• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

eff that man Q1 is Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate territory

I forgot that game is even coming out, I'd just get both and clock hundreds of hours on each of them.

We don't even have a date for MH4U, and knowing Capcom they will fuck us like usual(I really hope they release it on Feb/March).

omlet

Don't leave us in suspense, man!

Actually I'm going to bed now so it's okay if you leave me in suspense right now.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Reporting back in, been really getting into EOIV, currently maybe half way through the second labyrinth. I feel like I'm playing a really boring/uninteresting party, though, but I'm not sure how I can branch it out. I have:

L / F
R / S / M

I'd really like to get a Nightseeker or Dancer in to see how they could change it up, but I feel like I need all the members I have. Anyone want to sway me on what I could/should switch up?

You can change your M for a Dancer and have her passive heal a line with her dances, I'd put her in front.

By the end of the second labyrinth you get a new class, change your Sniper for the new class; or get a Nightseeker, when Nightseekers reach level 40 and they get Venom Throw, they become amazing.

Kirlia

Banned
I can't play until tonight anyway.

It's okay! I'm curious to hear about the game more, though, especially since I've never played a Persona game and, because of that, feel apprehensive of picking this game up. It feels like I should play 3 and 4 before giving this game a go.

butzopower

proud of his butz
You can change your M for a Dancer and have her passive heal a line with her dances, I'd put her in front.

By the end of the second labyrinth you get a new class, change your Sniper for the new class; or get a Nightseeker, when Nightseekers reach level 40 and they get Venom Throw, they become amazing.

I'm pretty reliant on the after battle passive heal of the Medic, does Dancer offer anything like that? Or should I just use items to heal outside of battle?

EDIT: I barely use items as is now outside of Threads and the occasional Nectar, am I doing it wrong?

I'm pretty reliant on the after battle passive heal of the Medic, does Dancer offer anything like that? Or should I just use items to heal outside of battle?

You shouldn't need to heal THAT much considering you're constantly getting healed and your Fortress is just taunting(unless you're underleveled).

Use items, but you shouldn't need to use a bunch of them, if you really like your Medic then keep him/her.

Kirlia

Banned
You shouldn't need to heal THAT much considering you're constantly getting healed and your Fortress is just taunting(unless you're underleveled).

Use items, but you shouldn't need to use a bunch of them, if you really like your Medic then keep him/her.

Can't stress this enough. Don't feel like you have to go with a certain character
although the Second Stratum class is one of the best supportive classes in the game
because everyone suggests you to. When you get subclassing later (I hope this isn't a spoiler to you), Medic/Fortress is really good, especially since another Holy Blessing user on the battlefield never hurts,
especially when you get to the Sixth Stratum

spiritfox

So...

OtWb5mN.jpg

Persona Q is an Etrian Odyssey-ass Etrian Odyssey with a Persona skin, as expected. Pretty much everything from modern EO games are all inside, even the 60-slot bag. Personas replace the skill tree from EO, and are pretty much similar to the Persona games. The combat system is pretty much EO, but hitting weaknesses will allow the character to move first the next turn. Which can be pretty powerful, but you'll get unboosted if you get hit. Leader Skills are the Bursts in this game, and is dependent on your support character (i.e. Fuuka, Rise).

It does hold your hand a lot in the beginning, but I guess it fits since it's suppose to be a bridge between the 2 franchises. But do they need to tell you about secret passageways? -_- There's even a dedicated shortcut icon that helpfully points the correct way once you put it down. Thanks, I guess.

You can save on your SD card even if you are using a cart (which I am obviously), but map data is only saved on your SD card. I'm not sure what would happen if you switch systems, since I only have 1.

One thing that is annoying is that you can only input 6 characters for your first and last names. It means I can't put Yu Narukami, since it goes over the limit. >.<

Also, one last thing.

