• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

spiritfox

Just hit floor 3, and ow the enemies are hitting harder now (or maybe it's because I'm on Hard now). Just had my first wipe due to a Mind Charged Mabufu.

Edit: Oh god those beetles hurt.

syncyes

I think they become available as you go a bit deeper in the 6th stratum. Around floor 27 or 28 I believe.
They all have a maximum difficulty rating.

As someone who did them very recently, they're actually available right after you go into the postgame. Three quests related to the dragons pop up, and once you finish the initial quest you get another one that boils down to GO KILL THIS THING and increase the level cap.

At least, that's how it worked for the fire dragon. Might not hold true for the other two?

EDIT: I just realized this wasn't about EOIV. Oops. Clearly I've been focusing on that game too much recently.

Nachos

So, does anyone think that the "D" and "X" websites might finally get revealed on Monday? If that X is supposed to be a multiplication symbol, then I think that some sort of crossover could be possible, like an Etrian-style Mystery Dungeon/Shiren the Wanderer game.

Which ones are those? I don't think I've come across them yet...

The starter quests should become available starting at the 27th floor, and you'll unlock a quest for an additional dragon with each successive floor conquered. Once you finish the starter quests, you'll unlock the quest for actually fighting them. If you're playing on expert, though, I just hope you've got a protector for the elemental walls and have the resources for status-nullifying items.

As someone who did them very recently, they're actually available right after you go into the postgame. Three quests related to the dragons pop up, and once you finish the initial quest you get another one that boils down to GO KILL THIS THING and increase the level cap.

At least, that's how it worked for the fire dragon. Might not hold true for the other two?

Really? I finally got around to completing it over the summer, and I explicitly remember that the dragons don't appear until you're a little ways in, and that the order of unlocking was volt, ice, fire. Maybe the volt dragon was available from the start, but that was it for me.

Either way, the volt starter involves the ankhs around the 5th stratum, the ice one involves proving the dragon exists in a secret area of the 3rd stratum, and the fire one takes you back into the 2nd stratum, but I forgot what you do there.

OuterLimits

I have read some posts telling people to play IV before Untold. Wouldn't it make more sense playing Untold first since IV has better features overall and you would probably miss them when playing Untold?

Having a blast with Untold. I know many don't like story mode, but I'm having fun with it.

Persona Q coming out soon. So much first person dungeon crawling goodness.

ohlawd

you can't floor jump and run in IV.

but then Untold has grimoire stones and that's a negative ten billion points.

you can't floor jump and run in IV.

but then Untold has grimoire stones and that's a negative ten billion points.

Pretty much these. Grimoire stones are weird and random and I don't like not having control over them. Sucks they're in EO2U as well (unless they've been refined better).

I feel like EOIV is a just a much better game. Though I haven't finished Untold because I recently restarted it because story mode was horrible and prevented me from wanting to play it. I'm on the 2nd stratum on classic currently.

I wanted to finish EOU before PQ but I don't think that is happening. I'm really looking forward to PQ despite how casualised it probably will be.
I jumped in Etrian at IV so I probably have no place in saying that

syncyes

Really? I finally got around to completing it over the summer, and I explicitly remember that the dragons don't appear until you're a little ways in, and that the order of unlocking was volt, ice, fire. Maybe the volt dragon was available from the start, but that was it for me.

No, you guys are totally right. I've been playing too much EOIV and my mind is filled with it so I accidentally misread everything.

Zweizer

Banned
Pretty much these. Grimoire stones are weird and random and I don't like not having control over them. Sucks they're in EO2U as well (unless they've been refined better).

Trailers showed some changes. Seemingly we now can level up the skills in the grimoires.

Nachos

Trailers showed some changes. Seemingly we now can level up the skills in the grimoires.

Yup, they look like they're weaker/less overpowered overall, but they're so much more convenient. Each stone can only hold one skill, but you now have multiple slots and get more as you level up. There are also multiple types of grimoire chances that will affect what skill you get, and you'll be notified of what skill you got the moment the character who got the chance acts. And, like you said, you can trade stones to level up skills instead of needing to hunt down a new one, and you can also sell them, too.

Speaking of new stuff, though, some new scans came out the other day, and it finally confirmed that that the royalty get their alt colors, even though none of the other classes have any, except the new highlanders.

Laconic

Banned
Yup, they look like they're weaker/less overpowered overall, but they're so much more convenient. Each stone can only hold one skill, but you now have multiple slots and get more as you level up. There are also multiple types of grimoire chances that will affect what skill you get, and you'll be notified of what skill you got the moment the character who got the chance acts. And, like you said, you can trade stones to level up skills instead of needing to hunt down a new one, and you can also sell them, too.

Speaking of new stuff, though, some new scans came out the other day, and it finally confirmed that that the royalty get their alt colors, even though none of the other classes have any, except the new highlanders.

Wat.

New Highlanders???

We get them in this one too? :()

tuffy

I thought they were always described as the less tanky, more offensive tank of the games?

Linking and chasing wasn't really a huge thing, per se, until 3, was it?
EO II had some Landsnerkt chasing as I recall, but they were limited to one hit per element per round and weren't all that useful. Once EO III had Warrior's Might chase all the hits it became an insanely powerful strategy. EO IV dialed chasing parties back again to be a bit more balanced, but still potent enough to be useful.

