• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN: Blizzard having trouble recruiting for Overwatch League due to high cost

ZeroGravity

http://www.espn.co.uk/esports/story/_/id/19347153/sources-teams-hesitant-buy-overwatch-league

Activision Blizzard is struggling to sign franchises to its yet-to-launch Overwatch League because the asking price is too high, multiple sources close to existing franchises and investment partners told ESPN.

Multiple sources said Blizzard is asking for a $20 million franchise fee for the league featuring its popular 2016 title, with prices escalating from there in larger markets such as New York and Los Angeles. However, following the $20 million buy-in, teams are not guaranteed revenue sharing until after 2021 and only if Blizzard meets certain criteria that sources did not disclose to ESPN. Additionally, sources said if a team sells its spot to another party, the league would receive 25 percent of the proceeds.

Overwatch was released last year and, as of January, has 20 million players worldwide, according to Blizzard. The only established major esports leagues featuring the game are OGN APEX in South Korea and Overwatch Premier Series in China.

The $20 million evaluation is significantly higher than any buy-in into an esports league in the United States. A spot in the League Championship Series for Riot Games' League of Legends, the most popular game in the world and one of the most established esports leagues, sold for $1.8 million in December.

It was previously reported that the Kraft Sports Group, the family business headed by Robert Kraft that also owns the NFL's New England Patriots and MLS's New England Revolution, had closed in on a deal to purchase a spot. One source close to that negotiation told ESPN it was a handshake deal and includes a most favored nation agreement that allows the Kraft Group to buy in at the most favorable price given to another organization.

Recently, several organizations have pulled back from fielding Overwatch teams in other leagues. In January, Overwatch startup Reunited dropped its team because of financial problems and uncertainty surrounding Overwatch League. More recently, Team SoloMid parted ways with six of its Overwatch players after learning more information about the cost of joining Overwatch League, according to former player Taylor "b1am" Forrest. Additionally, Splyce, invested in by the parent organization of the Boston Bruins and TD Garden, announced it released its Overwatch team on Tuesday, though the org cites they had been talking internally about the release for a few weeks. One source told ESPN that he believes more organizations will soon drop their teams for similar reasons.

Sources said the price is the sticking point, but the game and league are still desirable to teams. Blizzard said earlier this year that Overwatch League was scheduled to launch in late 2017, but some organizations have expressed doubt whether the league will launch on time, given the current state of the negotiation.
Going to be pretty disappointed if Blizzard drops the ball with this. Overwatch is such a fun game to watch.

bluexy

Think the distrust in Blizzard's Overwatch League might stem from how they've handled competitive StarCraft 2 and Hearthstone? Not to mention the way competitive Overwatch has been downplayed so far?

As expected. There's very little interest for competitive Overwatch, the game is still not spectator friendly (and will never be) and from the very beginning the rumoured prices were absurd.

It's a shame that Montecristo and Doa died for this.

Syf

Banned
That's ridiculous for an unproven esport that doesn't even have very high viewership for tournaments yet. How about you drop the price, let the scene get established, and prove you can run it well before asking for anything that high.

Think the distrust in Blizzard's Overwatch League might stem from how they've handled competitive StarCraft 2 and Hearthstone? Not to mention the way competitive Overwatch has been downplayed so far?

The franchise fee is 10x league...

Also, no revenue sharing for 4 years and only if certain stats are met. Blizz seems really unreasonable.

Lulubop

That's ridiculous for an unproven esport that doesn't even have very high viewership for tournaments yet. How about you drop the price, let the scene get established, and prove you can run it well before asking for anything that high.

Also any momentum the competitive scene was building has been frozen due to the wait for this league to be established. I don't think it's a fun game to watch competitively either, personally.

danthefan

Wait am I understanding this right.

If I want to enter my team into this Overwatch league it'll cost twenty million dollars?

Edit, or is this the TV/streaming rights? I really know fuck all about esports.

Yukinari

I cant imagine paying that much for a game that has a laughable comp scene right now. Frustrating to play but also not viewer friendly.