Totally not canon.

spiritfox

I hate Rei already.

edit: sub-Persona-ing makes dungeons pretty trivial. You use the sub's HP and SP first, and they automatically regenerate all their HP and SP after battle. You can pretty much not use any SP during a battle because of that. Also, there's a "go to lowest floor" option when you enter a dungeon. -_-

Damnit, so i got this quest in Scarlet Pillars (EOIV) where i need to go to some Moth labyrinth. The thing is i can't get NEAR the place since there's this damn Omnihunter FOE patrolling around it... that guy one shots most of my guys so it seems i am clearly outmatched here... There a way around him? I tried but to no avail since he moves 2 or 3 spaces per Turn :( Should i just keep going with the main quest until i level up enough to kick this guy's ass?

spiritfox

Damnit, so i got this quest in Scarlet Pillars (EOIV) where i need to go to some Moth labyrinth. The thing is i can't get NEAR the place since there's this damn Omnihunter FOE patrolling around it... that guy one shots most of my guys so it seems i am clearly outmatched here... There a way around him? I tried but to no avail since he moves 2 or 3 spaces per Turn :( Should i just keep going with the main quest until i level up enough to kick this guy's ass?

They like to eat sheep.

Draw one of the Dream Eaters nearby with some food. The Omnihunter will be attracted to it and move away from the cave.

omlet

Well, people call Persona games SMT for casuals, so in a way it's not surprising. This game is probably going to get a lot of interest from Persona fans who haven't played EO so it makes sense that it does more hand holding than EO vets need/want. If it pulls more people into mainline EO games, though, then that's a good thing!

Go to lowest floor doesn't sound too bad as long as it's not floor jump that lets you skip around to any floor from any floor. Once you get shortcuts unlocked in EO games, getting from the pole/stairs to where you left off is usually not something that really pressures your party.

I'm still looking forward to it though that sub-Persona-ing mechanic with auto regen sounds really lame. How is the difficulty/balance so far in general? Do random encounters actually challenge you?

spiritfox

Well, people call Persona games SMT for casuals, so in a way it's not surprising. This game is probably going to get a lot of interest from Persona fans who haven't played EO so it makes sense that it does more hand holding than EO vets need/want. If it pulls more people into mainline EO games, though, then that's a good thing!

Go to lowest floor doesn't sound too bad as long as it's not floor jump that lets you skip around to any floor from any floor. Once you get shortcuts unlocked in EO games, getting from the pole/stairs to where you left off is usually not something that really pressures your party.

I'm still looking forward to it though that sub-Persona-ing mechanic with auto regen sounds really lame. How is the difficulty/balance so far in general? Do random encounters actually challenge you?

It's not particularly hard right now (nobody died yet), but it might be because I'm playing on Normal (not sure how hard Hard was...), or maybe they're trying to ease the players in by making the first dungeon easier. Supposedly you can change your difficulty on the fly, but I haven't unlocked it yet. And yes, I agree that this is basically similar to EOU in that it's supposed to ease people into the series by giving them an easier, more approachable, game. But hopefully it gets harder, since I'm not really feeling challenged right now.

Also, binds are in the game, just named slightly differently (magic-bind, strength-bind, and agility-bind).

Edit: Wait, you can change difficulty from the start, you just need to not be in a dungeon >.< You can't choose Risky (the highest difficulty) except at the start though.

Rutger

Banned
Map data is only saved on the SD card? That's strange.

I'll wait before saying the HP/SP regen is a bad mechanic until I hear or see how it works with higher difficulties and later dungeons. The go to the lowest floor thing probably will not bother me, EOII had something very similar, and it's not like old floors are ever any trouble in an EO game.

Risky can only be picked at the start huh? Strange. Oh well, I was always going to start with it anyways.

ohlawd

regen HP/SP every battle sounds... yeah.

if that mechanic really makes the rest of the game trivial, then I can blast through the game quick and move on to other games.

Anustart

Got a formaldehyde in eo 4 and decides to use it on the second boss who reappeared. Now I'm being taunted by an armor I can't buy because i dont know where the next ingredient is lol.

