• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ET found in landfill [Xbox troll = ban]

It's more about the supposition that making a film about a mystery allows. Especially when it's been a mystery for decades.

Now that the facts are there an interpretation of what the actual truth might've been is less valid. That isn't the focus of the AVGN movie, but at least a facet. "I wonder what was really at the site", "Oh, they dug that up. There were actually games there", "Oh, ok".

I just found it weird a tie-in wasn't made, but evidently that was James' call.

Ok how much of a difference is that going to make? How many people are now thinking "well I was planning on watching his movie but not anymore!".
I am going to say less than 2 people

Rizzi

What are they going to do with all of the copies of ET? Because uh they just dug up ET.
Nobody wants that shit.

border

I sincerely doubt that you can recycle a game cartridge anyway. I guess you could recycle the plastic case, but the ROM chips themselves are going to be pretty useless.

DrKelpo

Banned
WoAl1VR.png

thefit

I heard there was curse cast onto Atari and anyone who dug this up by the area Native Americans for burying the carts in what used to be sacred land to them.

Did you get some "memorabilia"?

No. There's something in the contract that the production company/Xbox/whatever has with the city that says that the vast majority of what they find stays city property and they can only take a few. Those few have to be documented, cataloged, etc.

I couldn't get home fast enough. The wind today was terrible.

m@cross

It's just kind of interesting, as proven by the fact you decided to come into this thread.

Not saying it has zero interest value, but I came more to see what the big deal was, expecting an alien corpse or something. Its a bunch of crap plastic cartridges from a failed game, isn't this pretty normal or am I missing a nuance here?

I've actually owned and played this game as a kid.. probably in my attic still. Sure it was a flop and all that, but just not seeing the draw that makes it TV worthy.. Reminds me of Al Capone's vault except they did find something, but what it was is not very exciting.

Recall

It took longer for the red tape to be removed to allow people to dig there than it did to find the cartridges.

It is great that a famous video game myth has turned into fact.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So why does this matter to anyone other than to prove the game sucked so they buried the unsold ones? I am sure it is not the first game to hit a landfill and it is not like it is surprising that this game would be one of them.

What is really sad? How little it has decayed after that many years... my god.

The burial of unsold Atari 2600 games is a symbol of the videogame crash of 1983. That's what makes it different from other disposed videogames.

i always wondered why this was thought to be myth. aren't there any ex atari employees alive to confirm this. or did they like the mythology of it all or just didn't want to admit defeat?

sangreal

i always wondered why this was thought to be myth. aren't there any ex atari employees alive to confirm this. or did they like the mythology of it all or just didn't want to admit defeat?

it was originally confirmed back when it happened, but since then they've mostly denied it. Their current claim is that management/ownership changed so many times that they have no clue if it is true

Alienous

Yeah, I meant copies of ET. That was always the meat of the urban legend, to me.

Not "Atari buried a couple 100-100,000 copies of their unsold games, including some copies of ET, in New Mexico" but "Atari buried over a million copies of ET in New Mexico because it was so bad".

This all seems to me like tracking down the Loch Ness monster and it being a big jellyfish. Where are the millions of copies of ET, however damaged they might be? I'm waiting for that.

I thought this was pretty well established to be true? I guess from the way everyone is losing their shit that most people considered it a myth.

Jarrod38

I thought this was pretty well established to be true? I guess from the way everyone is losing their shit that most people considered it a myth.

I think it was just volume of games that were buried. I always been told it was by the millions of just ET copies.

ElRenoRaven

I think the excitement is that they are in as good shape as they are. It was said that they actually shredded them up and then cemented over the remains. Hell some people from Atari still denied it to this day.

The day has come. I really want to watch the documentary once is available.

Seems like this would just bring more publicity to the E.T. story.

and AVGN's movie is not exactly aiming for wide appeal anyway, so it's kinda funny seeing people claiming it's gonna hurt his film somehow, but then again, people have been wanting that movie to die since day 1 for some odd reason. *shrug*

That movie will be lucky to make a million at the box office. Why the hell would anyone want that film to die?

Major Nelson

Neo Member
Neat. Stuff like this interests me, so I'll definitely be watching this.

Major Nelson looks so awkward there, like he can't relax. Mind you, he's holding one of the worst games ever, so yeah.

After standing in a filthy landfill for hours with the occasional skin penetrating dust storm kicking up reducing visibility to about 2 feet..yea, it was a bit awkward.

I'm glad to see this day finally come. A page has closed in the history of video games after thirty years. Now I really wanna the see the documentary and the AVGN movie.

I think most people thought it was true, but since this documentary was announced they've of course talked about it like it was a mystery. Kind of convincing people they don't know what they previously knew.

They obviously knew it was there and exactly where to find it, they didn't just pick a random spot and amazingly strike gold.

I feel like if anything, the AVGN movie would benefit from this. I'd imagine that if more people are aware of the game's story now, they'd want to see a film loosely based on it. At least more people would be like that instead of "but they dug it up so it's shit".

Top Bottom