Zemm

20 times more than a league of legends spot is absolutely ridiculous. They deserve to fail with that price.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Multiple sources said Blizzard is asking for a
giphy.gif

$20 million franchise fee for the league featuring its popular 2016 title

lol this is one esports titel

you're not the NFL or NBA
every organisation could just buy a CS:GO and Halo or Gears team and get revenue shares on ingame skins / sticker sales.
and that seems to be a more viable business decision.

right now this $20 million buy in is a huge gamble on Overwatch to become the #1 esports and you don't want to miss out your spot and have to pay $50m in 3 years.
make it $5 million and i bet several orgs are willing to make that bet
but at $20?

i do think tho, Blizzard want to get real money and investors involved.
those who own billion dollar sport franchises
but maybe that's a bit over ambitious

Lemstar

I'm sure that even a $20 million buyin is a minor risk to the kinds of investors they're trying to pick up for franchise slots, but I don't see how this is going to work out in the long run when they've basically kept the competitive scene in stillbirth for months:
  • announcing the OWL during Blizzcon last year prompted multiple top-end European teams to relocate to the US, which practically killed competition in Europe
  • the largest ongoing tournament series was shut down because... Blizzard didn't want them to do it anymore?
  • multiple organizations have divested themselves of their Overwatch rosters recently
When the original leaks regarding the OWL happened, there was a lot of speculation about there being a player draft and endemic esports teams getting the short end of the stick when they'd have to lose out on their rosters and all the development/marketing going into their players. As it turns out, I guess this was Blizzard's plan - if teams can't afford the League buyin and there aren't smaller tournaments for them to play in, they'll naturally have to release all their players with no compensation.

The structure for the World Cup should be reflective of Blizzard's attitude towards the existing esports environment - players being chosen are supposed to feel honored to represent their countries, which imposes upon them an obligation to do well, but having to practice on their own time with their national roster takes time away from doing it with their real teams.

It'd be nice if they learned to crawl before walking, but it doesn't seem like Blizzard's learned the right things from SC2.

Overwatch's Twitch numbers are dismal for a game that purportedly has 20 million MAUs, by the way. Part of it is that there aren't a whole lot of tournaments to watch, period, but outside of Seagull and Tim, individual stream viewership isn't great either. It feels like PUBG's taken a lot of the FPS audience from it.

Also, there's this:

Bobby Kotick has spoken about the longer term revenue goals for Overwatch League.

Blizzard's Overwatch League hasn't launched yet, but Activision Blizzard president and CEO Bobby Kotick has revealed that the company's long-term goal is to generate revenue of a ”similar scale" to the NBA and NFL.
Divi9yo.png

Zemm

i do think tho, Blizzard want to get real money and investors involved.
those who own billion dollar sport franchises
but maybe that's a bit over ambitious

Yeah at 20million they're basically hoping they'll get investors that don't actually understand what they're getting into, that's what it feels like. Because Overwatch as an esport is piss poor to watch, way worse than something like CS which is a much better and bigger competitive game and then the fighting games which are much easier to get into.

The Overwatch viewer numbers on Twitch for tournaments are laughable.

Baleoce

However, following the $20 million buy-in, teams are not guaranteed revenue sharing until after 2021 and only if Blizzard meets certain criteria that sources did not disclose to ESPN.

The bolded is bound to put people off. Who thought this was a good idea? I mean, there's the 20 mil as well of course, but big teams (let's face it, that's who this is for) would be looking to make an investment as well. And if that prospect isn't on the cards for 4 years then... what.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Damn, that's some coin they are asking. I don't think Overwatch is much fun to watch so I might be biased.

Quonny

A League of Legends team reportedly sold for 2.5 million recently (higher than the 1.8 in the article). League of Legends. The number one esport game in the world at the moment with over five years of growing pains (and there were and still are many).

And Blizzard wants 20 million? For a team in a game that doesn't even have a scene let alone a company that has proven anything in regards to esports.

Get the fuck out of here.

Overwatch is a fun game to play but I have serious reservations about turning it into a spectator sport.

jwhit28

If even the NFL owners are taking a wait and see approach, I don't expect the NBA affiliated teams to give it a shot. They seem much more educated on the matter.

Linkark07

Banned
Come on Blizzard, this is outrageous.

I thought they would have learned something after Starcraft 2 and Heartstone, but guess no.

TGMIII

That esports bubble.

This is completely on ActiBlizzard. Blizzard have mismanaged every competitive avenue they've touched. It's either that they're completely incompetent or greed drives them to try and squeeze every last drop they think they can get which results in disaster.

Not sure what bubble you're talking about.

Hari Seldon

Lol good luck with that Blizzard. Do people even watch any existing competitive overwatch? Does it even beat out Hearthstone?

Gurrry

I have a really tough time watching overwatch tournaments for some reason. Its different from mobas, but i cant put my finger on it. I think its the casting style of switching from one fps camera to another so rapidly.

I love OW, but Im not sure its going to be the draw that league or dota is.

Top Bottom