Anyway, back to the echoing library with logre.

if that mechanic really makes the rest of the game trivial, then I can blast through the game quick and move on to other games.
I was thinking the same thing.

It may distract me from playing EOIV but that's fine.

ohlawd

Got a formaldehyde in eo 4 and decides to use it on the second boss who reappeared. Now I'm being taunted by an armor I can't buy because i dont know where the next ingredient is lol.

Anyway, back to the echoing library with logre.

the music in 4th Land

uuuuummmmmpppphhhh

Anustart

the music in 4th Land

uuuuummmmmpppphhhh

I'm liking it as well. Battle music is great too.

There's a damn area on floor 1 of library I can't figure out how to get to. I see there's a short cut, but I can't find a way into that area to come through the other side.

tuffy

There's a shortcut in the Echoing Library that is opened up from the next floor, so don't worry if you can't find a passage to it from the floor that you're on.

This is why Picnic Mode should be a thing. Wanna buy a Dungeon Crawler yet not play a Dungeon Crawler? Borkened regen after battles and floor jump. Actually want what you bought? Hard-Ass EO Normal Mode.

It's the same mistake P4 Golden and a ton of games before that did of lowering what a certain level of difficulty mode entails.

How exactly do Links work (EOIV)? I mean i unlocked some Link skill for my LK but whenever i use it i notice NO difference whatsoever in the amount of attacks my party gets? It says that with this skill some othr member of my party would get an additional attack or something? How does it work though?

What a joke, I might play on Risky so the game is a challenge at all.

How exactly do Links work (EOIV)? I mean i unlocked some Link skill for my LK but whenever i use it i notice NO difference whatsoever in the amount of attacks my party gets? It says that with this skill some othr member of my party would get an additional attack or something? How does it work though?

You need Improved Link for the magic to happen, basically your Linker would do this:

Turn 1: Vanguard(extra damage and YOU WANT TO ACT FIRST)
Turn 2: Improved Link(For 3 turns, extra chases)
Turn 3: One of the 3 elemental link attacks

For Turn 3, you want to use whatever linking skill(Electric for example) and then have someone(usually your Dancer/Sniper/Runemaster) to attack several times so your linker attacks several times, doing tons of damage.

Here are some good attacks that will help you Link:

-Glacier/Galvanic Rune (can get between 4 and 5 hits each, usually; each has roughly a 50% chance to proc a chaser, so you will get 2-4 chasers from them on average)
-Multi-Slash from Bushi (with hitcount based on HP, low HP can mean up to approximately a dozen hits, and with a so-so chance of proccing chasers per hit, you might get 4 or 5 on average, so long as you can reliably hit more than that many times with it)
-Swift Edge from Nightseeker (4-5 powerful hits, each hit has a reasonable procrate for chasers, and thanks to Nightseeker Follow Trace, you can easily have a second chance at it, landing even more hits)
-Squall Volley (with as many as 16 hits, with low accuracy mod, if you can get an enemy STUCK and take them all, you might have it made)
-Blade Dance from a Dancer/Nightseeker dual-wielding (with a chance at hitting as many as 6 or 7 times, each GUARANTEED to proc a chaser, they are not to be underestimated, but do require luck; using Trick Samba in conjunction with their regular attacks can bring a good deal of them out)

I had my Runemaster spam Galvanic Rune and my Dancer/Nighseeker just auto attacking whenever she wasn't dancing, that was more than enough.

When you're level 40 you can also get points into Link Mastery, which makes it so every chase does extra damage.

I might be missing something but I hope this helps.

omlet

Mauricio described the way to set up Link attacks for good damage but didn't really explain what Links are. Links from EOIV's L are "chaser" attacks (described briefly in OP). They only trigger for attacks after the L uses their link skill, which is why Vanguard is a thing.