Zweizer

Banned

Yeah, they're all pretty sensible changes. Good on Atlus for making them, though I wonder if the KIng Grimoires will make a comeback.
Please let us get Begone or End-Wind.

Nachos

Yeah, they're all pretty sensible changes. Good on Atlus for making them, though I wonder if the KIng Grimoires will make a comeback.
Please let us get Begone or End-Wind.
They showed a screenshot of the new guild card template, and there aren't any slots. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that they won't still be there, though. I just hope it's easier to get them this time around, if they are in.

Wat.

New Highlanders???

We get them in this one too? :()
They're paid DLC, but like with the Ultimax characters, they'll be free for the first week or so.

Zweizer

Banned
They showed a screenshot of the new guild card template, and there aren't any slots. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that they won't still be there, though. I just hope it's easier to get them this time around, if they are in.

I at least hope they won't depend on arbitrary in-game statistics if they return, but rather become a conditional drop.

They're paid DLC, but like with the Ultimax characters, they'll be free for the first week or so.

So, like with Ultimax, we can expect that it won't be free for Europeans?

fucking yuck

EO doesn't need fucking crossovers, not with bottom tier IPs.

I wouldn't have expected you to hate Dangan Ronpa, haha.

I'm really half kidding though. I'd much prefer EO stayed mostly pure. I'm glad that Persona Q distances itself in name, if not totally in mechanics. SpikeChunsoft's president being there certainly indicates something strange, though, and I'd definitely prefer something like DR to Conception if I had to have something.

Or Zero Escape. l o l

Shiina

I wouldn't have expected you to hate Dangan Ronpa, haha.

I'm really half kidding though. I'd much prefer EO stayed mostly pure. I'm glad that Persona Q distances itself in name, if not totally in mechanics. SpikeChunsoft's president being there certainly indicates something strange, though, and I'd definitely prefer something like DR to Conception if I had to have something.

Or Zero Escape. l o l

Do you know why it's called Q?

Anustart

Took down the fourth boss, 2 of my people dead, others in the red and then...his head popped off and started counting down. Noooooo! I had fought so hard! Had my fortress ally shield though so one lived, phew!

Took down the fourth boss, 2 of my people dead, others in the red and then...his head popped off and started counting down. Noooooo! I had fought so hard! Had my fortress ally shield though so one lived, phew!

Ah, that Etrian Odyssey boss experience. You get one you one-shot and you get concerned.

Oh yeah, that part of that boss fight kind of took me off guard, too... luckily the guest character who joins you as a sixth party member in that dungeon is OP, so I was able to deal with it pretty easily...

This is really off topic but I've been playing The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds recently. It is really an awesome handheld game. It's a lot of fun. I'm at the last dungeon now.

When I finish Zelda, I want to play EO again. It's hard to figure out what to do because I've already beaten both 3DS Etrian Odyssey games. I can't decide if I want Persona Q even though it got good reviews.

having some trouble in the 2nd labyrinth (Misty Ravine), i mean i'm at the second floor now and am running out of symbols to use since it's such a mess with endless pathways etc.

What do you guys use when you run out of the 9 or10 numbers the games give you? I don't wanna start using arrows etc. i've been using those for other things so far...

Also: Will there be mazes later on that are even WORSE than this one in terms of looping pathways?

spiritfox

I just start putting notes on the icons to replace the numbers. Misty Ravine is the worst when it comes to this, but it occurs again later on, only a floor though.

Anteo

having some trouble in the 2nd labyrinth (Misty Ravine), i mean i'm at the second floor now and am running out of symbols to use since it's such a mess with endlesis pathways etc.

What do you guys use when you run out of the 9 or10 numbers the games give you? I don't wanna start using arrows etc. i've been using those for other things so far...

Also: Will there be mazes later on that are even WORSE than this one in terms of looping pathways?

you dont need the icons for that. you are always teleported to a place in the same horizontal or vertical position depending on what direction you were walking. just mark the teleport spot with a diffetent ink color

Edit: If you were walking in a horizontal line, you will end up in another spot in that line. iirc the game never puts different teleporters in the same line, unless one is for horizontal movement and other for vertical, and you can tell easily which is which qith the walls around

Edit 2: I think there is one case of 2 teleporters on the same line but they dont overlap so you can put an arrow to show in which direction they will send you

I just start putting notes on the icons to replace the numbers. Misty Ravine is the worst when it comes to this, but it occurs again later on, only a floor though.

that... is actually a good idea, thanks! Though it doesn't change the fact that it's still more cumbersome and annoying than simply looking at the numbers on the map and knowing where to go!

tuffy

Because the map consistently flips from one end to the other like an old Atari game, I actually stopped labeling the endpoints entirely. I'd leave the passages open at the edges of the map and it was pretty easy to spot which one led to where. I still made heavy use of the auto-walk arrows just so I wouldn't have to remember the correct rough to the end of the maze, though.

So i've taken the time to figure out how grimoire stones work and I actually quite like the system. Mainly because I can give my back line more TP, Defense, and the ability to equip shields.

I tried doing this with the first floor of the 6th stratum in Untold, but I actually ran out of notes before I ran out of number symbols...

Top Bottom