• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ET found in landfill [Xbox troll = ban]

Penguin

So I explained this story to my father and first thing he asks is why did Microsoft do this? I honestly couldn't answer him. I guessed PR but for most people it likely won't interest them and for those it does they'll find out neat and move on, doubt it'll change their opinion on Microsoft much. I mean I doubt this will appear in the papers tomorrow so the wider populace will be none the wiser. I see it is for a documentary but even there I have to ask what is Microsoft's interest in all this?

So I'll say neat and move on.

Seems like some good will

And also, if I read correctly doing a doc on this
So to get the "Full story" will need to check it out on Xbox One!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So I explained this story to my father and first thing he asks is why did Microsoft do this? I honestly couldn't answer him. I guessed PR but for most people it likely won't interest them and for those it does they'll find out neat and move on, doubt it'll change their opinion on Microsoft much. I mean I doubt this will appear in the papers tomorrow so the wider populace will be none the wiser. I see it is for a documentary but even there I have to ask what is Microsoft's interest in all this?

They're funding a documentary following this, to be released on XBL. Why MS PR people are there, I dunno.

pic
2f8336aa59f67b10520f6a7067000f20.jpg

Xater

It's not hard to explain, you just don't care. That's fine. Dumping unsellable inventory is not interesting on its own, but it was allegedly done in secret under the cover of night and Atari has denied it on-and-off over the years so it became an urband legend. That's all. As mentioned, it is only one part of the documentary. According to the people on site (which includes archaeologists(!), reporters and the general public), there is a lot more down there. The game itself is not rare at all, it's just an interesting story

For me it's just another part confirmed of the crazy Atari story. Reading about that company back then is just amazing.

ET got home on his own only because the ETs in the pit are his tribute; his sacrifice to the lord of light, because there's no way that Speak and Spell signal made it into deep space without the help of a cosmic elder.

For me it's just another part confirmed of the crazy Atari story. Reading about that company back then is just amazing.

If you haven't already, get a hold of a copy of Racing the Beam. You'll have new found respect for the people who managed to squeeze a working game out of the Atari 2600.

Vibranium

Banned
Awesome stuff, they actually did hit the mother lode! And to the cynics: no way this is fake, they probably knew the exact location beforehand but wanted people to be there to witness the discovery when filming the documentary.

I wonder what other stuff they'll dig up, the stories about Atari doing this at night are just crazy haha.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Well it's more about the story behind why they're there in the first place which the documentary sounds like it's going to cover. Them actually being there is just cool.

Is it really that big a mystery though? The game sucked and everyone knew it, keeping it around was bad PR and it was probably cheaper to just throw it away than sell it.

Is it really that surprising that the same people who made E.T., who would dump a ton of (probably) usable cartridge material, and ran the company into the ground would try to save face by denying they threw a ton of merchandise they thought they were gonna sell?

I just feel like I'm missing something here, at least with the reaction that this is getting.

"History being made!" is a little bit of hyperbole to finding a bunch of garbage games in the garbage don't you think?

This is also what's getting me to. Why is Microsoft putting any money into this?

r8AyNCE.gif

So, it was a myth, so it wasn't an legal operation to dispose of these... My question : now that we have proof it was burried, it must have been done illegaly, so can someone get sued ?

Vibranium

Banned
This is also what's getting me to. Why is Microsoft putting any money into this?

To film a documentary for their original Xbox programming. Sure some people may not be interested, but Microsoft seems to want to cover the story and it is something the general public might be intrigued by. More power to them I guess.

They're trying to mend their gaming cred. It probably cost < $100k to do and it's a ton of publicity and nostalgia, especially amongst the "gaming dad" crowd.

Exactly. Effective PR and a little fun at the same time.

CoG

They're trying to mend their gaming cred. It probably cost < $100k to do and it's a ton of publicity and nostalgia, especially amongst the "gaming dad" crowd.

Is it really that big a mystery though? The game sucked and everyone knew it, keeping it around was bad PR and it was probably cheaper to just throw it away than sell it.

Is it really that surprising that the same people who made E.T., who would dump a ton of (probably) usable cartridge material, and ran the company into the ground would try to save face by denying they threw a ton of merchandise they thought they were gonna sell?

I just feel like I'm missing something here, at least with the reaction that this is getting.

"History being made!" is a little bit of hyperbole to finding a bunch of garbage games in the garbage don't you think?

r8AyNCE.gif

It wasn't just because they had too much inventory, letting all the copies into the wild would devalue every other cartridge out there, telling people what they did would devalue the company, so they kept it secret. And the console market crashed anyway.

The years before that were like a Cambrian explosion of consoles, every manufacturer was having a go at the gold rush, trying out new things. It was fascinating then, it's just as fascinating now. The fact that you've asked the same question twice tells me you aren't really interested in the answer, but there you go.