It takes 2 turns minimum (3 for anything that won't die in one round of Link attacks after using Vanguard) to get to the Real Damage (tm) of a Linker setup.

Mauricio described the way to set up Link attacks for good damage but didn't really explain what Links are. Links from EOIV's L are "chaser" attacks (described briefly in OP). They only trigger for attacks after the L uses their link skill, which is why Vanguard is a thing.

It takes 2 turns minimum (3 for anything that won't die in one round of Link attacks after using Vanguard) to get to the Real Damage (tm) of a Linker setup.

haha, I forgot that small detail.

Basically Linking is having your Linker attack first, then wait for others to attack to "chase" and attack again. I can see why he might be confused because Linking is useless till you understand that you need to use Vanguard and Improved Link.

I honestly never used Linking because I felt I was fine without it and because I hate having to chain together elemental attacks.

tuffy

Linking can be quite powerful, but it's also fragile in EOIV because there's a lot of setup and a lot of things that can go wrong. If the Landsnarkt gets bound, or incapacitated, or killed, you're out of luck. If those follow-up hits don't materialize, you're out of luck. If Vanguard wears off, you'll need to set it up again or you're out of luck. And so on.

ohlawd

I used Linking until postgame. By then, I got tired of taking three turns just to set up >_>

thank you, Imperials.

I used Linking pretty much the whole game and never had problems, I thought the post game would force me to change my strategy but that never happened.

My Linking got interrupted at times but I never depended 100% on my Links, I had my other member doing enough damage. Also subbing your Linker as a Bushi is awesome because you don't even need Links, he already does crazy damage on his own.

I used Linking until postgame. By then, I got tired of taking three turns just to set up >_>

thank you, Imperials.

Imperials are broken.

syncyes

I didn't use Vanguard on my link Landshark. Saved me a turn of setup and made her more viable imo. The only character I had who had more AGI was my dancer and I weighed him down with swords.

The equipment you put on your character matters, so on my Land/Bushi I had her dual wielding a Rapier (+2 action speed) and a Katana (+2 action speed), took heavy armor off of her since it was -action speed, and had her wearing shoes (+4 action speed), preferably +agi shoes. Then I weighed down my Dancer/Nightseeker with dual wielded swords (-2 action speed each) and my Land was moving first no matter what. No Vanguard turn, yay~

Hmmm ok thanks for the info, i will try this as soon as i play and see whether i like it or not... I sure could do with some extra damage right now as i feel pretty weak most of the time ever since i hit the 2nd Land. I need to invest into Vanguard now though ;)

omlet

The equipment you put on your character matters, so on my Land/Bushi I had her dual wielding a Rapier (+2 action speed) and a Katana (+2 action speed), took heavy armor off of her since it was -action speed, and had her wearing shoes (+4 action speed), preferably +agi shoes. Then I weighed down my Dancer/Nightseeker with dual wielded swords (-2 action speed each) and my Land was moving first no matter what. No Vanguard turn, yay~

Yeah, that's a smart way to do it as long as you don't rely on a nightseeker for your leading hits. My NS with Speed Boost and a few AGI books is so fast she even acts before Fallen One's crazy fast bind-all skill, even with heavy weapons. It's great :D! Linker party doesn't get its damage from raw weapon damage so the L doesn't need the most powerful, heavier weapons.

Isn't Landshark's "canon" armor leather? I know they can wear heavy armor but I think their class-specific armor is medium, isn't it?

Yeah, that's a smart way to do it as long as you don't rely on a nightseeker for your leading hits. My NS with Speed Boost and a few AGI books is so fast she even acts before Fallen One's crazy fast bind-all skill, even with heavy weapons. It's great :D! Linker party doesn't get its damage from raw weapon damage so the L doesn't need the most powerful, heavier weapons.

Isn't Landshark's "canon" armor leather? I know they can wear heavy armor but I think their class-specific armor is medium, isn't it?

Demon Mail says otherwise(L's endgame armor)

Top Bottom