mature game, rather than simply a less childish one. I mean; come on! It's Warren Fucking Spector :lol

HUELEN10

SovanJedi said:
Also, that Donald/Goofy/Jafar/Crocodile/Parrot hybrid monster should be shown again just for how sick it makes me feel.
Is that the one with the evil Tigger head on its side as well?

eXistor

The art looks absolutely mindblowingly cool. But I'm still curious: Disney is a huge company and, I would think, very protective of its characters. I know they're not doing anything worthwhile with them for years now, but I doubt steampunk is something they'd wanna do with their characters. If so, then my respect for Disney has increased slightly, but I just find it hard to believe that they would allow their characters to be portrayed like this, awesome as it is. Could this spell trouble for the project in any way down the line? I'm not knowledgeable about legalities and such at all, so maybe someone could clarify.

laserbeam

Banned
eXistor said:
The art looks absolutely mindblowingly cool. But I'm still curious: Disney is a huge company and, I would think, very protective of its characters. I know they're not doing anything worthwhile with them for years now, but I doubt steampunk is something they'd wanna do with their characters. If so, then my respect for Disney has increased slightly, but I just find it hard to believe that they would allow their characters to be portrayed like this, awesome as it is. Could this spell trouble for the project in any way down the line? I'm not knowledgeable about legalities and such at all, so maybe someone could clarify.

Disney owns the studio making the game so there wont be any issues

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
The Oswald stuff makes me think of of Joe Jump, which was a CGI film that Walt Disney Feature Animation had been working on few years about a burnt-out 80s Q*Bert-type game character attempting to "get back in the game" in the modern interactive era.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
EdgecrusherLSU said:
Does anyone know what the word "beetleworx" means? I assume its what they are calling the automatons since they list that elephant one as a Wall Maintenance BWX. But I wonder if there is any significance to the word beetle. The only Disney characters I know that could be associated with it are Herbie and Bootle Beetle, but I don't think either of those characters would be villians that create evil robots. Maybe I'm giving it too much thought.
Maybe they're just powered with beetles running around in hamster wheels to give those machines the juice they need.

Darkpen

Banned
What's with all of the grouchy old people in this thread?

HUELEN10 said:
My mom's an elementary school teacher, but she knows that the younger tykes love the fuck out of this show.

:(

Damn, we had the Disney Afternoon, we had it so good.

:(
What the fuck did I just watch.

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Various companies are discovering methods to do quick and cheap 3D animation, but eh.

AniHawk said:
I wonder if the characters/enemies will bleed ink.
that would be awesome :D

mavs

Seems like Disney is finally setting their sights on becoming a major games company? They have enough properties available to make Kotick look like a kid in a sandbox.

ggnoobIGN said:
Disney only recently re-aquired Oswald the Lucky Rabbit (they traded Al Michaels to NBC for him) and have been looking for some way to use him. This would make sense to have him in the game.

I was sure you were joking, but I looked it up anyway.. :lol

KAOz

Short bus special
pulga said:
Just saw the full one. That was all kinds of depressing.

And why the fuck would you want that as an ending. Listening to too much Linkin Park or Green Day?

I was mostly taking the piss with the dark stuff as it seems the game itself is aiming for a very dark and depressing world (at least from the concept art we've seen). ;)

Wait... Disney didn't allow the main character of Kingdom Heart (non a Disney char) to have a chainsaw... and they will allow a mechanized zombie Goofy?

I don't know how will be the final result, but all these concepts are too away the things Disney allowed with their characters ever.

Top Bottom