It's like asking a train spotter what's so fascinating about logging engine numbers? it just is to the people who like it.

_Ryo_

The games or the hat?

The hat just looks like it's photoshopped on. I'm not saying the dig is fake. I mean, look at the hat on Larry and then at it on others, it's pop'd up like a spring on his head. Also, his head looks photoshopped too. Maybe he has a really big head? I dunno! xD

Xater

So, it was a myth, so it wasn't an legal operation to dispose of these... My question : now that we have proof it was burried, it must have been done illegaly, so can someone get sued ?

I guess that would depend on what the statute of limitations is for something like this.

The hat just looks like it's photoshopped on. I'm not saying the dig is fake. I mean, look at the hat on Larry and then at it on others, it's pop'd up like a spring on his head. Also, his head looks photoshopped too. Maybe he has a really big head? I dunno! xD

Hardhats do sit up high on the head, they aren't steamed and fitted like a gentleman's bowler.

What's up with you guys wanting this to be fake so bad you develop a conspiracy theory?

I wear a hardhat all day at work. Everyone I'm around does, too. Sometimes they sit like this. Especially if the supports haven't been fitted for the wearer, like a lot of the contractors and management personnel that I see.

RangerBAD

Put it on loosely atop his head to not get helmet hair.

r8AyNCE.gif

The documentary is about Atari in the 80s. The ET burial is just a part of the documentary.

You need to view the Xbox TV division as its own entity, only tangentially linked to the gaming side. They'll be covering a range of topics in their shows, many which won't be related to gaming at all.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
There have been previous attempts before to locate the supposed burial site of millions of unsold 2600 carts. It's only lately that I've found out Microsoft was involved in documenting the dig in this most recent attempt.

Also, another famous resting place of 3 Million unsold Atari 2600 games is the O'Shea limestone underground storage - http://www.oshealtd.com/atari.htm (which recently destroyed all their leftovers).

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/02/gamesetinterview_atariclassic.php

And apparently a significant amount of unsold carts were also shipped to South America as well. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211002-is-the-venezuala-source-bigger-than-the-osheas-source/

Aurongel

You guys are aware that the inside of hard hats have plastic bands that suspend the top of the hat from the top of your head right? They're supposed to look tall and goofy, that's how they absorb smaller impacts.

Savitar

Since I was a child we heard about the legend, the rumors.

And now they are true.

Truly ours has been a life worth living.

Those hats have an adjustable band inside them. If set too tight, the band will not wrap around the head, but it will just sort of float on top of it.
54RAIgc.jpg

Lynn616

I wish I didnt sell my 2600 now.

I'm not saying this is fake but LOL at Larry and that hard hat. It looks way photoshopped on.

I'm having a hard time believing this is true but I guess it is.

Wait. Are some people serious about thinking it is fake? I thought they were joking but I cant tell anymore.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

I don't think it was illegal, it's just not something Atari would have any reason to announce via a press release. Although I wonder how it was processed in the accounting books.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
There have been previous attempts before to locate the supposed burial site of millions of unsold 2600 carts. It's only lately that I've found out Microsoft was involved in documenting the dig in this most recent attempt.

Also, another famous resting place of 3 Million unsold Atari 2600 games is the O'Shea limestone underground storage - http://www.oshealtd.com/atari.htm (which recently destroyed all their leftovers).

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2009/02/gamesetinterview_atariclassic.php

And apparently a significant amount of unsold carts were also shipped to South America as well. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211002-is-the-venezuala-source-bigger-than-the-osheas-source/

Interesting. If only Atari games were worth anything today. Imagine if they were SNES-tier prices.

what? people aren't going to want to watch his fiction comedy version of the story just because the real ones were found?

I liked it better when it was just a weird urban legend. I think the fact that it isn't kinda diminishes my anticipation for the AGVN movie.

New002

You guys are aware that the inside of hard hats have plastic bands that suspend the top of the hat from the top of your head right? They're supposed to look tall and goofy, that's how they absorb smaller impacts.

I was just about to post something like this. They're supposed to look that way people :D

Nice find on the Atari carts.

Well, I mean...they certainly weren't gonna go to all this trouble and end up with an "Al Capone's vault" situation. They were gonna end up with E.T., regardless of whether or not it was actually there (not saying I don't think it was there).

(God, that Al Capone's vault reference is going to date me like crazy.)

They actually referenced it on that new show the Goldbergs a little while back. Don't feel bad. By the way, Goldbergs is funny shit.

StoopKid

The documentary is about Atari in the 80s. The ET burial is just a part of the documentary.

You need to view the Xbox TV division as its own entity, only tangentially linked to the gaming side. They'll be covering a range of topics in their shows, many which won't be related to gaming at all.

Really didn't know that.

I still don't get the whole exclusive tv shows to xbox thing.

Top Bottom